• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸Should I Try HEROIN?⫷

I'd have to hunt for it, but I'm 95% sure it's the case. PM Sekio and that would do. Otherwise I'll ask about it again in the megathread over there.

Sorta like if one were to be getting laid after 10 years of never once or even a lifetime of sex not that good, and meeting someone new who they think about all the time and has a lot of free time so long as you have some spare change for coffees and stuff. It isn't extreme or anything like rolls, it is very relaxing and content but you are able to keep your wits about you in any situation at the right dose. I was never caught in like 6 years because I was always function then just said I was sick but that is like luckiest case scenario and I didn't shoot I feel like when you cross that line that's when you start nodding off and getting caught and stuff more often. It still hurt me and pretty much ruined my whole entire life.

It is hard to pass up if you like it in fact your chances are slim to none. Is the point of trying the drug not to enjoy it? Because in this case if you do. You are fucked.

Your whole entire life.

Why would you want to nod out when you can smoke meth and stay up all night just imagine how much stuff you can get accomplished or torn apart

Why would you want to nod out when you can smoke meth and stay up all night just imagine how much stuff you can get accomplished or torn apart

Feels nasty on the body man. And even if I was to, I'd still like to have the opi to sleep without waiting 10+ hours for the fucking meth to wear off.

Even after 10 years clean I still have some sort of sick fascination with it. Heroin will eat your soul. It's never worth it. Not even once.

I know the thrust here is firmly towards harm reduction, and I understand this fully, but Heroin is one substance I would not encourage anyone to try. I have met exceedingly few "recreational" heroin users. On a long enough time line, your odds of escaping with your life, future and sanity intact are reduced to just about zero.

It's an incredibly slippery slope, and the bad part is you might not even realize you are fucked until it's too late. It feels so incredible that you can easily convince yourself that just one more time won't hurt and you will repeat that until you either realize you're dependent on it or you can't get any more and you get sick and realize you're dependent on it. Once you're dependent it's not really an issue of just willpower any more, and the deck is firmly stacked against you.

There is a reason why the drug has such an incredible reputation for it's addictive nature. That's because it is. And let's not forget about the laundry list of negatives that come with being addicted. You will be labeled and shamed by your community, friends, and family. Withdrawals are insanely brutal and somehow slow time down to a crawl so your 2 weeks of detoxing feels like eternity and then you have PAWS to deal with after that for months. You'll crush your own self image and learn to truly let yourself down in ways you can't possibly fathom. You will be amazed at the depths you will sink to and what you become capable of. People will never look at you the same and you will be able to tell every time. Even people you don't yet know will hear about you being a junkie before you meet or shortly after. And it goes on, and on, and on. Forever.

Is it worth it on the off chance that you will be a statistically anomaly and not wind up like so many countless others?

^largely because i didn't think it was the best thing ever (by my metric), I didn't try it again

but I have some gnarly thinly-veiled cravings even months afterwards, after just one day of doing it

Two years later & so many things have changed since I started...

I used to be a freak about clean needles , scrubbing & sanitizing the injection site.....got my 1st ER abscess that's still trying to heal.

Spent $ on my teeth because as an addict , I craved sugar & well I got a few cavities.

I still have the same job & my work ethic hasn't changed , but I don't care about my home/yard as much anymore.

No ODs yet , knock on wood , but that's because there's a tester who test every batch prior.

If I could go back I'd have never picked up this habit or a needle & I'm to the point where I'm dosing lower & weighing my options for rehab or short term taper.

DON'T start this habit , please. What doesn't affect you now will hit you later.

I've read up to page 12 and I still can't decide. The question I'm looking for the answer to is "should I try heroin {once}". I get that basically the more occasion's you do it, the greater the chance of getting addicted. I tried crack once and I thought about it non stop for about three days afterwards......so I kind of understood the potential for addiction and never did it again. Can this approach not be applied to heroin.....I mean can you not try it once and then when you get the urge to do it again say to yourself "ah this is the addictive pull everyone is on about" and not do it.....do you loose your ability to control your actions?

You can in theory try it once and not touch it again - it took me a few years before I got the 'fuck it' urge to go full out on it. I didn't actually enjoy it at first. But once I fell into a deep depression, I used it to stay alive basically. Since then, it's been a love/hate affair.

But why risk it? What's it worth to you? Losing everything isn't as fun as it sounds.

same reason I tried crack I guess. wanted to experience the high, wanted to know how high it was / what it felt like, wanted to know what the psychological pull was like afterwards.

curiosity ........killed the cat, I know

I tried crack a couple of times and never got hooked. But can't say the same for almost any other hard drug.

Opiates kill pain. When you're in pain whether it be psychological or physical your brain is gonna remember what took it away that one time. Then you've got the physical dependancy to deal with once you're through experimenting...

thanks for your advice, feel a bit let down as I was quite excited to try it and then read this thread and it seems like it's just too risky. There's a fair chance I may still try it sometime as, well basically I'm an idiot and 9/10 am more pushed to do something if everyone is saying not to. Maybe I'll find some other substance to try that's not as dangerous.....

I've read up to page 12 and I still can't decide. The question I'm looking for the answer to is "should I try heroin {once}". I get that basically the more occasion's you do it, the greater the chance of getting addicted. I tried crack once and I thought about it non stop for about three days afterwards......so I kind of understood the potential for addiction and never did it again. Can this approach not be applied to heroin.....I mean can you not try it once and then when you get the urge to do it again say to yourself "ah this is the addictive pull everyone is on about" and not do it.....do you loose your ability to control your actions?

Some people can. I've read about 15% of people who try heroin end up addicted. I would say that if you've had a past addiction issue with another substance then your odds are far worse. For me I wasn't addicted the first time I used. It was gradual. But once I got a taste my fate was likely sealed.

If it were that simple, almost nobody would get addicted.

Different people are different, I'm not gonna tell you it's you it's impossible to try heroin once, enjoy it a lot, and realize how addictive it is and not try it again. I'm sure someone out there has done that.

What I am gonna tell you is there are a LOT of heroin addicts for whom it has seriously harmed their lives, who started out thinking along these lines.

Heroin addiction is often the culmination of a million very small steps. I'll try it once then stop, I'll use it once a month, once a fortnight, on weekends only, every other day only. Then you're dependent, and your ability to make good choices is severely compromised by the duress of withdrawal.

This concept of "I can try it once and stop" is very frequently the first step on a destructive addiction. It's that first compromise.

Some people would ask you "why would you even start, why would you try it even once despite all the warnings". You'd try it once because you're making a justification for how you can try it once without severe harm. Every other destructive justification in heroin addiction is much the same.

Last edited:
I come back to this thread and reread the opening post all the time. Im having such a strong urge to use again... and I keep telling myself -- "It will only be one time, it wont hurt anything" But in reality, it will be many many times... I dont want to go down this path again, but im inching that way ever so slightly... God help me.

I come back to this thread and reread the opening post all the time. Im having such a strong urge to use again... and I keep telling myself -- "It will only be one time, it wont hurt anything" But in reality, it will be many many times... I dont want to go down this path again, but im inching that way ever so slightly... God help me.

Since this is a harm reduction site then I'll say if you DO decide to try it , make sure you follow the basic rules of safety ... 1) tolerance 1st ... 2) batch tested to be sure no fent because that'll kill you. 3) have a sitter. 4) decide which ROA - 1st time you should snort & realise you can OD even on snorting 5) don't mix drugs - heroin & Benzos/alcohol/other drugs can prove fatal.

I tried crack in 1994 & was not impressed. The high was quick (10 - 15 mins max) & left me with a hella headache.

My love/hate affair with heroin has been going on 2 yrs now. Blah.

If you have that "trigger" in your brain that loves opiate highs you may become addicted. Then again , you may try it once & never do it again. Be safe in whatever decision you make.