• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and Losartan Potassium interactions

Diazio

Greenlighter
Losartan potassium is a angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB) given as a first line of treatment for high blood pressure. Assuming that there are no associated heart problems, that blood pressure is between 140/85 and 150/90 and that prior to taking Losartan Potassium the person in question has previously taken MDMA many times without any problems, is there any chance that 25mg a day of Losartan Potassium (having been taken regularly for a number of months) might interact negatively, in anyway, with an intake of between 150-250mg of MDMA? If so what is the evidence out there? I'm struggling to find anything concrete with regards to potential interactions but this doesn't mean there isn't any.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

They seem to share the same enzyme that metabolizes them. I'm not sure what that entails, but it's something to look into. The enzyme is cytochrome P450 by the way.

Losartan Potassium is metabolised by Cytochrome P450 variants 2C9 and 3A4. Whereas MDMA seems to be metabolised primarily by the 2D6 variant. I'm no expert, but wouldn't this suggest that at least in terms of metabolism there wouldn't be any direct interaction? Even if there was, effectively the interaction would be to inhibit cytochrome P450, decrease the breakdown of MDMA, and thus in effect increase the potency of a particular dose? So therefore the advise would be to take less to avoid toxicity - assuming there was this interaction in the first place? Aka not something, for someone who is careful at least, to worry about that much?

Also I'm curious if there is any reason to think that the primary effects of Losartan Potassium - to cause vasodilation, lower blood pressure and increase potassium levels in the blood - would be by themselves things that may interact with the effects of MDMA which, in this regard, would be to increase heart rate and blood pressure etc. Also does MDMA increase potassium levels in the blood? If so this could be something to consider as there may be a chance of it contributing to increased potassium levels caused by Losartan Potassium, risking Hyperkalemia.

From my layman's knowledge, wouldn't it be safe to assume the major risk is if you have some cardiac problems or use MDMA regularly, thereby over time increasing the likelihood of cardiac problems by contributing to high blood pressure? Rather then there being any direct interaction between these drugs and thus no real immediate risk (assuming there is underlying cardiovascular health)?

So anyway any ideas as to the safety of taking mdma with hypertension, but no cardiac problems, and whilst taking 25mg a day losartan potassium?

Did you take it

Hi, I also take the same medicament and would like to take mdma. How was your experience? Thanks

Hi, I also take the same medicament and would like to take mdma. How was your experience? Thanks