• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Question about pre loading with 5HTP

elitenoobie

Greenlighter
I searched around the forums and skimmed through 30 threads or so on preloading 5htp.

From what i gathered is that:

- Preloading may or may not be placebo
- Too much 5htp will cause serotinin syndrome
- Pre loading can either diminish your roll or enhance your roll
- Not to take it on the day of your roll
- Not to take a high dose as it will upset your stomach ( people said 300mg~)

Now i was wondering whats a safe amount to take, in doses and how many days before a roll to intensify your roll ?

I know people take it to postload to help the depression and anxiety but even if preloading is placebo, might as well try ?

1. Too much 5-HTP will not cause serotonin syndrome, l-tryptophan will.
2. We always pre-loaded the day of the roll, usually about 8 hours before
3. Preloading with 5-HTP is most likely a placebo
4. 5-HTP can definitely upset your stomach at any dose
5. If you want to try it, take 100mg

Taking it days before you roll won't do anything to increase your roll. Serotonin has a short half-life so any elevation of serotonin will be gone in a matter of hours. Save your 5-HTP for the postload.

From my experience I find that if you preload 3+ months in advance it WILL intensify your roll, not to mention the general feeling of happiness. You'll get more bang for your buck. I have this theory that if you take a 5htp supplement every other day or daily for 3 months+ you will roll ultra monkey balls, harder than if you had not been taking 5-htp. This is from my experience, I only roll once or twice a year.

This is what I did: I preloaded with 5-HTP for 6 months+, sometimes taking them 1-2 times on the daily or taking a supplement every other day. When EDC came around I popped a molly and boy was I sweating. One pill kept me flying high for 5 hours+, shyt, I was still feeling the roll 3 days later. The comedown was alot easier to deal with as well. Also, test your drugs with the marquis reagent to make sure you're at least getting mdxx. They sell kits on amazon. Worth the investment.

From my experience pre loading only days in advance will do little to nothing, post-loading yes.

1. Too much 5-HTP will not cause serotonin syndrome, l-tryptophan will.
2. We always pre-loaded the day of the roll, usually about 8 hours before
3. Preloading with 5-HTP is most likely a placebo
4. 5-HTP can definitely upset your stomach at any dose
5. If you want to try it, take 100mg

Taking it days before you roll won't do anything to increase your roll. Serotonin has a short half-life so any elevation of serotonin will be gone in a matter of hours. Save your 5-HTP for the postload.

From my experience I find that if you preload 3+ months in advance it WILL intensify your roll, not to mention the general feeling of happiness. You'll get more bang for your buck. I have this theory that if you take a 5htp supplement every other day or daily for 3 months+ you will roll ultra monkey balls, harder than if you had not been taking 5-htp. This is from my experience, I only roll once or twice a year.

This is what I did: I preloaded with 5-HTP for 6 months+, sometimes taking them 1-2 times on the daily or taking a supplement every other day. When EDC came around I popped a molly and boy was I sweating. One pill kept me flying high for 5 hours+, shyt, I was still feeling the roll 3 days later. The comedown was alot easier to deal with as well. Also, test your drugs with the marquis reagent to make sure you're at least getting mdxx. They sell kits on amazon. Worth the investment.

From my experience pre loading only days in advance will do little to nothing, post-loading yes.

But i heard that pre loading on the day you roll will increase your chance of serotonin syndrome. So for sure 5htp won't cause serotonin syndrome ?

Yeah i'm waiting for mine to come in so i can try some !

But i heard that pre loading on the day you roll will increase your chance of serotonin syndrome. So for sure 5htp won't cause serotonin syndrome ?

Yeah i'm waiting for mine to come in so i can try some !

This is most likely a myth. Remember that 5-HTP is a natural metabolite of L-tryptophan and thus 5-HTP is always circulating the body to some extent. Supplementing a small amount of 5-HTP (50-100mg) on the day of rolling is unlikely to really change anything, let alone result in a drastically rare and severe syndrome such as SS.

With all the experimenting that we did with 5-HTP over the years, we decided that it was best saved for coming down. It seemed to blunt the roll a lot of the time but taking it when coming down would give a little bit of a boost and then help you get to sleep quicker and taking it the next few days preventing us from getting suicidal from even eating MDA all weekend.

People have greatly exaggerated serotonin syndrome. Getting hot and really fucked up is not serotonin syndrome, its rolling balls. Serotonin syndrome is a life-threatening condition and you wouldn't be aware that you had it if you did because of how fucked up you get. It is a very rare condition and is mostly fatal.

From my experience preloading with 300mg 5-HTP 6-7 hours before the roll definitely kicks it up a notch. When I compare it with the times I didn't preload with it I can definitely say the effect was weaker(not by too much though, but enough that I can be sure it's not placebo. At least in my case).

There's no argument it's an essential supplement for the comedown though, as others have stated. The real danger is taking MDMA and 5-HTP too close together/at the same time, this can and will cause Serotonin Syndrome. Just remember 5-HTP's half life is 5-6 hours(and I personally give it another hour just to be extra cautious).

I'd like to add that I agree with MagickalKat in regards to Serotonin Syndrome. People need to realize that the chances of it happening from one serotonergic drug are slim to none, it's a predictable outcome of mixing two or more serotonergic agents together(it's not even a syndrome, it's a form of poisoning). I'm not saying MDMA alone can't cause it because we've heard stories, but it will never happen at reasonable doses if MDMA is the only drug you have in your system that affects serotonin(and there isn't some inherent problem with your MAOI-A enzymes :p)

5-HTP doesn't cause serotonin syndrome. The body only converts 5-HTP to serotonin when it needs to.

The biggest chance of getting serotonin syndrome is mixing MDXX chemicals with an MAOI or another serotonergic, particularly DXM, or getting a PMA/PMMA pill that pushes past the very low safety threshold of PMA/PMMA.

AMT, 2C-T-7, and DXM are the primary common triggers for serotonin syndrome when mixed with MDMA. Any MAOI mixed with MDMA can trigger it and other things as well.

5-HTP is unlikely to trigger serotonin syndrome as the body only converts it to serotonin when its needed and in practice, l-tryptophan would probably be even less likely as it has to be converted to 5-HTP before it can be converted to serotonin.

That said, always exercise caution when mixing chemicals.

And 300mg of 5-HTP can cause issues with sensitive people. I personally can't handle more than 100mg without heading into dysphoria territory and that's on its own.

Not accurate, l-tryptophan is converted into serotonin according to the body's needs, because the body uses it for more than just serotonin manufacturing(niacin and auxins for example). 5-HTP though, can only be metabolized into serotonin and crudely "leaves your body no choice".

Obviously each person should titrate himself up with 5-HTP, 300mg is what personally works for me as i've found i'm quite unsensitive to it in lower doses(and usually will take 200mg once daily when using it as a mood/sleep enhancer). 300mg is more like an "attack dose" when preloading for MDMA.

Last edited:
5-HTP is converted to 5-HT via dopa decarboxylase and its co-factors as needed otherwise it is excreted, mostly unchanged, starting 90 minutes after oral administration.

Tryptophan has to go through tryptophan hydroxylase along with its co-factors to become 5-HTP, correct, but in both cases, the body doesn't create more 5-HT than it needs under normal circumstances which is why attack doses of 5-HTP are useless. If they had any benefit, we would see them being used in the treatment of depression.

The only difference between the two is that 5-HTP has one route - serotonin, while tryptophan administration can be diverted to other neurochemicals, which is why 5-HTP is more potent and effective than tryptophan for raising serotonin levels.

With all the experimenting that we did with 5-HTP over the years, we decided that it was best saved for coming down. It seemed to blunt the roll a lot of the time but taking it when coming down would give a little bit of a boost and then help you get to sleep quicker and taking it the next few days preventing us from getting suicidal from even eating MDA all weekend.

People have greatly exaggerated serotonin syndrome. Getting hot and really fucked up is not serotonin syndrome, its rolling balls. Serotonin syndrome is a life-threatening condition and you wouldn't be aware that you had it if you did because of how fucked up you get. It is a very rare condition and is mostly fatal.

Hey thanks for all the replies guys !

Just to gather from what everyone is saying is that:

- mdma/mda + 5htp wont cause serotonin syndrome ?

- postload 5htp for comedown/depression

^ correct me if im wrong

just two question, does taking 5htp longterm cause any harm or anything e.g. 100-300mg every night cause i read someone that someone said don't take it for 5days +

lets just say theres a 2 day event coming up, u don't want to go sober. After the first day of rolling, you take 5htp to help with come down and replenish serotonin levels. Then the next day you roll again. I know its not advisable to roll two days in a row but would taking the 5htp be stupid in this case ?

I don't think anyone can say MDxx + 5-HTP won't cause Serotonin Syndrome. It is however, very unlikely.

SS isn't "mostly fatal", though. If you get treatment in time it has a very, very good survival rate but without help you are at serious risk of death

As far as rolling 2 days in a row goes, it would seem the 5-HTP in between would be completely useless. Personally I see little reason to use this drug when you can get the same benefits without the risk just by eating a tuna sandwich

lets just say theres a 2 day event coming up, u don't want to go sober. After the first day of rolling, you take 5htp to help with come down and replenish serotonin levels. Then the next day you roll again. I know its not advisable to roll two days in a row but would taking the 5htp be stupid in this case ?

It wouldn't help. It may not hurt, but I really really doubt it would help at all.

I don't think anyone can say MDxx + 5-HTP won't cause Serotonin Syndrome. It is however, very unlikely.

SS isn't "mostly fatal", though. If you get treatment in time it has a very, very good survival rate but without help you are at serious risk of death

As far as rolling 2 days in a row goes, it would seem the 5-HTP in between would be completely useless. Personally I see little reason to use this drug when you can get the same benefits without the risk just by eating a tuna sandwich

do you know whats the recommendation dosage or...? What about the longterm question

I haven't taken it, so not really. I'd just go for the standard 150mg pill though, there's not much reason to go more or less. I may give it a shot after this weekend though, as there is quite a bit of evidence that it can be very helpful after MDMA abuse, especially in the short term.

As for long term - it is a prescribed medication that some people take everyday, so it's not like you'll die if you take it for a week. Personally I just think if you're looking for such a long term boost to your serotonin levels; a healthy diet high in L-Tryptophan matched with exercise and sunlight would be much more beneficial. It's bioefficiency is actually extremely low, the majority of it is filtered and pissed out before it ever reaches the brain. To produce serotonin naturally you would normally eat a food like turkey, tuna, beans/seeds or other foods high in L-Tryptophan and that would be converted to 5-HTP in a manner that was developed through thousands of years of evolution. Now-a-days, we just completely skip a step and take a pill instead :\

Do make sure to take B vitamins (specifically B6) with it and eat healthy alongside taking the pill, it should significantly increase results.

I wouldn't recommend 150mg, we always took a 50mg capsule every other hour or so.

I wasn't aware that 5-HTP was a prescription medication. Its a supplement here in the states.

It has a higher safety margin than l-tryptophan does and it doesn't have any path to a biologically active agent that we know of besides serotonin unlike l-tryptophan. It is very unlikely to have long term side effects but I suppose just about anything can.

Great conversation. If one uses 5HTP before MDMA, wouldn't their receptors down regulate causing an attenuated roll? : (

I haven't taken it, so not really. I'd just go for the standard 150mg pill though, there's not much reason to go more or less. I may give it a shot after this weekend though, as there is quite a bit of evidence that it can be very helpful after MDMA abuse, especially in the short term.

As for long term - it is a prescribed medication that some people take everyday, so it's not like you'll die if you take it for a week. Personally I just think if you're looking for such a long term boost to your serotonin levels; a healthy diet high in L-Tryptophan matched with exercise and sunlight would be much more beneficial. It's bioefficiency is actually extremely low, the majority of it is filtered and pissed out before it ever reaches the brain. To produce serotonin naturally you would normally eat a food like turkey, tuna, beans/seeds or other foods high in L-Tryptophan and that would be converted to 5-HTP in a manner that was developed through thousands of years of evolution. Now-a-days, we just completely skip a step and take a pill instead :\

Do make sure to take B vitamins (specifically B6) with it and eat healthy alongside taking the pill, it should significantly increase results.

Whats your opinion on preloading with 5htp a week before a roll? e.g. taking 5htp every night till the day of the roll ?

edit: what does vitamin b or b6 do ?

Cat said:
The only difference between the two is that 5-HTP has one route - serotonin, while tryptophan administration can be diverted to other neurochemicals, which is why 5-HTP is more potent and effective than tryptophan for raising serotonin levels.

Also, if you eat a remotely adequate diet, tryptophanhydroxylase is saturated.

Whats your opinion on preloading with 5htp a week before a roll? e.g. taking 5htp every night till the day of the roll ?

This type of dosing could lead to downregulation of 5ht receptors and then an attenuated roll. Or not. I have no other explanation for anecdotes of 5htp reducing mdma's fx.

leet noob(saibot) said:
edit: what does vitamin b or b6 do ?

It catalyzes enzymatic conversion of 5htp to 5ht, but supplementation facilitates this mostly prior to BBB penetration, so it's counterproductive.

ebola

Why on earth would you need to pre-load that far in advance? 3+ months? Dude your tolerance is back to near baseline after a month.

it's crazy what some people do just to have one good roll.

Personally I see little reason to use this drug when you can get the same benefits without the risk just by eating a tuna sandwich

lol I totally agree with this. 5htp supplements seem pretty bogus to me. I'd rather eat a banana.

5htp + MDMA or near MDMA use can totally cause seratonin syndrome. I remember back when I was trying to fight the beast of MDMA tolerance with 5htp I took it on the comedown as I was going to bed and developed mild symptoms. Another time I took it the day of and had the same thing happen. Don't waste your time with this stuff.

Last edited: