Mental Health Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Support and Advice

i get this shit bad, i stay to myself all winter pretty much, do drugs, don't have sex, basically completely withdrawn, i'm feeling good now that winter is pretty much over, and more importantly daylight savings is done.

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Okay so it will soon be the time of year when the clocks go back in most places and we get fuck all sunlight. I always get SAD during the winter months and it makes my bipolar depression so much worse. I end up self medicating alot with more morphine then i am prescribed, more benzos then i am prescribed and taking loads of sleeping pills.

I have tried a few medications for this in the past and i have taken Amitriptyline, Trimipramine and bupropion. So far i find Bupropion to work the best which is probably because it is a DNRI thus a stimulating anti-depressant. However it doesn't always work as it should. I was thinking about maybe trying a MAOI like Selegiline but unfortunately in Canada it's only approved for Parkinson's so i doubt my doc would script me the pills. I could get them online easy enough but it's stupid that we don't have the Emsam patch here. Id even be willing to try a old irreversible MAOI like Parnate to avoid the hellish bipolar depression brought on by SAD but it has a rep for causing mania due to it's stimulating effects.

I am just wondering what do people here with SAD do to get through the winter and what if any medications you take.

Last edited:
Okay so it will soon be the time of year when the clocks go back in most places and we get fuck all sunlight. I always get SAD during the winter months and it makes my bipolar depression so much worse. I end up self medicating alot with more morphine then i am prescribed, more benzos then i am prescribed and taking loads of sleeping pills.

I have tried a few medications for this in the past and i have taken Amitriptyline, Trimipramine and bupropion. So far i find Bupropion to work the best which is probably because it is a DNRI thus a stimulating anti-depressant. However it doesn't always work as it should. I was thinking about maybe trying a MAOI like Selegiline but unfortunately in Canada it's only approved for Parkinson's so i doubt my doc would script me the pills. I could get them online easy enough but it's stupid that we don't have the Emsam patch here. Id even be willing to try a old irreversible MAOI like Parnate to avoid the hellish bipolar depression brought on by SAD but it has a rep for causing mania due to it's stimulating effects.

I am just wondering what do people here with SAD do to get through the winter and what if any medications you take.

Hey android have you heard About an ultraviolet light that goes in your room to mimic the suns rays? I've heard this can be effective for this disorder although they are quite pricey many people say its worth it when you live in places like Canada. My buddy bought one and it's helped him tremendously with his S.A.D.

glad this was bumped. mine is starting to sink in early this year.

Does anyone else get ravenous as a bear, and lazy as can be when this begins to kick in?

Has anyone had luck with light therapy? I've been thinking about purchasing a lamp for SAD for several years now, but they're kind of pricy. :(
Yes. I grow bonsai trees and my grow lights help a hellofalot with my depressive nature.

Oh and obviously having trees inside my home helps. Fukien tea trees. They have these bad ass little white flowers and the leaves are deep green.

Last edited by a moderator:
Throughout human history pagan religions in the northern hemisphere have considered this time of waning light and shortened days to be a time when the veil between the world of life and the world of death is the thinnest. Perhaps what we now call a disorder is simply a deep recognition of the sadness and uncertainty connected with impermanence (our own and the world we observe)? I have always felt more vulnerable to sadness in autumn but I can say also that with age has come an acceptance and even a grudging welcome of that emotion at this time of year. Looking at everything as a disorder is the madness of this age IMO.

Does anyone else get ravenous as a bear, and lazy as can be when this begins to kick in?

YES!

Throughout human history pagan religions in the northern hemisphere have considered this time of waning light and shortened days to be a time when the veil between the world of life and the world of death is the thinnest. Perhaps what we now call a disorder is simply a deep recognition of the sadness and uncertainty connected with impermanence (our own and the world we observe)? I have always felt more vulnerable to sadness in autumn but I can say also that with age has come an acceptance and even a grudging welcome of that emotion at this time of year. Looking at everything as a disorder is the madness of this age IMO.

i never knew that before! that's quite an interesting perspective. I find myself particularly sad in autumn also.

3d_wall_clock_hd_preview.jpg

Im doing really good this year, but thought this thread may need a rebirth for others.

Solstice is right around the corner.. then we start adding<3

God I hate the winter! getting motivation to do anything this time of year is an effort for me. I sleep longer, I struggle more getting up and get insomnia.

I'm thinking about getting one of those lights also, what one would you recommend?

roll on summertime!!

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HF3321-60-Hf3321-goLITE/dp/B003XN9ZQQ/ref=pd_sim_hpc_8

This is the one I got. Very happy with it. It combined with regular 4 x a week aerobic exercise and i'm pretty much symptom free. I still eat like a bear about to go into hibernation during the early dark time, but i'm not pissing and moaning. I used to get it pretty bad, easily affected my life in real negative ways a few times.

if you end up getting it, throw in some exercise and i hope you get results like i have.

that's so interesting. i love hearing about paganism, it always makes the most sense to me.

so what about this... reverse SAD? i feel extremely depressed in the summery months and find that the sun makes me really irritable. my mood and well being is always much, much better in the winter months.

After reading this thread I decided to invest in a SAD light box, it came yesterday about 1:30pm and as I'm working nights I tried it out straight away and pretty much had it on the whole time until I left for work. sometimes I'd just have it on in the background whilst I'm doing stuff, other times I'd put it right up close to my face and stare into it for ages.

I'm not exaggerating but I feel its instantly made a difference to my mood and energy levels, I feel way more sociable and chirpy and even feel mentally sharper! I haven't felt like this since... the summer lol!

I'd of laughed at the idea of a simple light making such a difference but reading peoples experiences of it on here inspired me to purchase one and even after one use I can tell it's gonna be worth it. maybe it's a coincidence and I'm just having a good day I dunno, let's see the difference in a few weeks.

I've also ordered one of those sunrise lights, what's your opinions on those?

^ right, my thoughts exactly.. I was like "sure some silly little light is going to make a difference" yep I was very wrong and so glad I was.

My psychiatrist swears by them but warned that it may induce hypomamia. Anyone experience that?