• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Preventing Meth Mouth

CloudedBrainz

Greenlighter
Hey there fellow Bluelighters! This post is for those who use Methamphetamine and want to prevent Meth Mouth. It's a common misconception that only meth smokers get Meth Mouth. That simply isn't true. No matter the route of administration, meth causes a decrease in saliva production which leads to dry mouth and tooth decay.

Here are some tips I've found that really helped me when I was doing meth. I was smoking it 50+ times a day for a month and this stuff helped wonderfully.

Biotene: Biotene is a wonderful product that you can buy as a gum AND a mouthwash and helps protect your mouth from chronic dryness. I used the gum when I was tweaking and used the mouthwash a lot.

Nightguard: Nightguards can be purchased at Safeway, Wal-Mart, Walgreens and so forth. They are retainers with a soft chewy bit to bite down on. They look a little bit funny to use but I used them at parties and no one could tell I had them in. It's awesome because you can give into the teeth grinding and grind all you want with these babies.

Brush your teeth
: It sounds simple but it isn't. Brushing teeth can erode enamel just as much as meth use can. I would brush my teeth 6 times per day extremely lightly with a supersoft tooth brush. Just enough to get the plaque and meth off of my teeth. Make sure you brush very slowly and lightly and avoid the gums because meth makes them sensitive especially if you smoke it. Don't brush hard or fast, you're only fucking your teeth up even more.

Flossing: Only floss once per day while tweaking because the gums are usually sore and hurt so you don't want to overstimulate them.

Mouthwash
: PLEASE Don't use mouthwash that contains alcohol in it. It will further dry your already dry mouth and will hurt your sensitive mouth tissues. I recommend the Biotene mouth wash ONLY.

Water: Yes sugary and carbonated beverages are lovely when tweaking but it's horrible for your teeth which are already being bombarded with all that meth! Stay away from sodas and juices if at all possible. Drink at least 30 fl oz a day of water and limit your sugar intake. Dry mouth + sugar + meth= NIGHTMARE!!

Food: If you do come down and need to eat, choose something natural and full of vitamins and minerals like vegetables. Try and avoid anything spicy as to irritate your already sore mouth and throat. Don't eat a bunch of candy either. You need something small, healthy and non sugary. When you are done eating, rinse with Biotene and floss very gently.

Slowing down or Quitting Meth
: You can also slow down on meth use, which helps greatly in reducing Meth Mouth. The best option however is to quit using Meth in any way shape or form and see how your mouth and teeth are doing. Chances are if you were obsessed with blowing clouds all day every day like me, you'll have some stains that just won't go away even months after not touching any meth.

Best of luck... hopefully this info helps someone!

Nightguard: Nightguards are retainers with a soft chewy bit to bite down on. They look a little bit funny to use but I used them at parties and no one could tell I had them in. It's awesome because you can give into the teeth grinding and grind all you want with these babies.

LOL! love it

Great post OP! As someone who smokes meth on a somewhat regular basis this helps a lot. I don't have "meth mouth" as I do my best to take care of myself when I'm not on uppers but I'll definitely be taking all of this into consideration.

I've got to get a Nightguard, I clench and grind my teeth so bad I don't know why I never thought of it before. Thanks! =D

Gum, chew, baby, chew!

lolol...
what I'm dying to know is - did the OP pull any tail out of any of the parties he attended while sporting said mouthguard/nightguard? i'm totally out of the loop in reference to what's hip with the kids these days, maybe nightguards are totally hot right now?

Thanks for your contribution! This topics been covered so much, it'll be good to be able to link people here instead of having to search for a post I've made like dozens of times haha. Great job!! Although this probably would be better suited in the meth megathread, I may end up merging it. Either way kudos.

Something about smoking H fucked my teeth up bad also. funny how this is almost a pamphlet you`d see at the dentist`s office with the exception that it`s geared towards tweakers haha.

I like them apples with caramels!

My mouth is fucked up too after just one week smoking meth. This one hit I took I could actually feel my gums tightening around my incisors.
I have some damn sores on my tongue from where it got too interested in my retaining wire, and ulcers in either side of my gums.

Fuck that. I just flushed the rest of my shit. I'm sticking with good old vodka.

Gum, chew, baby, chew!

My friends all swear by gum, at least when they use MDMA. I've tried it a few times but I always end up spitting my gum out every 10 minutes to smoke a cig, especially if I'm tweaked out.

I've also heard that smoking meth makes dry mouth 1000x worse than other methods, though I haven't smoked it so IDK. Chewing sugar free gum helps keep saliva flowing. Brush 2x daily and floss before bed. Avoid sugary/starchy food and drinks as much as possible. Don't smoke tobacco, as that further constricts blood vessels and dries out the mouth. Alcohol is no bueno either.

Higher doses of Magnesium help me too like 400mg or a little more

Mg2+ ions are weak muscle relaxants

Just so you know I'm a female so no I wasn't out trying to get any "tail". My old tweaker buddies and I had a party where they wanted to see the beginner (me) get really spun and I smoked half a gram of ice and started chewing on the colored pencils I was drawing with. Then I realized I had my mouth guard, which actually looked a lot less retarded than chewing up colored pencils. :D

My friends all swear by gum, at least when they use MDMA. I've tried it a few times but I always end up spitting my gum out every 10 minutes to smoke a cig, especially if I'm tweaked out.

Gum isn't good due to the high likelihood of it containing sugar, and other gross ingredients like aspartame, sorbitol, other laxative type shit.

Definitely don't chew gum, you all should be thinking less about what to chew on and more on how to reduce the teeth grinding alltogether...

I use chelated magnesium, 300-600mg (600 TOPS) in addition to a plethora of multivitamins, EPA+DHA concentrated omega-3s, coconut oil.

It's no panacea but it definitely makes the difference between uncontrollable teeth grinding / gum biting / tongue chewing accidents and a more, psychological "I want to grind my teeth as a release for this energy. Which I try my best to counter with a "If you grind your teeth you'll be doing long=term health concerns to your teeth and entire dental/oral area.... remember the pain you were in from wisdom tooth extraction? That's what I've heard meth-mouth can feel like, but there is no cure, so you know what, find a better way to release that stress or not get that tweaked out to begin with.

I no longer use illicit methamphetamine but take legally prescribed dextro-meth (which is wayyyyy smoother than racemic street methamp) in doses between 5mg-30mg at the most, and it makes my mouth a little dry but NOTHING like crystal, which also had a horrible comedown whereas the pharma-meth of the pure dextro isomer doesn't have a comedown it's just a gentle transition, that is, if I'm even awake for it. The fact that it, and microdosing with methamphetamine in general, does not contribute to my insomnia. Sometimes dextro-methamp feels so hypnotic I'll wonder if it's possible I just did a shot of midazolam but that's not possible.

Everyone reacts differently. Just like how tweakface takes their gum out to smoke cigs, I only chew gum when I'm smoking cigs ;) Unique body chemistry, not everyone reacts the same, nor does everyone use the same drugs supplied by the same manufacturer supplied in the same quantity or quality. Too many factors to begin factoring in. Bit of a catch-22, but the solution is: Take less meth. If your teeth are grinding, then there's a pretty high fucking chance that you're taking hundreds if not closer to thousands of miligrams of the crystal methamphetamine sold/made/stored/cut/distrbuted in every neighborhood in this country.

Great reply, tricomb. I have to agree with your statement about taking less meth. I wish I had known that as a beginner! I guess that's what I get for smoking with addicts. :p You know gum didn't even help? I had 4 pieces of gum in my mouth and if anything it made me bite my tongue and cheeks more & grind my teeth. I also agree with the grinding being a means to express that excess energy from tweaking or rolling. Makes a lot of sense!

Something about smoking H fucked my teeth up bad also. funny how this is almost a pamphlet you`d see at the dentist`s office with the exception that it`s geared towards tweakers haha.

H gives you hard core dry mouth and then you nod in and out letting the bad bacteria fester. Old ass post but I'm sure someones wondering the same thing... :/

Haha! Gotta love this tweaker dentist brochure :)
However I would suggest flossing gently 2-3 times a day, even if your gums are sensitive. Parodontitis treatment is no joke and costs an insane amount of money.
Ever since I've had this treatment I've been flossing like a madman.
I used meth daily for years - orally, in pill form, and I never smoked it - and I brushed my teeth 3 times a day while using, but I didn't floss regularly.
Here I am, years later, a few thousand dollars poorer because of that.

I would have to completely agree with you InvisibleEye, Not flossing isn't the right course of action, if you aren't used to flossing start 1-2x a day and eventually after you eat, or use in this particular thread. Leaving your gums alone will just allow there sensitivity to anything/everything just become greater and great, next thing you know its to late. Preventive measures are going to be what save those pearly whites in the end, W/O stating the obvious of not using. :)

Great info and true but if you just snort it and flush nasally after all you do is drink water constantly and get some Colgate and smokers mouthwash .

I think snorting might be worse than smoking due to vasocinstriction of the upper sinus capillaries and posibility of necrotising the upper teeth roots due to lack of oxygenated blood as this has been shown in excessive cocaine snorting where the individual loses all their upper teeth due to snorting so one would imagine methamphetamine to be capable of doing the same? Regardless I've been using and keeping up with oral hygiene and I've already noticed advancing decay on the surface of my back molars...could be to grinding of teeth? Ive noticed in pictures of meth mouth the decay starts from the gum line and moves upward, signaling that it is indeed the dry mouth that is the main culprit so in a sense if that is adressed it should slow the onset of meth mouth howrver im pretty sure that teeth will still experience decay I can testify to that. Ive noticed that a mouthwash of baking soda though is good for acid neutralization and also seems to stimulate saliva or mouth moisture. I believe that some sort of vitamin supplements would be helpful too as teeth are technically just bones and ive noticed while using my finger nails crack and break easy and get more brittle, could be doing same to teeth. Which nutrients are beneficial for nails and the like?