• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acupuncture

Maya

Bluelight Crew
Acupuncture has been an interesting form of medical treatment for me. I have read some information about how Acupuncture has bettered certain medical conditions such as Arthritis, headaches muscle cramps and so on. It is a procedure that involves penetration of the skin with needles to stimulate and correct the imbalance flow of our qi (life energy) through meridians (channel paths). However, the effectiveness of this Acupuncture is debatable whether it really helps alleviate the symptoms or it is just a "Placebo Effect."

Three of my colleagues have suggested to me to try Acupuncture for my current head tension/pressure. I may say that I am a very skeptical person when it comes to undergoing any type of medical treatments without researching documented evidences proving that it is an effective type of treatment. One of my colleagues informed me that her bladder infection did not come back after she went through Acupuncture treatments three times. Is this just some type of Placebo Effect or is this going to be worth it? I would like to know anyone who has tried and was successful with this type of treatment.

I'm a professional and licensed acupuncturist. When done correctly, it's far more than a simple placebo, especially when the meridian is activated. Low level acupuncturists who just stick needles in without getting the deqi (the heavy, travelling sensation) will not get the same result. The ancient Chinese medical system is aware of the energetic level of the body and I've spent years pouring through texts to learn more about point combinations and procedures. It's a different epistemology on top of having 2,500 years of recorded use, so it's a life-long learning project.

When you stimulate the meridians to influence the qi dynamic in the body, you are instructing the body to take on a new pattern while releasing the old one. The meridians have direct effects on the physical body: how qi flows influences physical form. With successive treatments, the new pattern becomes the normal pattern, and the syndrome of imbalance is resolved.

I've used it to cure (as is, complete remission or permanent resolution of) infertility, insomnia, depression, IBS, chronic fatigue syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome, amenorrhea and dysmenorrhea, impotence, stroke, high blood pressure, acid reflux, arthritis, etc. Once you understand the meridian circulation fo the body and what the different points can be used for, you can use it to treat practically anything.

Its diagnostic view of the body is mostly incompatible with modern medicine's mechanistic view, which is why modern medicine will dismiss TCM as a palcebo. Though, I find that the more I learn about all systems of medicine, there are interesting relationships between the their different views. Nonetheless, calling acupuncture purely a placebo is a combination of material reductionism's worldview and ignorance of how this system of medicine works, and is also quite disrespectful to people who have spent years trying to master it. I will say though that ALL forms of medicine rely on some degree of placebo. Even modern medicine understands that if the patient does not believe they are getting better, the success rate will drop. However, increasing the success rate requires an effective modality, which is what acupuncture is.

FYI... my education took 4 years of post-secondary before I could effectively acupuncture someone.

Last edited:
Thank you Foreigner for this detailed and useful information. I have decided to try Acupuncture and have left a message to an Acupuncturist close to our area. I have high expectations for this treatment and I am hoping that it will relieve the head pressure that I have been experiencing for months now.

Interesting. Im curious how it works out for you. I might give this a try when I get back from my trip.

Wow interesting. Maybe I'll try some acupressure first though. Needles scare the shit out of me. Ah!

I spoke to my colleague again today regarding her acupuncture appointments. She mentioned that she noticed a difference on her second appointment and that the pain from her bladder infection had subsided. She was given a special type of soup to consume for a couple of weeks to balance her system. She was told that her Yin-Yang was not balanced and that she should continue the Acupuncture treatment for three more times. My appointment is next week so I will definitely update you guys with any information I gather from the Acupuncturist including the type of herbs/food for daily intake.

^ Saying that your yin and yang are not balanced is the worst explanation ever, if that's the one you were given. Ask her what your specific TCM syndrome is, I am curious to know. :)

Foreigner, any in site on whether some acupuncture might help alleviating some symptoms of an MDMA come down? Like DP or insomnia or mood issues. Im sure its a deeper issue that what acupuncture can help but anything can help i guess.

Foreigner, any in site on whether some acupuncture might help alleviating some symptoms of an MDMA come down? Like DP or insomnia or mood issues. Im sure its a deeper issue that what acupuncture can help but anything can help i guess.

Acupuncture can help with depression and insomnia, but in the TCM system, there can be different reasons for these happening. Two people with insomnia could have two different root issues, and would thus receive two different treatments. Likewise, one person with depression and another person with insomnia could receive the same treatment, if their syndromes are the same.

Short answer, yes... especially if you have stopped taking MDMA.

Acupuncture can help with depression and insomnia, but in the TCM system, there can be different reasons for these happening. Two people with insomnia could have two different root issues, and would thus receive two different treatments. Likewise, one person with depression and another person with insomnia could receive the same treatment, if their syndromes are the same.

Short answer, yes... especially if you have stopped taking MDMA.

Ill give it a shot after my trip. 2 months in the wilderness to get my head out of this long ass come down.

So I went to my Acupuncture appointment today and felt so relaxed afterwards. The Acupuncturist said that I need to do it twice a week for 2-3 months. Thank God I have it covered on my benefits plan!

On the assessment, he asked me what my symptom was and so I told him that I am experiencing head pressure and slight dizziness due to the blood blow being affected by my drug use and that I have stopped taking any drugs. He checked my pulse and told me that my liver is slightly heated. He asked me if I used to drink a lot and I said yes and I still drink occasionally. He told me that I shouldn't drink hard liquor anymore and if I want to drink alcohol I should stick to a glass of wine.

He placed a total number of 11 needles on my body: 4 on the top of my head close to my forehead, 2 still on the top of my head but the parietal area 1 at the back of my neck area and 4 at my back close to the liver area. The needles were left on my body for about 15 minutes with a lighting that brought heat that will help the blood flow of the body. After 15 minutes he took out the needles and massaged the areas he applied the needle into with a special ointment. I felt very relaxed after and notice a decrease on my head pressure.

He didn't prescribe any herbs/remedies rather than me tapping the 5 parts of my head (from top to back) every morning for two minutes. He said that it should help me with the head pressure. I also asked him how long until I will notice an improvement on my condition and he said that slowly I will notice it in 2 months or so and I just need to be consistent with my appointments. I have another appointment on Thursday and I am really excited to go again. I have never felt a relief like this in a while so I am really happy that I went for it!

Ah okay... dizziness due to liver heat/fire. That makes sense. He's having you tap your head from top to back because that will pull the energy downward and drain it from your head. This would be the energetic way of dealing with the averse uprising of liver heat. If you were to do the reverse (back to top), it would raise even more of that heat to your head, causing more pressure.

That's great news that you are experiencing relief!

Wow awesome to hear. I will definitely give it more consideration then. Seems like it can't hurt to give it a try for my head pressure as well.

Been meaning to try this for allergies. Not that I have heard great things for its direct impact on allergies but for balancing the body, which could better equip me to deal with allergies.

Been meaning to try this for allergies. Not that I have heard great things for its direct impact on allergies but for balancing the body, which could better equip me to deal with allergies.

you should definitely try it! I just had my second appointment today and I feel awesome very relaxed! I had 8 needles on my head, one needle on each back of my ear and and one on each wrist. I have another appointment next week and I can't wait!

I don't mean to take over your thread, but does anyone have experience with acupuncture for anxiety?

I don't mean to take over your thread, but does anyone have experience with acupuncture for anxiety?

I am currently in recovery from an mdma comedown and I am using Acupuncture for both my head pressure and anxiety. It has been helping a lot and I feel very relaxed and releases all the stress and tension from my body. My Acupuncturist does Acupuncture and Acupressure and both are very helpful.

I am currently in recovery from an mdma comedown and I am using Acupuncture for both my head pressure and anxiety. It has been helping a lot and I feel very relaxed and releases all the stress and tension from my body. My Acupuncturist does Acupuncture and Acupressure and both are very helpful.

I am definitely going to try it now =D I've always been skeptical, but I'm going to go in with an open mind.

So I went to my Acupuncture appointment today and felt so relaxed afterwards. The Acupuncturist said that I need to do it twice a week for 2-3 months. Thank God I have it covered on my benefits plan!

Lucky! Unfortunately insurance doesn't cover acupuncture in my state, which turns it into a cash business. I've been getting acupuncture for years for everything from opiate w/d, to anxiety, to benzo w/d, to alcohol w/d. Right now I have been using it to help cut down on my cravings for drinking and to give me a melty boost in the evenings. Definitely helps.

Where did you go to school foreigner? My g/f graduated from pacific college of oriental medicine, chicago.

I was getting acupuncture treatments from my pain management doctor. I have back and neck problems and was getting bad headaches. I was reluctant to try this because needles scare me! But they didn't hurt and it really did help whereas medications can only do so much. I would definitely recommend it for people suffering from pain or tension.