• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The ugly truth behind that cup of coffee

poledriver

Bluelighter
The ugly truth behind that cup of coffee

EVERY morning, millions of people perform an essential daily ritual - having their first cup of tea or coffee. It concentrates the mind and acts as a pick-me-up.

Or does it? The latest research suggests that familiar buzz doesn't so much as give us a lift, but fights the caffeine withdrawal symptoms - fatigue, mental fogginess and a dull headache - that have kicked in since our last cup.

Indeed, experts suggest that this morning ritual is actually a sign of mass drug dependency.

"People who consume caffeine regularly will become dependent on it - if you take caffeine away from them, they will function below par,"

says Peter Rogers, professor of biological psychology at Bristol University and a leading expert on caffeine.

"They just don't function normally without the drug on board. If it's your first tea or coffee of the day, it gets you back to normal, but beyond that you don't get much more of a kick."

Professor Rogers has studied coffee and its effects for more than 20 years and, as a result, he and other members of his team have given up caffeine.

"On balance, caffeine is not particularly helpful. It triggers withdrawal and increases your blood pressure, which is not a good thing," he says.

"I sometimes think one of the biggest effects of my research work has been on my department. Four or five colleagues have given up caffeine, and we're all on decaf."

WHY COFFEE DOESN'T GIVE YOU A BOOST

THE idea that caffeine doesn't perk up your brain might sound absurd, but that's what Professor Roger's research shows.

In one key study, around 300 volunteers - half had a moderate to high caffeine intake, the others had a low intake - were asked to stop drinking coffee for 16 hours before undergoing tests.

The volunteers were randomly split into two groups and given a placebo or coffee. The results, in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology, were intriguing.

Though the regular coffee drinkers did have an increase in alertness following the coffee, this only made them as alert as non-coffee drinkers who had the placebo.

In other words, drinking coffee doesn't make us any more alert than non-coffee drinkers.

Although if barista Kazuki Yamamoto, who took this photo, served you up this coffee you wouldn't complain.

... BUT WHY DO YOU THINK IT DOES

Caffiene stops a brain chemical known as adenosine having an effect. Normally, adenosine helps slow down reactions in the body.

As caffeine effectively stops adenosine latching onto cells, it means that when we drink it our body is constantly on the accelerator, not the brake.

Then within a few hours of stopping drinking coffee, the withdrawal effects start to kick in. In some cases, they can even cause flu-like symptoms.

Our body experiences a flood of adenosine, leading to fatigue. Many will also experience a dull headache.

This is because caffeine narrows blood vessels in the brain, says Professor Rogers, so when we stop drinking it, there is an increase in blood flow, which triggers a headache.

"On the rare occasions I have drunk coffee for a few days, when I stop I start to feel under the weather and think I am coming down with a cold," says Professor Rogers.

"But then I remember - this is what caffeine withdrawal feels like."

IT WON'T IMPROVE CONCENTRATION

Anothner recent study by Professor Rogers involving 300 volunteers found coffee doesn't increase alertness, concentration or reaction time, but it will keep you awake.

"I have coffee when I'm driving across Europe, as I know it will keep me awake. But it wouldn't be helpful if I was trying to write a scientific paper late at night as it doesn't help focus or thinking."

IS CAFFEINE GOOD OR BAD FOR THE HEART?

ASIDE from triggering a physical dependency, what other effects does caffeine have on our health? One week we read a report showing caffeine is good for us; the next that it is bad. The experts are fiercely divided.

"It is a well-established and reliable fact that caffeine increases blood pressure," says caffeine researcher Jack James, professor of psychology at Reykjavik University.

"The increase is modest, but likely to be clinically significant over the course of a lifetime of consuming caffeine.

"I'm confident that in time caffeine consumption will be regarded as a risk to cardiovascular health."

Cont -

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...ee/story-fneuzkvr-1226666607297#ixzz2Wi4NKcad

The sleepiness I feel in the morning isn't caffeine withdrawal syndrome, and espresso completely eradicates that. It also makes me better able to run for many miles without collapsing.

i know heaps of people love coffee, but i agree with the sentiment of the article

i think a cup of coffee raises your body's ph to a point where it would take 30 glasses of water to dilute?

anyway i know if i have a couple weeks or a month away from coffee and i have a normal latte it can feel like a mini heart attack and i havent been that sensitive to caffeine in the past

also theres the problems that bulletproof executive brings up about the problems inherent in the coffee beens that most of the world consumes, i dont know a whole lot about that in detail though

Professor Rogers has studied coffee and its effects for more than 20 years and, as a result, he and other members of his team have given up caffeine.

^ thats kind of significant to me

coffee is lovely!

I definitely am addicted.
Today, I had only a quarter-cup, and I felt lethargic and cloudy-headed all day.
I hate being addicted to anything.
I am happy to read about research that suggests that coffee is healthy, but I feel worried because I can tell that it is not easy on my system.
The benefits are amazing: I can go from slow to full-energy, and as numbers said, it definitely helps with exercise.
Exercise lowers blood pressure, so maybe it is worth it?
But it is hard to digest, and gives me the runs if I drink too much.
I can also tell that it is hard on my heart.

I think that it is best to use it once in a while, but then I am tired the next day,because of the coffee, and drink it again, and then the next day...

I once spent a week drinking a lot of coffee, more than I've had in my life at that point, and I remember that by the end of the week I'd get to a point during the day and think "Everything will be better once I have a coffee". Kinda shocked me that I'd think that and clued me in that I was getting to be addicted to it ... am always aware now that it wouldn't take too much for me to start drinking it far more often.

i know heaps of people love coffee, but i agree with the sentiment of the article

i think a cup of coffee raises your body's ph to a point where it would take 30 glasses of water to dilute?

anyway i know if i have a couple weeks or a month away from coffee and i have a normal latte it can feel like a mini heart attack and i havent been that sensitive to caffeine in the past

also theres the problems that bulletproof executive brings up about the problems inherent in the coffee beens that most of the world consumes, i dont know a whole lot about that in detail though

^ thats kind of significant to me

Coffee is only slightly acidic. Don't know where you got that.

Two studies, especially with volunteers from the same area, isn't convincing. I'd like to see a long-term meta-analysis.

Everybody knows coffee only works well when you're programming video games. Did they include computer programmers in their survey? ;)

Bah coffee is overrated. As is alcohol. Here, try some taliban heroin.

The occasional cup of brew is nice, but caffiene is such a shitty (and addictive) stimulant that I abstain 99.999% of the time after being thoroughly addicted to coca-cola and coffee.

I enjoy coffee if i'm doing a long shift or need to stay awake to put in number more hours of revision, but it's useless to me focus-wise and causes rushing thoughts which can be frustrating when you're anxious, worried or paranoid. I find though that tea and hot chocolate also keep me up for a little longer, so i tend to just drink them.

Same thing is true of (cigarette) smokers: they feel calmer and more focused after a cigarette, but only because the withdrawals from the last one are causing anxiety/restlessness.

I can't tolerate any amount of caffeine which is why I resorted to other stimulants in the first place. It burns the shit out of my bladder, makes me a nervous wreck, gives me awful sugar cravings and feels corrosive in general. Too many side effects. It's like 10 minutes of energy followed by 4 hours of bitchy misery. NopeNOPENoPenope.

The dose makes the poison. People look down on amphetamines but a 20 mg Adderall in the morning would definitely be easier on the body than 3 Monster Energy drinks (the daily limit).

Tea and Rockstars erry day! They have more than just caffeine, though. Tea is for relaxing and Rockstars gets me through my hypersocial job. Rockstar's energy blend gets me more than straight, gives me faster cognitive function and improved focus. Tea keeps me awake, fights wd, and relieve paranoia from smoking marijuana all day.

i wonder at what rate of consumption (maybe once per week is a good benchmark?) drugs like coffee, alcohol, medicines like klonopin or hydrocodone, start to lose effectiveness in the long term picture

Oh goodness me, legal drugs are addicting?!

Is disgusting this is news, everyone should know this

I find that if I continuously drink coffee I get restless and have to do something, which can be great for demanding situations. I like having a lot of energy and stimulants tend to focus that energy and make actual things happen. No where near as good as amphetamine that stuff makes my mind into a laser that burns through my tasks. Though they are a tool for when I need to go on a learning binge caffeine is good for normal usage