Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

DOM / 4mg - First Time - My Day With The Infamous STP

Morninggloryseed

Bluelight Crew
5/10/13
Dose: 4mg DOM
Taken at 8:30am.
Fell asleep at 3:00am the next morning. Duration.....14-18hr.

My Day With STP

After iboga I was invited to California to continue on my journey. The trip out West really congealed the insights, visions, and love from my iboga experience into the person I am now. Sure, I still have a lot of things I am working on but I really do love the person I am today. And I see the love reflected in those around me. Thank you Universe!

After California I found my mood significantly dampened. I began to study the great distance between where I saw myself in life, and where I was at. Out in California I was surrounded by people whose view towards what encompasses a ‘lifestyle’ was far more in harmony with the way I wanted to live my life. Coming back to the Midwest I find it much harder to find people who understand me. Sure, some of my close friends seemed to ‘get me’ but more often than not, friends and family do find I have gone off the deep end. Their concerns are so fundamentally different than mine that I feel at times like an alien.

Moreover, coming back from California left me with a very important question…what next? Now I am in the great struggle of deciding where I want my life to go, and what do I want to do now. The hard reality to face is that now I am an unemployed ex-junkie living with family. Which begs the question of what next? The idea of taking some menial job that does not utilize my education (or intelligence) after the intense spiritual awakening from iboga just holds not attraction.

A few days after California I woke up and decided to try the DOM. The taste of DOM was interesting…it tasted very similar to 2C-D but with a sharper ‘methanol’ taste. Probably just ‘chemical suggestion’ but then wine connoisseurs all claim to notice the most seemingly minor components.

Chronology:

0.0 4mg of DOM taken about 8:30am.

45min – I note a definite alert. Nothing more at this point beyond the awareness of something inside of me.

1.20 – Clearly I have taken a phenethylamine psychedelic. No visual effects yet, but the mind is spinning with energy.

1.40 – Visual effects are noted. Mostly of the ‘generic PEA’ type…nothing I haven’t seen before. I’d list the level as a +1.

2.20 – Not much more than before. DOM lives up to its legends as a long, slow developing trip.

3.00 – Effects seem fully developed. If I had to qualify the action of DOM, I’d say it is a hybrid between the LSD experience, and the 2C-E experience. Like LSD, DOM is extremely penetrating…it ‘gets into everything.’ Unlike LSD, there is no feeling of ‘holiness’ or ‘universal profoundness.’ My thoughts are fairly centered on the emotional, human level….instead of the spiritual, godly level. However, the mind is racing and it is difficult for me to gain any insights. I try hard to meditate and let go, but the body load makes it very difficult.

Some impressions: Wow, DOM is no joke. I measured out 8mg, then (thankfully) divided the dose in half and ate 4mg. Man, DOM is STRONG. It has a PUSH. Most of the time I sat imagining how TERRIBLE it would have been to have taken 5X the amount I did...I am pretty sure I would have lost my mind too if I thought it was LSD. And (as the literature suggests) it takes a good 4-5hr to build up to a peak. Also the term psychotomimetic came to mind...to be honest this word more approximated my state of mind that 'psychedelic.'

My state of mind was good, the setting was perfect but at the end of the day...I can honestly comment that I would never take DOM again. Visually, it can't compare to 2C-T-7...mentally LSD has it beat, I was also sick to my stomach most of the day...it upset my belly in the typical PEA fashion but the insights, visuals, body feeling, etc never made it worthwhile. It really reminded me of 2C-E the most...in that it was SUPER intense but mostly neutral in emotion with a tendency to go to the negative/scary. 2C-E really felt like DOM condensed down to about 3/4 the length of time. And the PUSH I mentioned earlier...yup this was speedy. Ibogaine was never speedy, LSD is never really speedy, but STP has me cranked on max. There was nothing at all in common with mescaline; there really was not a single component to the DOM experience that reminded me of the warm, earthy glow of mescaline hcl. To me, DOM and 2C-E are closest in nature to the LSD experience

A theme came out of the DOM experience. Patience. Before iboga, I was a patient person. I was content to wait till the end of time for anything, including the things I knew to be important to my own psycho and spiritual development. I was so patient that life literally became something I put on hold, as I exercised my patience towards my own self destructive tendencies.

Now I find I lack patience. Am I impatient because life is short, and I seemingly wasted so much of mine? I especially notice my lack of patience in the aspect of how I treat my friends. I know in life we all evolve at different rates, but post iboga I find myself trying to share the joys of healthy living, healthy eating, and healthy drugging, etc to everyone around me; frustration ensures when the knowledge I want to share is taken in by one ear and out the other.

So what to do next? Learn patience and move to the next level. I can’t wait to see where life will take me next.

I have always wanted to try DOM but I realize I most likely will never be able to find it. This trip report sort of makes me feel better on the impossible quest to find it, that it may not be what it has lived up to. Many people have said DOC is better too. I really like your writing and seems like you have come back to post more.

Great stuff, *as always* so I'm thus unsurprised..

With this experience in mind, how do you think set and setting influenced the trip? Would you categorize DOM as being more or less reliant on set/setting than other PEA/DOX compounds, or tryptamines?

And whether or not you think DOM is more or less sensitive to set/setting, what combination of those factors do you think would optimize the experience? Ie, is this ideal for social situations due to the stimulating nature of the compound? Or might the manic energy be less than ideal in a group?

Are there any other DOX compounds you've tried? And if so how does this compare and contrast with them?

Sorry to be bombarding you with questions, I'm just really curious because I've never had this stuff and likely wont find it any time soon, yet still I find it fascinating for a number of reasons, not least that it is the alpha-methyl analogue of 2C-D, which I love, and so is love to learn more about it!

Cheers and thanks for the report on a rare gem, even if it may be overhyped in some quarters!

Having had only one experience with DOM I am not prepared to make any generalizations...I can only say the set (mental state) was the same as now....still on a ++++ from ibogaine that I've never come down from, and I work hard to keep it here. Setting is the same place I had the ibogaine, and the two recent trips I published on Erowid...setting was awesome for me. I was mostly alone, but at time family was around and later in the experience a friend was with me. My feelings therefore are still what they are...never again. Do have a few mg of the (-) isomer and maybe I'd try that one day but if I were ever to try a DOx again it would be TMA-2 followed by DOC. And I can always pray for DOET and DOEF since those sound pretty nice.

Great stuff, *as always* so I'm thus unsurprised..

With this experience in mind, how do you think set and setting influenced the trip? Would you categorize DOM as being more or less reliant on set/setting than other PEA/DOX compounds, or tryptamines?

And whether or not you think DOM is more or less sensitive to set/setting, what combination of those factors do you think would optimize the experience? Ie, is this ideal for social situations due to the stimulating nature of the compound? Or might the manic energy be less than ideal in a group?

Are there any other DOX compounds you've tried? And if so how does this compare and contrast with them?

Sorry to be bombarding you with questions, I'm just really curious because I've never had this stuff and likely wont find it any time soon, yet still I find it fascinating for a number of reasons, not least that it is the alpha-methyl analogue of 2C-D, which I love, and so is love to learn more about it!

Cheers and thanks for the report on a rare gem, even if it may be overhyped in some quarters!

Interesting. Deep down in my heart I had a sneaking suspicion that DOM might not be *quite* as awesome as hype makes it out to be. The isomer idea is neat since the 'vegetative effects' are produced by the other isomer and the psychedelia by the one you got, if memory serves correctly.

And I'm with you man, I'm very much wanting some DOEF, though I'd be ten times happier still to come across 2C-EF instead of the alpha-methyl version, due to supposedly having less side effects and stimulation and a shorter duration with thus, theoretically, a more intense experience as a result by fitting subjectively equal effects into a shorter time period. My most recent trip caused me to rethink my whole take on trip duration, with long-acting compounds no longer less favorable than shorter durations. That said, I still have real-life stuff I gotta take care of all the time, so finding 18-24 hours to trip plus 6 to 12 more to fully be out of it and finally be able to sleep is accordingly a difficult proposition.

Just for the sake of clarity I had racemic DOM. I read the (+)-DOM is not active as a psychedelic, does have some stimulant effects, and I have a bit of (-)-DOM which of course is the active isomer.

Well that's a let down, even with "YMMV" in mind :/ Oh well, it's probably best anyways to put my efforts in to pure Mescaline or what-have-you instead of the novel. Who the hell named this Serenity, Tranquility, Peace anyway?

Remember folks, this was the first psychedelic research chemical to make it to the 'streets' and it was a good six months before the STP was dosed properly and sold as STP. So if someone bought a tab, and knew it was "STP" instead of LSD...there was a huge novelty factor. The only psychedelics around were very good LSD from Bear, some more really good LSD from Bear, maybe some really good LSD from Sandoz, some really good LSD by Bear, maybe some mail order mescaline and MDA from the research chemical places that sold those, but not too many knew about it, you could order peyote cheap but not too many did, there was lots of really good LSD, etc, etc. :)

So the novelty factor behind DOM was HUGE.

Maybe you have to take a huge dose and freak the fuck out to be wowed by it. You know the song "Lather" by Jefferson Airplane with the lyric..."Lather still finds it a nice thing to do, to lie around nude in the sand. Drawing pictures of mountains that look like bumps, and thrashing the waves with his hands."

That line was about the most awesome, sexiest, most bad ass bass player from the Bay area....Jack Cassady (of Jefferson Airplane) who apparently took too much STP one morning and ended up being arrested in Monterrey CA naked on the beach in a mudhole, tripping FACE. A couple weeks later on a TV appearance he had a huge STP sticker on his bass and proudly shows it off for the cameras smiling. So yeah, lot's of legend behind DOM.

But with so many other chemicals to choose from it just isn't worth it to me, however don't let me words keep any good writers or smart people from trying....please I want to read your reports too! ;)

Good report 4mg sounds more than strong enough to me. Imagine getting a 10 mg hit in the 60s thinking it was acid and taking two because it took so long to kick in. I would be scared to take big doses of any DOx chemicals. Maybe one day I will try some DOM

Here is a fucked up bit of knowledge....keeping in mind Shulgin lists DOM @ 3mg-10mg. The first "STP" tabs were 20mg. The crowd on the streets of San Fran (quite used to LSD which manifests in 20-30 minutes even at a lower range) would take the STP, and after an hour or so of not feeling anything or not much at all, would take another (or two more). Just imagine that!

Although I am VERY sensitive to *some* PEA-type psychedelics (2C-I, 2C-E) I tend to find I am about average in my reactions...the 4mg didn't have me at a balls to the wall +++ but the fact that I bordered between ++ and +++ at the peak, yet was so impaired by it is where I make the comment, STRONG stuff.

For reference, I had taken about 150ug LSD a week prior (first time with LSD in over 10 years) and it had me at a full +++ but I had no problem conversing with family or friends.

Hi MGS - great to see another report on this and have your experienced opinion on it - would a fractionally lower dose have been more useful / pleasant or you just think it's a hard balance with this one and as I suspect it's too plain speedy? Deinomychus - not sure about hype since this is a drug with a fairly fearsome reputation for whizzing you the fuck straight off the dial - something it seems quite capable of delivering - as for the magic half dozen, like any favs list it's highly coloured by the actual experiences you had which aren't entirely compound reliant and at the extreme idiosyncratic. I suspect the glowing DOM reports are from people who just fell the right side of it on that occasion or got dose and setting just right. And I think there's often at least one good experience in a compound and this was tested early in the career of Shulgin research group with little comparison and much excitement perhaps. Yeah DOEF/DOET/2C-EF would be high on the wish list.

No idea but given the duration I am not sure I'd want to be just a ++ with it. It's still a long and speedy trip. Yeah maybe 3mg would be ok but I doubt that would produce a +++ for most. On some level I think I should have taken 5mg. I bet if I had some POTENT indica at the time, the speediness would not have been so bad but that's a pot head for ya.

Here is a fucked up bit of knowledge....keeping in mind Shulgin lists DOM @ 3mg-10mg. The first "STP" tabs were 20mg. The crowd on the streets of San Fran (quite used to LSD which manifests in 20-30 minutes even at a lower range) would take the STP, and after an hour or so of not feeling anything or not much at all, would take another (or two more). Just imagine that!

Although I am VERY sensitive to *some* PEA-type psychedelics (2C-I, 2C-E) I tend to find I am about average in my reactions...the 4mg didn't have me at a balls to the wall +++ but the fact that I bordered between ++ and +++ at the peak, yet was so impaired by it is where I make the comment, STRONG stuff.

For reference, I had taken about 150ug LSD a week prior (first time with LSD in over 10 years) and it had me at a full +++ but I had no problem conversing with family or friends.

^^This. Reading from PIHKaL, I quote:

(with 10 mg) If on this page I shall have expressed it to you then it is true that DOM has the glory and the doom sealed up in it. All that's needed to unseal it is to surround it with a warm living human for a few hours. For that human for those hours all the dark things are made clear.

Now imagine having taken a 20mg tablet, and now imagine you don't feel it after 30-45 minutes like you would with acid, so you take another tablet. 40 fucking milligrams of DOM man, I don't even want to contemplate what that is like when taking the above quote (which I feel to be one of the modt beautiful statements in book 2) into account!

Can you imagine, "oh I'm well bored of acid, I'll take 3!". There were fatalities, weren't there?

I think sometimes these kinda compounds, the ones that carry a level of discomfort or body-load, which I presume is the main reason mgs is unlikely to try DOM again, need to be used energetically. I'm wary about those psychedelics that have a body load issue so I tend to use a museum dose (or a "Viking dose", as I call it, coz if a Viking gave you your dose, you'd be well advised to halve it at the very least!) & then go for long hikes, jam music (I'm a drummer) or generally burn off energy physically somehow. I don't know if you spent the trip indoors, anylising the effects so as to report them, but I think, even if I had 1.5mg of DOM, I wouldn't be able to stay indoors or probably even sit still. If I were going to ingest a Doxx I'd be looking for the lightest one.

Great report though, even if it illustrates still further why I continue to have no plans to try DOM.

^^^^

Hey good reminder. I have been away from the Mountains of Colorado and I suspect that I'd feel *slightly* different about it had I been on a 7hr hike. Good call.

No fatalities on the record from DOM....believe it or not, and it was distributed to tens of thousands in summer 67.

^^ Fascinating considering the effects of DOB. I believe there have been fatalities from that one due to cardio/vascular mayhem, could be wrong though. I wonder how the difference between the two chemically creates the potential for seriously nasty shit to happen (DOB) while DOM is apparently safe physiologically...

It's interesting to me also that bromo-Dfly also produced the sort of cardio/vascular nasty that DOB can produce, whereas judging by the reports of various overdoses, 2C-B is really quite benign. I would speculate that the presence of the alpha-methyl amphetamine bit may have something to do with it. The alpha-methyl is absent in 2C-B and 2C-B-Fly, but present in DOB/bromo-dragonfly. Thus I would speculate that cardio/vascular toxicity is dependent in these drugs on not only the presence of the bromine relative to the methyl present in DOM but also the amphetamine alpha-methyl itself, as that is the major structural difference (though 2C-B-Fly has fully saturated furan bits, bromo-D has a double bond in each of the five-membered rings).

Can you imagine, "oh I'm well bored of acid, I'll take 3!". There were fatalities, weren't there?

I think sometimes these kinda compounds, the ones that carry a level of discomfort or body-load, which I presume is the main reason mgs is unlikely to try DOM again, need to be used energetically. I'm wary about those psychedelics that have a body load issue so I tend to use a museum dose (or a "Viking dose", as I call it, coz if a Viking gave you your dose, you'd be well advised to halve it at the very least!) & then go for long hikes, jam music (I'm a drummer) or generally burn off energy physically somehow. I don't know if you spent the trip indoors, anylising the effects so as to report them, but I think, even if I had 1.5mg of DOM, I wouldn't be able to stay indoors or probably even sit still. If I were going to ingest a Doxx I'd be looking for the lightest one.

Great report though, even if it illustrates still further why I continue to have no plans to try DOM.

I agree with this to a point; the only DOx ive done however is DOI, but due to the immense energy, every time ive done it has been mountain biking. However that being said, there is a balance to be had as far as timing and when you actually start being physically active. Ive done these trippy rides many times, and I have noticed an immensely longer come-up when you eat the dose immediately before riding vs. eating it, waiting for the first effects to be there and then riding. I attribute this to sympathetic/parasympathetic digestion/metabolism.

(if you don't know what that means its basically that your body needs to prioritize the energy it has and if you arent doing anything physical, it will focus this energy on digestion of food so that there is more energy in the future, but if you ARE doing physical activity it will focus on the glycogen stores which are easier to get energy from in a short time than food is, so as to supply the energy for that activity and this also applies to drug metabolism)

Its not the end-all if you mess up this balance but its something to take note of when planning a trip out, especially with slower come-up drug (Dox,2cx, etc.) Youll still feel it eventually no matter what, but this phenomena is very real so take note of that