WARNING! Intellectual Content: Read at Your Own Risk

I've decided I don't care about the "cliques" because I really just see the "memebers" as those who didn't have the opportunity to alienate others in highschool, more likely they were the alienated. And this is the perfect vehicle for payback.

The only membership in Bluelight is the one you get when you sign up...everything from there on out is contrasting perceptions.
Those that choose to feel alienated, feel alienated.
Those that choose to feel included, feel included.
Those who want to meet people, do.
Those who don't want to meet people, don't.
Its primarily up to each individual to decide what their 'place' in any group is.
"Funny, I've always believed that the world is what we make of it."-Dr. Ellie Arroway, Contact

I wrote out a rather lengthy response.....again....but seeing that it's in vain at this juncture, I'm hangin up mah shoes on this one.
L O V E L I F E put it best, I think: If you want to belong . . . contribute.
To expand on that... if you don't contribute, don't look down on those who do. That's just as much of an elitist behaviour as what is being accused in this post.

You are quite right. I, personally, am not here to make friends so much as to have a place to bullshit when I'm bored. So really, I don't know quite why I am even getting involved in this discussion (aside from a chance to play devil's advocate). I will respectfully bow out. Goodnight all.

LOL, well, I opened this thread when I saw FoX had started it. See? I opened his thread because he usually has something decent to say. I don't know the guy, will never meet him, etc. But if I have time to read Bluelight, I will take a look at what he has to say. I give every poster a chance. But hey, after I read a certain number of your threads/posts and everything you type is garbage, well....I scroll right through you. LOL
I am a nobody here at Bluelight and that is by design. I just enjoy watching people who are outside my normal environment. I have plenty of friends, don't get me wrong. But....there are some types of people in Bluelight that I would never know in real life. See, I use the internet to expand my view of the world--not narrow it! LOL
A message board would be a dull place without the witty/intelligent people who call it home. FoX, I do disagree with one thing you said. It has to come back to quality, because quantity of posts will never ensure you "stature." If a poster is lame, people will just skip over their threads. (Wow, I wonder if anyone will scroll over my post. LOL) Anyway, another good topic and I think the general idea can be applied to several non-internet aspects of real life.
/me goes back to flying under the radar....

Very well said and thought out by all. I agree that there is a lot of people here in social looking for attention. I think that this is a topic everyone should read and consider. Thank You Fox.

My head really hurts now
I don't know why i post on here. I will not however engage in fruitless examination of my own psche in order to justify my being here. I laugh at you lot....that's why im here. For the buttfucking (assraping is so passe)
Cliques? fine. Whatever. I fail to see how people can get so wound up because someone says hi to mate he/she knows irl.
/end rant

I think we need to start a bluelight sociology forum in order to discuss the patterns and directions of other forums. Then I think we should start the bluelight picnic forum so we can all virtually take off our shoes, go traipsing about on the dewy grass, eat ant covered fried chicken, get pleasantly sunburned, drink 13 too many cheap beers, and throw up all over the bluelight mascot/trend of the day. Then in response I think we should make a bluelight food fight forum...people are already getting slapped around by large trout at a truly astonishing rate, but it's so played out perhaps we should expand the culinary projectiles.
Then, I believe, most of social's "problems" would be alleviated.
smile.gif

I see no reason to make a in depth analysis of social forum...it's social. want to understand it? study sociology. Cliques, attention seeking, lamers and all the rest can be found irl or on this board. The 'problems' on bluelight are no different to the problems we encounter in our lives every day

Today, its all about who you have met on the outside........well some of us dont meet others on the outside or dont have the oportuninty.....so does that mean it is right to exclude those that have not had that oportunity??
I must disagree.
I befriended *many* people on BL, was involved in many in depth discussions on a variety of subjects way before I ever 'met them on the outside'.
we found a sense of belonging that you could not find in the 'Real' world.
Are you implying that the members of Bluelight, particularly the (*gasp*) 'elitist members of the evil cliques' are some sort of ghastly freaks that are not to be accepted in any forum outside of the internet?
Personally, and I think I speak for many of us here, Bluelight is a large part of our life...it's not our entire life.
Beleive it or not we do have family, coworkers, even...yes...friends outside the realm of Bluelight Social.
It's a mere post script that we happened to meet and grow to love other people (or...friends) on Bluelight...in any forum...be it Social, Otherdrugs, S&PP...
Sadly I feel we really are trapped in a vicious cycle now...
The same points are going to be repeated over and over, only worded differently.
The facts are still the facts though.
There are *very few restrictions* on what can and can't be posted in this forum.
When you come into social...what factors determine which thread(s) you will open?
I would venture to say there are really two major factors:
1) Topic
2) Who started the post.
It may not be in that order for everyone, but it's still true.
Is it wrong for me to open only posts that interest me?
Of course not.
I admit to scanning the forum, looking at who posted what, and going from there.
Yes, I tend to open posts my 'friends' have made first...
It's not so different from this 'real world' you keep referring to...which you seem to think I have little or no experience in...
Let's say I'm invited to a party...I show up...who do I migrate to?
The people I know and am most comfortable with.
I don't go to that party and choose to associate ONLY with those people.
I don't look down upon or assault those people I don't know, or am not associating with.
I, as are most other attendees of this party (and members of Bluelight Social), am more than willing to meet, greet and befriend 'strangers'.
Like they said...you want to be accepted? You want to make some friends? You want to be respected? You want to get noticed?
Then put forth some effort.
How are we supposed get to know someone who never speaks?
How are we supposed to grow close to someone who doesn't make themselves available?
It's not practical for those already in this so-called 'inner cirlce' to try and reach out to the thousands of inactive members.
It's only feasible for those who are not getting any attention, or do not have friends, but want to have that attention, or friends, to come forward and speak up.
I can think of MANY examples of people who have joined the board, put forth an effort, and made friends in a matter of weeks.
As with most everything in life, you're going to get out of social what you put in.

LapDawg...strangely enough, I am a walking dick and fart joke.
------------------
"The human brain is like an enormous fish - it is flat and slimy and has gills through which it can see."
"God never listens to what I say,
and you don't get a refund if you overpray."

some new points
- hello to Lady Stardust, shannabanana, DR_OP8, and smiles828, who are new to me. welcome to the BL Experience, thank you for coming, make yourself welcome, and let me know if there's anything i can do for you. we old skoolers are hospitable people, but pardon us if we tend to get overwhelmed by the amount of unrecognizable names/people in here. it's much easier to tell a person's type/vibe in person, online it's real hard, so thanks for expressing a little bit of your uniqueness with each post. it does register........
- two people replying to a thread may be childhood friends who have known each other for 15+ years and are roommates, or they may live across the world and will probably never meet each other. we should allow for both situations when we post and read
- people like to see their own name in print, and hear their own name in person; it is an innate thing
- some names are hard to remember, though the person may make an incredible impression
- having a spirituality and personal philosophy forum kinda precludes having those issues discussed in social, the same way drug issues are disallowed
- a forum named Social on an ecstasy message board is going to invariably have a lot more draw. information is cheap, friends are forever
- what do you do when a scene gets too many hyped-up players? you take it underground
- how to reduce cliques? urge them to take their discussions to email. more privacy, less traffic, less antipathy
- some people hear about bluelight via the net, then meet bluelighters. some people get 'turned on' to bluelight by their friends; it makes a big difference
- we should all get together and fuck....on drugs
smile.gif

just a short point i want to make:
I have met only 2 BL'ers here, but it did not restrict me from interacting with other BL'ers, making friends, and being a friend. I knew people were familiar with each other when I signed up, but I continued to interact. After a short while, people actually started to refer to me on their posts.
Is it really about 'cliques?' Or is this about being acknowledged and regarded in BL as a whole?

I love the experience that is Bluelight.
For some strange reason, I find myself humming the theme song for "Growing Pains" right now.

Is it really about 'cliques?' Or is this about being acknowledged and regarded in BL as a whole?
This is where I have beef.
Granted there are many striving to attain status. For what those reasons are I am unaware. Do they have issues? Maybe. That is something they will have to worry about in the end.
I don't always have the easiest time trying to convey my thoughts well, so for that I apologize. I will admit that most of the negative behavior that I am associating with cliques has been limited lately. Actually, it's a much rarer occurence than I expected. It only becomes an issue of intimidation. I get nervous when those that are new are overwhelmed with back and forth repertoire that is not meant for them.
~Erik
------------------
Wake your mind up. Clear your eyes up. Move and rise up before your times up. Clock is tickin'. You're caught slippin'. Stop to realize. Look and listen.

I'm just obnoxiously persistent with an occasional leap to witty greatness if i'm drunk enough and manage to post my alcoholic ramblings.
That and I think everyone has realized that I'm like a tick: it would take a large flame in my ass to get me to burrow out of BL and go elsewhere to suck the life from it. Errr....something. Nevermind, I just wanted to talk about ticks. I hate those little bastards.
So BL mimics the real world. Ever had a guy at work who always sits near you at lunch or some shit, and you're talking with some aquaintences and "BANG!" he spits out some useless knowledge or something to try and impress others/ make himself noticed/feel better about himself/whatever...they either continue to do it, making an ass of themselves or they quit and go somewhere where others will listen to them.
Sorta seems like a non-problem that will solve itself.

I've been excluded from almost ever click on this site. But it is my choice if I am going to get upset by that or not.
I originally came to bluelight to waste time at work and amuse myself. And it just so happened that I met some really nice people. Being a realist I am fully aware that all of the people who have met in person and post on bluelight are going to be closer then people who only post here. And I have only posted here.
I know that people like Brownie, Crow, Vibr8tor, FoX are closer with each other then they are with me. But why should that destroy my enjoyment of the board. It takes time to get to know someone, a long time if it is only over the internet. I do not expect to be instantly accepted by all the bluelighters who were here before me. And it would be stupid if they did without getting to know me.
There are always people excluded from something. Learn to deal with rejection and move on. Quit being a victim..

All this discussion of Social and how it works has gotten me thinking...I'll be back with those ideas when they are a little more concrete, but perhaps some slight tweaks to how the board is arranged may be in order.
Thank you SO much to everyone that has contributed to this thread thus far...this kind of feedback is what we need to continue to improve Bluelight and make it a better resource for ALL Bluelighters, whether old skool or brand new....