Trippy paintings/artist

i rembered a nother
Escher
i like his shit i ever started paintin bond of union but never finished

Rene Francois Ghislain Magritte
"was a Belgian surrealist painter, born in Lessines. He studied at the Academie Royale des Beaux-Arts, Brussels. His first one-man exhibition was in Brussels in 1927. At that time Magritte had already begun to paint in the style, closely akin to surrealism, that was predominant throughout his long career."
One of the first series to grab my attention.
The first Margritte I've seen in person.
Personal fave. Another fave.
A man who knew what he was doing ;) .
werd.
And, of course, a CLASSIC.
~Erik

Alex Grey, although he'd probably have a fit if you called his work "trippy" to his face.
Jean-Pierre Serrier, a french surrealist who is pretty cool, and
Stanislav Szukalski is not so much trippy, as he is just fucking amazing!!! he did pictures, sketches and the like, but his sculpture is the real creme of the crop. Awesome!!!

Alex Grey is wonderful. www.alexgrey.com
w1.736.telia.com/~u73602493/flashback.html I don't know who the creator of the site is but he has some wonderful art just check out that flash animation in the begining.
larry carlson has some good work too www.larrycarlson.com

Dali I have to respect for his sheer painterly skills, if you've ever seen a Dali up close in a museum, the seemless blending of color etc. he was very good. He was very good at rendering, but I also think he was a fuck. Someone who titles a piece "enigma of desire: my mother, my mother, my mother" has some issues.

anyway, artists that are "trippy" that i like: ok a few, all art is "trippy" for the most part... anyway, here are a few that come to mind:

marcel duchamp painting

yves tanguy one of his paintings

joseph beuys, a conceptual artist who explains pictures to a dead rabbit

giorgi de chirico see

rene magritte (as described above)

francisco goya one of his paintings

willem de kooning love this one

can you believe that this was painted in 1515? it's by matthies grunewald

the guerilla girls... not because they're so trippy per se, but because they have such a good message

i don't really like him, but you have to give Picasso credit for being trippy....

Rick Griffin. Used to do artwork for Tracks surfing mag in the 70's. Extremely strange stuff.

ralph steadman - known for collaborations with hunter s. thompson

There were several great artists at Mindstates IV who were all heavily influenced by psychedelics: Alex Grey, Allyson Grey, Mark Henson, Martina Hoffman, Stevee Postman, Fred Tomaselli and Robert Venosa.

Hehe, Odd Nerdrum is a genious. He fell in love with a statue because he said it had a perfect toe.
He also painted himself with a quite noticable erection.
He's probably the worst interview-object EVER, only Synnøve Svabø ever managed to get something out of him, in rather unconventional methods to say the least.
Trippy artists...
You should chesk out www.chaishop.com and go find art-links there.

Istigeit said:
Rick Griffin. Used to do artwork for Tracks surfing mag in the 70's. Extremely strange stuff.

rick griffin is probably best known for his work in 60s poster art. he was one of the bigs in the scene along with alton kelley, stanley mouse, bob thomas, etc.

here is a link to some of the album covers he did.
here is his (well his wife's, he died in 1991) site.

Last edited:
Warhol, Dali, and Escher works grace the wallspace of my studio.
If you're looking for something trippy and fun, 'the secret art of dr. seuss' is excellent. :)

Pavel Tchelitchew's hide and seek is spectacular. its a large painting of a tree, that, when you look closer, has children almost hidden within it. hard to explain, beautiful to look at.
this isnt nearly the same as seeing it for real, but you get the idea
http://www.users.bigpond.com/dee-tox/

he also did a piece with henry ford in a poppy field that freaks me out every time i look at it. you can see it here
http://www.gsaglobal.net/theoutlife/art/tchelitchew1.art

^ what is this .art file? my browser doesn't know what to do with it...

alasdair