graffiti

Aftermath

Bluelighter
neone got any good links on the art of gaffiti?
google came up with a lot of pictures and art work.. but no good tips on doing it...
i have never done it but i have seen some faboulus works of art on trains. i dont know how a person could do that with spray cans..
im guessing they go out at 4 in the morning and work till around when people start showing up for work...
ive gone out at night maybe hoping to watch some one in action.. i found out that you have to be like a cat.. it almost seams impossible .. i cant see how one could get away with it..

I dont know about sites but there are some good magazines around. 'Flaunt' has alot of graff stuff in it & 'element(Z?) is totally hip-hop culure with pages & pages of graet graffiti.

I doubt your really gonna find much stuff on the web becuase telling people how you do your graf is like a magician telling you how he does his tricks. Usually doesn't work that way.

Banksy Web Site
This website doesn't tell you anything about how to graffiti, but it contains the art of a semi-famous UK graffiti artist called Banksey.
His work is amazing, and I would definately reccomend checking it out.
Most of his work is done through stencilling
Some of my favourites are:
backdropimagel.gif

and
backdropimager.gif

Sorry the pictures are so big!
[ 07 November 2002: Message edited by: FunkyAlfonzo ]

I know it's not what your after but just posting a few links to some art I quite like.
[ 07 November 2002: Message edited by: Johny Boy ]

FunkyAlfonzo, that dude is my new hero! A genius! Mad props for the link!
I used to write when I was younger. I liked it how everybody in Rotterdam talked about the tags, not knowing it was us, but right now I think it's better to make people think, and just a cryptic tag or piece won't do that. Anyway, after some trouble with the police (and after my mother recognized my self portrait on a wall :( which made me appreciate the civility of the police) I threw away my spraycans. I resorted to small stickers and labels with purely text on them. I used to work at a place with unlimited labelwriters, but now I use them sparingly. My heart still beats faster when I see a nice piece or a good location though, even though it's now six years ago...

i somehow acquired a german graffiti mag
ill have to see if i can find it to scan some, there was some great stuff in there.

graff art is like any form of art and will always come down to design and personal style. take a design class at a junior college, tell your instructor what your aspirations are and get some advice on how to express your ideas in a cohesive way. be wary though some may give you advice to not touch this breed of art at all... this is one of my fav artists website http://mearone.com check it out... it also has some great links. if all else fails just start doodling with a black can on poster board.(of course keep it outside ;)