Bluelighter Reading List

A clockwork orange is always interesting as is the lord of the rings trilogy i saw someone say Enders game and Enders shadow is the same story from a different characters perspective its kind of neat to read both of them Junky is always good. I also like anything by Aldous Huxley

i can't believe no one has said Be Here Now by Baba Ram Das

other than that, to the person who was wondering about the JD Salinger novel, I think that the book your friend was referring too was Franny and Zooey , which is an excellent novel.

The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell is good, hell anything by Joseph Campbell is...

of course pump your veins full of Kerouac, Burroughs, Bukowski, Ginsberg, and all the beats...

Memories, Dreams, Reflections by Carl Jung is intense for those of you who enjoy psychology

Journey to the East by Herman Hesse

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for A Hat by Oliver Sacks is great for those of you who are into reading about freaky brain injuries

and just for good measure Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt is one of the best children's books ever.

there's many more i could list but yeah, i'll leave you with that.

Willy Gibson

Neuromancer - William Gibson

1st book out of the cyberspace trillogy, Best one IMO.

may not be "artsy" but its just fucking beautiful.

Not a huge fan of reading...but Stephan King's Pet Sematary had me reading constantly. Very good book.

Dagny said:
*Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand
I'm SO glad someone already listed this.
*I'm going to also have to agree with 1984... one of the best books I have ever read. I think it was the only book that has made me cry.
*Angela's Ashes- Frank McCourt (if you get through this, I do urge you to read 'Tis.. also by Frank)
*The Grapes of Wrath- John Steinbeck
*Atlas Shrugged- Ayn Rand
*Les Miserables- Victor Hugo
*I have to add a few short stories:
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell and
A Dog's Tale by Mark Twain (seriously if you're a dog lover this is it!!).

"Johnny Tremain" by Esther Forbes
Dagny.. I read this in 8th grade...
then you mentioned:
"Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell
this I read in 7th grade.
Did you also have to read these in your school district? I just found it ironic.

^^

every school district reads Isle of the blue dolphins, as well as the grapes of wrath, hatchet, and lord of the flies.

They are relatively unimpressive books, foisted upon us by a school system that would rather use a mimeographed lesson plan than encourage students and teachers to think for themselves.

atlas said:
^^

every school district reads Isle of the blue dolphins, as well as the grapes of wrath, hatchet, and lord of the flies.

They are relatively unimpressive books, foisted upon us by a school system that would rather use a mimeographed lesson plan than encourage students and teachers to think for themselves.

We never read the Grapes of Wrath.... or Lord of the Flies.
Both of which I feel ARE impressive books.

Yes, Hatchet and Isle of the Blue Dolphins sucked, however, I really enjoyed many of the books my school made me read.
Examples:
Anthem- Ayn Rand
A Tale of Two Cities- Dickens
and The Great Gatsby- Fitzgerald

Originally posted by atlas
^^

^ yeah, i didn't read ANY of those in school.

Bridge to Terabithia ... i think that's the whole reason i'm a junkie right there. i guess i just read it at a vulnerable time in my childhood, but damn i think it fucked with me.

oh and i agree with the suggestion of The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat it is a very entertaining and thought-provoking read.

i have so many good books i want to add, but its too overwhelming to think about...

peace

From a previous book thread "Siddhartha" kept coming up as a favorite book - I just finished it and I'm satisfied with a book for the first time in a while- such an easy read for what you get out of it. I just started "Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance" I print these threads to go to the bookstore :)

here's a few more

the famished road by ben okri

one hundred years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez

in the skin of a lion by michael ondaatje

also: any shakespeare, esp lear, othello, midsummer, as you like it...

I print these threads to go to the bookstore

I do the same thing at the library (who can afford to buy books???)

I really really want to read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, if I ever manage to find it when its in the library.

Lets see, my reading has been a little soft as of late.

I'm reading Insomnia by Stephen King... I figure one Stephen King book a summer is kind of required... even if it usually just reminds me as to why I dont read Stephen King.

Oh, I went and reread the Wrinkle in Time books during finals. So good, such great stories. Made me totally happy when I was completely stressed out.

I need a good trashy beach novel for when I'm on vacation. Something with good sex descriptions and hardly any plot. I'm actually considering going to an adult novelty store and seeing what they have.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Mark Haddon - deals with an autistic 15 year old narrator. The book is amazing although it just came out and is in hardcover so I had to read it at the bookstore.

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace. The best book written in the last fifty years. Period.

Some good ideas.
Doors of perception-Aldous Huxley.
Junky-William S Burroughs
season in hell-Arthur Rimbaud
American Pyscho-Bret Easton Ellis(100 times more graphic than the film, no big suprise.)
Human all too human-Fredirech Nietchze.(any of his work)
Fear & Loathing -Hunter S Thompson.