Bluelighter Reading List

CANDY by Mark Davies
he is an Aussie writer....
i really enjoyed the book, couldnt put it down!
voodoo~

Someone's already said most of mine:
Fear and Loathing...
Anything by Irvine Welsh (but especially 'The Undefeated' from his collection Ecstasy).
Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace - damn hard to read, but worth it, and says a lot of good things about the nature of addiction.
A Scanner Darkly, Phillip K Dick (ditto, but easy to read)
Altered State, Matthew Collin
Ecstasy: the Complete Guide, Julia Holland
PIHKAL and TIHKAL
Nicolas Saunders' Ecstasy books
More general reading:
Hemingway
Thomas Pynchon
George Eliot
Iian Banks
Stephen Baxter
Dostoevsky
Dickens

OOh The Garden of Eden by Hemmingway rocks
I think I may have gained like 7 pounds reading it though. Food Food and more Food

haven't read that one yet.
I'm a big fan of For Whom The Bell Tolls and that one about the guy fighting with the Italians in World War One (having mental block today).

Alex Garland - The Beach
Irvine Welsh - Trainspotting
Wilbur Smith - A time to die (either die or kill)
Harry Potter Series < brilliant
Bernard Cornwell - Sharpe series
Stephen King - The Stand
Stephen King - The Grenn Mile
I notice no one has put LOTR in :) did anyone else think this book was boring and long winded.

Originally posted by jonesYY:

Stephen King - The Stand

much respect to anyone that gets through the 1000 pages of this book...
but i was annoyed when i finished it... having to read that many pages and be disappointed by the ending that i found to be cheap and a cop out made me want to trak king down and beat him

This was one of my favorite Stephen King books, however does anyone else get annoyed about how he reuses the same scenerios and themes in more than one book? Sometimes when I read his stuff I feel almost like he had run out of ideas and started to rip off his own work and reused it in new publications.
Also, on this list for all of you
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
He has possibly one of the most creative writing styles I've ever read and the story absolutely broke my heart and saved it about 10 times.

Was still a good book wanderlust :) out of the 1000 pages there wernt many bad bits I thought, page turning the whole way.
maybe the fact I love the concept of it. killer disearse, wiping everyone out and just select few left :)

Originally posted by jonesYY:
Was still a good book wanderlust :) out of the 1000 pages there wernt many bad bits I thought, page turning the whole way.
maybe the fact I love the concept of it. killer disearse, wiping everyone out and just select few left :)

yes good concept but... **SPOILER** come on... the best he could do in the ending was the hand of god coming down? how.... cheap, like he got all the way there and was like ehhhh fuck it, how the hell can i end this right here right now without thinking any more at all?

LOL, he might have realised hes wrote a thousand pages and he cud have wrote 500 more, so he had to cut it short.
when he was first realising that book, the publishers made him cut serveral hundred pages out of it as far as I know. I have the later published un-cut edition.

Originally posted by Yesterday:
This was one of my favorite Stephen King books, however does anyone else get annoyed about how he reuses the same scenerios and themes in more than one book? Sometimes when I read his stuff I feel almost like he had run out of ideas and started to rip off his own work and reused it in new publications.

Yeah, I was really disappointed when in one of his new books (forget which one, the one with the child abductions) it turned out that the alternate universe was actually the same one he's using in the Dark Tower. It seems like he just couldn't come up with another creative idea and just decided to make the kid the beam breaker, instead of having another in a series of deliciously creepy ideas like he did in his younger years.
Mixing unrelated books seems like a copout to me, and I was even more pissed off about it because I've been waiting for the next in the Dark Tower series for so freaking long.

"Siddhartha" - Herman Hesse
"The Undiscovered Self" - C.G. Jung
"Rendezvous with Rama" - Arthur C. Clarke
others like 1984 and Illustrated Man have already been said.

i just finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
it was excellent and provides a great deal of life advice through the means of a simple story. it was quite magical without being preachy.
alasdair

I just finished reading
All Souls: A Family Story From Southie by Michael Patrick MacDonald
and it blew me away. Beautifully written book. I'm buying copies for several family members, starting with my father, who definitely grew up in a similar neighborhood, on the other side of Boston. I recommend the book no matter where you live though, the characters and stories are EXCELLENT.
Right now I'm about halfway through
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
and it too is a definite keeper. I haven't been able to put it down!
There are plenty others I'll list later on, but this is where I'm at right now as I finally start digging my way out of the mile-long list of books I feel compelled to read.
Peace ~Katie

time and again
jack finney (i think)
a great story of a man that finds himself in a man made back in time adventure in old new york... although it is not sci-fi at all.
it is like back to the future mets ed (in movie terms)

I just read a book called Drop City by a writer called TC Boyle... it is about a hippie commune in 1970. I thought it was quite good although the ending kind of dropped off. I was wondering if anyone else had read this or had heard of this writer.

i can't believe no one has mentioned The Celestine Prophecy by james redfield yet, a definite must for bL'ers (you have to look past the cheesy plot and the images of spacey hippies popping up in your head saying things like, "harness your energy," but i found it to be an incredibley spiritually enriching read). while people have already mentioned alice in wonderland i think through the looking glass is much more fucked up (and thus, the better book). also, check out carl sagan's cosmic connection. there's a really trippy description of the evolution of the universe (and it only takes up about a page and a half!) not to mention his arguments for the existence of ET's. gotta re-emphasize dune and the whole harry potter series (can't wait till june 21st!).

Ooh good call with the Celestine Prophecy I thought it was good too.

Damn I need to go to the library.