• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Your Favorite Quotes; Vs "I Have a Dream"

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is... never try. -Homer Simpson.

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others,
even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

"The mind is like a parachute. It works best when it's open." ~Dalai Lama

b662d7f009b975a37d9d19f6221fe71e.jpg

Art is the only magic that holds the power to change the universe
~nsa

Last edited:
"You do not have to be good.
You do not have to crawl through the desert for a hundred miles,
on your knees, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves."
-Mary Oliver, Wild Geese

"I am real!", said Alice, and began to cry.
"You won't make yourself a bit realer by crying," Tweedledee remarked "there's nothing to cry about."
"If I wasn't real," Alice said - half laughing through her tears, it all seemed so ridiculous - "I shouldn't be able to cry."
"I hope you don't think those are real tears?" Tweedledee interrupted in a tone of great contempt.

In another moment down went Alice after it, not once considering how on earth she was going to get out again"

After a fall such as this, I shall think nothing of tumbling downstairs!

Alice thought the whole thing very absurd, but they all looked so grave that she did not dare to laugh; and, as she could not think of anything to say, she simply bowed, and took the thimble, looking as solemn as she could

The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.
'Who are you?' said the Caterpillar.
This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, 'I — I hardly know, sir, just at present — at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'
'What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. 'Explain yourself!'
'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself, you see.'
'I don't see,' said the Caterpillar.
'I'm afraid I can't put it more clearly,' Alice replied very politely, 'for I can't understand it myself to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.'

All from Alice's Adventured in Wonderland by Lewis Carol. I love the book and the whole story could work as a metaphor for my various problems (Borderline Personality Disorder, Bulimia, Drug Addiction).

"Life was mas much easier when one wasn't always growing larger and smaller" Lewis Carol

LE TEMPS DETRUIT TOUT - from the movie Irreversible

This long quote is maybe my favourite (although you need to have seen the movie to "get" it:

"I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, your father, how good he was to us, remember?
It's a reason to get up in the morning. A reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow alright.
What have I got, Harry? Why should I even make the bed or wash the dishes? I do them...but why should I? I'm alone. You're gone, your father's gone. I got nobody to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely - I'm old...I like the way I feel [on the pills]. I like thinking about the red dress and the television and you and your father. Now when I get the sun, I smile" - Sara Goldfarb in Requiem for a Dream.

We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred? -Richard Dawkins

Its better to burn out than to fade away -Kurt cobain

The world aint all sunshine and rainbows. Its a very mean and nasty place, and I dont care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it aint about how hard you hit. Its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done! Now if you know what youre worth, then go out and get what youre worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you aint where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that aint you! Youre better than that -Rocky Balboa ( Rocky 2006 movie)

"There's a bluebird in my heart that wants to get out
but I'm too tough for him,
I say, stay in there, I'm not going to let anybody see you."
-Charles Bukowski

"We the mortals touch the metals,
the wind, the ocean shores, the stones,
knowing they will go on, inert or burning
and I was discovering, naming all these things:
it was my destiny to love and say goodbye."
- Pablo Neruda

One of my favorite quotes by someone very dear to me...
Cash in the hand is better than dope in a dream...

We who are oppressed love those who fight against oppression and the oppressors.--mlk