• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Your Favorite Quotes; Vs "I Have a Dream"

I'm a slacker, never did I have a lot of dough?
I'm a slacker, smoking pot and watchin' videos
I'm a slacker, go whichever way the wind blows
Those just tuning in I'm just letting' you know
That I'm a slacker, every time I take a look around
I'm a slacker, stuck upon my face is a frown
I don't do enough, I just fool around
You all can go to hell, how does that sound?

“Is", "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment”

“under the present brutal and primitive conditions on this planet, every person you meet should be regarded as one of the walking wounded. we have never seen a man or woman not slightly deranged by either anxiety or grief. we have never seen a totally sane human being.”

“...an optimistic mind-set finds dozens of possible solutions for every problem that the pessimist regards as incurable.”

“The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the political behavior of Western Civilization.”

“We're trapped in linguistic constructs... all that is is metaphor.”

“Only the madman is absolutely sure.”

“In order to eat, you have to be hungry. In order to learn, you have to be ignorant. Ignorance is a condition of learning. Pain is a condition of health. Passion is a condition of thought. Death is a condition of life.”

-Robert Anton Wilson (pope bob)

IMHO, the only pope worth listening to.

-You are all now ordained Discordian Popes, Mabey logic ftw-

"If you don't mind, It don't matter"

"The early worm gets eaten"

William Campbell shut his eyes. He was beginning to feel a slight nausea. He knew that this nausea would increase steadily, without there ever being the relief of sickness, until something were done against it. It was at this point that he suggested that Mr. Turner have a drink. Mr. Turner declined. William Campbell took a drink from the bottle. It was a temporary measure. Mr. Turner watched him. Mr. Turner had been in this room much longer than he should have been, he had many things to do; although living in daily association with people who used drugs, he had a horror of drugs, and he was very fond of William Campbell; he did not wish to leave him. He was very sorry for him and he felt a cure might help. He knew there were good cures in Kansas City. But he had to go. He stood up.

“Listen, Billy,” William Campbell said, “I want to tell you something. You’re called ‘Sliding Billy’. That’s because you can slide. I’m called just Billy. That’s because I never could slide at all. I can’t slide, Billy. I can’t slide. It just catches. Every time I try it, it catches.” He shut his eyes. “I can’t slide, Billy. It’s awful when you can’t slide.”

Nobody needs to go anywhere else. We are all, if we only knew it, already there. If I only knew who in fact I am, I should cease to behave as what I think I am; and if I stopped behaving as what I think I am, I should know who I am. What in fact I am, if only the Manichee I think I am would allow me to know it, is the reconciliation of yes and no lived out in total acceptance and the blessed experience of Not-Two. In religion all words are dirty words. Anybody who gets eloquent about Buddha, or God, or Christ, ought to have his mouth washed out with carbolic soap.

Good Being is knowing who in fact we are; and in order to know who in fact we are, we must first know, moment by moment, who we think we are and what this bad habit of thought compels us to feel and do. A moment of clear and complete knowledge of what we think we are, but in fact are not, puts a stop, for the moment, to the Manichean charade. If we renew, until they become a continuity, these moments of the knowledge of what we are not, we may find ourselves all of a sudden, knowing who in fact we are.

Faith is something very different from belief. Belief is the systematic taking of unanalysed words much too seriously. Paul's words, Mohammed's words, Marx's words, Hitler's words - people take them too seriously, and what happens?

What happens is the senseless ambivalence of history - sadism versus duty, or (incomparably worse) sadism as duty; devotion counterbalanced by organized paranoia; sisters of charity selflessly tending to the victims of their own church's inquisitors and crusaders. Faith, on the contrary, can never be taken too seriously. For faith is the empirically justified confidence in our capacity to know who in fact we are, to forget the belief-intoxicated Manichee in Good Being. Give us this day our daily Faith, but deliver us, dear God, from Belief.

Aldous Huxley - Island (1962)

One can never tire of Island. Its like a sunset, each time you expirence it, its interpereted differently. Defintately one of my all-time favorite works of fiction.

He struggled with himself, too. I saw it -- I heard it. I saw the inconceivable mystery of a soul that knew no restraint, no faith, and no fear, yet struggling blindly with itself.

― Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness (1899)

"I have a lot of good moments, but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona

"We live together, we act on, and react to, one another; but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves. The martyrs go hand in hand into the arena; they are crucified alone. Embraced, the lovers desperately try to fuse their insulated ecstasies into a single self-transcendence; in vain. By its very nature every embodied spirit is doomed to suffer and enjoy in solitude. Sensations, feelings, insights, fancies — all these are private and, except through symbols and at second hand, incommunicable." - Aldous Huxley

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russel

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

W.J. Bryan

How many roads most a man walk down
Before you call him a man ?
How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand ?
Yes, how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned ?
The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Yes, how many years can a mountain exist
Before it's washed to the sea ?
Yes, how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free ?
Yes, how many times can a man turn his head
Pretending he just doesn't see ?

Yes, how many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky ?
Yes, how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry ?
Yes, how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died ?

Bob Dylan

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it really makes me wonder

And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on
And it makes me wonder

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Page and Plant

Christopher Hitchens said:
"Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more."

A life to be lived more intensely . . . I want nothing more. The nothing more reads two ways, both ways sound about right.

Aristotle: “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it”

Carl Jung : "Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people."

Alexander Shulgin: “Some part of me can't wait to see what life's going to come up with next! Anticipation without the usual anxiety. And underneath it all is the feeling that we both belong here, just as we are, right now.”

The wound is the place where the Light enters you. ~Rumi

quotes? I like quotes.

I want to live, I want to love, but it's a long hard road out of hell
- Marilyn Manson

School is the advertising agency which makes you believe that you need the society as it is.
- Ivan Illich

a mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity. The idle are the only wretched.
- Thomas Jefferson, writing to his daughter Martha, quoted by Albert Jay Nock in "Jefferson".

At a time when newspapers are going broke, you'd think that someone would be willing to publish a paper with real news in it.
- http://libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=270726&Disp=2#C2

Keep your plans secret for now.
- "Chinese" fortune cookie.

MARX WAS A FOOL WITH A LARGE VOCABULARY OF LONG WORDS
- ISABEL PATERSON IN "The God of the Machine" (highly recommended)

Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
- Aldous Huxley

What is success? To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; that is to have succeeded.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Niebuhr was right" said Goethe, "when he saw a barbarous age coming. It is already here, we are in it, for in what does barbarism consist, if not in the failure to appreciate what is excellent?"
- ECKERMANN, 1831.

No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
- Thomas Jefferson, quoted page 305/353 of "Jefferson" by Albert Jay Nock

Things and actions are what they are, and the consequences of them will be what they will be; why, then, should we desire to be deceived?
- Bishop Butler

travel becomes uninteresting in exact proportion to its rapidity
- Ruskin

Where we find wisdom, justice, loveliness, goodness, love and glory in their highest elevations and most unbounded dimensions, that is He; and where we find any true participations of these, there is a true communication of God; and a defection from these is the essence of sin and the foundation of hell
- John Smith, Christian Platonist, quoted by Albert Jay Nock in "Memoirs of a Superfluous Man"

'Why' doesn't really matter when it comes to dealing with a psychopath.
- http://narcissism-support.blogspot.com/2009/03/sam-vakin-diagnosed-psychopath.html

(Social life in the Grand Siecle) is the school of what is called honour, the universal master who shall be everywhere our guide. Three things we observe there, and find constantly mentioned: that our virtues should be touched with a certain politeness. The virtues exhibited in this society are always less what one owes to others than what owes to oneself; they are not so much a response to an appeal from our fellow-citizens as a mark of distinction between us and them.
- Montesquieu

Achievement comes in small steps, but  of them.
- Beyond Brawn

The main characteristic of Nature's farming can therefore be
summed up in a few words. Mother earth never attempts to farm
without live stock; she always raises mixed crops; great pains are
taken to preserve the soil and to prevent erosion; the mixed
vegetable and animal wastes are converted into humus; there is no
waste; the processes of growth and the processes of decay balance
one another; ample provision is made to maintain large reserves of
fertility; the greatest care is taken to store the rainfall; both plaints
and animals are left to protect themselves against disease.
- An Agricultural Testament by Albert Howard

Better hope the life-inspector doesn't come around while you have your life in such a mess.
- Linux Fortune

American life, especially urban life, is an intensive education in the two most ignoble vices of the human spirit, which are fear
and hatred.

There can be no doubt of this; to prove it, stand ten minutes in view of any urban thoroughfare and look at the faces around you, study them attentively, and see how many you can pick out that betoken dignity, self-respect, intelligence, force of character, calmness and gentleness of spirit. Try it at the corner of Broad and Market, in Times Square, or where you will. Then see how many express habitual fear, habitual hatred; fear for one's job, fear of traffic, fear of one's boss or one's banker, fear of opinion, fear of the consequence of some kind of "break," of some turn in the stock market or in trade, and above all, deadly fear of ideas; hatred of competitors in business or society, of forestallers, of people who jostle one on the street or tread on one's toes in the subway, of the driver who just misses running one down, of the pedestrian whom one just misses running down. It is a life that besets one by every known form of hatred and fear, by night and day; and the appropriate moral indurations must follow.

There is only one observation to be made concerning all this, which is that a society chiefly animated by fear and hatred, and exhibiting so pronouncedly the moral indurations which the constant exercise of fear and hatred induce, is simply not a civilized society. It throws back steadily to a troglodytic stage of human development. A people so deeply marked by these indurations is not a civilized people; that is the whole story. There is every evidence that the governing spirit of the Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal types was that of fear and hatred, and that their exercise of these deforming vices left in them very little ground for the rootage of instincts and dispositions properly called humane. These types are called uncivilized, but it does not lie in the American mouth to call them so, for the spiritual development of American society, under the dominant influence of the same master-passions, is toward a precise reproduction of these types. A society that elects to live by its fears and hatreds may be ever so rich, powerful and pretentious, but it is not civilized. It is no trouble to imagine the Cro-Magnon somehow becoming all three, but it is impossible to imagine him as in consequence approaching any nearer the status of civilized man.
- "Book of Journeymen" by Albert Jay Nock

Well, I would say this: when you move down the road towards mastery of the martial arts—and you know, you are constantly moving down that road—you end up coming up against these barriers inside yourself that will attempt to stop you from continuing to pursue the mastery of the martial arts. And these barriers are such things as when you come up against your own limitations, when you come up against the limitations of your will, your ability, your natural ability, your courage, how you deal with success—and failure as well, for that matter. And as you overcome each one of these barriers, you end up learning something about yourself. And sometimes, the things you learn about yourself can, to the individual, seem to convey a certain spiritual sense along with them.

...It's funny, every time you come up against a true barrier to your progress, you are a child again. And it's a very interesting experience to be reduced, once again, to the level of knowing nothing about What you're doing. I think there's a lot of room for learning and growth when that happens—if you face it head on and don't choose to say, "Ah, screw that! I'm going to do something else!"

We reduce ourselves at a certain point in our lives to kind of solely pursuing things that we already know how to do. You know, because you don't want to have that experience of not knowing what you're doing and being an amateur again. And I think that's rather unfortunate. It's so much interesting and usually illuminating to put yourself in a situation where you don't know whats going to happen, than to do something again that you already know essentially what the outcome will be within three or four points either way.
- Brandon Lee

Bruce had me up to three miles a day, really at a good pace.So this morning he said to me "We're going to go five [miles]." I said, "Bruce, I can't go five. I'm a helluva lot older than you are, and I can''tdo five." He said, "When we get to three, we'll shift gears and it's only two more and you'll do it." I said "Okay, hell, I'll go for it." So we get to three, we go into the fourth mile and I'm okay for three or four minutes, and then I really begin to give out. I'm tired, my heart's pounding, I can't go any more and so I say to him, "Bruce if I run any more, "-and we're still running-"if I run any more I'm liable to have a heart attack and die." He said, "Then die." It made me so mad that I went the full five miles. Afterward I went to the shower and then I want, ed to talk to him about it. I said, you know, '''Why did you say that?" He said, "Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level."
- John Little, "The Way of the Warrior"

But the fact remains that those who are in power are after all only men and what they have hold of is not a dream but a grim reality and that as the terrible necessities of their experiment have challenged them they have not hesitated to scrap first one and then another of the spiritual elements in their dream. It will always be so.

Liberty will always be the first victim in every plan to concentrate vast powers in a central State run by men and not by angels. That is why there are more slaves in the world today than there were before the war to end slavery.
- "The Road Ahead" by John T. Flynn

But this question runs back to the previous question of the general end and aim of all education. What is it for? I am not now speaking of training, which has instrumental knowledge for its purview, but of education, which is a matter of formative knowledge. When you want chemists, mechanics, engineers, bond-salesmen, lawyers, bankers and so on, you train them; training, in short, is for a vocational purpose. Education contemplates another kind of product; what is it? One of the main elements in it, I should say, is the power of disinterested reflection. One unmistakable mark of an educated man is his ability to take a detached, impersonal and competent view of something that deeply engages his affections, one way or the other—something that he likes very much. The study of history has really no other purpose than to help put this mark on a man. If one does not study it with this end in view, there is no use in studying it at all.
- Albert J. Nock, Book of Journeymen

Delusions are states of refuge. The mind, unable to comprehend realities or to deal with them, finds its ease in superstitions, beliefs and modes of irrational procedure. It is easier to believe than to think.
- "A Time is Born" by Garet Garret

Do not give in to evil, but proceed ever more boldly against it.
- unknown

"Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Christopher Caustic in his "Democracy Unveiled or Tyranny Stripped Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What is the relation between the god particle and the mind?'s there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."
- "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand

Genius is only a superior power of seeing.
- John Ruskin, famed art and social critic

If you must play, decide on three things at the start: the rules of the game, the stakes, and the quitting time
- Chinese Proverb

It is the practice of the multitude to bark at eminent men, as little dogs do at strangers, for they look upon other men's virtues as the upbraiding of their own wickedness. We should do well to commend those that are good; if not, let us pass them over.
- Seneca

Living poor is like being sentenced to exist in a stormy sea in a battered canoe, requiring all your strength simply to keep afloat; there is never any question of reaching a destination. True poverty is a state of perpetual crisis, and one wave just a little bigger or coming from an unexpected direction can and usually does wreck things. Some benevolent ignorance denies a poor man the ability to see the squalid sequence of his life, except very rarely; he views it rather as a disconnected string of unfortunate sadnesses. Never having paddled on a calm sea, he is unable to imagine one. I think if he could connect the chronic hunger, the sickness, the death of his children, the almost unrelieved physical and emotional tension into the pattern that his life inevitably takes he would kill himself.
- "Living Poor: A Year in the Peace Corps"

Mind control is the first element of a full existence
- Arnold Bennet

My mention of Offenbach a moment ago reminds me that it had one thing which was destined shortly to disappear from American life, a sound sense of gaiety. Its spontaneous manifestations of true gaiety were the first I saw in America, and they were also the last. I have seen plenty of vapid frivolity since then; boisterousness, hysterical nerve-tensions, mechanical escape-devices, all manner of pitiful and vulgar travesties on the real thing; but not since I was ten years old have I encountered the free play of a collective instinct for the best in a civilised desipere in loco. Nor is it altogether without reason that this should be so, for as a French writer lately remarked, American society is the only one which has passed directly from barbarism into decadence without once knowing civilisation.
- Albert Jay Nock, "Memoirs of a Superflous Man"

The above quote reminds me of a photo series "The Land of No Smiles" about North Korea - but how often do you see people laughing joyously in America?

Naive trust in the power of words to command reality is found in all mass delusions.
- A Time is Born by Garet Garret

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt, 1783

NEVER COMPLAIN, NEVER EXPLAIN, NEVER ARGUE, AND YOU WILL GET MORE FUN OUT OF LIFE
- ALBERT JAY NOCK

People are different. Whatever is qualitatively different and remains in a state of permanent evolution cannot be equal.

Similarly, it is extremely difficult for a psychologist to believe in the value of any social ideology based on simplified or even naive psychological premises. This applies to any ideology which attempts to over-simplify psychological reality, whether it be one utilized by a totalitarian system or, unfortunately, by democracy as well. People are different. Whatever is qualitatively different and remains in a state of permanent evolution cannot be equal.
- "Political Ponerology" (a must read IMHO for all of the resident super geniuses)

People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.
- Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes

Strong men feed on depressions
- John Flynn in "God's Gold"

The disparity between what we know and what we do is the supreme tragedy.
- Garet Garret in A Time is Born

The first principle you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool
- Richard P. Feynman

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth, dwelling deeply in the present moment and feeling truly alive.
- Thich Nhat Hanh

To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.
- Amos Bronson Alcott

When I was next in England, four years later, intelligence and wisdom would not have exempted a Socrates, Jesus, Confucius, if of military age, from conscript service as a private in the front line, side by side with the half-witted; what other use would the State have had for his proficiencies? It all seemed natural and reasonable enough, and I could not get stirred up about it, as so many were. What was the best that the State could find to do with an actual Socrates and an actual Jesus when it had them? Merely to poison the one and crucify the other, for no reason but that they were too intolerably embarrassing to be allowed to live any longer.
- Albert Jay Nock

This above all, refuse to be a victim
- Margeret Atwood

Act as though it were impossible to fail.
- Dorothy Brande

I knew what I had to do and how to do it
- Limitless

A mark or grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a student has attained an indefinite amount of material.
-Paul Dresse

You need not leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. You need not even listen, simply wait. You need not even wait, just learn to become quiet and still, and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you unmasked. It has no choice; it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.
- Franz Kafka

I found 2/3 of "The Wisdom of the Stoics" to be essential quotes, free online if you google it.

^that last quote, the Kafka quote, is one of my all-time favorite quotes. Every time I see it, I say, "Yes. Yes, it does". What is amazing to me is that even though I believe this to be true, know through experience that it is true, that the truth of it can overwhelm you with unimaginable beauty, that I still clutter my life up and forget to just be quiet and still.

Last edited:
29515cd71da7283c90a285d3463889b4.jpg

Keep reading this over and over in the hope that it will give me strength.