• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Musical brain

Egzoset

Bluelighter
Salutations,

This subject which once retained my attention has resurfaced lately so i kind of wonder about cannabis-induced modulations of musical development, that sort of topics, etc., etc... Maybe all i need is a few magic "keywords" to start a Google search but right now most of what i could find so far doesn't even remotely correspond to the description i'd infer from an expression such as formulated in my title.

My interest is loosely focussed on a somewhat undefined zone bridging mood and auditive perceptions, if that makes sense at all. I like to call it a "door", actually... Some "magic" door which would grant access to a whole new audiophile space via some more magic: Dame Cannabis!!

x6n1ie.jpg
axgn4n.gif
ac7b49.jpg

By the way, c'mon guys. Please do yourself a favour - or at least give it a few shots: VAPORIZE!!

6.gif

In any case, this is about vague reminescences of a video i watched some day on YouTube and the subject seemed to be linked to emotional over-sensitivity in cervical regions specialized for musical perception or whatnot. I forgot so i can't be much more specific than this, sorry.

106.gif

WARNING!:

Applying to oneself any principle(s) derived from matters involked here could lead to all sorts of hazardous results...

coneheads2.jpg

You've been advised!...

=D

Salutations, time to pop it up!

NSFW:

I'd suggest to download music locally (using a tool as found at DownLoadHelper-dot-Net, etc.), in order to gain the option of equalizer adjustments (and beyond), like those found on VLC, etc... This may be a precious enhancement having more control at times.

=D

Salutations 1394,

Or would you prefer FireWire?...
3.gif

Your question (?) makes little, if any, sense.

Do you mean this part down here, more specifically?

« ...cannabis-induced modulations of musical development... »

7.gif

If so, by "musical development" i just meant over the years...

But anyway... pot et al. always makes me go "oooooooh so that's what they mean..."

Oh, but for me that's not it at all actually!! You see, i'm a French-Canadian natively and this allows me to filter out most of the litteral content if i feel like it. Obvious words will get through but i prefer to focus on intonations and my own emotions which this will evoke. It's not as much a spiritual experience to me than it is musical, almost physical. I might even call that primitive in a sense.

For example, the topic chosen by the author isn't mine but the mood his song carries happens to coïncide with something i can relate to.

Don't ask me what that would be though, it's a world without words ultimately! With unusual infra-red energy radiating outwards i imagine...

=D

If you only see Firewire, you're not even halfway there.

I thought you were referring to deep, psychedelic phrasing by "modulations of musical development."

Salutations 1394,

If you only see Firewire, you're not even halfway there.

Call me NS16450A if that makes you feel better! I'm not pretending i know what's the origin of your alias name, actually, but i find maybe it's a perfect opportunity to invite a development. So please proceed - with caution (wounds don't heal fast when age kicks in)!...

6.gif

I thought you were referring to deep, psychedelic phrasing by "modulations of musical development."

That sounds good to hear, i wonder if you wouldn't have a sample in mind?!... I'll post one of my own preference in order to illustrate that my experience takes place at another level, more intuitive and less analytical perhaps (not implying one way is superior to another):

The contrast with normal singer performance may seem a bit exagerated in my example, yet it's one case where i don't listen to the words much, not even the beat (at least consciously). The voice carries some heavy sense of drama at that moment and it's a blessing to be free to build anew around it instead of always going through the same pattern each time (because of a subject imposed by words). Well, provided i let myself invaded, if not transported.

No matter what, i go there because i want to, it's not cannabis: it's me. The Gate Keeper simply opens a door, i do the walking!

=D

Last edited:
For me this one's about transitions and buildups, i guess:

NSFW:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Z8PB-r6XQ#t=33s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Z8PB-r6XQ#t=122s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Z8PB-r6XQ#t=248s

YouTube: Gary Numan - Hybrid

Of course it's got to be part of the whole context.

=D

Hi there WA,

Is there a gas leak in here? I'm lost.

Usually it shouldn't come as a surprize if you've read my initial warning...

...all sorts of hazardous results...

M'yeah, i'd say i've got "being lost" well covered!...

=D

ADDENDUM:

Okay, i've thought of a clearer hint: passive vs active listening.

The strings of a guitar resonate passively if i shout a proper note into its front aperture, by comparison the sense of music is an active process and i believe the resonance may have wildly varying degrees of significance depending on a person's musical background. To some people all music is like musak just good enough to fill silence in an elevator, to others it makes them vibrate, so to speak - or even litterally, in the manner of a live antenna... My impression is that everyone doesn't have equal musical aptitudes in the same way we don't all become professional signers: a good "organ" would help a great deal when signing in public IMO, too bad it's not a universal gift.

Sometimes listening may be limited to consuming art while it could be a lot more involving personally, as if instead of appreciating a sculpture the auditor could participate to a material performance in progres... Then it will touch one's mood more deeply, if/when allowed i'd say. Yet, a somewhat dynamic audition doesn't necessarily imply creativity of a corresponding type: i can dance and express myself creatively through body language but that wouldn't be about musical perception, since the organ differs greatly.

We learn music through our ears but those only feed another organ which ultimately allows real appreciation, this organ is virtual (think of computer software) and acquired via multiple "filters", including culture. I'm talking about human experience deeply hidden in the brain...

Since we're all different i guess each of us have got their congnitive functions uniquely but similarily "wired". How wild are those variations, what happens beyond such margin if that's possible at all, etc. Is it just a matter of acquired reflexes, though highly-complex still conditioned as in a Pavlov experiment?!... Or is there more to it, depending on training and exercise?... Body builders have huge muscles as a result of patient work, so... How well can one hope to grow his musical organ???

Last edited:
Weed makes you feel good, no more discussion needed. It is the cushion for musical develpoment. Without drugs there would be no music.

This thread hurts my brains. I really find all of egzosets post really weird & creepy, sorry dude.

Salutations everyone,
Foule en délir!...

15.gif

I wonder if that will help it. Anyway, the YouTube segments referenced previously aren't centered around some message expressed with language (words). At least not for the main part.

Their meaning lies elsewhere. It could be an atypical voice intonation, spacial effects... Different types of music, etc. Things that relatively fertile imagination can build on...

=D

For me, weed alters time and makes me hear parts of songs I'd NEVER heard before (backing vocals, instruments, etc). It also gives a different perspective on the meaning of lyrics that seem more cryptic/nonsensical when sober.

While I dig stimulants and MDMA, music that is made by stoners/for stoners generally sounds better to me than stuff made during the height of the cocaine era or rave-y techno music for MDMA users. Personal preference there :)

Salutations Lady Codone,

For me, weed alters time and makes me hear parts of songs I'd NEVER heard before (backing vocals, instruments, etc).

Chronologic perception would seem to be an important variable that we appear to share. For example, it's one thing to expect a passage to pass in comparison to joining the mood expecting its finale - which is already known and yet waited for... Actually i could argue that music is a time machine, it makes me travel through places where i've stood once. Often enough it's more like a catalyst of sorts, some helper-tool instead of the primary focussing point. It all depends.

Photo albums aren't very different except vision is the corresponding organ. Now, if music were like sight then there would be colour-blind music listening as a result... Dogs, which got an exceptional sense of smell, would make gifted music listeners if music depended on their sense of smell - but they'd lack other essential skills. Etc.

It also gives a different perspective on the meaning of lyrics that seem more cryptic/nonsensical when sober.

Perhaps Cannabis adds an element of unpredictability and that would act as a sort of fuzzy-logic leading to creative ways.

Personal preference...

Yes, it's all very subjective.. No need to mention!

Some listening sessions feel like work at times, many years ago i saw a video relating the history of a person with unusual personality features that made this person react to music in a very direct way, as if that individual's "organ" happened to be optimized to a point it magnified mood response: music seemed real in the sense of "tangible" in this very special case and that's how i became curious to know more on the subject.

Have you identified features in music which interferes with your internal clock?... I like when space expands between my ears, when i close my eyes and the horizon disapears!...

=D

Last edited:
^^^ I like your argument that music is a time-machine. I can relate, but I don't feel that the effect is complete. It feels more transient between two space-times than a transportion from present to past.

Salutations Gyrospeck,

...time-machine. ... ...more transient between two space-times than a transportion from present to past.

Then maybe not a time-machine as a whole but what if music could serve as the index of one instead?? An index working somewhat lottery-style to some extent...

10.gif

Turning on my radio opens a directory to navigate through and then when moods finally appear to match it's time to wear earphones, to start exploring that library! At the end i quit my activity replenished, with some tolerance build-up preventing abuse of this form of introspective tourism in a way: too much thinking can feel tiresome after all.

5.gif

The first time i heard of a "music brain" i gathered it was about persons who seem to feel music through less filtering layers than the average human: their "organ" would "process" musical perception differently, possibly more directly - somehow these individuals had an optimized "wiring" but it was years ago, on the net or a TV show (NOVA, go figure!)...

All i can tell is that i thought this was a about some gift of which i thought i could recognize some aspects in my own way of listening. Direct exposure, a sense of vulnerability... The mood inducing waves just pass through and reach their corresponding antenna without requiring much socially-encoded translation. In fact text songs usually make that magic vanish for me so i suppose this could be one hint among many.

Is it possible to acquire via training what others got by birth?

=D