• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Codeine & CWE (aka cdub) Megathread: third time's the charm

any newbies reading this should be aware that it can be dangerous to mix opiates and benzos.

excellent call, that's a huge concern. i often overlook the danger of benzos being used in a cocktail, having a huge tolerance to them myself these days, but excellent work pointing that out!
I'll be giving the DXM potentiation a whirl on friday night, i've done some extra reading though and there seems to be a lot of conflicting ideas about whether or not it works, not really a concern to me, i'll still try it out, worst case scenario it doesn't work, i'll still get my nice codeine buzz. just amazes me that there are so many theories as to how and why potentiators do or don't work, could read them forever and still not get a definitive answer.
all that being said, bluelight has been my saviour for a lot of drug research, especially when it comes to getting people's opinions and experiences. so i will definitely give it a whirl and see how it goes :)

well, bluelight, erowid and of course, THE MERCK INDEX

any newbies reading this should be aware that it can be dangerous to mix opiates and benzos.

fair call mate, I shouldn't assume that all forum members are in the know.

Mixing CNS depressants all have their dangers, be it benzos ..opiates ..alcohol etc

So! I had a crack at using DXM to potentiate codeine!
I dosed 90mg of DXM about 40 minutes before I took my codeine and I was pleasantly surprised! The effects of the codeine felt substantially stronger, I even had a very slight nod at one point! Although the high did feel a bit different, not necessarily in a bad way, but it just felt a little different.
The only draw back was a bit of nausea after the high, once the codeine wore off I had a slight after glow for a few hours which was nice, but it was followed by waves of mild nausea, wasn't too bad, didn't result in vomiting or anything it was just a bit uncomfortable. I'm assuming the nausea came from the DXM, because I've never had nausea from codeine before. All in all though it was definitely a success, that being said, I don't know if I'll do it all the time, Robitussin tastes fucking horrible!

Glad it worked for you.

I found, when starting out with DXM, that going beyond 60mg produced nearly a stimulant effect when combined with codeine. So much so that it affected the high in a negative way. Probably a good combo for getting shit done around the house, as opposed to getting eaten by the couch as you enjoy watching dust float to the floor.

And yeah, the taste isn't fantastic. I've been curious about trying to extract the dxm from the syrup. I haven't really looked into it yet though.

Yeah the DXM syrup tastes foul, I used to just wash it down quickly with juice of some kind. A small dose of Restavit (doxylamine succinate) should help with the nausea, which could be caused by either the robitussin (which definitely upsets the stomach a bit for me) or the increased potency of the codeine.

tried the agent lemon extraction method a while back and it turned out ok....not a fan of dxm tho!

codeine withdrawal is no joke for the opiate naive user, found out first hand what WD even felt like over the last 4-5 days. Feeling good today and almost back to normal.

Symptoms were sweating, chills coming from lower back, malaise, minimal sleep and of course diarrhea.

Went cold turkey and am happy that i terminated a 3 month habit that was spiralling out of control as fast as possible .

Interestingly, i was having a break from weed at the same time and it felt as if the psychological WD from weed, as well as the physical WD from codeine created a shitstorm in my body. Almost confusion.

Didnt expect WD from a 3 month habit on/off dosing between 350-1200mg. No ceiling effect was noticed, as i think mr blonde encountered as well. the ceiling effect is different for everybody i believe now.

I've been doing CWEs for years now, i do enjoy codeine quite a bit, i space my usage out though, it's just a lovely little treat when i have a day off work and im just chilling at home.
Question though, today I used a certain generic pharmacy brand of 500mg paracetamol, 15mg codeine tablets, the solution I got was nice and clear, but had a weird yellow colour to it, anyone know what the deal with that is? the tablets themselves were white. i haven't consumed it yet because I wanted to double check before hand. but yeah, the solution isn't cloudy or milky at all, its nice and clear, it's just yellow haha

IIRC yellow/orange solutions came from yellow/orange tablets, so the fact you have yellow from white is a little concerning to me. However, you say it's clear, so it's likely there's no paracetamol in it. That being said I can't recommend drinking it because the colour change doesn't make sense - unless there's a couorant in the ingredients list on the box.

IIRC yellow/orange solutions came from yellow/orange tablets, so the fact you have yellow from white is a little concerning to me. However, you say it's clear, so it's likely there's no paracetamol in it. That being said I can't recommend drinking it because the colour change doesn't make sense - unless there's a couorant in the ingredients list on the box.

Yeah I thought it was a tad weird as well, I still haven't consumed it yet. The only ingredient other than paracetamol and codeine that is listed on the box is lactose. The tablets are described as being "white to off white" in colour (although they look flat out white to me), so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it?

But yeah as I said the solution is perfectly clear, it's just yellow. Think I'll hold off on consuming it until I get more info about it, just to be safe, but surely someone else has encountered this before?

but surely someone else has encountered this before?

Never. Not even heard of it. That is very, very odd. I haven't done a CWE in a while though so perhaps it's something someone else can comment on.

Only question: what did you use to strain the solution? Ie. Is it possible that the straining cloth/filter had dye in it which changed the colour of the water used?

Quick question, I have spent more time than i'd care to admit reading both CWE threads and chemistry websites and I can not understand what the point is of using warm water and cooling it down. From my understanding, just using 20 degree water for the whole process (rather than starting with warm water, cooling until just above freezing then filtering at as cooler temperature as possible) would work just as well since codeine is virtually completely soluble in the say 70ml of any temperature water, and no mater what temperature the water is that is used, you would (for say a 100ml extraction) get a theoretical maximum of 1.5g of paracetamol into the final product (probably closer to 1g).

So my question is, why is the cooling process necessary, can I just do the whole process with cold tap water from start to finish?

Thank you for your advice.

^ I think the main reason is just to get the pills to dissolve better/quicker.

In theory the codeine is easily soluble in cold water of a certain volume, but in practice when it is pressed into tablets with large volumes of other substances it can take a while to actually dissolve. Using warm water will make the tablets dissolve into solution more readily.

OK thank you for clearing that up. May I ask what is the point of cooling the water? I understand that paracetamol is less soluble in cooler water but the difference is negligible. Say doing a 100ml extraction of 40 500/15 pills, if using warm water (say ~30 degrees) compared to cold water, the total amount of additional paracetamol in the final product would be less than 500mg (say a theoretical maximum of 1.5grams compared to 1 gram). I understand that it is probably safer to cool it, but if it is only going to result in such a minute difference in paracetamol solubility I can't see what the purpose is unless you were doing a massive extraction. If you were doing CWE's every day, it may be worth it, but for the odd CWE, I doubt ingesting 1.5g of paracetamol is really that bad.

I am not disputing the tried and tested CWE method, just trying to understand the logic behind it.

Thank you again for your advice.

^ I guess due to the fact that when writing an instructional on how to perform CWE, one cannot know the dose or frequency of dosing that any given reader will end up taking, so it is safer to list the procedure that will result in the least possible contamination, making the end result safer to be used by people taking heavy and/or frequent doses.

I was one that carefully crushed he's pills.

Due to them being crushed, they dissolved quicker, giving me more confidence to use only cold water for the entire extraction. Making sure to do a decent soak.

If you have a decent amount of time to do it, leave in fridge overnight if possible. There's been a couple posts through this thread that state the soak overnight helped immensely.

Codeine is water soluble at very low temps.

I started off crushing my pills but quickly concluded that it was a waste of time. There are bound to be losses, whether that is due to powder dust lost in the air or crushed pill powder sticking to whatever surface you break the pills down on. I just don't see as much starting material making it into the glass as when I simply pop a packet straight in there, which also happens to take less effort.

I also found when performing larger extractions I would spend as much time pounding pills to get them crushed as I would waiting for them to dissolve if I just poured warm water over the intact tablets.

To each their own, but personally I always ended up using intact pills and if I were ever to perform CWE again, either for myself, or as a demonstration for others, I would always employ this method.

Last edited:
So basically a good method would be:

1. crush 40 15/500 pills, dissolve in 100ml of warm (not hot) water, shaking vigorously for 5 mins (or not?)
2. Place in fridge for as long as possible (no need for freezer) assuming user is comfortable ingesting 1.5 grams of paracetamol (assuming near perfect filtration)
3. Filter a little bit at a time so as not to clog filters
4. Repeat step 3 until liquid is clear.

One thing, whats up with the purple tinge to the otherwise crystal clear water resulting from a Panadeine Extra extraction?

As stated earlier, I carefully crushed my pills. The main reason is so I could use cold water for the entire extraction.

To me that sounds safer than using any warm/hot water to dissolve the pills (in turn dissolving more para/ibu for your final solution).

The losses from crushing seemed tiny, and codeine is cheap (ie. buy more and use more pills) and I like to pretend I treat my liver with care.

But as d_m mentioned, to each his own.