• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Meth Withdrawal and Seizures

mellocooper

Greenlighter
After 4 months of regularly smoking meth, I stopped last week...Besides terrible depression, fits of anger, and lethargy, many times when i stood up, even slowly, from resting, I would get light headed and then go into a full blown seizure: I experienced loss of consciousness, shaking, waking up disoriented, etc...
Has anyone heard of this? They lasted for 4 days, gradually tapering off.....It was scary as hell. Any insight or similar experiences
would be much appreciated! Oh, and I take Effexor 150mg in case that matters...

Last edited:
Have you been taking your Effexor as prescribed?
Or when you were on meth did you skip a few days of taking the Effexor?

Mixing Effexor and methamphetamine is most likely what caused your seizure. I strongly recommend that you avoid combining these two drugs in the future.

Holy shit, I didn't know seizures we're a possibility from quitting meth. I've been on a binge since December 23rd, i've gotten sleep n shit, not much food or anything though, but after checking out this thread I decided against it. That's nuts.

Read again.
Mixing Effexor and methamphetamine is most likely what caused your seizure. I strongly recommend that you avoid combining these two drugs in the future.

Get it?

Holy shit, I didn't know seizures we're a possibility from quitting meth. I've been on a binge since December 23rd, i've gotten sleep n shit, not much food or anything though, but after checking out this thread I decided against it. That's nuts.

Lol you decided against taking anymore meth after a 7 day binge.
A wise decision.
A slight delay of a week and a bit of a "missread" post, and a decision to stop.
These things happen for a reason.
I think someone is looking out for you.

Eat and sleep ASAP.
;)

Mixing methamphetamine withdrawal and Effexor*

naw, erase the "withdrawl" part, you were right the first time.

NEVER TAKE ANY TYPE OF AMPHETAMINE WITH ANY TYPE OF ANTI-DEPRESSANT.

Venlafaxine (effexor) can increase the effects of methamphetamine, and side effects such as jitteriness, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, and racing thoughts have been reported.
Combining these medications can also increase the risk of a serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

you've decided against quitting meth because you think that there's a risk for a seizure?

nonononononono....

1. withdrawls from meth RARELY, if EVER, are marked by having seizures.

2. if you read what the original poster said, he said "oh, btw, I'm also taking Effexor." <------ that right there, is what caused the seizures, NOT BECAUSE THEY QUIT USING METH.

3. go back to your original plan and QUIT USING METH.

Wow, I had started to shake pretty bad the last couple days of using, and still have shaky hands. I sweated a lot, had blurred vision and was uncoordinated too....these symptoms just paled next to the seizures so I didn't mention them....wondering if it was in fact serotonin syndrome. Thank You for the info!

Have you been sleeping at night?
What other medication/vitamins do you take?
Do you drink alcohol?

The symptoms you described as being "pale" next to a seizure is a "good" sign, as long as the symptoms keep getting less and less over the next few days, logic says you are recovering.
Don't overthink it, unless something physical and uncontrollable happens (which shouldn't be the case).

Thank you for this-looked up serotonin syndrom, and it might have been that, but like you said, I'm improving, so I'm feeling less worried. I just can't believe I did this to myself...live and learn I suppose! Oh-no alcohol or other meds, and I sleep a bit, not much.

Oh-no alcohol or other meds, and I sleep a bit, not much.
That is a major plus in your favour.
Trying to quit meth with other substances lying around at the ready will most of the time keep you in the meth cycle.
By facing the negative effects and getting through them without the use of another drug or "vice", will make the last 4 months a kinda experimentation that didn't workout in the end.

Just keep taking your Effexor (if you feel it is helping you), but if taking it and not seeing an improvement in your mood after a month then go to the doctor who prescribed it and tell him it isn't working and you would rather try something else to see if it will work any better.
Unfortunately anti-depressants are kinda like a trial and error project.
So you need to give feedback to the doctor otherwise he wouldn't be the wiser, you can't measure depression like taking one's blood pressure.
Communicate with the medicine man, I mean he isn't exactly paying you to come and see him/her.
Lastly, from my own experience with the medical profession, if you aren't getting any worse, the doctor will stick to what he/she has prescribed, and only you can tell if the A/D's are making any difference. (just a tip to remember for the future). If they aren't working don't stop taking them. Go to your doc and try a different route.

You are holding the controls, don't let yourself go into an autopilot phase, if you know what I mean.

speed/ uppers don't cause seizures. in most cases you will become tired,groggy,fuzzy head,dizzy,sleep for days,hungry and very depressed. When you mix and do combo , is when you can have issues.

Yes, I definitely am familiar with autopilot: I have too much to lose to slip into that....I will definitely keep on my effexor, and actually need to get on other meds for my rheumatoid arthritis and bipolar conditions....I ran out of meds the second month on my run and never bothered to go back to the doctor's(I was feeling just dandy at the time, and was paranoid my meth use would be obvious...)
My deepest fear now is that I will slide into a pit of deep depression. I thought I would be on my own with all this, but then I found Bluelight...It is a great feeling to know I can discuss this, not be judged, AND have valuable feedback from people who actually seem to care...I am so grateful.

I think it's pretty clear that the combinations of drugs you were taking for your various conditions as well as the meth is what led to the seizures.. The sudden stopping of meth almost never causes seizures unless there was some other drug involved that shouldn't have been.

But, to play Captain Obvious for a second... quitting meth should be something you should seriously consider after this. Easier said than done I know.. but, doesn't sound like you're having very good experiences.