• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Diphenhydramine and Cannabis; Second Time; Unexpected Euphoria, then Total Paranoia

stratofortress

Bluelighter
Before I'll begin I'll just add a few notes. First of all, this took place some time ago. Since then I have taken DPH far too many times than could be considered rational, considering how easily this experience turns bad. I think the reason this particular trip went wrong was the addition of the cannabis; the psychedelic edge probably led to increased visuals, and paranoia - 2 elements one should try to avoid adding together to a drug experience. The best experiences I've had with DPH have been in combo with diazepam, about 50mg or so, for obvious reasons. In fact, I'd rank one of these diaz/dph experiences as amongst the best I've had of any drug. I was so stoned I could barely move. But that won't be everyone's kick.

I should also add that this was a 'real time' trip report, so gets pretty incoherent at times. Then again maybe that's not a bad thing per se; you can figure out my mental state by how much sense I'm able to make. Ah, anyway, read it if you want.

Setting
24 year old male, about 9 stone 10 lb, not happy with where his life is at the moment, bedroom in mother's house (see? Would you be happy about that?)

Ingested
260mg approximately of Diphenhydramine, 0.2 grams of cannabis.

T-0:0 Feeling the effects of the cannabis quite strongly. Which is kind of odd considering I smoked my last joint less than 24 hours ago. Put some Bowie 'Golden Years' on to set a nice mood. 'If You Want Me To Stay' comes on next. The Sly Stone version that is. I'm thinking he was pretty groovy, Sly Stone. His look was fairly 'outrageous', and that must have taken balls. I know he liked a good time; took a violin case of drugs with him everywhere. Think he got busted and sent away for a bit as well. Looks utterly bizarre now; a slightly overweight man wearing 'gangsta' costume jewellery and hip-hop attire.

T-0:15 I'm feeling fine, writing is proving to be an enjoyable if slightly more difficult than usual task. Put some 'Luther Vandross' on. He's another flamboyant one. I reckon John Waters appreciates his 'aesthetic'. As a rookie film-maker John Waters used to have long hair – but here's the weird part – he also had the famous pencil-moustache. Looked odd on him, that's for sure. Quite attractive in an androgynous way.

T-0:20 Little Richard has made an appearance. There's a definite theme in my musical choice at the moment; I likes it camp, and I likes it black. Only a matter of time till I'm having my ears defiled by (the artist formerly known as) Prince. As an aside, Prince was extremely shy, especially early in his career. TV interviews of him show him barely able to speak he was so nervous. A serious case of some form of social neurosis.

For some reason when I selected Prince's baroque-pop hymn to digital pleasure, 'Jack U Off', I got instead a performance of some Chopin (er...the 'Revolutionary Etude') played by Horowitz. Which sat pretty nicely actually. Anyway Mingus has just turned up unannounced as well so I'm gonna have another go at getting my Prince.

T-0:30 Success. I'm now listening to a song about masturbation sung by a small muscular man with a goatee. When I said 'baroque pop' earlier, I wasn't really meaning in the sense of the genre that bands like the Beach Boys and 'Piggies'-era Beatles are placed in. I just think there's something about the keyboards especially, that sound almost as if they could have been written by Bach had he suffered from a case of Ergot poisoning. The instrumentation is quite 'classical', and certainly not grungy in any way. It's clean and well polished; and for good reason: it's got no flaws to hide. His songs are very 'tight', and his androgynous crystal-clear vocals compliment this backdrop well. The fact that his lyrics are so outrageously overt adds a strong sense of the 'surreal'. I hope that was his attention.

Anyway no real effects from the diphenhydramine yet, except for a slight sedation. Certainly feeling good listening to a bit of Little Richard though, so I'm sort of tempted to add +25mg to the dosage. I figure that'd be safe enough; if things go wrong I've always got half a reefer left and some valium if I actually freak out.

T-0:45 Blown myself away with some Elvis Presley – Jailhouse Rock. Such energy. It's a shame his reputation has been sullied so much by crass American Las Vegas ten gallon hats. I just think of fat American elderly couples on the golf course or something. I'll make a conscious effort to see him as a Rock' n' Roll pioneer with energetic charisma from now on.

Finding I'm enjoying the intensity of music with 'energy' at the moment. Put some 'Weapon Of Choice' by Norman Bates on. As the 'groove' dropped I felt an almost physical sense of falling, similar to that thing where you're driving and go over a big dip and feel it in your sort of prostate area. Watching the video for this, with Christopher Walken flying about off balconies and stuff I hope I don't get any weird ideas later.

T-1hr So it's been about an hour since taking 200mg and smoking a fair bit of cannabis. Talking to a person I call a 'friend' on MSN instant messenger. Don't want to open the youtube link in case it harshes my buzz. It sounds really great when the 'Beat' in a song gets 'dropped'. It must be linked to dopamine release or something. The DJ builds up, holding off, prolonging the insatiable thirst for the return of the full heavy groove – the 'reward' that gives you that little good feeling.

T-1:10 Because I'm Norman Bates I'm 24 and live with my mother, the risk of my mother walking in (a major buzzkill for the majority of stoned people) was going to be fairly high. And it's just happened. It's also worth noting that the more 'deleriant' or just plain trippy effects have started to become quite a bit more noticable (picking up the tangled pile of headpones from the shadow of my laptop took a bit of courage).

God relatives are always a bring down. Having someone who you assume to care for you seeing you potentially putting your health at risk, or risking addiction and more serious problems is a bummer. My mother, as she left my room and saw the piece of foil I'd been vaping Methiopropamine off, looked at me and asked in a concerned manner “is that heroin you've been smoking?”

A buzzkill.

T-1hr:20 I should probably smoke some more weed. I'd rather wait till my mum's in bed though. Don't need her any more 'upset'(?)' over my life at this moment.

It's be hard to deny the effects of the drug now. Coming up, with the weed on board was somewhat more of a euphoric experience, with thoughts flowing very easily. Now it's becoming harder to type, and I cam see fractal patterns suspended in front of my laptop monitor.

Man, why do I have a 'shag-hair'. OK I've just completely forgotten what I was gonna say. What the hell is a 'shag-hair'?

Oh I remember, a shag-hair rug. What I was going to ask is why did I decide to take this stuff in a room with a shag hair rug? Rugs, especially ornately patterned ones, are often rewarding to look at when tripping. Rugs made of thousands of tightly woven wool strands are not good to look at on Diphenhydramine. I'll put some Miles Davis on and smoke some more weed.

God my MSN buddy has signed off. A virtual 'trip sitter' would have come in handy.

The smoke is pretty harsh. I'm definitely entering a more hallucinogenic phase than I was before. Also typing has become hard. And I'm feeling glad that I didn't go any higher than the dose I did.

Oh, thank fuck. That was my cat coming at me. Petting the cat mellows me out a bit.

Uh oh, spoke too soon. Now the keyboards more of arthropod than polymer. And I'm finding hard to type. Did I mention that? Lord I can see Homer Simpson dancing about on the word processor window. Dancing to Prince. And he doesn't seem too happy about it.

So for me I'd say stick to around the 200 mark and smoke more weed. And benzos would also be very handy.

The best part of this experience comes before the hallucinations, around an hour of feeling very stoned and enjoying listening to music. After that the worry of seeing something unpleasant makes you very paranoid.

I'd suggest 100mg and weed. I mean, if the best bit is the first hour, surely not all of the diphenydramine (ugh! Had to look at my keyboard to write that) will have been 'metabolised' or whatever. Question of rate of absorption I guess.

T- T1hr 40

It's turned into quite a vicious ride, and I hope it mellows out soon. I really shouldn't have taken so many.
*deep breaths*
Just remember it's just shadows making your current perception of anything unpleasant. It's not real, not real... Christ I'm even thining of getting my mum out of bed to give me some diazepam. Yeah, this isn't all that fun anymore. Also absolutely parched but don't dare get a drink.

One noticeable aspect of the high is the feeling of a 'presence' lurking everywhere. The fact that there's no easy way to control whether or not it'll be nice or nasty is the drug's obvious weakness.

Nice report, i definitely wouldve lost it on that combo. I know that feeling of a presence to, as stupid as it sounds, you can't ignore the possibility. Is there much enjoyment on this by it self or do you need valium to kill the anxiety, paranoia?

I've tried it several times on its own when I've had no other drugs to hand. It can be enjoyable in an odd sort of way.... But then I find it enjoyable just to know there's something psychoactive in my system. Personally I enjoyed talking to imaginary people, but maybe that's just me. I found that doses above 250mg are likely to produce more delerious hallucinations, which can either be really unenjoyable (i.e. spiders everywhere), or pretty good fun.