• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(St. John's Wort/2g) Unexp + (Effexor XR 150mg) Very Exp - Quite intense!

Polluted_Mind

Bluelighter
A couple of points before I begin:

1. As far as I know taking this combination of substances is potentially dangerous and one risks serotonin syndrome. I guess this is why on the St. John's Wort bottle it warns on the back not to take with prescription anti-depressants.
2. Some people may not believe this report as the effects were at times quite strong, but I can assure you the following is 100% true.

8.00PM: It all started when I was tidying my room and found a random 150mg Effexor tablet on the floor. I used to take the stuff a long time ago but didn't like the side effects so threw it all out (or so I thought). I was feeling a bit blue so with out thinking twice just swallowed it, I know SNRIs take quite a few doses over weeks to work properly, but just did it anyway.

8.30PM: After that I went to a local Japanese restaurant to get takeaway, and while walking back I noticed I was extremely hungry and that I hadn't eaten for at least 30 hours (you know when you're so hungry it feels like you're nauseous) and couldn't wait to get home to devour the food. But, when I did sit down ready to tuck in something strange happened, I suddenly realized I was no longer hungry in the slightest. In fact I struggled to eat even one small spoonful of rice. This confused me as how can you go that long without food and yet still struggle to eat, and why the sudden change?? :?

9.00PM: Having given up on the idea of successfully eating dinner, I had nothing to do so decided to play a massive game of Europa Universalis 3 online. After a few hours of playing I gradually realized that my mood was skyrocketing, I was just randomly smiling, finding stupid things overly funny, and genuinely just feeling great. This alone wouldn't be too weird, but it was the body sensations that started to creep in that really made me take notice. You know when you're on the tail-end of a good roll, and you get those really nice shivers down the spine, and everything feeling physically great, and every breath just seems so smooth? It was identical to that. That really "giddy" feeling you get on ecstasy.

Immediately I started thinking: why the hell do I feel so high? Did I take something today and forget about it? And then I realized, I had been taking St. John's Wort for the past 3 days, and then I remembered I had randomly taken that Effexor pill I found. So it all started to make sense why I was having such a strong serotonin rush.

I went over to my mirror and sure enough, pupils the size of dinner plates, and that typical "gacked" look. I started getting really strong jaw clenches, which was OK though as those just like everything else felt good.

Feeling incredible, but a bit taken aback by this sudden turn of events, I decided to lay down on my bed and just take stock of the situation. While doing this I remember thinking just how incredible the very act of breathing felt, and how soft the sheets were. I closed my eyes and these beautiful images flashed onto the backs of my eyelids, like a dove emblazoned in golden sunshine.

1:00AM Still high, body extremely tense, but enjoying myself just messing around online.

5:00AM OK I would really like to get to sleep now, but when I try to my body keeps on moving about, and to my mind sleep seems a million miles away. Extreme body tenseness is becoming annoying, so I try to stretch. Part of me wants the high to continue, the other half just wants sleep.

1:00PM Jaws still clenching, look in the mirror, pupils still huge, in fact the largest they have yet been. As I sit down to type this a wave of buzzing euphoria hits me. I can't believe it hasn't died down at all yet!!

CONCLUSION: I have no idea why this is occurring. My only guess is that I've accidentally pushed my serotonin to the max, as I had no intention of taking these two substances together. The effects have totally taken me by surprise, especially the intensity and duration. Anyone else have any thoughts as to what's happening here?? The only thing I can compare it to is the latter-effects of a medium-strength ecstasy pill; I'm not talking about those mammoth rushes that make you wanna dance, but rather the ones you get later on towards the very end of the night when you're sitting back thinking about how sweet everything feels.

Even though I've had zero sleep I want to go out and enjoy the sunny day, but people would definitely be wondering why someone is chewing their face off with massive pupils on a Sunday afternoon.

(I'm still very much high, wtf??) 8( Eve getting eye wobbles. Body tenseness still there. Swallowing saliva feels nice ....

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_effexor
substancecode_venlafaxine
substancecode_antidepressants
substancecode_pharms
substancecode_hypericumperforatum
substancecode_ethnobotanicals
_combo_
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
How much St. John's wort have you been taking daily? It could have to with some sort of serotonin rush I suppose? I personally was on antidepressants for awhile but like you said that takes awhile for your body to adjust but maybe had some reaction since you have been previously on st.johns wort like you had mentioned...I don't know what else could explain it...weird!

SJW itself may be an herbal SSRI, based on the scientific research, but it has way fewer side effects than most SSRIs. There is less research to point to the effects of combining it with an actual known SSRI though, so I would proceed cautiously. In most herbalist circles they recommend against it. SJW also has some serotonin producing qualities like 5-htp so in addition to having some SSRI effects, it also may increase serotonin levels in the brain.

So basically... you are effectively doing two SSRIs plus a serotonin releasing agent.

How much St. John's wort have you been taking daily?

2g daily. It says on the bottle there is approximately 1mg of hypericin in each 2g dose.

SJW also has some serotonin producing qualities like 5-htp so in addition to having some SSRI effects, it also may increase serotonin levels in the brain.

So basically... you are effectively doing two SSRIs plus a serotonin releasing agent.

Yeah I didn't deliberately take the two together, but rather was just carelessness and forgetfulness. What you said here though could be why I got the strange rush serotonin buzz from it. It's not something I would want to do again though as the body tenseness and restlessness got really annoying.

Having said that I believe that maybe it was mainly the St. John's Wort that was responsible as I found this in a trip report (although I wouldn't really call it a trip per se) from Erowid: "As far as mood and openness with this plant goes, I would liken it to a very mild dose of MDMA. I've heard that it doesn't work this effectively with all people." That's strange because it's basically how I would describe what I experienced.

Very noticeable results from something I picked up at the supplement section of the local super-market. Certainly much stronger than any other SSRI/SNRI I've ever taken (which barely did anything noticeable). But like the Erowid poster pointed out, this doesn't seem to be the case with all people who try it.

Another contributing factor may be that in the couple of months prior I had been taking 5-htp every day, but stopped it a couple of days before starting the SJW as didn't want to cause problems. So maybe I unintentionally "pre-loaded" myself by doing this.

PS: I should just add that I took some more SJW earlier today (same dose) but without anything else and although I no longer have the serotonin rush effects like described above anymore my mood is still very high. I seriously can't remember the last time I felt this confident, positive, not anxious, and overall happy with my position. Nothing else has changed in my life so it's clearly the SJW that's doing it. I sort of wish I had discovered this stuff long ago. :)

My only concern though is that the positive effects will go away over time. Like with 5-htp, when I first started using it I experienced some anxiolytic and anti-depressant effects, but after only a few days it went away. The human body has an amazing ability to become normalized and desensitized to any psychoactive substance.

Looking back I'm not surprised that I got such significant results from taking two SSRIs + serotonin releasing agent + 5-htp pre-loading.

PS: I should just add that I took some more SJW earlier today (same dose) but without anything else and although I no longer have the serotonin rush effects like described above anymore my mood is still very high. I seriously can't remember the last time I felt this confident, positive, not anxious, and overall happy with my position. Nothing else has changed in my life so it's clearly the SJW that's doing it. I sort of wish I had discovered this stuff long ago. :)

My only concern though is that the positive effects will go away over time. Like with 5-htp, when I first started using it I experienced some anxiolytic and anti-depressant effects, but after only a few days it went away. The human body has an amazing ability to become normalized and desensitized to any psychoactive substance.

Looking back I'm not surprised that I got such significant results from taking two SSRIs + serotonin releasing agent + 5-htp pre-loading.

St. Johns wort is a crappy Natural Antidepressant no offense. Read my Trip Report on Kanna "Sceleium tortuosum" A herb which has 10-20 the antidepressant potential of St.Johns wort. Kanna is also a lot more potent than 5 HTP I would call it natures XTC. It has amazing antidepressant and anxiolytic effects for an Herbal compound effects are felt through the next day. Also I would say the Human body does not get desensitized to Kanna rather one could even experience reverse Tolerance.
Word

Read my Trip Report on Kanna "Sceleium tortuosum" A herb which has 10-20 the antidepressant potential of St.Johns wort. Kanna is also a lot more potent than 5 HTP I would call it natures XTC. It has amazing antidepressant and anxiolytic effects for an Herbal compound effects are felt through the next day. Also I would say the Human body does not get desensitized to Kanna rather one could even experience reverse Tolerance.
Word

Sounds good, I will definitely try it out if the SJW stops working. Other reports of kanna online seem to be very impressive as well.

Sounds good, I will definitely try it out if the SJW stops working. Other reports of kanna online seem to be very impressive as well.

I recommend that for maximum anxiety relief you go with an oral dosage of 1 to max 3 grams Orally. You can smoke it, chew it, dissolve it sublingually and snort it effects do come on but short lived rather for an hour or two. When taken Orally effects last 5-8 hours with Kanna the antidepressant effects. The next day though your mood is better even if you have not resorted to Kanna.

How is kanna effect your serotontin receptors long term or if you want to take MDMA?

Long term Kanna has no negative effects on Serotonin receptors. Kanna Sceletium Tortousum is a remarkably safe
compound so no long term effects on Serotonin receptors shall be noted. I took Kanna with Amphetamine Sulphate it had no effect on the high rather made the high better as it got rid of the anxiety and jitters and paranoia that can be associated with speed. I took Kanna with Methylone and Mephedrone as well not much synergy noted, perhaps those compounds overpowered Kanna positive vibe noted.
With MDMA the day you want to drop MDMA that day I would recommend you not take Kanna all the other days go ahead and consume Kanna.

I took Kanna today dosing twice Remarkable compound and I would consider Kanna to be a sort of Natures MDMA or Natures Antidepressant it is very effective. Although only Moderate-Mild effects yet still noticeable and it has an afterglow too. Today I took 1 gram in the morning around 11.30 Am I noted a stimulatory effect and I noticed that shyness and social anxiety dropped and talking to people felt easy. I also felt rather calm and not stuck in my thoughts. I sometimes feel stuck in my thoughts such that I always have something on my mind either positive or negative,anxious. But with Kanna my mind goes rather blank its pleasant. Lights outside seemed increased as well like the Sunlight seems very strong. At 1 gram it is a stimulatory effect and an Anxiolytic.
Then later on During the day I took a high dosage of around 2-3 grams a high dosages you will feel that it kills your anxiety dramatically > But you will also feel apathetic that you wont care about anything and it seems to decrease cravings at high dosages for other substances such as speed. At this dosage it also acts as a stimulant shortly and then the effects become rather sedating both physically and mentally you will want to lay down and rest, once you awake the antidepressant effect is still with you there. Kanna feels so natural though you are high or intoxicated on something and you feel happy but its so natural hard to explain. Not the type of happiness one receives from Speed or synthetic compounds but the type of happiness that exists naturally within you Kanna causes this to spring out.

All I can say is that if you buy Good Kanna not bs you will note effects . The Kanna i take comes straight from South Africa the real deal. I notice effects immediately not much tolerance is built to the effects on a day to day basis. But within the same day if you took 1 gram in the morning later on during the day you should take a higher dosage. As it has a tolerance effect in the same day. It causes a change in mood the same day you take it, Pharmaceutical structure it is related to other Antidepressants and such but effects should be immediate it is a lot more POTENT than 5 HTP and St.johns wort I would say 10-100 times more potent.

All I can say is that if you buy Good Kanna not bs you will note effects . The Kanna i take comes straight from South Africa the real deal. I notice effects immediately not much tolerance is built to the effects on a day to day basis. But within the same day if you took 1 gram in the morning later on during the day you should take a higher dosage. As it has a tolerance effect in the same day. It causes a change in mood the same day you take it, Pharmaceutical structure it is related to other Antidepressants and such but effects should be immediate it is a lot more POTENT than 5 HTP and St.johns wort I would say 10-100 times more potent.

Kanna Sceleium tortousum its potency is close to that of the Antidepressant Imipramine if anything it even exceeds its effects.

I ordered a small amount of kanna from a reputable vendor who I will share if possible, as I am new here. It's effects were really wonderful for anxiety and depression. I have just reordered a larger amount and then read that it interacts negatively with anti depressants.
My problem is that I have been steered into the pharmaceutical route by my family situation and because I am a veteran I am going thru the VA, which is a nightmare of an organization.

3 weeks ago for anxiety I was prescribed Xanax, 1 mg twice per day, and 3 days ago, Remeron and Effexor, both of which I had been on for 15 years earlier in my life when I knew nothing of alternatives.
I understand now that kanna should not be taken with SSRI drugs, and I assume the Effexor, which is a SNRI drug is close enough so that I should not take kanna with the Effexor. Remeron is something I will not do long term anyway, as it puts on weight like nothing else out there, so I will definitely stop that soon.

I really am seeking advice on how to proceed here; my goal is to replace the pharmaceuticals with kanna. In my situation this seems risky, but I feel it is the right thing to do.

If I lived alone, I would just switch to kanna only, which I only recently learned was so effective for anxiety and depression.

But since I have this family pressure to go the pharmaceutical route, since I have already had 3 days of the Remeron and Effexor, I could go through the motions of taking these and simply start the kanna. The Xanax I would have to wean myself off of slowly I understand.

My question is, is it dangerous to take the kanna at the same time with the anti depressants if it would be avoidable? Or must they be strictly kept separate?

I could honestly use some input as how to proceed with this issue.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated....any questions, please ask.

Thank you so much.