• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Kanna (Sceletium tortuosum) - Retrospective - Great Therapeutic value & Medical Value

aguythatlikessmoke

Bluelighter
Kanna (Sceletium tortuosum) - Retrospective - Great Therapeutic value & Medical Value

Last time I did a trip report I didn't get too many comments or replies. Nonetheless I do not care. I feel it is my obligation as a human and as a member of society to report on this Herb which I believe to have vast potential in Anxiety states mild to moderate depression stress and tension.

To start my dosage was 2-3 grams orally, you must take it orally. Empty or full stomach it doesn't matter though if your stomach is empty effects come on faster 5-15 minutes. I took this dosage around 10 in the morning.

I can't tell you the experience phase to phase but I will note the effects.
+ 30 minutes: One feels relaxed not to preoccupied with your tensions or problems if you run into people conversations flow very easily Shyness and Social Anxiety is reduced.
+45 minutes: Kanna is amazing not only does it relax your mind it relaxes your body at this state you will notice mild to moderate muscles relaxation and you will notice tension escaping your body not just mentally but physically. As stated earlier your conversations will flow easier, Social Anxiety is reduced.

+ 1 hour: Kanna will cause the lights outside to appear brighter , it seems to have very small Hallucinogenic effects such as that lights appear brighter the world takes on a different form and the sun light is strong, you will notice the trees and nature and you will notice the sun rays shining through. I am not suprised though as Kanna effects the Serotonin receptors it will have slight effects , note slight similiarities to Psilocybin( without tripping) and MDMA.
Apprecation of Music at this state can also be increased.

+1.15 to 1.45 hours: Mild to Moderate Mental stimulation is noted a different type though hard to explain it is not similiar to Amphetamines or Caffeine. One more note around this time I consumed Caffeine and Phentermine (small doses) . I feel essentially at peace. I am very carefree as well. No Social Anxiety is noted. Conversations flow very easily with people. I feel no shyness though whilst talking to people I feel intoxicated yet at the same time I feel intact hard to explain. Its amazing because at this state I feel very carefree, my thoughts that are flowing are very positive thoughts. Not only those it have all the effects produced above it causes a change in thought pattern. Towards the positive. Empathy slight noticed as well.

+2-4 hours: You will feel happy, a more Natural happiness. You will smile a lot, some people may think you have smoked pot . You will have the urge to converse with people, you won't feel as stimulated. A Moderate Antidepressant effect is noted. You will still feel careless in the sense that the anxiety is removed and you will a positive feeling about the world, and you will feel good Not high. Euphoria maybe a mild to Moderate Euphoria. I love Kanna its not bs like St.johns wort or some of the other herbs. Kanna and Kava Kava have moderate Anxiolitic Activity.

+5-8 hours: Effects start to dwindle now instead of feeling Stimulated you will feel a sedation you might even take a 5-20 minute nap with vivid dreams. Your mind feels heavy in a good way, your thoughts don't race you will feel sedated slightly sluggish, you dont feel overstimulated or panicked as an anxious individual would. excellent effect for the Anxious individual. No more Euphoria, No more talkativity, Social Anxiety is still low or absent.

"Main points you feel positive, good, Your feelings of well being increase. Mild Moderate Euphoria is present.Mild Empathy is noted. Anxiety is reduced at a moderate level. Depressions is decreased at a Moderate level. It works as Serotonin reuptake inhibitor A Natural one, Possibly one of the most potent its effect surpass that of the original Antidepressant Imipramine others think its Antidepressant activity is comparable to that of Lexapro. It also works as PDE-4 Inhibitor.
PDE4 inhibitors have shown a wide range of therapeutic potential including treatment of:

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD)
Asthma
Depression
Alzheimer's[2]
Parkinson's[3]

Some have also shown benefits such as antipsychotic effects,[4][5] improved long term memory,[6] increased wakefulness[7] and increased neuroprotection.[8][9] Because PDE4 breaks down cAMP in immune cells, PDE4 is also involved in regulating Inflammation.[10]

Other effects I should. Powerful synergistic effects with the following compounds: Caffeine, Nicotine, Cannabis, Possibly Amphetamine.
With Caffeine you will just note that the effects of caffeine increase 2-3 fold without too much increase of peripheral side effects such that you won't notice increase surge of Anxiety.
It causes the effect of smoking a cigarette to be amplified.

When combined with Cannabis you should do as I did. Take the Kanna orally without Food only water , wait for one hour for the Kanna effects to Hit you. Once you notice that the Kanna took effect take a few hits of Marijuana, Good Synergy no Paranoia will be felt it will be a good high as Anxiety is nonexistent whilst the effects of Cannabis are amplified including the Euphoria.

one more thing I wanted to note that as you take the Kanna you may notice in the first hour that you feel more awake a little nauseous maybe a little dizzy you might even feel hott and sweat. This is good as it indicates the Alkaloids in the Herb are active and Potent, so Some physical side effects can be noted nothing major though.

And for some people Kanna doesn't work. I think it should work I will give you my explanation. First off you need to buy the Kanna off a good vendor or from an Individual who knows how to properly produce it, so that it is legitimate.
Second off For me Nasally did absolutely nothing, Smoking it had an effect short one of 30 minutes. Oral produced the most effects that where predominantly noticeable, Also don't expect to get high unless you take high dosages above 4 grams which you could also feel nauseous from . Depending on the route of usage it will effect the duration of action Its duration of action according to the US patent for Orally should be 5-8 hours. Different People could have different effects Individuality, as in all Psychoactive substances, on me the effects where phenomenal.

Its not meant to be used as Intoxicant aka to get high its an Antidepressant that has had thousands of years of Usage with the indigenous people in Africa. For example the warriors would return from war and they would feel fear and depression then they took Kanna to dispel those feelings.

The US patent for Mesembrine http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6288104.html it can be found online there are betters one read it and gain knowledge.

Thank you bluelight Community,

I did this specifically for anybody seeking relief from anxiety, depression tension stress in a more natural manner.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_sceletiumtortuosum
substancecode_ethnobotanicals
explevel_experienced
explevel_retrospective
exptype_positive
roacode_oral
roacode_sublingual
roacode_nasal

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this info on a somewhat obscure entheogen. If you don't mind, how did you take it orally? Was it capped, plain powder, tea of some kind...? I am curious because I am considering trying it but I dont know how exactly to take it orally.

I bought 25 Grams of powdered material, Plain powder . I took it with a spoon it doesn't taste as bad as Kratom per say. It tastes average. I can also buy vegetable capsules and fill them with the Kanna Powder, I did this as well. The important thing to know is that Your vendor should be legitimate because for me Kanna works. It should work for most as well. The main active compound in Kanna is Mesembrine it is a potent Naturally occurring SSRI in fact it is superior to the Antidepressant Imipramine. There are other Alkaloids as well what there effect is that is unknown. Kanna is a PDE-4 Inhibitor as well. With Kanna one can experience Reverse Tolerance. I recommend to use it daily as the effects build up similiar to Pharmaceutical Antidepressants it Is a potent Natural Anxiolitic and it produces this Anxyiolysis similiarly to Antidepressants its not as intense as Xanax per say. It works I can guarantee you that. It also has empathetic effects. I would consider it excellent treatment for Moderate Anxiety and Moderate Depression and Mild forms. Orally it can be active in as low as .5 g I recommend an Oral Dosage of 2-3 grams Upper limit 3 grams . Higher dosages can produce Euphoria and Intoxication. It has synergistic activity with many compounds and it is stimulating Initially and Sedating later on.
I would recommend not to mix with Antidepressants Life threatening SSRI syndrome.

This Year I figured out about both Kratom and Kanna. Herbal Psychoactive drugs are vast and there are so many out there. Fascinating compounds.
I would say Kanna as opposed to Kratom has advantages first off there is absolutely no risk of addiction. Infact I think those that suffer from Stimulant addiction or Cannabis addiction even Alcohol Addiction Kanna could be an Alternative, or ease withdrawal, or cravings.
Second there is no nausea or sickness associated with Kanna. There is also no hangover that occurs the next day.
Infact Kanna is interesting in the fact that sometimes you can even experience an afterglow the following day. I would compare to a weaker afterglow version of Shrooms. It uplifts your mood. It also has a Synergy with exercise so if your anxious take some Kanna and take a jog, run or walk. Synergistic-ally this can reduce Anxiety.

I noted all of these effects on me. My Vendor for Kanna was excellent. My vendor for Kratom is excellent as well. I had a lot of good experiences with both Kratom and Kanna. One thing to note is that I experienced no negative effect from Kanna from Kratom I had a few negative effects noted. They are two different classes of Compounds of course, but you can compare them nonetheless.

Kratom is addictive but I would consider it mild to moderate very comparable to Cannabis Addiction. The negative effects of Kratom is that intially the first few hours you will get anxiety and depression relief and you will euphoric and good and you can even fall asleep and sleep good. But the next day once you awaken you will feel a hangover, nauseous and sedated with some mild depression and anxiety a sort of hangover. And if you take large doses of Kratom to achieve a good high sometimes it doesn't work out cause you get too sedated or you will puke. This is noted on me. There are a lot of positives to Kratom.

Positives of Kratom are pain relief, Immunostimulation, A good treatment for diarrhea, Better treatment for insomnia than sleeping pills, Stress reduction, Relaxation, Euphoria, Opioid like high, stimulation,
Kratoms effects are stronger than that of Kanna but in a shorter duration 2-3 hours with lingering effects. I take Bali Kratom and Maeng Da Kratom seems so that the sedative effects tend to linger way longer after the initial high.

Kanna the Oral high lasts 5-8 hours even according to the US patent on Mesembrine. That is how long anxiolysis should be reported. You should note that the first 1-3 hours effects are the strongest after that they wind down, though effects can be reported up to the 5-8 hour mark. Afterglow was noted by me. Improved mood, motivation etc. into the next day along with reduced anxiety levels. Appetite Supression is noted as well I think Kanna could be used as a safe weight loss supplement. I would say after an Oral Dosage Appetite Supression is noted for up to 5 hours with me. High dosages do cause inebriation intoxication. It has an amazing synergy with Alcohol though be wary you will get drunk a lot faster and the stimulative and sedating effects of alcohol are increased its like the two compounds combined. It has a good synergy with Cannabis takes away the anxiety sometimes can lead into a psychedelic experience when combined with Cannabis.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiltoniano View Post
Thank you for this info on a somewhat obscure entheogen. If you don't mind, how did you take it orally? Was it capped, plain powder, tea of some kind...? I am curious because I am considering trying it but I dont know how exactly to take it orally.

I took it as a plain powder, herbal powder It should be a brownish moderate brown colour Herbal looking substance . I buy my Kanna at a headshop or smartshop in the city where I live, price is rather high around 30 Dollars for 25 grams. Usually I would eat it with a spoon doesn't taste nasty like Kratom and then wash it down with water. It dissolves in water once I dissolved a gram or two in my water bottle and drank that , worked out well . Another time I took the powder and encapsulated into Vegetable capsules later on swallowed them effects where noted as well. Remember that I encapsulated them myself. After Oral consumption if your stomach is empty effects are noted upon 5-15 minutes including anxiety reduction.
I am thankful for this herb it works great for moderate anxiety and depression seems like its a God sent. It is 10 to 1000 times superior to St.johns wort. It's not like St.johns wort where you eat it and then you even wonder if something happened and nothing happens . With Kanna you take the Kanna you will feel the effects most certain I took it the first time and I noticed the effects immediately. One more note I should tell if for example today you take 1 gram in the morning oral the effects last a few hours then later on( same day) if you dose with only just 1 gram again the effects will be of lesser intensity or not noticeable. So if you dose with 1 gram in the morning for you to notice the same effects or stronger effects in the afternoon or the evening time you will have to dose with 2-3 grams most certain at these times . For example you take 1 gram at 8 in the morning the effects last till 12 at noon. Now you want to take Kanna again well if you take 1 gram at Noon nothing will happen you will have to dose with 2-3 grams to notice a similar effect or stronger effect . After sleeping this tolerance effect is disintegrated. Tommorrow if you take 1 gram at 8 in the morning same effects will be noted. So on this experiment I conducted one can note that in the same day of repeated usage Tolerance builds rapidly to the effects of Kanna( same day) this tolerance is abolished into the next day after a night of sleep. On this evidence I am 100 percent certain that Kanna effects the Serotonin receptors in the brain, I will give you the explanation as to why now it shares similarities to magical mushrooms you may ask how???
Well with shrooms if you trip today with 1-2 grams and then you trip tommorrow again with the same amount your trip will be none noticeable or of lesser intensity you will need to use a higher dosage to experience the effects of the initial trip or you will need to take a one day leap. The only difference is that Kanna does not build a tolerance day to day but Kanna effects built a tolerance within the same day( repeated dosages) . With Kanna on a Day to Day basis you may experience Reverse Tolerance.
Another similarity to Shrooms is that it has the empathy shrooms produce but to a much lesser degree. It also shares a similiar Euphoria to Shrooms but again to a much lesser degree. It is not a hallucinogenic herb. It is entheogen as you stated. A familiarity Kanna shares to MDMA and Shrooms is that it also can produce an afterglow similiar to Magical mushrooms for example if I dosed a lot one day( Kanna) during the course of the day 3-6 grams the next day I do not notice a high but I have an afterglow. The world appears brighter, I notice the trees, I notice the sun rays hitting the earth I notice how bright the Sun. I feel more at peace and tranquil and I notice zero absolutely zero social anxiety conversations with every single person flow easily . I feel carefree and I feel happy.
This is the Kanna afterglow as best as I could explain it.
Its actually similar to a Mushroom afterglow except Mushrooms afterglows you will notice that sometimes your senses are still hypersensitive. With Kanna you notice slight sense hypersensitive for example the trees appear more beautiful the Sun rays are noticeable but with the emotional afterglow of Kanna you will feel more carefree than with a mushroom afterglow. Serotonin Receptors most certain proves all of this- as Serotonin deals with Senses, Emotions, Appetite, Happiness etc.
Kanna is Natures MDMA. Natures Powerful Antidepressant.
I tripped 5 times this year on Magical mushrooms but this was a few months ago. Magical mushrooms could have had a long lasting positive effect on my Serotonin receptors and perhaps the Kanna is bringing these qualities out again. Because as I stated earlier Kanna effects the Serotonin Receptors and Kanna has a synergy with a lot of compounds and it brings the better qualities out of the compounds most of the time, be wary of Alcohol and Kanna its kind of like mixing Pharmaceutical Antidepressants and Alcohol.

I consider Kanna a good treatment for Amphetamine Comedown and Withdrawal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had horrible experiences with Kanna, albeit in a concentrated extracted form as the whole plant did nothing for me. With a good extract it is active at 100 mg sublingually and 500'mg a clear overdose. Racing heart, huge pupils, terrible anxiety, sweaty, the shakes, and nausea. Never again, a horrible experience, mesembrine is no joke. Clear SSRI overdose! Use responsibily. And of course, paramount, YMMV.

I've had horrible experiences with Kanna, albeit in a concentrated extracted form as the whole plant did nothing for me. With a good extract it is active at 100 mg sublingually and 500'mg a clear overdose. Racing heart, huge pupils, terrible anxiety, sweaty, the shakes, and nausea. Never again, a horrible experience, mesembrine is no joke. Clear SSRI overdose! Use responsibily. And of course, paramount, YMMV.

why is your user name related to a dopamine agonist agent? nice though. I never used extract only brown powder form

Update. I want some more people on bluelight to be included in this thread in Regards to the herb and succelent known as Kanna "sceletium tortuosum'
New effect experience back in the day I would only use on Oral dosage of kanna.Oral dosage for the effect to be good one needs to use a dosage of 2-3 g orally. Although depending on the individual the substance can be active in as low as 1 g orally.
I snort Uppers sometimes such as Amphetamine and I was like maybe I should give it a shoot with Kanna and heck I did( Back in the day I abstained from snorting cause i did it once with little effect this was on a Kanna extract) .Today I snorted Regular Kanna powder, no extract just the herb F''' ya.
I did a line of 50 mg.
Effects come on Rapildy. Narcotic, Sedating, Euphoric, Stimulating at the same tme. I am listening to music and I am lost in the music appreciation of music is increased dramatically. Muscle relaxation, tingling sensation , tingling relaxation is over my legs and my stomach seems that my gut and my muscles feel heavy and relaxed. Body is sedated and mind is active and relaxed at a state of sedation, stimulation I am feeling a good well being effect and I am feeling excited.
Most amazing thing about snorting effects come on rapidly doses should be small. I note body relaxation and muscle relaxation my gut is twisting and turning and my body feels heavy. Musical appreciation is increased being on the computer and switching songs on youtube I could do that for the next hour or two and be content.
Any Input?

Kanna is a mild to moderate herb. Seems you can smoke, snort, eat it, chew it, sublingually dissolution. Many routes of administration> I would consider Kanna natures XTC or Natures powerful Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor. It works as XTC cause I noticed it causes a release of Serotonin and I can feel my appreciation of music increase I also feel empathy another interesting note when I dose with Kanna frequently and in consecutive days I notice that it works as libido booster I would always be in the mood for sex and masturbation. Although it boosts mood and relieves tension, stress and interpersonal bull shi '''/
This is noted as well. And it has a killer combination with alcohol and also with Cannabis.
A beer starts to hit you faster than Jack daniels whiskey and you get a good drunk effect.
Kanna natures unknown intoxicant.

I even combined Kanna with Amphetamine sh'''' is awesome no jitteriness, no anxiety on Amphetamines, No paranoia. You will just head to the club and dance in the same spot for Hours on in. Seems to get rid of those nasty side effects of Amphetamines. Although it works like an SSRI and could cause serotonin syndrome nothing happened when I combined with Amphetamines only positive effects where noted. ANother note Kanna has an effect on your senses lights, music and such things get perceived better and appear stronger whilst under the influence of Kanna.

Initially Kanna is stimulating or neutral later on Effects become Sedating, useful for Insomnia as well. If you want to treat Insomnia and High levels of Anxiety use large Oral dosage of Kanna around 3 grams.

bought some recently smoked and snorted really nice stuff goes well with Kratom and pretty much most highs :)

Thanks a lot, that was really informative, and interesting to hear that Kanna can help with anxiety and COPD, both of which I unfortunately have.

Extremely interesting. In a lot of ways it sounds like the effects are very much like Phenibut but as it is SSRI in nature, I?m very concerned that it?d have sexual side effects. I?m intrigued.

I have always gotten an uncomfortable and anxiogenic reaction from kanna for some reason. It's a shame because I hear a lot of really glowing reports, too.

I tried kanna 200:1 extract yesterday first kanna trial ever.
Surrpisingly strong amd interesting drug. 150mg was actually a bit too much put a few hours and I felt somewhat nauseous and just more affected than I was able to enjoy but I did have cannabis edibles at the same time as the days although I wasn't able to handle much vaporizer like usual.

After a few hours it settled down and I had the most magnificent and enjoyable clear-headed and totally relaxed high where am I cannabis effects were greatly enhanced not just in terms of intensity but sharpness and emjoyabaility.

And I could see what people mean by the MDMA like comment as well. Quite different to kratom and how clear-headed it was.