• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread v. The Suck of the Irish

the best thing that happened this weekend was UT losing to Vandy and Dooley getting shitcanned yesterday.

Dave Hart's list of potential candidates:

http://outkickthecoverage.com/dave-harts-ut-coaching-list.php

1. Jon Gruden
I've been talking about this for months. NFL people are now starting to realize how real the possibility is that Gruden will be the next Vols coach. Dave Hart will make Gruden say no.
Gruden remains the top Vol target.
2. Jimbo Fisher
For whatever reason Jimbo Fisher is not happy at Florida State.
He's allowing his name to be shopped for potential openings at both Tennessee and Auburn.
Is Jimbo realizing that recruiting to Florida State and the ACC is just going to become too hard given the present and continuing rise of the SEC? Or is he just angling for a raise? Who knows? But he's in play.
3. Charlie Strong
Bona fide success as an SEC assistant coach and bona fide success as a head coach now.
4. Al Golden
With significant probation at Miami, continuing fan apathy, and a toughening ACC competitive advantage, could now be the time for Golden to jump?
He's truly in play.
5. Gary Patterson
Tennessee could have hired him over Lane Kiffin, but passed because Mike Hamilton considered him too similar to Phil Fulmer.
Since that time Patterson's teams have flourished at TCU.
Meanwhile, Phil Fulmer's era seems downright outstanding now.
Could the Vols pry him away from Texas?
I think so.
6. Dan Mullen
The only SEC coach on Dave Hart's list, Mullen is doing about as well as anyone can do in Starkville.
He's got experience and knows the league.
What could Dan Mullen do at a top-tier SEC job?
There's a belief that he could do very, very well.
I think one of these six men will be your next Tennessee football coach.
Hart's so-called tier two candidate:
7. David Cutcliffe
This is the floor. (And I don't mean that in a negative way).
Cutcliffe wouldn't be exciting, but he's a Tennessee guy and he'd win.
I don't think there's anyway the job falls to him, but lots of y'all have asked me what's the proverbial floor in the coaching search.
It's Cutcliffe.
I would be downright stunned if your next Tennessee football coach isn't one of these seven.
And, no matter what, just be glad you're not an Arkansas fan.

images.jpg

what the hell is the tomfoolery? excited to tell CS that his team has moved to South Carolina, along with the University of Miami moving to Georgia.

excited to see that KState and Oregon got the beat down, was very exciting. Also Les Miles' rant. What the hell is that shit? I've got the best coach in all of college football.

If the Vols were smart they would be making a beeline for Stanford DC Derek Mason
Apart from the shootout V Arizona his defense has been nothing short of outstanding in every game this season.

If the Vols were smart they would be making a beeline for Stanford DC Derek Mason
Apart from the shootout V Arizona his defense has been nothing short of outstanding in every game this season.

ahhh....he's a fellow Northern AZ University alum. But he is 100% a west coast guy. Not sure if that'd be a good choice.

I think Dan Mullen would be my top choice if I was an AD at Tenn or Auburn. What he has done at Miss State is pretty impressive.

and i'm still pulling for gruden. word on the street is peyton manning is laying it on thick to gruden.

gruden-kidnap3.gif

i'd be really surprised if Gruden went to Tenn considering he can pretty much hand pick a job in the NFL

also fuck John Gruden the Eagles could have won that super bowl against the raiders. and fuck ronde barber

if it were my team, i'd rather have dan mullen than jimbo.
let me guess

cause he has hardcore football experience coaching in the nfl

errrr.... SEC

i respect the sec fans around here for their passion but don't respect them for their overall blindness and ignorance regarding any college football that isn't the sec

very very rare for a coach to quit a team and coach for a team in the same conference the very next year
no names come to mind

my list for tennesee coaches:
gene chizeck
jeff tedford
derek dooley
magino+his waist line
norvelle turner
mike singletary
petrino
lane kiffin or his sister if he has one

seriously, there are lots of good names already mentioned but i'd go with:
mike riley
oregon state, besides standford is the only few pac 12 teams to play defense, pretty well, vs potent offenses
he's been there for awhile now, he's go to be getting burnt out
already has experiance rocking the orange and has coached in the nfl

the only problem is being head coach at tenn is nowhere near as prestigious as it was 10, 5 or even 3 years ago

bring in kent state coach as a coordinator?
that young african american coach will coaching a bcs school next year

possibilities:
cal
kentucky

Last edited:
CR, the UT job is still a big time job. They just upgraded all their facilities, have top notch talent and will be back in the mix as contenders in the next 3 years. We'll land a big name. Dave Hart is done fucking around and he has total buy in from the boosters to throw a dick load of money at a bad ass. I can't wait for us to murder/rape Saban's cornbole and go back to dominating the state of Georgia for recruits like the fulmer days.

Miami Herald said:
The NCAA has delivered a new and disturbing ultimatum to numerous former University of Miami football players: Either talk to us or we’ll believe Nevin Shapiro’s claims against you.

The NCAA last week mailed a letter to former players that allegedly committed NCAA violations by accepting gifts from Shapiro, including dinners, prostitutes, trips to nightclubs, cash and other perks. Shapiro told the NCAA that 114 players committed violations; Yahoo previously identified 72 of them.

Only players who were playing college football at the time the investigation was launched are required to speak to the NCAA. Thirteen current or former UM football players did so in 2011. So the players who were sent the letter last week are no longer playing college football; some are in the NFL.

The letter, which I obtained, gives the players a Friday deadline to speak to the NCAA. What’s surprising is that the NCAA states in the letter that it will conclude the players committed violations if they do not respond.

UM officials were privately hopeful that many of the allegations made against players who left UM several years ago cannot be corroborated. Unless the NCAA is bluffing, it appears it might take Shapiro’s word on these claims unless the players refute them.

In recent days, several players and their attorneys have been trying to decide whether to speak to the NCAA. Even Tuesday, one said he's not sure what he will do. So it’s unclear how many players will speak to the NCAA.

Here’s how the letter to one player attorney reads:

"The purpose of this letter is to apprise you that the NCAA enforcement staff is requesting to schedule an interview with your clients regarding their knowledge of or involvement in possible NCAA violations concerning the University of Miami, Florida, football program.

"Interviewing your clients is important in order for the enforcement staff to conduct a thorough investigation, and both the staff and the institution request you and your clients’ cooperation in this matter. However, at this time, all attempts to schedule and execute interviews with [blank] have been unsuccessful. As a result, this letter serves as a formal and final request by the NCAA enforcement staff for interviews with [blank] to be completed by Nov. 23, 2012.

“If we do not hear back from you or your clients by that time, the staff will consider the non-response as your client’s admission of involvement in NCAA violations. You may contact me at [blank] in order to arrange this interview. Your assistance in this matter is appreciated.”

Sincerely,

Molly Richman,

Assistant Director of Enforcement

### My opinion: Regardless of whether it's bluffing or not, the NCAA - by sending this letter to former players - is being heavy-handed and manipulative. Considering the NCAA has no jurisdiction over former players, it's offensive that it would threaten to believe a convicted felon without additional corroboration. A felon, for that matter, who's in jail for a crime involving lying (a Ponzi scheme).

CHATTER

### Keep this in mind: Shapiro claims player violations started in 2002, but the NCAA’s four-year statue of limitations doesn’t apply when there’s a longstanding pattern of willful violations that continues into the past four years. The NCAA previously told UM that it will consider invoking that “willful violators” clause.

### Though several high-ranking UM officials believed UM should play in a bowl game if it won the ACC Coastal, a UM official said the school went with the advice of outside attorney Mike Glazier, who thought it would mitigate future penalties but was given no assurance that UM would not have any more bowl bans. Though Penn State got a four-year bowl ban this year for the Jerry Sandusky tragedy, no school has had a recruiting-related three-year bowl ban since Oklahoma State (1989-91).

One upshot, a UM official said, is self-imposing lessens the chances of prematurely losing seniors- and juniors-to-be, who could transfer and play elsewhere immediately, if UM gets a one- or two-year bowl ban, respectively.

### Some former players are upset about UM’s self-imposed bowl ban --- “These players don’t deserve it and Miami could be punishing themselves for no reason!” Olivier Vernon told me --- but current players “were told to watch what we say,” Brandon McGee said. That's one reason why you haven't heard any current Canes voice displeasure.

### Seniors McGee and Mike James are expected to be drafted, and UM hopes a few juniors (including Seantrel Henderson and Curtis Porter) don't turn pro, too. UM lost five early entrants to the NFL last year, but Al Golden said Tuesday: "There's a stronger relationship with a lot of these young men [now].... A lot of guys understand from last year, perhaps guys would have gone higher if they had stayed. We want to make sure they have the facts, not just leaning on one side."

### Golden, on his WQAM radio show Tuesday night: "The thing people don't understand and accept is I want to be here for a really long time."

That shit is fucked up right there. Class A extortion.

I can't wait for us to murder/rape Saban's cornbole and go back to dominating the state of Georgia for recruits like the fulmer days.
i really hope so man

i've said it before, UT is definitely one of the only SEC teams i pull for, mainly due to their underachieving performance over the past 10 years

once they become 'bama good i'll start to hate them

always gonna hate the best team in the SEC

if axl is still alive i hop he is at least somewhat happy and healthy