Rate the song above you: Music that isn't entirely electronic

^ It's definitely not a song I would call "bad", but there's nothing especially interesting there for me. I don't like using the word 'generic' when describing bands because I think its a bit of a cop-out term and completely dismissive of what the band does well, but I'm having a hard time finding a better word. I like the melodic interplay of the guitar and vocals, but I don't find the singer's delivery or lyrics to be anything impressive. 5/10

It's joyous, youthful , solemn and full of acceptance and hope...its' a story in music-love it. ;)
9/10

edit: all apologies, i'm an idiot... to be honest, i only made it about 8 minutes in. the oriental sound is beautiful. just doesn't seem to have any... substance? to it 3/10

pay no attention to the video...

Last edited:
^ That's not how you play - you gotta provide a rating and a brief synopsis of the song posted before you.

This song is very much East-meets-West - Western melodic sensibility with Eastern instrumentation. On one hand it kinda feels like a bastardization of two very different styles of music, but at the same time it kinda works for me. 6.5/10

My problem with this song: it's clearly a Jim James composition. This song sounds like it belongs on MMJ's "Z" album and as a result, the Ward and Oberst verses sound weird to me. On the whole, I wasn't really impressed with the whole Monsters of Folk experiment (I tried pretty hard to like it, too) - it feels more like Jim James and Friends rather than an equal collaboration amongst the different members. If JJ was the only person singing, I'd probably rate the song higher, but for me it's a 5.5/10

Not my usual cup of tea, enjoyed it for the most part though it's a bit too happy go lucky for me :| 6/10.

sober: 5/10 dxm: 8/10
I like porcupine tree quite a bit but not one of my favorites of theirs.

Nice little brakdown at 2:50.
Gotta say, went into that one thinking, "UH....prolly not gonna like this."
Hippie Jam band? But wth "try it anyways" I'm open.

SO: man ...hard to decide. I guess a 9 and 1/2 is a compromise between 9 and 10.
The chorus kinda threw me at first. Sounded cliche, but, it's actually kinda clever.
I liked it. The lyrics sound cheese, at first, but...they have a meaning underneath.
And, the band themselves were awesome...

Wow, a long rating. Sorry! Can't sleep worth shit now...so...

Okay, just heard this and wanted to share it. It hit me...but rmv.

Mr. Jones has something to say, so...get a q-tip, do some work, and prepare...%) + the drums.

P.S. I'm not braggin'^^ just bringing the message....brought to me...

Last edited:
Heh. I have to say that is the standard reaction to that band. I went in wanting to hate them too, but sometimes you just have to forget your preconceptions and accept it right? Im glad you liked it.

The Tom Jones song... its bold, distinctive, clear... My only gripe is obviously it gets a little repetitive. And I like the first one better, the tone if his voice is just better and I think it suits the song more than the womans version. Second version sounds like a drunk kareoke version of the first, tbh. Just counting the first half, then, a solid 8/10 I think though that might go up or down a point based on my mood.

Last edited:
^ 7.5 out of 10. upbeat and fresh sounding. i like the tone of the singer's voice.

the pogues feat. kirsty maccoll - fairytale of new york

r.i.p.

alasdair