• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Phenobarbital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegslenaarthes

Bluelighter
Today I become a man and learn about Phenobarbital.

Could you please point me in the right direction, as I am new here and would probably end up starting new threads and stuff like that.

Ta Muchly

x

come to think of it, i could do with that.

http://youtu.be/bOXvqkC3W4M

Last edited by a moderator:
Homeless --> Basic Drug Discussion.

Phenobarbital isn't very recreational...if that's what you're implying. Its a very very long acting barbiturate (we're talking multiple-day long half lives).

Do not mix it with alcohol or other depressants.

Do you know about google?

In response to below: About something as obscure as phenobarbital doubtful. And even so never had that problem and even soo just find a reputable source. Better than wasting everyone's time. Wikipedia is rarely off and gives sources. Bet there have been at least five threads about this.

Last edited:
yeah i heard about google, they are really going places with those fancy new glasses aren't they 8)

thanks neighborhoodthreat, i'm just trying to find out as much as i can from people who know what they're doing. there are plenty of morons who would happily corrupt the fruitful yield of a well worded google search

sorry, Everyone. i did explain in my original post that i was looking to be pointed in the right direction so i wouldnt have to start new threads that might either be straight forward to cover or already exist.

apologies to above, from below. nice to meet you too. thats the warm welcome of blue light for me. just wasting everyones time asking questions like where i can learn more about something new to me

Last edited by a moderator:
Phenobarbital had very little recreational or therapeutic value in my experience, and this was before i had a high Benzodiazepine tolerance, i took 300mg over the course of around 3-6 hours if my memory serves me right.

It didn't help with my Anxiety at all nor did i feel any sedation or Euphoria, also as the recreational dose and lethal dose are quite close i didn't try to increase my dose nor did i ever try it or any other Barbiturate again due to the danger associated with Barbiturates.

my brain is saying no but curiosity keeps poking at me. i'm not going to pretend i'm anything like a scientist because all my experiences with drugs so far have either been haphazardly worked out through trial and error or led by other, more experienced friends. i didn't really want to take that risk with barbiturates so thought it would be better to ask people who know what they are doing.

i'm guessing then it would be pointless to try and get an interaction from this with something else? sorry for the very naive, rudimentary knowledge that i have. if only i had come by some oxy or something, would be much simpler (and more fun by now)

thanks for the heads up :)

Your thread isn't as bad as many out there, courtesy of barbiturates hardly being in use anymore.

Do not mix with any other "downer" type drugs. Barbiturates have a very low safety profile, meaning the dose required to get effects is not far off from that which would kill you. Two downers taken together is already risky, and its most hazardous to take a barbiturate and another downer.

Please at least make sure you know what this potent drug does to you before taking it with another.

my brain is saying no but curiosity keeps poking at me. i'm not going to pretend i'm anything like a scientist because all my experiences with drugs so far have either been haphazardly worked out through trial and error or led by other, more experienced friends. i didn't really want to take that risk with barbiturates so thought it would be better to ask people who know what they are doing.

i'm guessing then it would be pointless to try and get an interaction from this with something else? sorry for the very naive, rudimentary knowledge that i have. if only i had come by some oxy or something, would be much simpler (and more fun by now)

thanks for the heads up :)
I was exactly the same, i just tried it out of curiosity as so many people talked about how great Barbiturates are/were, yet i think Phenobarbitol is one of less recreational Barbs out there anyway and Barbs are not particularly common (Not here in the U.K anyway) And as i and other posters have mentioned they have a low safety profile, Benzos are not a good path to go down but i think there effects are about as similar to Barbs than most other drugs that are readily available nowadays as far as i know... They are also not so so easy do overdose on, although overdose can be a real danger none the less, especially in this with little or no tolerance and especially if mixed with other (CNS) Central Nervous System depressants (Downers) Benzos, Barbs, Opiates, Alcohol etc.

Just be careful if you do get hold of any Barbiturates, because not only did curiosity kill the cat, it also killed a lot of humans aswell.

Stay safe. ;)

Nothing is particularly common in the UK for me.

Why is it that to enjoy some of this recreational freedom we must first pay for it with misery? That critical mass of misery that makes the doctor put down the nhs manual on drug seeking behaviour and look at you as a person?

I suppose that would be another topic for discussion. Thank you both for your advice, it puts a good firm hand of realism on all the scientifical bollocks that curiosities of this nature spew out from the internet.

Please at least make sure you know what this potent drug does to you before taking it with another.
^^ i've still got "that would be me on the news if i knew them lot" mentality. prohibitionist withdrawal symptoms.

Phenobarbital has no recreational value. Its a very weak barb - nothing llike pentobarbital or secobarbital.

I have a prescription of 120 60mg Phenobarbital sitting in my cabinet that I haven't touched in two years. The high (if thats what you call it) is horrible. I was prescribed Seconal in the late 1970's for anxiety.That was a great drug tho I suffered withdrawing from them. Try Pheno if you want just don't mix with any other substance especially alcohol.

^ U got Seconal for anxiety? Holy shit!! In the 70's benzos had totally dominated the market and you would've been lucky to even get Seconal for severe insomnia. 99% of anxiety cases were treated with Valium by the 1970's. Even before that in the 60's, Seconal was strictly an hypnotic for sleep. They had other things for anxiety at the time, most notably chlordiazepoxide or a light-weight barb.

Yes, it was from 1978 to about 1981 I was prescribed the 30mg (?) I think. They had 100mg for insomnia. This is back in the days in south florida when they were running a lot of "sleep clinics" prescribing loads of Quaalude, Seconal and Tuinal. The sleep clinics didn't last the '80s but the pain clinics started up and had a pretty good run in FL

Yeah, probably 50mg it's been a while back. But I coulda sworn there was a 1/4 grain (?) Seconal that was close to 30mg. I dunno could be mistaking this for another drug.

I'm not exactly sure myself, so you may be right. But I know for sure that Seconal came in 50 and 100 mg caps. Maybe there were other formulations...but I just haven't heard of them.

Yes, I found the info in a 1973 PDR. Seconal Sodium Pulvules #318 1/2 grain 32mg, #243 3/4 grain 50mg and #240 1 1/2 grain 100mg. Lilly Company. It's been years since I thought about reds.I forgot a lot of docs still referred to reds in grains back then. Brings back some good memories and bad memories. Ha!

Phenobarbital is the best barb for anxiety, for me at least.

Does pretty much the same thing as amobarbital for me but without the hangover.

Amobarbital hangover is a bitch, but phenobarbital hangover - there is none.
I think phenobarbital is actually better than amobarbital for anxiety, amobarbital is no better than phenobarbital for sleep either, both are good hypnotics, amobarbital 150mg = phenobarbital 200mg...but maybe that's just me. Some people will claim amobarbital is much better than phenobarbital...my guess is they were addicted to the short acting barbs like secobarbital and of course amobarbital will feel better than phenobarbital if you've been taking the hardcore barbs too frequently.

I know people who have been prescribed phenobarbital for anxiety, epilepsy (this is mostly what phenobarbital is prescribed for these days though it's used much more rarely now as there are much safer and better drugs for that purpose) as well as for benzodiazepine and alcohol withdrawal. Just about everyone i know who has taken has said the same thing which is that it's not recreational. It works good for the purposes it's prescribed for but in terms of recreational use most people say it's not even as good as benzos.

However i certainly wouldn't call it weak and like all barbiturates it is still dangerous and mixing it with any other depressant especially opiates or even worse alcohol is asking for a overdose. Unlike benzodiazepines there is not anti-dote for a OD either and taking too much phenobarbital can easily kill you. Benzos have largely replaced barbs because they have a very high LD 50 (you would choke on the pills first before most benzos would kill you) and they perform most of the same functions just as well.

I'm Not much for downs but much prefer barbs to benzos.Dislike the way benzos feel and affect my mind and body. Barbiturates more or less feel no different than alcohol without various aspects of drunkenness removed. As has been said though, a great deal more dangerous. Not easy to come by in this day in age either. But best shit around bar none for a situation where fear could hinder you (bear in mind slowed reaction time, coordination, balance, and certainly judgement impairment is a heavy price to pay, maybe theres reasons to be scared and the better option is courage and sharpness)

Back in the day these went hand in hand with uppers, whether combined in the same goofball or stacking seperate amphetamine and barb pills. Had been known to make some violence prone, as in escalation, such as a petty stickup man shoots the clerk for no reason type of thing, not so much PCP,bath salt sort of craziness. Couple different theories on that result of the combo, but as I said barbs are extremely liquorish, could be a mean drunk personality coming out on a speed freak looking to smooth out a run with the wrong depressant...?

Pheno was thke first drug I ever took. Purchased in school from an epileptic. All I've seen or had since is Fiorinol off ex's script for migraines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.