• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Just completed rapid opiate detox. Still feeling awful. help?

Deathly

Greenlighter
Earlier this week I forked over <a lot of money> buck for a rapid opiate detox clinic. I was using around 1200mgs of oxy a day as well as lots of Heroin and whatever kept me from being sick. The clinic doctor was pretty impressed with my dosage, but told me the "clinic record" was 3500 mgs per day of oxy. Wow!. So anyways the doctor gave me 40x30mg roxis to get through the night and then I was sent to a hotel where I would be picked up the next day (Wednesday) for the procedure. The procedure was a nightmare, I had a horrible hallucination/nightmare under anesthesia and woke up in bed shitting myself and puking everywhere. I was told I was supposed to wake up in about "week 3" of detox. What I went through was 10x worse than any withdrawal ive been through. And now more than 72 hours later i still feel awful even though i have been prescribed a wide array of meds like valium, clonidine, gabapentin, soma, halcion, naltrexone etc... for the pain.

My question is has anyone else done this procedure? When will the hell end, I am very disappointed with the procedure.

In my opinion the doctors don't tailor the procedure to the depth of the patients habit. For instance my room-mate who was on 100mg of vicodin perday (pussy!) jumped out of bed and said how well he felt within 12 hours of the procedure.

Any ideas on alternative medicines, amino acids, anything to get me feeling back to normal, i feel like i just wasted 10 grand.

thanks alot

Last edited by a moderator:
A) Calling your roomie a "pussy" for taking less than you and being smarter is pretty lame.

B) What do you mean you were suppose to wake up three WEEKS after?? That along with being given 40 of the same pills you were abusing to "get through the night (12 hours)" seems like a pretty made up fable. However it could be that i misunderstood what you were saying in which if that is the case apologies.

I'M off course joking, my room-mate was an awesome guy the point i was making is that we were givin the same procedure despite his tolerance being about 1/20th that of mine.

- And the doctors claimed that the procedure accelerated WD so that when I woke up it would SEEM LIKE week 3 or 4 of cold turkey, the reason they gave me 1200mgs was a surprise to me but it was to keep me comfortable until the procedure. I believe this is protocol at all Rapid detox centres

You expect me to believe you got 40 Roxi 30's AND sent to a hotel by a DETOX CENTER?

ARE YOU SHITTING ME??

I used to work at a NON-Medical Detox Center, and have been partying for a decade, as have my friends. There is just so much wrong with your story, I'm not gonna get started. Furthermore, you should take it down, you are going to convince a nieve 16 year old that if he cops a wicked dope habit, hes gonna get roxis for detox. That's a rotten thing to do yo...

No offense, but you just wasted 10 grand.

Part of it is that "rapid detox" centers don't actually perform any magic voodoo. They just pump you full of meds that put you into withdrawal and anesthetise you for a while so the misery is just a vague blur.

Once you get out it's really no different than if you had just kicked the shit cold turkey. Sorry dude.

A big part of rehabilitation is shifting your focus from "what drugs/supplements should I take" to "what should I change in my lifestyle". Try setting up an excercise regimen, and eating well - it will help get your body back into shape.

To all those people saying "I don't believe you that a treatment center would give you opiates prior to treatment", there are doctors who will do such things just to stop people from going totally insane before the actual detox happens. If I spent close to 10 grand on detox I sure as hell would want to be treated nicely, not treated like shit and then forced into w/d prematurely.

You expect me to believe you got 40 Roxi 30's AND sent to a hotel by a DETOX CENTER?

ARE YOU SHITTING ME??

I used to work at a NON-Medical Detox Center, and have been partying for a decade, as have my friends. There is just so much wrong with your story, I'm not gonna get started. Furthermore, you should take it down, you are going to convince a nieve 16 year old that if he cops a wicked dope habit, hes gonna get roxis for detox. That's a rotten thing to do yo...

Not 100% true. I have been prescribed highly addictive drugs of all different kinds at a detox place before, including morphine, all kinds of benzos, etc. I was even able to get a methadone taper done at a detox along with just about everything other the sun for comfort as well, was stabilized on morphine until I could start.

OP, you kind of just wasted close to 10k. I know the allure of rapid detox can seem inviting to people especially those with a huge habit, but I think that in those instances it's either to best taper down yourself (you could've used that 10k to get a bunch of shit and lock yourself in a hotel suite with a hooker feeding you an OC 80 every few hours if you wanted to, shit!) before you start withdrawing. These rapid things never work out, everyone I know who has gone through it has felt like shit afterward. Are you still using naltrexone or another antagonist? Sadly the only thing that'll really make you feel better will be more opiates :(

If you seriously spent that much money on some shitty rapid detox clinic then you really should have done your research. I don't even have a grand to my name for treatment, let alone eight grand, but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't donate that money to some rapid detox crooks. Basically you just went through a regular detox but were given loads of drugs and pumped full of anesthetics. You really should have put that money towards actual rehab as rapid detox is a complete scam at that price. The main difference between paying less than $100 a day for regular detox and EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS for a few days of rapid detox is that you were given more drugs and put under anesthesia, that seems to be about it to me. Talk about wasting all of your money.

Theres no question that at times people will use morphine controlled and monitored by a doc up until the detx starts. But no way in hell do they send you to the MGM Grand with 1200 mgs of oxycodone to get through the long horrible 8 hours of night. Thats around 150 mgs an hour, or 10 roxies every 2 hours.
Id love to see whoever filled that script.

"Take 10 tablets by mouth every 2 hours as needed to treat sickness brought on by recreational opiate addiction."

The only way to make it so that you didn't just waste $8700 is to not use at all. All that rapid detox does is cause you to skip the first day or two before the withdrawals peak, by inducing the withdrawals right away so that they peak during the procedure. So basically you should (and seem to be) feeling like day 3 or 4 of withdrawals on day 1, and then you go on from there.

Even regular 3-5 day detoxes aren't that effective since it's not enough time to get your body back to normal. That is why longer tapers (3 months, etc...) are better, since you can begin to make the lifestyle changes before you are sick, so that by the time you get off of the drugs, a) it's not as harsh since you slowly tapered and b) you are in a better place to handle the withdrawals since you aren't living like an addict still.

With rapid detoxes though you are very vulnerable to relapse while in withdrawal since nothing has really changed in your life between the time you went in and the time you got out. Basically you are in the same shitty place, which makes it easy to try to escape by getting high again.

I would like this thread to be a lesson to all of the people that I have seen saying that they are considering taking suboxone while on another opiate in hopes of getting the withdrawals over with quicker. As seen with the OP, it doesn't really work like that, although it might speed it up by a few days. It's not worth it though, so if you can't handle kicking cold turkey then taper to the point of being able to stop without having to deal with that bad of a withdrawal.

Sorry bud, but there is not a magic cure to kick addiction, especially opiate addiction when you are physically dependent. There are no tricks, or gimmicks, magic pills, or miracle cures that can make you better in a short period of time. Especially at your level of abuse (which I find difficult to believe).

The best way, is to get the opiates out of your system (tapering helps some people, others would rather just go cold turkey), eat 3 square meals a day, exercise, rest (but don't lay around all day 8-10 hours a day is good), and focus your energy on things not related to getting high. Like reading, writing, drawing, more exercising, hobbies, work around the house, actual paid work, and hanging/visiting with friends (non-drug using) and family.

IT takes a lot of time and effort to get back to normal after being a dope fiend, its no walk in the park and you gotta take it one day at a time my friend. Many people can't even do it on their own, and need rehab, detox, 12 steps, aa, na, out-patient, in patient or some other type of help. Good luck to you!

Pretty much everyone I have talked to who has done this "rapid detox" has said it was horrible and didn't work. They are told they will just be put to sleep and will wake up feeling fine and have no withdrawal symptoms at all. In reality, all it does is force you into precipitated withdrawals and anesthetize you through the first part of it (and that's if the anesthetic actually works properly and the person doesn't die or have a terrible reaction). People still have acute withdrawal symptoms when they wake up, plus side-effects of the procedure, and post-acute withdrawal symptoms.

It might work ok for people who have very small or short-term habits, but all I've heard from the average serious addict is horror stories.

Sorry that you had to go through this. I really hope you are able to stay clean. The meds you have should help, make sure to gradually taper off them. Check out the opioid withdrawal threads on here for tips on how to deal with your physical symptoms, make sure you eat healthy, drink lots of water and get lots of rest while you recover from the procedure, and do things to work on your mental addiction such as meetings, therapy, self-help books, etc.

The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

Thanks for the helpful replies, for those of you who doubt I was given 1200 mgs for the 24 break between my appointment and procedure, I can assure you its true. I wasnt written a prescription however, the clinic was able to dispense them, infact I still have the bottle of roxis that say for "clinical use".

But thats not the damn point anyway. Today Im feeling quite a bit better, thanks to those who actually had constructive or even negative feedback, rather than call me a liar.

Post a quick pic of that bottle, would love to be wrong. Dont gta put ur name/address in the pic.
Glad ur felling better

Sure. Here is the pic of the bottle I just took, you can also see the mark on my hand from the IV for the procedure. The bottle says 15mg, but i guess it was the only empty bottle they could part with. It was filled with 40x30 mg roxis.

067ht.jpg

If you still don't believe me, call any of these detox centres and ask what they do for people who do not have legit prescriptions or are flying in or crossing boarders to do treatment. It is only a 24 hour period and they want you to be comfortable if youre spending 9 grand or more.

In hindsight, I shouldve lied and said i had a 5000mg a day habit so I could sell some and get some of my money back for the procedure :)

Sure. Here is the pic of the bottle I just took, you can also see the mark on my hand from the IV for the procedure. The bottle says 15mg, but i guess it was the only empty bottle they could part with. It was filled with 40x30 mg roxis.

067ht.jpg

If you still don't believe me, call any of these detox centres and ask what they do for people who do not have legit prescriptions or are flying in or crossing boarders to do treatment. It is only a 24 hour period and they want you to be comfortable if youre spending 9 grand or more.

In hindsight, I shouldve lied and said i had a 5000mg a day habit so I could sell some and get some of my money back for the procedure :)

Not to sound like a total asshole, but if you would have spent even 10 seconds doing some of your own research, a quick google search of 'rapid detox' would have turned up results which would steer ANYONE considering the procedure away. People with 1/8th your tolerance/dependency report bad results... How often have you heard the expression "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is" I mean come on. Do you really think you should reach a level of usage so massive any walk away 24 hours later scot-free?

For instance my room-mate who was on 100mg of vicodin perday (pussy!)

Also you sound like a total prick dicksizing with your friend.

I guess I'm in the minoity, but rapid detox, if u got the money, sounds fine to me. (Heck if u can burn 10k w/out any worries, why not use it to avoid some pain, especially if the fear of that pain is preventing u from getting sober)

That's not important tho, for you OP, to get some more helpful answers, can u give us details about what ur w/d symptoms are like right now? Sure it sucks u paid money and didn't get 100 percebt w/d symptom free as promosed, but what is it that u'd like to get from ur post? Are u looking to figure out how to stay sober, how to get rid of ur w/d, etc..?

W/out knowing too much, I'd stick to the meds u were given and wait it out. Naloxone seems to be helpful to some buu I have no experience myself. And def stay away from any opiods: loperamide, Bupe, tramadol, codeine, kratom, etc... Those would all be very counter productive.

GooDluck!

I did rapid detox when i was 21 years old about 5 years ago and it was the worst experience in the world. I stayed clean for 3 months after it and i felt like shit the whole time i finally just gace up i couldnt take it anymore and i wasnt getting any better. I did it in another country which just the procedure cost me $13,000 then the hotel for 2 weeks and evreything the whole thing cost me close to $20,000 the biggest waste of money and it did not work for shit going thru regular w/d's woulda been alot better

When I went to this certain neurologist she said I take too many narcotics. She didn't notice the hunched over appearance or limp or my elevated v/s. I told her I was hurting bad and some days my meds don't work for the pain and I want to find out what's causing the pain. I was not asking her for medications and I made that clear.

She said stop taking them. You can do a rapid 3 day detox which is easier or just decrease your dose till you are at zero.
I said what about my pain? I'm hurting all the time! She said I could take Advil.

She gave me 2 MRI's and found evidence that I was no faking it and quickly dismissed them.

She said I might have fibromyalgia. And gave me Cymbalta samples. That was a nightmare.

Needless to say I never saw her again.

I took the same reports to another dr and it showed more damage than she said. I was very pissed.

Im still taking my meds and still suffer break through pain, I guess that's what you call it.

I am glad I did not try the 3 day rapid detox. It sounds scary to me.

I know a handful of people that have gone through that procedure and every one of them has said the exact thing that you did. I agree with sekio, you just wasted ten grand.