• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Caffeine and L-Theanine Synergy, Ideal Ratio?

ErgicMergic

Bluelighter
Has anyone used caffeine and l-theanine as supplements together as a nootropic combo to increase short-term memory retention over caffeine by itself?

I know green tea has a perfect ratio, but I can't be bothered to drink cups and cups of tea, I love to drink but it's time consuming to make and is not portable.

If so, what is your ideal ratios of caffeine:l-theanine?

I'm relatively sure that I saw a 2:1 ratio, with respects to L-theanine and caffeine, would be appropriate for enhancing short term memory. Personally, I have a bit of a tolerance going with caffeine due to my 3rd shift work hours, but I take about 300 mg L-theanine with 150 mg caffeine (a 13 oz coffee).

Great post about the effects. I've been taking L-theanine and caffeine (with no racetams) in a 2:1 ratio (400mg theanine, 200mg caffeine in 2 doses throughout the day) with very similar, "god-mode" like results. (http://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/comments/papbu/questions_about_racetams_and_ltheanine/)

funny you say that AJ because I have heard that most people use a 2:1 theanine to caffeine ratio to get increase mental vigelence and no stimulant from caffeine. Apparently the 2 parts theanine is enough to blunt the 1 part caffeine. (http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/18035-l-theanine-in-green-tea-bags/)

The combined effects of L-theanine and caffeine on cognitive performance and mood
Authors: Owen, Gail1; Parnell, Holly1; De Bruin, Eveline2; Rycroft, Jane1
Source: Nutritional Neuroscience, Volume 11, Number 4, August 2008 , pp. 193-198(6)

The aim of this study was to compare 50 mg caffeine, with and without 100 mg L-theanine, on cognition and mood in healthy volunteers. The effects of these treatments on word recognition, rapid visual information processing, critical flicker fusion threshold, attention switching and mood were compared to placebo in 27 participants. Performance was measured at baseline and again 60 min and 90 min after each treatment (separated by a 7-day washout). Caffeine improved subjective alertness at 60 min and accuracy on the attention-switching task at 90 min. The L-theanine and caffeine combination improved both speed and accuracy of performance of the attention-switching task at 60 min, and reduced susceptibility to distracting information in the memory task at both 60 min and 90 min. These results replicate previous evidence which suggests that L-theanine and caffeine in combination are beneficial for improving performance on cognitively demanding tasks.
(2:1 ratio utilized)

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the average tea drinker consumes about 20 mg of l-theanine a day from green tea, but that's hardly a suitable dosage. L-theanine simply stands as one of the most underutilized psychoactive compounds.