• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

is there anything u can take to potentiate codeine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uponbenzos

Ex-Bluelighter
has anyone actually had any success with potentiating codeine or is it basically a waste of time?
if anyone has had any success potentiating codeine with anything listed here or something else could u also list what's a good dose & if u take it before or after taking the codeine.
Is the drug u take with the codeine actually potentiating it or is it simply a combo?

grapefruit juice? (Ive heard u take this after u dose the codeine otherwise it slows the conversion to morphine)
doxylamine?
promethazine? (Ive read that this one makes codeine weaker?)
diphenhydramine?
quetiapine?
dextromethorphan?
benzos? (Do some benzos work better?)
taking more than the so called "ceiling dose" of 400mg? (It hasnt been proven that it stops converting to morphine at 400mg according to wikipedia and I havnt read anywhere about it stopping converting to C6G, another analgesic metabolite. So has anyone had any experiences with taking higher doses than 400mg?)
any other suggestions? (I've heard about milk thistle, proton pump inhibitors & antacids but doubt they would make a difference.)

Checkout the potentiation megathread..

I would use diphenhydramine, and later on after peak effects promethazine.

Benzodiazepines should not be combined with opiates due to risk of respiratory and general CNS depression, which means you stop breathing, which means you stop living.

Do not take quetiapine to potentiate codeine, that would totally ruin it, do you not agree?? That would ruin just about any high for me.

I would checkout the megathread that we have on this, one you would have found easily had you used the search function.

^^^he's right..all you could ever want to know..and then some other stuff, too. :)

worth the read.

token

You can only convert so much codeine to morphine at one time (and this varies from person to person, isn't fixed at 400mg) but they've since learned that a substantial amount of the effects are not from the conversion to morphine so the ceiling is less relevant than they used to believe. In the past they believed nearly all of the effects were derived from morphine but this isn't actually the case. At higher doses the side effects such as itchiness become more pronounced though and the proportionally the desired effects are reduced.

I always like combining sedating antihistamines with opioids and doxylamine is my preference. Taking an antacid 30 min or so prior to ingestion can be useful to in order to expedite the effects and possibly increase them.

Codeine potentiators:

CYP2D6 Inhbitors:
Bupropion (Wellbutrin anti-depressant, Zyban anti-smoking etc)
Chlorpheniramine (Tylenol Cold/Allergy, Coldral Nightime, etc. anti-histamine/allergy pill)
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl etc. anti-histamine/sedative)
Ranitidine (Zantac etc. antacid and anti-histamine)
Various other antihistamines
Many anti-depressants

Grapefruit is not actually a codeine potentiator. This confusion comes from the fact that it potentiates some other opioids, such as methadone, buprenorphine, fentanyl and tramadol.

Things that will make codeine lose effect more quickly:
Alcohol
St John's Wort
A number of prescription drugs

ETA: I guess I was slow typing this lol.

Last edited:
well I got myself 800mg of codeine. it's in the freezer now. I took 50mg of doxylamine 1/2 hr ago. & it's fucking sedative!
I can easily down 200mg of temazepam & i dunno which is more sedative. I had to make a strong cup of coffee.
ive got seroquel, doxylamine & promethazine in my cupboard.
tricomb: is there any reason why u take the promethazine AFTER the codeine?
btw i dont know why ppl bag seroquel so much. it isnt so bad. I take 200mg & dont sleep in or have a hangover or anything. it doesnt feel uncomfortable & it beats having insomnia. And it actually works unlike benzos which just make ya calm. It's good being so tired that u know ya gunna be asleep within 15 mins of laying down. It's just another antihistamine at 50mg so what makes it different to doxlylamine for example. Oh anyways I must be one of the weird ppl who think antipsychotics are ok.
swimmingdancer: I agree with the alcohol. I dont drink at all these days. Lately my DOC is oxycodone. no hangover. & ive never felt w/d from it like i did when i quit smoking
I think dxm would outweigh the effects. after all codeine is only subtle. I think it has a better "feel" than oxy but it's not as potent obviously.
ive heard different things about GFJ. Some ppl say. drink some after ya take the codeine. but i dont think it would really make a difference. I sometimes drink it with valium because it's a fact that it potentiates that stuff
oh I forgot. Ive got some milk thistle too which ive heard potentiates some drugs. I think it was some benzos. I'll have to google it again. I might just take one anyway cuz it's good for my health. I gotta go do some cwe'ing now. I might look into the milk thistle later
edit: I did a quick google on "codeine milk thistle"
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156105
I'll have a read on that after i go have some codeine

edit: it's an hr later & I feel more sedated & comfortable than I usually do when I dose Codeine. It's the first time I've mixed with with an antihistamine (doxylamine)
I'd like to know if the doxlyamine is actually potentiating the codeine or it's just the effect of mixing both together. I think doxylamine was a good choice. Ive had dph & promethazine before & ive found i preferred doxlyamine the best out of the 3. doxylamine doesnt make my head feel heavy like the other 2.
im still interested to know when the best time to take the antihistamine is. before or after the codeine as Im still interested to know why tricomb said to take promethazine after the codeine.

I might google codeine drug interactions

Last edited:
swimmingdancer: I agree with the alcohol. I dont drink at all these days. Lately my DOC is oxycodone. no hangover. & ive never felt w/d from it like i did when i quit smoking
I think dxm would outweigh the effects. after all codeine is only subtle. I think it has a better "feel" than oxy but it's not as potent obviously.
ive heard different things about GFJ. Some ppl say. drink some after ya take the codeine. but i dont think it would really make a difference. I sometimes drink it with valium because it's a fact that it potentiates that stuff
oh I forgot. Ive got some milk thistle too which ive heard potentiates some drugs. I think it was some benzos. I'll have to google it again. I might just take one anyway cuz it's good for my health. I gotta go do some cwe'ing now. I might look into the milk thistle later
edit: I did a quick google on "codeine milk thistle"
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156105
I'll have a read on that after i go have some codeine

I might google codeine drug interactions

I got my list from the Pharmacist's Letter so it's I think it's quite accurate and complete. I just listed the ones that were most easily obtainable or available OTC. If you want to know what every single drug interaction for codeine is then I can post the complete list if you like. Pharmacist's Letter says that Grapefruit juice is not known to potentiate codeine, for the reasons I explained above. The way potentiators work is by inhibiting the CYP2D6 enzyme which metabolizes codeine. Grapefruit juice does not inhibit this enzyme, it inhibits a different one that does not affect codeine (but does affect the other opioids I listed). I would say that anti-histamines are the best potentiators for codeine.

Promethazine doesn't cause Tardive Dyskinesia though.

There has been a few threads on this recently. Although we encourage people to start threads with new queries, we also encourage you to use the search engine.

www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/624850-dihydrocodeine-potinators
www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/609088-true-opiate-potentiatators
www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/619092-potentiation-of-drugs-from-milk-thistle
www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/605237-antihistamines-to-potentiate-opiates

Also read the opioid potentiation megathread in OD Tricomb linked you to.

Codeine metabolism is complex so messing about with enzyme inhibitors is not going to be of much benefit (and could reduce your high). It's uncertain how much of codeine's effects are due to morphine and how much to codeine-6-glucuronide (or other metabolites).

Closed, PM me with any queries.

Status
Not open for further replies.