• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Official 2012 NFL Thread v. All aboard the Kaepernick bandwagon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all have obviously never been tailgating at Ralph Wilson Stadium. That's one thing I guarantee we do better than anyone else.

Basically Id say any city that has high-to-sold out attendance every year, even if the team is bad, is a good sports city
define high-to-sold-out?

i took a stab at one simple metric. how would others define 'most supportive'? china rider, you made the claim - how do you measure it?

alasdair

Of course attendance is going to be low when a team isn't doing well. The only way that would be a fair metric to use would be if we compared teams with shitty droughts and their attendance. I doubt the Pats' attendance would be great if they hadn't been to the playoffs in 11 years.

They still managed to make the Playoffs the past two years. It'll keep the seats full.

^ how does one measure "the most supportive fan base in the league", out of interest? what does it mean in practice?

one metric would be attendance at home games. their average home attendance last season (62694) was 10k less than the capacity of the stadium (73097). that's 85.8% which places them 29th out of 32 in the league. pretty unimpressive.

overall (including road games) they drop to 30th so their fans don't travel either.

most supportive?

alasdair

so many times you will see the bills getting hammered, late in the game, late in the season

suddenly there is a touchdown and you notice strangers hugging strangers and stadium vibrations

their crowd seems to get more animated than any other team in the league

^ that's it?
Of course attendance is going to be low when a team isn't doing well. The only way that would be a fair metric to use would be if we compared teams with shitty droughts and their attendance. I doubt the Pats' attendance would be great if they hadn't been to the playoffs in 11 years.
i figured a team with the "most supportive" fans would have that support through thick and thin? only supporting your team when they're doing well doesn't seem like a factor in a supportive fan to me...

i'm going to file the bills having the most supportive fans along side the steelers having the best wr corp. in football in the "silly, baseless claims i've heard in s&t" file.

the redskins had a terrible season last season and their attendance is in the top 5. carolina and kansas city also had pretty bad seasons and they're top 10 teams. i guess their fans support them by, you know, going to games to support them :)

alasdair

who cares about attendance, considering a lot of those seats are probably given out thru corporate and occupied by people who really don't give a shit

despite their teams consistently being poor, most fans at browns and bills games seem to give a shit

the redskins had a terrible season last season and their attendance is in the top 5. carolina and kansas city also had pretty bad seasons and they're top 10 teams. i guess their fans support them by, you know, going to games to support them :)

alasdair

Because a bad season or two is the same as over a decade straight of bad seasons. 8)

^ how does one measure "the most supportive fan base in the league", out of interest? what does it mean in practice?

one metric would be attendance at home games....

I would go with how ingrained a team's brand name is into the popular culture, but not limited to a certain region, but the whole of the Nation... and isn't name-brand-recognition and the money that flows from it the main motivational factor for NFL Team Owners + Presidents?

there were a couple studies done for Nation-wide name-brand recognition, and of course that is a bit subjective, but of course those said studies usually have the Dallas Cowboys + the Pittsburgh Steelers in the top two spots. I guess "America's Team," and the battle for that title, and all that...

all I know is that I can go into any of the 50 beautiful States of America and find a Pittsburgh Steelers Bar not very far off the beaten path!! BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

^ thanks for the considered answer. i think you're definitely touching on what it means to be 'supportive' fans.
who cares about attendance
it's one of the most obvious, measurable manifestations of 'support'.
considering a lot of those seats are probably given out thru corporate and occupied by people who really don't give a shit
i thought 'their crowd seems to get more animated than any other team in the league'? now a lot of them don't give a shit? you're not making much sense. anyway, if that mess makes bills fans the most 'supportive' fans in football, they're welcome to them :)
Because a bad season or two is the same as over a decade straight of bad seasons. 8)
like i say, supportive fans would still be there after a decade of bad seasons...

alasdair

^ right. by league standards, 85% is a pretty low number.

what's your definition, tommyboy?

alasdair

it wasn't obvious from your response... maybe on rereading...

alasdair

a friend of mine said that Cleveland Browns fans were the best in the NFL

initially, I laughed him off. but he had a point in saying that the Browns fucking suck, and have fucking sucked for a long, long time

despite their team and their perpetual fucking sucking, Browns fans come out hard in regarding to attendance and brand-loyalty. this means something, imo...

(I think this is what CR was trying to say, before he started herp derpin ;))

^ Yea man. I was looking at their attendance numbers before when comparing Buffalo to other long-time shitty teams with multiple state teams, and the Browns attendance percentage was like 97% IIRC.

BTW, I know you posted a different video by this guy, but I thought you might like this video if you haven't seen it before.

^ right. by league standards, 85% is a pretty low number.

what's your definition, tommyboy?

alasdair

Yea but it's right in the middle when compared to other shitty teams (over 10% higher than Jacksonville, but over 10% lower than the Browns).

My definition? There's so many factors it's hard to say, but I doubt it's something you can accurately gauge. I guess I would say that the percentage of fans that can correctly answer trivia about their team is a good indicator of the quality of the fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.