• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids fastest opiate taper possible

fullycaffeinated

Bluelighter
Hi, I'm new to Bluelight and I need a little help coming up with a taper plan. I've had a daily habit for about a month now, it kind of started by accident. Usually I'm just a chipper but I had oral surgery to get my wisdom teeth removed and at the same time got all my pills for the month from a friend I buy off of. So I was in pain, I was getting prescriptions for percs and vics, but also supplementing with extra pills since I have a bit of a tolerance from chipping. I've only been through wds once before, and it wasn't awful for me, but I need to try to go through them discreetly this time because my husband and friends and family wouldn't be too happy with me if they found out I've been taking more pills than I was prescribed. At this point all I have access to is a few perc 10s and a script of 16 vics. I've been using anywhere from 30 to 150 mgs of whichever I can get a day. Mostly just percs and vics chewed up and taken orally, but also a few oxy op 40s and 80s and a few roxi 30s sniffed. What do you think the fastest taper I could do is. I'm willing to deal with a moderate amount of pain, just not too much as I will have to work and I manage a small restaurant. Also if there is anything that might get rid of the cold sweats, they are one of my main concerns as they are a dead giveaway to the hubby that I'm dope sick as opposed to just sick in general. Thanks for any help!

Do you have high/low blood pressure? I have high blood pressure. I'll have hot/cold fluctuations regularly. Getting on blood pressure meds might help. <3

Just use the hydrocodone/oxycodone tablets as needed, taper quickly, and you'll be off of it before you know it.

No I have perfectly normal blood pressure... So you're saying just eat like 1 Vic whenever I feel sick til I run out?

I think the fastest way to get through it, is to take a little as possible. Only take one of something if you absolutely need it. Perhaps start with the Perc 10's, taking one in the morning and another only when you reeeeally need it. Once you run out of those, start with the Vic's, again only when you absolutely need it. In my opinion, and experience, this is the fastest way to rid you're system of the substance. Going cold turkey is a bitch, tapering is you're best bet. Expect severe irritability though. The hardest part is going to be resisting the urge to take more. Remember, you're taking them not to feel high, but to not feel sick.

Thanks for the help guys... Does anyone have any advice on the sweats? I think I could probably get by on two or three vics except for that... Also does anyone know how long it will take my tolerance to drop back down? At the current moment it takes me 40mg to get any sort of buzz at all and probably 90 to really nod... Before this month it was more like 20 and 50 and about 6 months ago it was like 10 and 30...

OP, I find that for the sweats either Clonidine, a blood pressure medicine sometimes used for withdrawal, is excellent with regulating a normalish heart rate/body temperature.

If you cant get ahold of that, I find using GOLD BOND medicated powder or lotion to certain areas is a life saver.

Also, as a CPP myself, I've been taking small doses of DXM (OTC Cough medicine) with my pain medication helps tolerance from building too quickly. Otherwise the only way to LOWER your tolerance is to stop taking opiates for a significant amount of time (depending on how long you've been using)

There's no way I can get ahold of clondine :( and he mostly notices it when I'm sleeping.

And I've been taking pills regularly for a little over a year, with no daily use or tolerance increase until August when my friend got some 15s that we could snort without blowing APAP

I detoxed off a 150mg/a day Oxycodone habit. Was unable to take any substance, not even weed. I found the only thing that helped relieve my cold sweats, was soaking my feet in a bucket of hot water. I had to keep refilling the bucket every 10 to 15 minutes though. Believe me, it helps.

clonidine helps my sweats if u have access to that.

stay hydrated. itll make u less mizerable. and def have some loperamide around if u have to be working all day. hopefully only a months habit u should be able to pass the wd off as the flu

Thanks for all the help guys... If only I could get clonidine :/ but hopefully I can make it through without anyone getting too suspicious...

yeah. theyre easy to get if u go to the doc and say u have wd theyll prescribe em no problem as far as i have experienced. they also help wd anxiety which is a nice little side effect

its just a BP med also used in narcotic WD so its not like its addictive so physicians tend to not have many qualms about giving it to an addict.
just make sure u are ok with being red flagged by ur doc if u tell him ur an addict. marks u as an addict and drug seeker for all who ever treat u, and pharmacies [who give u shit about getting addictive meds like benzos from this point on, calling ur doc to confirm these scripts means if its after hours for ur doc they wont be givin em to u, and u will never get opi's prescribed if ur trying to work towards that... unless u have serious legitimate proven pain and still some of em are dicks about it....so it mayyy fuck some shit up for u in this sense, that is y i get em from friends]

I gotta try to avoid the red flags. I have fibromyalgia and I'd like to get opiates prescribed eventually. I'm also currently being prescribed Vicodin for a wisdom tooth extraction...

I detoxed off a 150mg/a day Oxycodone habit. Was unable to take any substance, not even weed. I found the only thing that helped relieve my cold sweats, was soaking my feet in a bucket of hot water. I had to keep refilling the bucket every 10 to 15 minutes though. Believe me, it helps.

This person has only been using for a month though..

I would personally go CT rather than draw it out by tapering..load up on some immodium, clonidine, benzos and it will make detox WAY more comfortable. But if you have extra opiates on hand I guess there is no reason to taper a little bit. Rather than a structured taper, I would cease use and only take a pill when withdrawals have become unbearable. And when you do take a pill, absolutely do not take enough to get high or it is counter productive. You want just enough to stave off withdrawals a little.. Not to maintain and feel dandy all day. Like every time you hit th epeak of withdrawals and are puking/whatever symptoms you exhibit, take a LITTLE oxycodone.. like 2.5mg, wait an hour and see if it has releived any symptoms.

IME its tough to taper wtih full agonists unless it is being dispensed to you. The compulsion to take a large enough dose to get high is overwhelming for me. With your level of use and more importantly that you have only used for 1 month, you are a prime candidate for an EXTREMELY quick detox. You can have that 3-5 day detox most of us convince our selves exist. Early on in your addiction/dependency that is a realistic time frame. Like in 5 days you will be actualyl feeling GOOD. in 10 days it will be like it never happened.. Remember you have only used 30 days. The longer you wait to detox the worse it will get. You will find your self in a while different ballpark if you use at that level for 90 days.. then before you know it it's been 6 months. Detox becomes so brutal and much more than a 3-5 day thing. PAWS anally rapes you hard as fuck. But you are in a great position to attack this head on.

Clonidine will absolutely not red flag you if you choose to get it. My bupe doctor said he presribed it for coke and nicotine withdrawal as well. But I mean its a blood pressure med as far as your insurance company knows.. they have no idea what off-label use your doc is prescribing for.

If you are worried about the red flag thing get clonidine prescribed for nicotine withdrawal. It is common. Clonidine will help your detox like crazy.. it does WONDERS for sweats and will let you get some sleep/releif from rls

Just an update... I've been trying like hell to do this, but... I ate all the percs to get high. They were too good. Last night I scored two roxi blues so I blew those and actually got the best high I have had in a while... Now I'm halfway through a bottle of wine trying to convince myself that I really do need the rest of these vics to taper? If I save them and just take them as needed will I really be able to avoid most of the wds? I can't stop thinking about getting high... It's crazy how fast this happens...

The hardest part is going to be resisting the urge to take more. Remember, you're taking them not to feel high, but to not feel sick.

So true. The problem with an efficient taper is that you don't know how much worse it could be, and instead focus on how much better it could be by taking more. A good taper can be so efficient that it spoils you!

Fullycaffeinated: If it's possible and practical, putting your taper supply into a pill box (you know the ones with AM/PM Mon - Tues - Wednesday...etc compartments) can help make the process more structured. You may be less likely to take more if you've set up the box with the minimum needed and made a firm decision to stick to it.

Of course it ultimately still comes down to your determination to be free of the addiction - nothing you can do about that. Good luck. Despite the set back it sounds like you've had (posted above), I still think you'll make it to where you want to be soon.

u cant stop thinking about getting high after a month of use. sounds like me when i started, couldnt believe how fast it all happened. if u wanna detox do it now. its only gonna get harder and harder and harder and harder etcetc. trust me. clonidine, immodium, and benzos like Swain said is the key for it. fuck the vicodin unless you wanna taper a little first. itll just keep u on the path ur on. if u dont wanna get red flagged, tell ur doc ur having panic attacks and u want something for them, maybe say u have seen a counselor and that this alone is not helping so they dont suggest that, and that u dont want antidepressant for anxiety cause they like to suggest that too, i told em i didnt wanna have to take something everyday just u kno, about once or twice a week when i have an attack. the doc should at least give u some lorazepam [ativan] even if its a low dose itll help.

Well I'm through the worst of it I can say at this point. Actually it wasn't too bad considering I had a similar habit for like 2 or 3 weeks once and had a worse time. I did an ok job tapering but I definitely could have done better... I was down to like 20mg/day when I jumped off. The one day I had really bad symptoms Imodium helped greatly.

The acute physical withdrawal may be over but the post acute (or PAWS) withdrawal can be sometimes just as if not more difficult than the detox phase. You need to be mentally prepared for the cravings, the obsession, the depression and potential insomnia that come with getting off opiates. This phase can last up to 6 months but if you know what you are getting into it makes the actual experience potentially easier.

Take it from some of us, maintaining a successful "chipping" strategy was always the goal for most of us and we ended up with full blown addiction. I'm not saying you could be one of the guys that do it successfully, just know that is a difficult goal to follow through on and sustain.

Good luck bro