• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

New Triggering Post Guideline for Social Threads - PLEASE READ BEFORE Posting (as of Apr 27 2021)

Dave

Bluelight Crew
Updated 4/27/21

Hello everyone!

As part of our continuing efforts to make TDS as welcoming as possible to those who are working to become or stay sober, we have a rule which is unique among Bluelight's forums: the no-triggering rule. Basically, it means that one shouldn't post content of any sort that may trigger someone to relapse. This can include things like glorification or fond rememberances of drug or alcohol use, photos of drugs or obviously intoxicated people, etc... This rule, while important to how TDS functions, can be difficult to enforce, as what may be triggering to one person may well be fine for another, even if they are both recovering from addiction to the same substance.

This rule has been updated, and discussion of substance is allowed in the Social threads, as long as it abides by the 'No Glorification' rule.

We'll be leaving this thread open for comments for a little while-- please keep discussion of this new guideline to this thread. And this may be a great chance to take a quick gander at the TDS Guidelines, if you haven't for a while ;)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very happy to see this having been drafted. Thank you, Dave!
It's most harmonious when everyone's on the same page. Here it is :)

~ Vaya

Im sorry, ive been accidently guilty of this a few times...I dont ever mean to do though...

Im sorry, ive been accidently guilty of this a few times...I dont ever mean to do though...

Progress, not perfection. A nice code to live by, considering our merely being human ;)

~ Vaya

As you said, one person's description of their situation is another person's trigger. I've not seen this guideline enforced in bluelight in a draconian fashion so I'm glad to see this modification since I think it dichotomises things properly.

It's only to be enforced in The Dark Side, and only in the social threads to boot. Plenty of other places around to discuss drug use :)

I think you could change the language a bit "straight forward honest descrption of the drug use is okay; glorification is not."

In non-social threads, that's the policy. Glorification and the like is what DC is for. In social threads, the line has gotten a bit blurry, which is why we're re-drawing it.

Alrite i was holding off but consious wont let me not ask anymore..... Is there gonna be a problem with my avitar?? I've had him for ever and we are kinda attatched:?

We can't expect people to change avatars and names. Sure, they may be triggering, but it's just this little corner of BL where that's an issue.

We can't expect people to change avatars and names. Sure, they may be triggering, but it's just this little corner of BL where that's an issue.

I had no understanding of the concept of triggering. I dont go after oxy anymore. I forgot it totally. But I can remember coming here and reading some posts that made me feel so bad, I don't read the weed threads or watch weed movies unless I got weed. The trigger thunders in a want that's just not natural. I like to smoke when I feel it, not because I lurk in the cannabis forums making myself feel sad....

Did anyone even understand what I just said?

That's what happens when I wake and bake and I'll try to convey my message better next time.

Heh, I think that you captured the concept of triggering pretty well. Just replace the "I want to smoke when it's natural..." to "I'm trying to not ever smoke" and you'd be bang on. :)

good that triggering is considered.

in rehab, we weren't allowed to fraternise with ther general patients. it was thought that we'd influence them to solve their problems with smack and coke.

and yet, when only the addicts were together, the discussion was nothing but drugs, drugs, drugs. at least the general patients mixed up the convo a bit.

Would talking about use of psychiatric medications prescribed for people with real psychopathologies be against the rules? I am not suggesting any info be posted regarding abuse of the meds, just discussion of what meds have worked for different people. Mainly just things like efficacy, side effects, drug interactions and so on. I think that type of info could be useful. A couple of weeks ago, my dose of mirtazapine/Remeron (the most effective drug in my antidepressant cocktail) was doubled and that has made a good difference for me.

Also, comparing the effectiveness of different psych meds or combos might help some people. Just a thought.

I don't think you'd target the types of posts I am talking about as they are about using prescribed psych meds responsibly, not getting high. Most of them won't do that anyway.