Site Feedback SO Photo threads

thujone

Bluelight Crew
SO Photo threads are starting to SUCK. Older Weekly-contest threads are bumped above newer ones and I know I'm not the only one getting confused because I've seen other people post in these threads about how they missed the latest one probably because it was buried on the second page. When I took over Pot or Not we had an excellent system going for people to send in submissions and having them voted for. There's no reason SO mods can't combine the submission and voting into ONE thread and archive it once it's run its course so that the following week's thread isn't buried under the old shit.

Maybe instead of combining the submission and voting into one thread, they can keep doing what they are, but close the submission thread when the deadline has been reached? I thought I read awhile back that it's kept open for comments--Why not just leave the voting thread open (with the poll closed), for the comments? Close the entry thread, put a final post in there saying that "the voting post can be found here", link both threads to each other in the starting/ending post, and problem solved. No?

I too have gotten very confused as far as which contest is currently running. It appears they are running two contests? I dunno--I suggested they do an overlapping entry period, but I didn't think it would get so confusing! 8(

Hey guys, I am so sorry there has been so much confusion, and honestly i didnt realize people were getting confused about our current rounds. We have been OVER aware of the fact the the photo contest has died down alot, and have been trying to do things to liven it up, Including the decision to use addip's idea about extending the rounds so submissions are gonna last two weeks. We are actually about to announce the change offically in SO and in the contest rules, just havent yet.

Also I think if there is confusion about the rounds then i will push for us SO mods to close the thread after submission deadlines, this way people can still look at the thread and the things people might have to say about their work to help them decide who to vote for.

We do go through and archive old rounds, but i personally like to wait a few weeks because I sometimes like looking through the recent photos and also i find people continue to comment and compliment peoples works in the voting threads sometimes well after the round is over. But closing the thread would help make it much clearer.

I appreciate the feed back here, and can assure you I want to do what i can to help carry of the tradition of the photo threads in SO.

<3 Neko

^ Maybe instead of closing both the submission thread and the polling thread after both are over, just close the submission thread?

^ Maybe instead of closing both the submission thread and the polling thread after both are over, just close the submission thread?

Yes that is what i was thinking, seeing as how the actual poll always closes after three days, but open for comments and congratulations for the winner.

Thujone, i completely agree - things need to be shaken up, and you can rest assured that this is a topic of discussion in the mod thread. One thing that i've realised we really need to keep on top of (and something we need to promote more actively) is the contest results archive - it's a place where the results of each comp are recorded, along with who won. People can also refer to the photo comp discussion thread, which has a list of subject matter and the current theme should be highlighted.

We need to work out a better system for monitoring current comps - i think closing the submission thread is a great idea.

SO Photo threads are starting to SUCK.

be the change.

alasdairm

(seriously, I haven't seen you contribute? but I assume you are critiquing the structure rather than the content itself.)

Older Weekly-contest threads are bumped above newer ones and I know I'm not the only one getting confused because I've seen other people post in these threads about how they missed the latest one probably because it was buried on the second page. When I took over Pot or Not we had an excellent system going for people to send in submissions and having them voted for. There's no reason SO mods can't combine the submission and voting into ONE thread and archive it once it's run its course so that the following week's thread isn't buried under the old shit.

All SO mods agree there has to be some tweaking done to the current system. I apologize for contributing to the confusion myself as I made a poll for a week that had long since passed, due to a request made by a poster. Perhaps that option will not be taken in the future. On top of that we started the aforementioned '2-week' period, which couldn't have helped the muddled state of matters.

In any event, we do have a stickied thread in SO for contest discussions. If tambo hadn't linked to this thread in the SO mod thread I don't think any of us would have seen your post.