A Forum for Listing Calls for Applications?

^ you mean post a new notice for every single opening?

that might work too. in the meantime, I've done what I suggested above as a trial. all comments or suggestions are welcomed. :)

I was thinking that every time there was a recruitment process occurring, just add a link to the announcement thread and re-publish the notice, so the announcement becomes an active listing of all recruitment drives currently occurring on the board.

Of course, you'll probably be in perpetual recruitment!

Gotta make it less demanding on staff to maintain, otherwise it'll just create work.

Just my 2 cents and my thoughts when I first read the headline and OP (apologies, I'm in a rush and can't read all the replies).

The only thing that worries me about a general forum and open application forum is that I think it's important that a person is not just apping up to every forum just to be a mod, but the person is interested in the forum in which they want to mod. I can only speak for SLR, but we usually see people we really like and want them to mod. Noodle is much more aggressive with invitations (which is one reason we love him :D), but we do take notice of people who generally want to help, have some compassion and are a good fit for the SLR model. Not everyone (similar to TDS) has the ability to be supportive while still trying to help in a straight-forward way. I wouldn't call it "hard," but I think a certain type of person is needed to mod the support groups where people just really need a shoulder to cry on.

I think it should be mentioned that some forums require a history in that forum, because some (MOST, IMO) forums require you to understand the dynamics and idiosyncrasies of that forum.

^ you mean post a new notice for every single opening?

that might work too. in the meantime, I've done what I suggested above as a trial. all comments or suggestions are welcomed. :)

I thought that announcement was very well-placed and it caught my attention when I went to check my subscriptions. Now, does that announcement appear on every BL page, or just the subscriptions? I clicked the "x" before I could test.

^ it appeared on the first page I went to (Reported Posts I think...) for me :)

Woo, I like this! *excitedly waits for a need for mods in BDD/TDS ;) *

Probably need to brief the smods to ensure that they add all recruitment threads going forward.

i've taken the liberty of adding a short index in the first post of the thread. it might not make a huge amount of sense as we currently only have 5 listings but, as the thread grows, having an at-a-glance list on page one might be of use. it doesn't add a huge burden to the process - add a link when you add to the thread and delete the link when you fill the spot...

if we don't like it, we can easily junk it.

thoughts?

alasdair

^ That's what I'd originally thought would work the best. Just a simple, single post with links to existing recruitment threads.

No need to duplicate the original recruitment posts. Just list what positions are available.

Simple, clear, easily maintained.

that's me sold. the less work the better.

i'll go and change the thread in announcements now. thanks for the comments. :)