• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines The Big & Dandy Mescaline and Mesc. Cactus Thread - 3rd Button

[returns after throwing up] Wow... I think that's the first time I've ever vomitted so hard it came out of my nose. Well, so much for redosing. I'm going to look up a simple extraction method.

try GINGER ! it's surprisingly effective, another BL user who recommended it is Cryptix

ginger-root.jpg

EDIT: others beat me to it

but seriously in retrospect based on personal experiences i don't think i'll ever eat cacti without eating ginger at the same time

Help!? said:
a gigantic oak tree

yes i got wondering about the wisdom of the old trees too !

Mm I tried ginger, even chewed it raw. Usually it helps but not this time. Then again, it might have been slightly off, as it was discoloured on the inside.

if you cant stomach the tea, ingesting a bunch of cacti powder is a sure way to purge

That's fine, purging sucks but it lasts for less than a minute and I always feel better after. Whereas gulping down 18 inches worth of tea takes me at least half an hour. How does the powder taste - more endurable? I would think there'd at least be less of it to get down.

when i used 'powdered green flesh' back in the day i would just put 20g in a ~12oz glass of water and drink it down. if you drink it quickly its a sandy muck beverage...if you wait 30-60and let it rehydrate its a snot muck beverage. different times each are preferable...lol. i never got nauseous at all really, a couple times maybe, but i've never puked from it. i think diet is a factor i ate a very clean all natural vegetarian diet at the time. maybe the extreme of a juice fast beforehand could be helpful for quelling nausea, but i would recommend a raw foods or fruit fast for a few days beforehand. could go a long way, cant say for sure.

the cactus powder i use to get in quantity (i ate 100+g a month at the time, a student to the cactus), came from Peru and was strong enough that a small handful of the green sand was a strong strong experience. 40g was a full-on visionary trance which you don't even think about what 'coming down' is until near the 12th hour lol.

oh and don't try eating the powder straight. lol you won't make it, no amount of saliva can compensate for that amount of sand, and if you're going to end up with a mouthful of liquid gunk anyways then you should just stir it up first as to avoid overwhelming textures. and, i've never seen someone finish consuming it if they adultered the jungle gunk with a flavor. someone added kool aid and never finished his glass, flavoring is not an effective means of masking the flavor.

i used to take the powder and make chocolates though, which was decently effective. i used carob to avoid potential maoi interactions, i am vegan afterall, so i'd avoid milk chocolates and be using a high percentage cocoa. regardless of the potential maoi effects though, a chocolate made as small as possible was a decent means of 'choking it down' for my friends. i just melted them, added honey, added as much cactus as i could while maintaining a chocolatey texture and then sometimes added organic rice krispies lol. could get a dose down to something like a half muffin worth of solid chocolate...it definitely didn't taste good, but texturally was prefered by my more sensitive friends. i've never had a problem with drinking sludge personally, but i tried a few different preparations on my friends behalves.

one time i threw a bag of cactus sand into quarter jar of peanut butter and mixed it then swallowed it almost all whole lol. that was decently effective i must say...

That's fine, purging sucks but it lasts for less than a minute and I always feel better after. Whereas gulping down 18 inches worth of tea takes me at least half an hour. How does the powder taste - more endurable? I would think there'd at least be less of it to get down.

you should filter and reduce volume, so 18" would be about 1-2 shots worth of syrup(much easier than 50-100 OO gelcaps
imo)

for me, the plant matter has caused not just a purge, but hours of stomach discomfort and the runs too

I tried an ounce of powdered peruvian torch a few years ago. I didn't feel any nausea really but it took a long ass time to eat that much material. First we tried mixing it with chocolate but it turned into a slimy mess. I ended up just rolling it into balls with a little water and swallowing them like pellets.

I know people often cook it down to reduce volume, but is it really very difficult to extract the mescaline from the cactus? Does anyone have any idea how with basic lab reagents and tools?

I've wondered that before. There's a Big and Dandy Mescaline Extraction Thread, and the first method there sounds simple and cheap, no need for chemistry expertise or toxic elements. Still I don't want to resort to that unless I have to, because the cactus alkaloid content counts to the trip and I'd probably screw it up anyway.

Thanks thoughtsUnThought. When the time comes, I'll try it with powder and water. Now I must ask about getting it down to powder to start with. Tried drying cactus in an oven once, but it ended up melting into goo, whereas I thought it was supposed to get hard and stale. Assuming I can get it dried correctly, can I grind it down with a cheese grater or something instead of a coffee grinder? Those things are expensive and I'd only end up using it for this one particular purpose anyway.

i imagine you could get little flakes by using a cheese grater..but i dont know if it'll suffice. it'll definitely effect the texture when you put water in it. i'm not a much of a texture-guy, so i wouldn't mind, but having little flakey chunks mixed in with your slime cup may be undesirable.

really i'd shoot for (was gonna say walmart but you're in australia lol) a cheap home-appliance section of a mart and get a 10 dollar blade grinder. you shouldn't pay more than that, the kinda good ones are 20 i think, so 10 should get you a cactus grinder lol.

but yeah, i've never dried it myself..i have a dehydrator now, but thats at 350 investment...i'm sure oven drying would work if you left it in long enough, just make sure the temps not too high. i know mescaline can survive heat, but i'm sure it doesn't like it

you can always use your blade grinder for other wholesome around-the-house duties...like grinding MGseeds or caapi bark ;)

i find it extremely curios the common cacti has evaded law enforcement all this time - the most basic, historical psychedelic, even LSD was once upon a time referred to as a "mescaline analogue" according to PiHKAL - perhaps mescaline just hasn't and isn't capable of causing the same level of social hypocrisy as LSD, but even the mushroom has become outcast by the anti-drug lobbyists, and for a good few years. even cannabis has too, strangely, been banned in most western countries

but how has the cacti remained under the radar ?? maybe it's profoundly unparticularly-delicious flavour has protected it from latent popularity ?? maybe it's simply the low potency ??? i find it a counter-intuitive curiosity

One reason that comes to mind is that cacti are much more appealing aesthetically as ornamentals. Mescaline is also much less popularly known than mushrooms and LSD, especially in non-peyote forms. I dunno though.

I've asked the same question, huolesoh. There was a time when mescaline was one of the 'classics' alongside LSD and mushrooms, which suggests to me that people used to consume it often. Why people have suddenly gotten cold feet about the flavour, I don't know. But I think our current culture is more geared towards immediate satisfaction. LSD is a piece of paper you stick on your tongue, you chew shrooms for all of one minute, and you're tripping within the hour. Cactus takes a great deal of preparation and, in *ahem* some cases, many failed attempts before you get any results, and even then those results are like to be vomiting, nausea and body load.

The failed cactus student returns with more questions.

A Bluelighter told me via PM that three hours might not be enough time to boil the cactus juice. This might explain why my past yields have been so poor. Is it best to keep adding water and simmer the stuff for as long as possible to get the highest yield? My objective was always to separate it as fast as possible from the solid stuff and just drink it, so I used minimum water. Perhaps now, I'll FINALLY get a solid trip when I simmer my twenty inches for twelve hours! (Too solid?)

Could I then simmer the remaining liquid down to almost nothing? The mescaline survives so I assume you could theoretically burn the liquid away until you just have mescaline. I wouldn't go that far, but why not reduce it to 50mLs of disgusting tea if it can indeed be done?

^Wouln't less liquid lead to a more slugy sludge?

A Bluelighter told me via PM that three hours might not be enough time to boil the cactus juice. This might explain why my past yields have been so poor. Is it best to keep adding water and simmer the stuff for as long as possible to get the highest yield? My objective was always to separate it as fast as possible from the solid stuff and just drink it, so I used minimum water. Perhaps now, I'll FINALLY get a solid trip when I simmer my twenty inches for twelve hours! (Too solid?)

Could I then simmer the remaining liquid down to almost nothing? The mescaline survives so I assume you could theoretically burn the liquid away until you just have mescaline. I wouldn't go that far, but why not reduce it to 50mLs of disgusting tea if it can indeed be done?

Simmering the blended cactus for two hours before straining has always proven successful for me. After you strain it, you can always continue reducing to your desired amount. I would not try to boil all of the liquid away but instead use a very small pot to reduce it to 50mL so you don't risk destroying the mescaline.

I don't think so, willow. By my method, it's always been a pretty clear, if thick, liquid.

Damn Ethyl, I was so set on this new method of simmering it longer. I'll try it anyway, and hope for the best. Maybe bring some LSD along in case the trip is as weak as usual. For the 50mL idea; that is what I was thinking, and for the same reason.

Well, I'll update in a few weeks time when I get the chance to try this again, if I remember.

I think our current culture is more geared towards immediate satisfaction.

yes i think you are right, here. have been thinking along these lines too

the endless quick fixes of a burn-out society............

as for getting stronger effects, the trick i've discovered is to eat all the cactus, strain it, drink it, then eat it all. the nausea is more profound done this way, so be sure to finely chop up some ginger and consume lots of that, too. of course you'll want to make the cactus as finely ground up as possible to ensure maximum absorbtion

done this way you will feel nauseous initally, but it inevitably fades, and you'll catch the altered perceptions, heightened awareness

Flickering, yeah, I didn't read that you were talking about strained cactus 'tea', for some reason I thought you were talking about boiling pure sludge...My bad...

I don't really know why mescaline isn't more widely used when compared to other drugs, but I would note that the earliest 'psychedelic movement' in the western world involved mescaline/peyote. It held a unique place in a society that used things like morphine, heroin, cocaine relatively freely. You will find people like Aleister Crowley talking about it in his writings as well as its early isolation from peyote in the late 1890's. Things like ayahuasca/yage, hallucinogenic mushrooms, LSA contaning seeds, snuffs, etc were known at that time period, but were often seen poisonous or immoral. Mescaline wast the first psychedelic isolated and was seen as the benchmark simply because of its early history. In other words, I don't think people disregard mescaline just because it can be difficult to ingest and possibly time consuming; its effects are largely superseded by stronger and more potent psychedelics. I think we can more readily attach personalised western mythology onto LSD then we can mescaline; and regardless, LSD certainly played a more dominant role in shaping modern society then mescaline did.

I must add, I think mescaline is truly a wonderful substance. Its an uncomparable feeling with a true signature of its own. I don't buy into the romanticising of mescaline as organic and warm, because (at high enough doses) it is not all that different to something like acid, but at a lowish dose of 300mg, it is very enjoyable. I've had my most successful experiences with synthetic. I've had my most rewarding trips on synthetic mescaline and LSD. Yay...

First ever psychedelic experience on Peruvian Torch?

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum as well as entheogens and everything related in general, so I am pretty much a noob here. Hopefully I am posting in the right section so here it goes.

With a friend I am planning on my first ever psychedelic experience. I've never tried anything before apart from pot which I did three times. Once via a joint where I didn't really feel anything, just a bit shaky which wasn't pleasant. The second time was from a bong, it hit me straight away, lots of coughing, feeling weak and shaky (I hardly ate that day, maybe that's why?), and alcohol like vision. I went through lots of different feelings, scared, etc and had a bit of a bad experience, most likely due to the setting, there were people around that I did not know, and I never really knew what to expect. One of the best parts of my experience was when I looked in the mirror when trying to wash my face and it looked as if it was in a kaleidoscope where different shapes where seen, hard to explain, especially because it was over a year ago. Oh and munchies too. The third experience was from a bottle and slightly less than a year later, with different people and while drunk. It was a good experience as far as I remember, I laughed a lot at random things but I can't remember much due to alcohol. My friend hasn't tried anything other than pot but never with me. He hasn't really told much about his experience with pot, but he's probably done it more than I have.

So after my experience, I became quite interested in psychedelics, I don't like smoking in general therefore not a great fan of pot. I first found out about cacti about a year ago, I didn't really look into it much at the time but nevertheless was interested. Recently I felt ready to deepen my knowledge and do some research. I read through some of the information on Erowid including at least ten different experience reports as well as information available on various forums. I quite liked the fact that cacti seems to be a gentle plant and a one where a bad experience is less likely to happen. I think I've done enough research to give it a try and I want to do so within the next week with one of my friends who doesn't know much about cacti other than what I told him. I want to do this with this particular person because I can trust him and I feel safe to do so with him as he's a very responsible friend.

I and my friend decided to order 25g each of dried Peruvian Torch chips, so 50g together, from an online ethnobotanical source. I understand that drinking this as a tea will most likely be really hard and I want to do all that is possible to avoid puking. I don't want to do any extracts at this time, nor do I want to boil the chips for hours. After reading all sorts of information I was thinking of trying the following:

- Powder the dried chips
- Add small amounts of lemon juice as well as water
- Mix until it's like dough
- Make small swallow-able pieces
- Put them in the freezer to let them cool (maybe)

- Drink ginger tea made fresh from ginger root (and have anti nausea tablets handy)
- Swallow them with apple juice (or any other juice)
- Drink ginger tea again

- Have buckets handy (just in case)

I think that this could possibly be a nice way of making this work. Other than that it would just have to be tea (powder mixed with warm water). I was wondering what you think of this? Has anyone tried mixing the powder with milk?

We're both waiting for the weekend and can't wait to see your reply. Advice as well as anything we should know is also very welcome.

PS. I posted this on another forum as well because I wasn't sure if I'd get a good response by the weekend as cacti seems to be less talked about. Hopefully this isn't against the forum rules.

PSS. During the experience I was thinking of trying to look back at good old memories, is this possible?

Last edited:
Bill sounds like a bit of a jackass..if Bill can't handle smoking a bit of weed from a bong, what makes him think he's prepared for a much more immersive experience?

While I've never done any type of cactus, I don't know that its ideal for a first time psychedelic experience. That method of ingestion seems like it would be highly unpleasant as well.

I'm sure the cactus people will have much better info.

Bill sounds like a bit of a jackass..if Bill can't handle smoking a bit of weed from a bong, what makes him think he's prepared for a much more immersive experience?

While I've never done any type of cactus, I don't know that its ideal for a first time psychedelic experience. That method of ingestion seems like it would be highly unpleasant as well.

I'm sure the cactus people will have much better info.

You may be right, I might be a bit of a jackass but I don't like smoking in general whatever it would be. When I've had the bong experience I never knew what I was in for, I was told it was fun and it would make me feel good so I decided to try it without doing any prior research. My friend did it, so I didn't think anything could go wrong. Due to the fact that I never knew what to expect I was slightly confused. The setting wasn't the best place either since my friend's friends where there and I never really knew them and felt a bit like an outsider. I am a lightweight so that may be the reason for my weak and shaky feeling? I'm not sure to be honest. I was slightly scared that I might get caught doing something that I shouldn't be and thats probably the bit where anxiety creeped in. I also had lenses at the time which made me feel uncomfortable after a while. All in all I enjoyed parts of the experience and after the come down felt really good and enjoyed listening to music. After the whole experience I came to a conclusion that it's all about the mindset as well as the mood that you are in at the time.

Last edited: