• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Quote Me A Piece Of Writing That You Really, Really Love :)

"For myself, I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens; not as a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor, and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise."

-Faramir, from lord of the rings, the two towers.

hte face in the mirror wont stop
that gurrl in the window wont drop
that feast of friends
out loud they cried
waiting for me.....
outSide

"The soul replied, saying, 'What binds me has been slain, and what surrounds me has been destroyed, and my desire has been brought to an end, and ignorance has died. In a [wor]ld, I was set loose from a world [an]d in a type, from a type which is above, and (from) the chain of forgetfulness which exists in time. From this hour on, for the time of the due season of the aeon, I will receive rest i[n] silence.' "

Gospel of Mary

Last edited:
Limit has two modes of operation
Conforming and dividing
As He confirms and strengthens
He is Cross;
So when he divides and delimits,
He is limit.

- Valentinus

One Art - Elizabeth Bishop

The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster,

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three beloved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.

-- Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) a disaster

“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead
of getting the idea that courage is a man with a
gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked
before you begin but you begin anyway and you see
through it no matter what.”
--Atticus (pg. 112) To Kill a Mockingbird

imperat animus corpori, et paretur statim: imperat animus sibi, et resistitur.
---Augustini, Confessiones Liber VIII, CAPUT 9​

The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
---St. Augustine, The Confessions Book VIII, Chapter 9​

For years, I've had this strange habit of saving quotes that resonated with me in a word document on my computer - the silly thing is now 50 pages long, so I've kept this down to some of my favorite quotes from books that I've actually read XD

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except the memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered. - Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Dying is not romantic, and death is not a game which will soon be over…Death is not anything…death is not…It’s the absence of presence, nothing more…the endless time of never coming back…a gap you can’t see, and when the wind blows through it, it makes no sound… – Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I know exactly how that is. To love somebody who doesn’t deserve it. Because they are all you have. Because any attention is better than no attention. For exactly the same reason, it is sometimes satisfying to cut yourself and bleed. On those gray days where eight in the morning looks no different from noon and nothing has happened and nothing is going to happen and you are washing a glass in the sink and it breaks-accidentally-and punctures your skin. And then there is this shocking red, the brightest thing in the day, so vibrant it buzzes, this blood of yours. That is okay sometimes because at least you know you’re alive. – Augusten Burroughs, Running with Scissors

When the soul suffers too much, it develops a taste for misfortune. ― Albert Camus, Le Premier Homme

This is why dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does, and sometimes they consume us completely. - Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come. - Matt Groening, Life in Hell

The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more. ― Christopher Hitchens, The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever

Every window on Alcatraz has a view of San Francisco. – Susanna Keyson, Girl, Interrupted

Even castles in the sky can do with a fresh coat of paint. – Haruki Murakami, South of the Border, West of the Sun

I admire addicts. In a world where everybody is waiting for some blind, random disaster or some sudden disease, the addict has the comfort of knowing what will most likely wait for him down the road. He’s taken some control over his ultimate fate, and his addiction keeps the cause of his death from being a total surprise. – Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

Nabokov is just so expressive. I can like, see her. Bold is the best of it.

”The exquisite clarity of all her movements had its auditory counterpart in the pure ringing sound of her every stroke. The ball when it entered her aura of control became somehow whiter, its resilience somehow richer, and the instrument of precision she used upon it seemed inordinately prehensile and deliberate at the moment of clinging contact. Her form was, indeed, an absolutely perfect imitation of absolutely top-notch tennis-without any utilitarian results. As Edusa's sister, Electra Gold, a marvelous young coach, said to me once while I sat on a pulsating hard bench watching Dolores Haze toying with Linda Hall (and being beaten by her): "Dolly has a magnet in the center of her racket guts, but why the heck is she so polite?" Ah, Electra, what did it matter, with such grace! I remember at the very first game I watched being drenched with an almost painful convulsion of beauty assimilation. My Lolita had a way of raising her bent left knee at the ample and springy start of the service cycle when there would develop and hang in the sun for a second a vital web of balance between toed foot, pristine armpit, burnished arm and far back-flung racket, as she smiled up with gleaming teeth at the small globe suspended so high in the zenith of the powerful and graceful cosmos she had created for the express purpose of falling upon it with a clean resounding crack of her golden whip.”

Also:

“We are the bright new stars born of a screaming black hole, the nascent suns burst from the darkness, from the grasping void of space that folds and swallows--a darkness that would devour anyone not as strong as we. We are oddities, sideshows, talk show subjects. We capture everyone's imagination.” ― Dave Eggers, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

“What the fuck does it take to show you motherfuckers, what does it fucking take what do you want how much do you want because I am willing and I'll stand before you and I'll raise my arms and give you my chest and throat and wait, and I've been so old for so long, for you, for you, I want it fast and right through me-- Oh do it, do it motherfuckers, do it do it you fuckers finally, finally, finally.” ― Dave Eggers, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

&:

“GOD: I own you like I own the caves.
THE OCEAN: Not a chance. No comparison.
GOD: I made you. I could tame you.
THE OCEAN: At one time, maybe. But not now.
GOD: I will come to you, freeze you, break you.
THE OCEAN: I will spread myself like wings. I am a billion tiny feathers. You have no idea what's happened to me.” ― Dave Eggers, How We are Hungry

“This boy thinks I am not of his species, that I am some other kind of creature, one that can be crushed under the weight of a phone book.
The pain is not great, but the symbolism is disagreeable.” ― Dave Eggers, What is the What

“Once a year, she remembers that she is insignificant. Then she forgets agains, because more than she is insignificant, she is forgetful.” ― Dave Eggers, How the Water Feels to the Fishes

“My mind, I know, I can prove, hovers on hummingbird wings. It hovers and it churns. And when it's operating at full thrust, the churning does not stop. The machines do not rest, the systems rarely cool. And while I can forget anything of any importance--this is why people tell me secrets--my mind has an uncanny knack for organization when it comes to pain. Nothing tormenting is ever lost, never even diminished in color or intensity or quality of sound.” ― Dave Eggers, You Shall Know Our Velocity!

“I was feeling everything too much. Everything pulled at my eyes. I spent hours floating in pools.” ― Dave Eggers, You Shall Know Our Velocity!

“And we will be ready, at the end of every day will be ready, will not say no to anything, will try to stay awake while everyone is sleeping, will not sleep, will make the shoes with the elves, will breathe deeply all the time, breathe in all the air full of glass and nails and blood, will breathe it and drink it, so rich, so when it comes we will not be angry, will be content, tired enough to go, gratefully, will shake hands with everyone, bye, bye, and then pack a bag, some snacks, and go to the volcano.” ― Dave Eggers

Guess I've got a thing for Dave lol.

Last edited:
Awakening

Grave mouths of lions
Sinuous smiling of young crocodiles
Along the river's water conveying millions
Isles of spice
How lovely he is, the son
Of the widowed queen
And the sailor
The handsome sailor abandons a siren,
Her widow's lament at the south of the islet
It's Diana of the barracks yard
Too short a dream
Dawn and lanterns barely extinguished
We are awakening
A tattered fanfare

Soft Caramel

Take a young girl.
Fill her with ice and gin
shake it all up to make it androgynous
And return her to her family
Hello, hello, operator don't cut me off
Ah! how sad it is to be the king of animals,
Nobody says a word
Oh! Love is the worst of evils
Take a young girl,
Fill her with ice and gin
Put a slight drop of angostura on her mouth
I knew a man very unhappy in love
Who played Chopin's nocturnes on the drum
Hello, hello, operator don't cut me off
I was talking to....I was talking to the....hello, hello?
Nobody says a word.
—don't you find that art is a bit.....
We tell children wash your hands
We don't tell 'em wash your teeth.....
Soft caramel--

- Jean Cocteau

"Who played Chopin's nocturnes on the drum"
^lol

“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead
of getting the idea that courage is a man with a
gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked
before you begin but you begin anyway and you see
through it no matter what.”
--Atticus (pg. 112) To Kill a Mockingbird

good stuff boO

Mending Wall

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:.....................................................5
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,:...............................10
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.:...............................................15
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
"Stay where you are until our backs are turned!"
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.:......................................20
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across:.....................................................25
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, "Good fences make good neighbors."
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
"Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it:..........................................30
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offense.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,:...........................................35
That wants it down." I could say "Elves" to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed. :......................................40
He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors.":..............................45 .

Robert Frost

im a mad fan of both suess and jung. today im feeling jung and hope that several quotes, rather than entire pieces apply to this thread.

a man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has never overcome them.

as far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.

children are educated by what the grown-up is and not by his talk.

even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. it is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.

every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism.

everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.

great talents are the most lovely and often the most dangerous fruits on the tree of humanity. they hang upon the most slender twigs that are easily snapped off.

i have treated many hundreds of patients. among those in the second half of life – that is to say, over 35 – there has not been one whose problem in the last resort was not that of finding a religious outlook on life.

if one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool.

if there is anything that we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could better be changed in ourselves.

it all depends on how we look at things, and not how they are in themselves.

mans task is to become conscious of the contents that press upward from the unconscious.

mistakes are, after all, the foundations of truth, and if a man does not know what a thing is, it is at least an increase in knowledge if he knows what it is not.

nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble.

one looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. the curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.

the greatest and most important problems of life are all fundamentally insoluble. they can never be solved but only outgrown.

the least of things with a meaning is worth more in life than the greatest of things without it.

the man who promises everything is sure to fulfil nothing, and everyone who promises too much is in danger of using evil means in order to carry out his promises, and is already on the road to perdition.

the most intense conflicts, if overcome, leave behind a sense of security and calm that is not easily disturbed. It is just these intense conflicts and their conflagration which are needed to produce valuable and lasting results.

the shoe that fits one person pinches another; there is no recipe for living that suits all cases.

there is no coming to consciousness without pain.

- carl jung

<3

...kytnism...:|

Enemy chopper:

"Agent TRESSER. We are confirming Wonder Women on the scene!"

"She is attacking. Repeat. She is attacking the chopper"

Enemy chopper friends
:

"Screw that! Launch everything!"

* FWOOSH
BOOM *

Atom thinks to self
:
(can't...can't think can't..)
(can't let them shoot Wonder Women
is what I can't
!)

Atom attacks
:
"Okay guys!
I admit you nailed me.
But that was before I hit maximum weight and
density!"

a rocket strikes Atom

"ow!"

Wonder Women en into scene, to help, and
says to Atom
:

"Grab my girdle!"

Atom responds
:

"Did you just say...?"

Wonder Women
:

"Grab it, Atom!"

Atom
:

"I, I feel you should know I dreamed this once..."

Wonder Women
:

"...

Yes, thanks for sharing that with me.
I appreciate truthfulness in all forms."

Atom
:
(god help me I cant seem to shut up around her)

"I also had this dream once,
Where you and Power Girl,
had this big thing of whip-cream"
(somebody shoot me please
stop me before I say something stupider
)

Wonder Women
:

"Im just guessing here that you spend a lot of time on the internet,
am I correct?"

Last edited:

Wonder Women
:
"Any other extraordinary events you've witnessed -- anything at all?"

"Anything Atom. It might provide us with a crucial part of the puzzle....Yes?"

Atom
:
"Well, there's no good Chinese food. And OH...

"Its nothing"

Wonder Women
:
"Look, if you want me to use the lasso,
you just have to ask..."

Atom
:
"No!"

"No. Its Just that"

"Ack alright, well...
Its Like the girls, the women I mean."

"I mean the women here seem to..."

"Be attracted to me a lot"

Wonder Women
:
''I see''

"And this is odd why?!?"

Atom
:
"Well, it isn't, wasn't...I mean it's Kowloon -- that's where I'm from -- Not so much with the ladies me"

Wonder Women
:

"Do you know what this statue is based on Atom?"

Atom:
"Well sure its a copy of Venus De Milo."

Wonder Women
:
"Yes but did you know it's believed to be a representation of
Aphrodite?"

"...Dr Choi. I want you to listen to me,
You understand I do not lie while wearing these colors, yes?"

"So when I tell you, as a woman, that its not anything supernatural,
that makes me attracted to your gender, will you believe me?"

"Ill take that as a yes."

"...the people around him leering at Norman, who was holding the flap of his cheek in his hand as if he could somehow stick it back onto the cartilage and bone it had been chopped from.

Please, said Norman. It's my face.

Vera Spikula came out of the crowd, pushed Tom aside, and knelt by Norman, her hand stroking his forehead, her brown ponytail swaying to her soothing cries. Tom remembered other victims he'd seen Vera with. She seemed to move from man to boy to man, each time ending up the worse for her caring. She had run away from a dead-end bush farm five years age in yellow shoes she'd stolen from her mother. She was a girl with a heart full of misguided love. She mothered every man she met and forgave each one their sometimes causal use of her. There on her knees, she was like someone in a picture praying. Then, like a strange bird blown in from some other planet, a child-sized girl was standing in front of Tom. She stared at him, one eye partly closed, her face shadowed by the barrel fire behind her. Looking at her, he thought of the ring-necked pheasants his father had loved, birds that had been brought to the valley years ago from China and were still not quite believed by anyone, so alien were they to those who saw and hunted them. The strange girl stepped by him, her shoulder brushing against his ribs...

Vera was still on her knees beside Norman, the other girl standing above them with her arms crossed under her breasts. She didn't look more than five feet tall in her scuffed blue shoes [standing four feet ten in one sock?]. Vera pulled up Norman's shirt and held it across his cheek as she got him to his knees. Help me, Marilyn, she said. I can't do this on my own.

The girl ignored Vera, turning instead to Tom and smiling. Tom stared at her, thinking it odd how he'd been looking up at the Milky Way and now was seeing the same soft stars in her left eye socket drifting. He stepped around her and heaved Norman to his feet, taking one arm over his shoulder and leaving the other to dangle upon Vera's chest. Marilyn stood a moment in front of the three of them, reached out with her finger, and touched it to the blood on Norman's face, as if curious at what had come out of him.

Vera made a noise like something squeezed.

Marilyn looked up from her wet finger at Tom and said: This's some party."

Last edited: