• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Ketamine / 100mg IM) - first time IM - Wash away my sins in a river of African music

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
I had a lackluster low-dose intranasal K experience last night. I hadn't taken any other drugs, but I'd had a late night and too little food, and needed to wake up in four short hours for something serious. Plus, I'd forgotten to blow my nose or wash it out with saline before I snorted the K, so I'm sure the absorption was terrible. I felt the need to make things right, and I'd never used ketamine IM before, so after a fairly tough and droopy day, I weighed out approximately 100mg of crystalline K, dissolved it in 1ml of sterile water, and shot it into my quad.

I then put on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185405/, a documentary in which Bela Fleck, a virtuoso banjo player, travels to Africa to reconnect with the roots of his instrument and jam with some local musicians. I'd watched this movie about a year ago, then on 360mg DXM oral and 12mg ondansetron IM. It's one of the greatest feel good documentaries I've seen, and had a bigger impact on me than I'd anticipated. It gave me an appreciation for African music, especially the way (at least according to the movie) music is so richly interwoven into the daily lives of African people. I gained an appreciation for just how ancient African music is, and just how primal its appeal is to human beings everywhere, in a way that other music isn't. I was left with a feeling that African music, played on traditional instruments and sung, is almost like a natural soundtrack to the simple running, skipping, laughing, and repetitive chore doing that makes up most of our lives. I feel like I could walk around doing all sorts of simple, mundane things while crooning an African folk tune, especially in a call-and-response fashion with other people doing mundane things, and it would flow perfectly.

I particularly remember a scene in which Bela encounters a village with a huge marimba, requiring a bunch of people to play it at once. The music was incredibly rich and got the entire village up and dancing. And after reaching a frenzied, crescendo, the players gently put down their sticks and the music ceased instantly. It was as well choreographed and briskly executed as an orchestral ensemble, but at the same time seemed so spontaneous and earthy, and I was floored by just how "in the pocket" it was. I remember thinking then, this is amazing, but I'd be even more impressed if I were on ketamine instead of DXM.. Now was that time. I've wanted to rewatch Throw Down Your Heart, but was saving it for a special occasion, when I could really just use some cheering up. It's nice to remember that there's a beautiful side to Africa that rarely makes it into mainstream news sources.

First alerts came on very quickly. I reckon I felt the drug in about one minute. It was decidedly ketamine and not something else, but... nicer. The comeup to ketamine reminds me a lot of the moment teetering at the top of a roller coaster before it plunges. And then the plunge happens, and you brace yourself. There was no plunge here. The effect came on slowly enough to allow me to ease into it, so that by the time I was peaking at about T+10min, I was mentally ready for it and could anticipate what was coming.

The effect was surprisingly clear-headed. There was no double vision, and only limited two-dimensionality. There was a warm glow throughout my body in lieu of a sense of touch -- I say this because my body was fairly shapeless at this point. I was pleasantly surprised by this, because I usually associate this warm glow with DXM, but not K. The feeling of connectedness was almost overwhelming. Every note on a thumb piano, every clap and stomp, and every visit this American banjoist made to a rural African village felt snugly perfect, clever, and wholly destined to happen. The climactic marimba scene once again blew my mind, and left me with an incredibly profound sense of deja vu. I was left with the feeling that my past dissociative-enhanced viewing of this movie was just practice for, or a prelude to, this moment.

There was an interesting visual effect that's hard to put into words. I can best describe it as the contours of things being "softened" and seeming to flow extra-perfectly into the contours of other things next to them, such that it was obvious to me just how perfectly each item fit into its surroundings. The wood planks of the marimba, for example, had the same hue as the dirt on which the marimba sat, and I was struck by just how miraculous it was that human beings could turn base substances like dirt into things like musical instruments, and make such a beautiful impact on the world. It also struck me how seamlessly the African village music blended into the songs of birds and other animals in the surrounding natural world.

I was so clear-headed that I was almost afraid I was coming down. But when my phone rang and I decided to take the call, trying to get up and talk without slurring reminded me that I was still decidedly K'd.

The comedown was a lot softer and smoother too, just like the comeup. K always feels a bit moreish for me when it's fading away, because of how quickly it usually fades. I'm always like "Aw, c'mon, just a few more minutes of fun!" It's a similar kind of disappointment to hearing your alarm clock ring in the morning. But this time it faded away very slowly. At T+1h, I was down enough to not want to watch more of the movie, but still high enough to use this mindstate to think about things in my life.

In sharp contrast to insufflated K, nausea and GI symptoms were minimal. I did not feel dirty, hung over, or ready to crash. No chemical shivers. And best of all, the whole world didn't smell like K.

I very much prefer intramuscular administration to intranasal. There's really no comparison, as far as effects are concerned. It's more potent because it's less wasteful, I think, but more importantly, the comeup and comedown are less abrupt. I'm not sure yet whether the reduction in mindfuck is a direct result of the comeup being smoother, or something separate. I'll have to experiment with higher doses of IM ketamine at some point, so that I'm comparing apples to apples, but something tells me I'll find it a more enjoyable (though equally as profound) ride as high dose intranasal.

The drawbacks to doing ketamine IM hardly bear mentioning. Having a clean syringe handy (for someone who doesn't normally inject drugs) and bruising my muscles are definitely things that I wouldn't be doing regularly.

I also have a deeper appreciation for the effect that set and setting have on the content of the ketamine experience. I've heard it said that ketamine is ketamine, and imparts about the same quality of experience, no matter when and where it's taken. I don't believe that for a second anymore. It was a welcome change to watch something lighthearted on this drug, rather than something philosophical or metaphysical.

Tagged by bindingaffinity
substancecode_ketamine
substancecode_dissociatives
explevel_experienced
exptype_positive
roacode_im

Interesting read, out of internet how dd you confirm the quality of your ketamin?

Think I'll watch Throw Down Your Heart tonight!

BishopsBishop said:
nteresting read, out of internet how dd you confirm the quality of your ketamin?

I didn't. You should. Injecting anything that's not from a factory-sealed vial is not safe, and I don't recommend others do it. The next best thing is to use sterile injection water, and draw up the dissolved ketamine through a micron filter, which is what I did. Ketamine itself is very irritating to muscles -- you'll feel like you got bruised for a few days.

[/I]Throw Down Your Heart is available in its entirety for free on the link I posted above. Don't pay to watch it, unless you have a poor internet connection or want the highest quality of picture (not usually my foremost concern when I'm on drugs!)