Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Blue Lotus (Nymphaea Caerulea) 25g - Inexperienced - Gentle euphoria

Seattle_Stranger

Bluelighter
I obtained 25g of dried blue lotus petals from a trusted vendor and friend who speaks quite highly of blue lotus. He told me how he and his wife would indulge in blue lotus quite often, and how it was a great couples thing to do. I have read up about it, watched some videos including that one British one that everyone knows about, and so far it was seeming like it would be subtle but enjoyable. I didn't read about anyone having outstandingly negative experiences, so I figured this would be a great new herb to try with my girlfriend.

So, I nabbed a bag of it and bought a bottle of cheap red wine. I poured the pretty, sweet smelling blue and yellow flower petals into a mason jar, poured all the wine onto the petals, mixed it around thoroughly, and placed it in my fridge for about 2 weeks, occasionally shaking it around. After the two weeks was up, I brought the jar of lotus wine across town to m'lady, we ate a filling dinner, and sat down to a movie. I put all the contents of the jar into a french press, squeeeezed the petals as much as I could, and poured out a couple glasses of the resulting concoction.

The taste was very sweet, and even though I'm not a wine drinker and typically dislike wine, this tasted alright. I've drank much, much worse tasting things in the spirit of catchin' a buzz, including the kratom I had earlier in the day. I smoke cannabis and use kratom nearly every day, so I am quite seasoned to the effects, I feel I would be able to discern the effects of a new herb from the effects of the familiar ones already inside me. I also read that lotus mixes quite well with both of the aforementioned herbs, so I don't think I tainted my experience much at all. I knocked back the glass of wine rather quickly and poured another glass, this time getting some of the petals in my glass.

Halfway through the second glass, I started to feel a warm buzz coming on, indistinguishable from alcohol. I thought maybe, just maybe colors were looking a tad deeper but that's debatable. My girlfriend was having trouble with the taste of the wine, she also was feeling slightly nauseous from dinner, so she took a couple sips of her wine and opted out. Looks like I'd be polishing this all off myself! Well, I drank it all over the course of the movie, and I noticed some subtle effects including a general relief of anxiety, comfort, very slight excitement, very slight color deepening, all things that could easily be attributed to the alcohol. We finished the movie, smoked some cannabis together, and went to bed.

As I lay there in her quiet, dark room, I found myself slightly ansy. Not quite stimulated, but my mind was moving along and I knew sleep would not come easy tonight. However, I was perfectly ok with that as I felt really, really comfortable laying there. Normally, I'm an extremely anxious person, as well as an insomniac, especially when I'm not in my own home. It's hard to explain, but I just find it very hard to relax when I'm in someone else's environment, even my girlfriend's. I get very ansy and anxious, and more or less never sleep. Knowing this, the fact that I was so comfortable laying there and not anxious at all was astonishing. I didn't feel very high, or stoned, or ever drunk, however my mind was completely at peace and mildly euphoric. It was a nice, solid, steady euphoria too, not a comes-in-waves kind of euphoria that accompanies most herbs. It reminded me of MDMA in this way, but to a very, very limited extent. There were no CEV's to really speak of, no discernible body high, really nothing profound at all except the simple fact that I was completely ridden of anxiety! I layed there for quite a while, unable to fall asleep but totally ok with it! I eventually drifted off, slept rather well, woke up refreshed, no hangover whatsoever, and in a positive mood.

All in all, the effects are extremely subtle if you can even detect them at all. Using lotus with wine creates a nice synergistic effect, however if you're looking to learn about the effects of lotus itself, I suggest using a different method. It's also pretty sedating, which again could have been the alcohol, but I couldn't really see myself dancing around on this. Laying down was PERFECT.

I will be trying this again, except it will likely be a straight tea, not soaked in wine. Also, I plan to ingest much more of the flower petals themselves, I've read this can give a stronger effects.

I hope this helps anyone interested in trying blue lotus!

Tagged by bindingaffinity
substancecode_nymphaeacaerulea
substancecode_bluelotusethnobotanicals
explevel_inexperienced
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

I nominated this for Trip Report of the Month for Sept-October. I can honestly say this is the first trip report I've read about lotus flowers anywhere, and I've been reading trip reports on various sites since I was 15... which basically means I've never seen a trip report about lotus flowers in 8 years. And I've been really intrigued by them ever since seeing a movie about them, so I was glad to see this one. I'm a little disappointed that the movie lied about it's effects though. :(

I'm almost embarrassed to say, but... Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief... lol. Whatever, I love that movie.

I don't know if you've seen it, but it's a mythology-based movie and there's a part where they go to a hotel in Vegas that's actually the "lair of the Lotus-eaters" (from Odyssey), and the hotel owners keep feeding them Lotus flowers, and they act like they're on a mix of acid and meth or something. Also, the main character goes up to some dude at one point him and asks what year it is, and the dude is like, "It's 1970", even though it's supposed to be 2010.

So after watching that I was intrigued by Lotus flowers, but apparently they don't actually have the effects the movie portrayed. I mean, it doesn't sound like it makes you unaware that time is passing, and it definitely doesn't sound like they make you feel like you're on acid. I still like the idea of them though and plan to try them one day, just because of the connection they have with Greek Mythology... which I am somewhat obsessed with.

Haha yep, that's the one! Do they actually even look like that? They looked sort of crunchy. I mean obviously it's a movie prop, but still... I'm just wondering how close to the real thing they actually tried to get since it seems like they failed so hard on re-creating the effects of the flower lol.

Man... now I really want to watch that movie!

EDIT: Just noticed you asked - no, I've never tried either of those. The only natural substances I've tried are St. John's Wort, Valerian Root, 5-HTP, Gaia Melissa Lemon Balm, Melatonin, poppy seed tea, and of course, weed. Nothing that produces any sort of crazy strong effects unfortunately.

If you enjoyed poppy seed tea, I highly recommend giving kratom a whirl. Also, if you enjoyed valerian or weed, give kava a try. Kava is quite subtle, but enjoyable. Kratom can knock your socks off though, I absolutely adore it.

I get the flowers in dried, crushed petal form. The flower in the movie looks fairly accurate to what the whole flower looks like, but I don't buy them like that. Ya know, I can't speak for the effects of a real, fresh, potent lotus flower would be like, who knows, perhaps it does have effects like they portrayed in the movie. All I know is what I have, didn't do that. However, I didn't eat the flowers either.

I have more. Next time, I intend to ground up the petals and consumed them, also without alcohol. Perhaps I'll suddenly feel like a celebrity! Talk about a key ingredient for my herbal concoction!! :p

I've smoked blue lotus flowers. I'm sure I experienced a subtle but definite relaxation (combined with a pint of beer). Falls way short of psychedelic, but unless I'm a hostage to the placebo effect, they possess a modecum of magic. Not enough to make me indulge again, but pleasant.