• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Life exists so that the universe can observe itself

GIGANTIC WALL OF TEXT

I mean all of that is well and good, except I don't know what point the universe has, nobody will ever, or if it even has one in the first place. We can only speculate on that issue.
I am definitely not religious, and I have already stated that my life has purpose because I am living it. I am alive, so I might as well have fun with it.

But seriously though, real talk, does anyone have a better reason than that for why life, the bizarre oddity that it is, exists in this universe? I've heard a lot of reasons and that's the only one that stood out as anything anywhere close to the truth.
And even if you disagree with it, you are observing the universe simply by living, so... what if that is it? What if it is as simple as that? It seems almost neat, tidy even.
What is the end effect of life on the universe when the heat death happens? Life observed the universe until it was no longer able to support life or even motion. And again I am not trying to personify the universe by saying it wants to be observed, or needs to, or what have you. Life exists, and it observes the universe, and besides that it doesn't do much.
D

But that's it. There's no deeper sense of longing within myself, I do not need to be part of something bigger, all of those things are just what you say I think or feel. And the thing about psychoanalysis, besides it being mostly bullshit, is once you say something that I'm supposedly thinking and I disagree with it, you could say I'm disagreeing with it so that I don't let other people know that you're on to something about me.

But you're not. You really totally aren't.
It is all in good fun, though. :]

life exists so that you can observe the universe and realize it is you as much as you are it

(and lol at "GIGANTIC WALL OF TEXT")

are we trying to agree ?

i aint got anything against the original quote
i was just playing around with it (and with you (or anyone))

But seriously though, real talk, does anyone have a better reason than that for why life, the bizarre oddity that it is, exists in this universe? I've heard a lot of reasons and that's the only one that stood out as anything anywhere close to the truth.
i think that -=SS=- summed it up nicely: "Existence just 'is'".

maybe there's no reason, maybe there's no purpose. maybe we just are.

alasdair

But seriously though, real talk, does anyone have a better reason than that for why life

why = because
as long as you can balance the two you stop wondering why
it aint a answer that you are looking for in your head it just becomes a experience
life is a experience, you did not wonder about it when you were a kid, you just played along, you simply were, and the universe simply is

but as im saying that im inevitably pushing my own perspective of what is, and it aint about that
it aint about me or anyone else answer
its about your own experience, but then i need to go back to its not about this, this is my own version im pushing on you, but then im not, you are the one reading it, you are the one looking for answer in it, you are the one giving sense to my words
so it doesnt matter what the universe is is as much as it isnt
you make it all up, all the time, and you change all the time, and you always create new reality of what is
so you will always create a new why, and a new because so which came first, the egg or the chicken ?
as long as you believe a paradox is something to be answered you will not grasp the meaning of the paradox

as someone once said "the purpose of the universe is to just not let you know"

for me its all about balance, but balance isnt a dead end, it aint a dot on a line, it aint standing still, you never get there but you always do, because you are always in motion, it becomes a matter of quality of motion, like is i say it aint about the destination its about the road trip, you might wonder where is the road trip going, well the road trip itself is the destination
or as homer would say : "Beer: The cause of, and solution to all of life's problems"
its a constant flow, its a experience where everything always changes but that never change

so im pushing my own agenda here but it aint about what im saying its about what you are doing, not what i mean but what you are creating out of yourself

you are the universe creating meaning out of language,
like how a computer will create codes, its all 1010101001100101 all over the place, thats what the universe does, it creates code, but then at random it created sequence that happens to be us right here being able to self reflect, and we do such by creating codes, its all language, you are language creating more language
and we give meaning to language, meaning is like the repetition of a signature
of a certain pattern of being
we try to reproduce what feels good
thats the whole point of life, on a biological level its survival, we avoid what feels bad, we go towards the light, and you can see the light as a metaphor for god, for enlightment, but it all goes back to the sun, without the sun there would be no life on earth, so the light is life, the light is energy and with no energy we die, life started with the earth being a rock in relation with the sun, the rays from the sun would hit the earth on all side and what got real hot during the day got cold during the night, the earth is turning so that the top of mountain are filled with snow while the center of the earth is full of lava
but that lava wasnt there in the begining, its through all that heat that we ended up with liquid rock, particle got divided and transformed into something else, which eventually created volcanoes, because the lighter particle wanted to go back towards the sun
heat goes up
but then that created water all over the place, you can sea rock turning into sand which is refine rocks, turning into water, which is refine sand, it gets smaller and smaller and more refine, lighter, lighter to a point where its starts to fly back towards the sun, because the earth is following the sun around the galaxy, the earth is really heavy but a little drop of water that got charge with heat (sun energy) will raise up, its call evaporation, but then since the earth is turning the vapor will get caught up in earth gravitational pull and starts to go east and eventually it gets farther away until it condense, loose its energy, and falls back down as rain
you do that for billions of year and then you get "intelligent" water
because that water will divide itself, it will get polarized in a millions of different way, it will develop energy pattern, and out of the infinity of particle and of the billions of years of water evolution youll get water that randomly got organized as unicellular organism
tho there is step before that but anyway, then begins life on earth i guess you know that story
fish monkey humans...
then what, we got hypnotize by fire, thats our first attraction, invention,
eventually came electricity, and eventually this rock transformed itself into some kind of very refine rock very sensible to energy that moved around and got on the moon...

why did we do it, well because it felt good,
"The aim of the game is to feel, real, good." - Leary
the whole idea of getting to the sun is cause we are matter and we are attracted to energy
energy is motion
it makes things move around, and out of randomness something will end up being organize in a self reproducing manner that makes it possible to self replicate
but then what is evolution, how does it happen
its both natural selection and mutation
genetic mutation happens due to energy wave fucking up the replication process and weeee we end up with funny looking creature all over the place...
why the fuck im i telling that story again...
o yeah: to feel good
survival is all about energy, energy feels good because it gave us life and we are trying to preserve that
god is full of "love" and its suppose to fill you with happiness
god is the light, may your heart be light, lifting up your spirit...
contrary to falling asleep, falling(down) in love(up) (sexual love, physical love)
up and down as metaphor are imo related to water going up n down
having energy feels good and creating new ways to get there is what we do
we try to give new meaning for the sake of getting closer to god, closer to a feeling of en-light-ment
what is meaning, its a way to organize stuff that connects us with where we are going, where we came from, what its all about
and its all about a rock floating in space and its relation to a ball of energy
its all particle of matter going towards the light to then become the light
like if you put wood in a fire it will evaporate
the earth is trying to get to the sun, and then if it did it would evaporate
it would go up or well lets say away in the opposite direction at the speed of light until it like water it starts to loose its energy
so once its at the other end of the universe it come back falling down as matter
to then eventually reach another sun,
its all a eternal back and forth where time transform itself into matter to then re-transform itself into energy
its the space time continuum, the matter spirit continuum,
time - energy(+) - spirit vs space - energy(-) - matter

and that back and forth is suppose to feel good between her legs, you aint suppose to think about oh, im gonna put my hand there and then ill do this...
you are suppose to be in the moment, its a experience not a analysis
but you can analyze as much as you want for the sake of creating better experience, but if you get caught up in it, it will bring you down

so you creat meaning as you go along, meaning is what you are, you are made up of meaning that self duplicate itself, we are languagezor languaging language
we create creator creatoresque, labrico dee cabrac 1010010100101001010
we randomize, we create new form, new ways, new meaning,

meaning is a quality of time
non-sense implies a lack of, a emptiness
silence is a quality of space

we are trying to reach the sun within
to create the universe
to feel good
:)

and i would like too ad when i said energy pattern that that is related to the stars, as the sun travels around, as we follow along, we end up being influence by everything else around, but there is constancy, like day and night and the seasons or ice age coming and going, there is way more subtle change that follows more and more subtle result, but they do repeat themself, its just more circles within circles creating internal dynamics in regards to life on earth
energy fields are all about that dynamics, things are moving around and they are doing it in a certain way
but the air around us is all polarize
so we end up in a situation where a spoon can be seen as more feminine and a knife as more masculine

the meaning is in itself

I like the giganticer wall of text.

Anyway further observations - sentient life observes & then changes the universe with (malice a)forethought, perhaps a short book on this from ninjadan can be eagerly expected :D

So that could be interpreted as the universe learning to recognise itself & alter itself as it sees fit.

However if so it's operating from a position of some ignorance unless the universal subconscious is the driving force & our sentience merely distracts us - like children at a magic show - or adults bent on sensory enhancement or hedonism.
No idea if that makes any sense :)

Life just is...

It's everything at once. We can put words up to this idea of what it is, but really everything describes it all the same. And that's because it is everything.

My views on this have changed many times throughout my life. I'm only 20, I'm still very young, and my mind will change inevitably many more times. But right now, I believe everything is a random spontaneous occurrence. Everything that was needed to create life aligned at just the perfect moment and that's how life started, and we just evolved from that point onward. I don't believe things are meant to be as much as I believe it's only a matter of time till every equation of life attempts to unfold, one way or another. It was only a matter of time till everything needed to create us was lined up, it was only a matter of time.

I don't think we are here for a reason. But one could ask why do atoms even exist? Why does matter exist? If you go back far enough, inevitably something had to come from nothing, but how? Could we really be inside some kind of atom of our own, living in this universe inside another universe? Anything is possible!

Reality is a beautiful, crazy, ugly, miserable and exciting thing. Maybe we are here just to observe ourselves, humans, life, the universe, space and time. Who knows...it's all a mystery, but all I know is right now, life just is. It's everything at once, everything we feel and see and do, it's all one thing, Life. We can try to dissect ideas, words, and use them to describe things but it's all included into one simple thing and that is reality, it just is.

you can understand an others mental state, through practiced observation of your own, and the realization and acceptance of what is found, and by understanding how what is found, to be the reaction made by the initial mental-status' "habit".
can you explain, as specifically as possible, how one would use this technique to establish that, for example, an ant has no concept of 'yesterday'?

alasdair

I think you guys are missing the point the quote made.
Ninja, I don't disagree with anything you said. Well, maybe, but your humongous wall is too long to fully rebuke because I am high as a Georgia pine.

Life is definitely an experience, and humans are programmed to go towards things they like doing, and we are naturally curious and search for answers to questions we will never ever have the answer for.
Why did the universe? Lord knows(haha) that I have no clue whatsoever.
Why life in the universe? So it can observe itself. It's only sentient because we are.
Maybe that's why when we start to look up, we start to look in. That's cute and romantic, haha. I'm sorry. I just wanted to mirror your language a bit, it was a very nice read and I thank you. I actually laughed at the beer quote.
I'm saying this is just a possibility, and that I personally like this one, because it is deceptively simple. To me, personally, it fits. But I am not you.
Maybe one day it might pop into place for you, and then again maybe one day I will become and Evangelical Christian. Doubtful, but possible.

What I really like about it is even if you don't agree, you are the universe observing itself, haha.

i will try Ali!
i will blunder myself into what seems rational partial credit, or un-partial credit. i need to go to the Dr first, though...hahah

and as i said yesterday too, animals do not know of tomorrow or yesterday, i feel personally they do not fear the nonexistence or concept of death, and so are much more free to be who they are, with no concern of others, observing.

i feel the concept of death, is what causes us to rush through life, and to fear time, change, inhabit greed and to steal, to breed violence out of fear of lacking materials, or love, pride, and power -everything must happen perfectly- or else it might not ever again! this is a curse, the same as superstition and beliefs in curses.

Because self-conscious life coermerges with the possibility of an entity acting in the service of prescriptive goals for acting or existing (ie, final causes, purposes), it makes little sense to claim that life emerged for the purpose. It also doesn't make sense to describe life's emergence as purposeless. Life emerges giving itself (and itself as part of the universe of which it is a part) its purpose; it emerges giving rise to the divide between existence and essence.

ebola

^Where's the divide, again?

you do need a destination to have a road trip :)

Actually you don't. The road exists, in its entirety, independent of whichever destinations happen to be relevant to you. The whole big lot of it is a destination to someone, but you can walk along it however you like, sure you might be headed somewhere, but that doesn't mean you are driving at a destination. The word destination implies destiny, which is something you choose for yourself through planning ahead. You can say to yourself "Hey, I'm going to go north." But that doesn't mean anything really, because north is south as east is west. Sure the Erie Canal might be north of me, but I can certainly get there by going south, very, very south, in fact.
But me, I like north. So I'm just going to keep northing along, so don't be surprised if I come up south every now and then ;)

And, just to clear things up, I was commenting on the irony, I guess that's the word for it, of the people being critical of the merits of the existence of this thread in the first place. Those where the two sides I was commenting on, not the debate between you and blind guy, which, I suppose, corresponds to my comment as well.

But the burdon of proof ABSOLUTELY lies with the skeptic, regardless...and I don't believe a computer could ever be conscious, at least not the type of computers that are currently being made or planned.

I guess I agree and disagree with everyone in this thread, but that's my own problem, not trying to make it anyone else's....

Last edited:
And, just to clear things up, I was commenting on the irony, I guess that's the word for it, of the people being critical of the merits of the existence of this thread in the first place. Those where the two sides I was commenting on, not the debate between you and blind guy, which, I suppose, corresponds to my comment as well.

But the burdon of proof ABSOLUTELY lies with the skeptic, regardless...and I don't believe a computer could ever be conscious, at least not the type of computers that are currently being made or planned.
Are you responding to me here? If you've confused me with ebola?, then I am flattered.

I believe that there is a beautiful delftware teapot on the dark side of the moon. Are you really suggesting that it is down to a skeptic to demonstrate that this is not the case? Can you prove that a computer could not ever be conscious?

What is the word that I was getting at instead of "irony"? Can you help me out? The thesaurus search for "self-referential" doesn't yield anything. I guess that's the word for it. Thematic? A motif? These are all touching it, isn't there a more precise word for it? Fractalization? hmm.. because the thread was talking about the purpose of the universe creating life for the purpose of observing, and thus validating(I guess?) itself, while you guys were posting your opinions of how this thread was pointless, which is circular in its own way. Now that I think about it, you, being a mod of this forum, have more of a reason than simply observing yourself post for some kind of validation or satisfaction than others do, but I still wanted to bring that subtlety to light for its own sake. ;)

You British (totally went there) are always talking about strange things like spaghetti monsters and delftware teapots and floating chesterfields. I don't know where I'm going with this observation really, but it's just a funny thing you people do in philosophical conversations. ;) but anyway... I could say "prove it" and it wouldn't really matter who did the proving. Whether the doubter or the claimant attempt to prove the claim the same end is reached, and in any case, both claimant and skeptic become doubters in the face of attempting to prove something honestly. There must be some skepticism present in whoever does the proving, what more does a person need than skepticism to be considered a skeptic? Not to mention the skeptic is the one burdened with the ordeal of proof to begin with. They're just trying to pass the burden onto people who otherwise don't have a problem with something being claimed through a technicality. 2 and a half thousand of years of rhetoric be damned!

I guess if we accept that toasters aren't conscious, or bicycles aren't conscious, then it'd be self-evident that computers just as "unconscious" as any other machine. Just because computers deal with information and we deal with information doesn't mean that we are in any way the same. Our consciousness could just as easily not deal with any information ;) lol I'm just partaking in what ninjadan called mental masturbation. Feel free to drive through the truck sized holes in my arguments at your leisure....

I believe that we are the computational machines allowing consciousness to observe itself.

Is the "we" in your post meant to reflect humanity alone?

i think the quote in the op is basically just a self-supporting argument.

there's a great saying that "nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come". i actually love this idea but in a way it's kind of obvious really and self-supporting inasmuch as if an idea fails to be powerful, then obviously its time hadn't (yet) come. it's just another version of the 'no true scotsman' fallacy to me.

so, to the quote in the op, i think it's somewhat interesting place to start thinking about "why are we here?" but not particularly noteworthy beyond that.

alasdair

The quote doesn't mean that an idea is powerfull when it is ready to be believed or reveiled. It says, in different words, that the one who has the firmest belief and is moved the most by it is the one who is about to be proven wrong. Or: the closer to intellectual defeat you are, the more you cling on to your views.

And the OP's idea is taken from some spaced out hippie-pseudo philosopher. It isn't obvious at all. It is a stupid thought. Newage at its worst.

By the way I am glad to have found this forum. Thus our friendship begin. I lav fannie peeple!

Probably already been mentioned but the word life should read consciousness. Thats what the quote intended imo. If consciousness serves no real evolutionary purpose we could argue that the "collective consc." is a sort of cosmic mind, as in the gestalt of awareness is itself a form of consciousness.
Quantum physics is relevant to - sub atomic particles seem to demonstrate self awareness when observed - the universe could itself be conscious