European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

What are you currently reading? v2

31t5R%2BOyLML._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished it. Pretty fucking great actually

I am currently reading 'The Martian' by Andy Weir which has been turned into the film starring Matt Damon. If the film lives up to the book then it should be a damn fine film.

Oh god yes. That was one of the amazing books I've ever read. So geeky and hilarious.

The film is also brilliant - I just wish it'd lasted for 6 hours so nothing was missed out. Matt Damon was absolutely perfect as the star. I dunno if it's still on in the pictures, but I can recommend seeing it on the big screen if you can.

BTW this interview with Andy Weir is fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SemyzKgaUU

Really pleased to of got this for Xmas. Looking forward to starting this tonight. Anyone read it?

mrjA6gM.jpg

Inflo put me onto Marshall Smith with Only Forward, I gave that book to my ex who also loved it. I suspect she bought this for herself but after I gave her a gift earlier she felt guilty. I could hear the frantic wrapping and sellotape :)

^ yep. his stuff is great. i loved only forward and spares. he has an awesome book of short stories too - what you make it.

alasdair

Scored this yesterday for xmas. It won the Man Booker literary prize and has had a lot of good press. It's about the assassination attempt on Bob Marley. Cant wait to get stuck into it.

12241220_10153536181763173_7919487413281776220_n.jpg

Really pleased to of got this for Xmas. Looking forward to starting this tonight. Anyone read it?

mrjA6gM.jpg

Inflo put me onto Marshall Smith with Only Forward, I gave that book to my ex who also loved it. I suspect she bought this for herself but after I gave her a gift earlier she felt guilty. I could hear the frantic wrapping and sellotape :)

Aye. Brilliant. Read it when it first came out (nearly 20 years ago). Wouldn't mind reading it again actually. :)

Up next on my reading list is the new David Mitchell book:

AN83040661Slade%20House%20by%20Da.jpg

I have adored all of his other books so far, so I'm really looking forward to it. (Please note that this is not the David Mitchell from Peep Show; this is the guy that wrote "Cloud Atlas".)

Aye. Brilliant. Read it when it first came out (nearly 20 years ago). Wouldn't mind reading it again actually. :)

Up next on my reading list is the new David Mitchell book:

I have adored all of his other books so far, so I'm really looking forward to it. (Please note that this is not the David Mitchell from Peep Show; this is the guy that wrote "Cloud Atlas".)

O cool. Just got The Bone Clocks for the mother recently. Think will pinch it off her sometime next year.

Just finished "A brief history of seven killings ". What an awesome read. 688 pages in 2 and a bit days. I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended especially to anyone with a passing interest in Jamaica. Its like a Tarantino film about Jamaica in a book. Quality

Miss Peregrines's home for peculiar children - A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

I'm only a couple of chapter into it but pretty interesting so far :)

I hadn't realized that this was Part 1. Part 2 was ok but starting to drag the story. Not sure if I will buy Part 3.

Currently reading - The forty rules of love by Elif Shafak, really enjoying it.

^
Hoovering up books at the moment, so will be looking out for suggestions from you and consumer.

The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood.

I'm finding this amusing, it's certainly not an origonal idea but its very well written, you'll slip through it no bother. :D

NSFW:

Stan and Charmaine are a married couple trying to stay afloat in the midst of economic and social collapse. Living in their car, surviving on tips from Charmaine's job at a dive bar, they're increasingly vulnerable to roving gangs, and in a rather desperate state. So when they see an advertisement for the Positron Project in the town of Consilience - a 'social experiment' offering stable jobs and a home of their own - they sign up immediately. All they have to do in return for this suburban paradise is give up their freedom every second month, swapping their home for a prison cell.

At first, all is well. But slowly, unknown to the other, Stan and Charmaine develop a passionate obsession with their counterparts, the couple that occupy their home when they are in prison. Soon the pressures of conformity, mistrust, guilt and sexual desire take over, and Positron looks less like a prayer answered and more like a chilling prophecy fulfilled.

A sinister, wickedly funny novel about a near-future in which the lawful are locked up and the lawless roam free, The Heart Goes Last is Margaret Atwood at her heart-stopping best.

That sound like something I would enjoy Koneko (thank you).

The Twelve / The Passage - Justin Cronin
Dust, Wool, Shift, Sand - Hugh Howey

One off that I read in two sittings - Dog blood David Moody

Do the Dust series first <3

Have you read some of the older Clive Barker stuff? More fantasy than horror but 'Abarat' is simply amazing :) Great and secret show <3 Just checked his listings and one that often gets missed but is a brilliant read is 'Mister B gone' .

Picked up The Scramble for Africa for a euro , Thomas Pakenham's account of that inglorious episode, reading it brings home to me how much my idea of the period was filtered through the likes of Zulu in cinema, Conrad in literature and especially English travel writers of the era like Richard Burton.

I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations for good dystopian, futuristic sci-fi books. Its been to long since i read a good book

I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations for good dystopian, futuristic sci-fi books. Its been to long since i read a good book

The Twelve / The Passage - Justin Cronin
Dust, Wool, Shift, Sand - Hugh Howey

Read Hugh Howey first .

King if I was local I would have posted them to you but, the cost of a courier would be more expensive than the books.