Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What are you currently reading? v2

Marmalade

Ex-Bluelighter
john-waters-on-books.jpg

i loathe always having to be the one to drive. reading time is severely hampered.
last books i read - a dennis cooper 'novel', and Grant Morrison's The Filth, which is my nightime bath with booze fave, and the pages have swelled to triple their size due to many careless splishsplashingz

What if their shelves are groaning with Crowley and de Sade? Do you run a mile rather than fuck them?

I'm reading "Hendrix - Setting the Record Straight" by John McDermott & Eddie Kramer. Only read a few chapters so far but it's a really interesting account of his early career so far - lots of great snippits like the fact he started off using one of Keith Richard's Strats when he was breaking out into the mainstream music scene!

Also started reading War & Peace, I think that may be a long term project though :p

Im still on with game of thrones, got the Alan Partridge book to read after that.

we both know that only one person can legitimately have the right answer to that question

Don't drop the Dworkin-bomb on me! She retains the power to make me want to excise my manhood with the nearest available saw....

Just finished rereading Thud! by Terry Pratchett, in anticipation of Snuff been released tomorrow :D

Since it's his birthday today, let me remind everybody that they should own:

777%20And%20Other%20Qabalistic%20Writings%20Of%20Aleister%20Crowley%20Including%20Gematria%20And%20Sepher%20Sephiroth.png

Not a novel, more a reference guide and a collection of essays.

A lifetime of study or a load of old bollocks, depending which side of the fence you're on. Or whether you believe in the fence at all.

Recently started Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Great Book. Also The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a classic!!

Reading 'Whats mine is /y/ours' at the moment. It's a book on collaborative consumption. It's alright so far but heavily repetitive and not exactly as political as I thought it might be, which is a shame.

Since it's his birthday today, let me remind everybody that they should own:

777%20And%20Other%20Qabalistic%20Writings%20Of%20Aleister%20Crowley%20Including%20Gematria%20And%20Sepher%20Sephiroth.png

Not a novel, more a reference guide and a collection of essays.

A lifetime of study or a load of old bollocks, depending which side of the fence you're on. Or whether you believe in the fence at all.

It doesn't surprise me in the least you'd be reading Crowley, I read Magick a few years ago TBH couldn't really make head nor tail of it, may be I should give it another go, but all that fucking goats with the rollings stones....really, I'm never entirely sure he wasn't just taking the piss

really, I'm never entirely sure he wasn't just taking the piss

Oh, he was. Sometimes. Just like many a piss-taking egomaniac. ;)

Get this poem, from The Book Of Lies:

NSFW:
Uncle Al said:
ONION-PEELINGS

The Universe is the Practical Joke of the General at the Expense of the Particular, quoth FRATER PERDURABO, and laughed.

But those disciples nearest to him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow.

Those next to them laughed, seeing the Universal Joke.

Below these certain disciples wept.

Then certain laughed.

Others next wept.

Others next laughed.

Next others wept.

Next others laughed.

Last came those that wept because they could not see the Joke, and those that laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke, and thought it safe to act like FRATER PERDURABO.

But though FRATER PERDURABO laughed openly, He also at the same time wept secretly; and in Himself He neither laughed nor wept.

Nor did He mean what He said.

Crowley should not be read in isolation - he's willfully perverse and will attempt to fuck with your head. Try Robert Anton Wilson alongside, or if you're that way inclined (magick etc.) I can suggest other things. Though you'd like RAW if you like PKD.

Again, all bollocks if you choose to believe so. If you do, fine, but remember the stock market exists.

Which bollocks do you prefer?

poorthings.jpg

This is the only Alasdair Gray book I've read, probably because his famous work Lanark was being pushed by the English teachers at school, thus putting me off him for life. Foolish rebellion, it turns out.

Set largely in Victorian Glasgow, the plot concerns two doctors and one of their creations, a woman devised - à la Frankenstein's "monster" - from her body and the brain of her unborn child, charting her accelerated intellectual, social and sexual development and contrasting her innocence with the realities of life. It's stylish, funny and easy to read. It's also clever, original and political. This is a recommendation.

While in the hospital I almost finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy which is fucking brilliant :)
I'd seen the film so knew it would be a more challenging read, but once you get into the style of writing it really grabs you and drags you in deep.
Recommended ;)

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey, on a long car journey (audio book), not my normal read and not really what I was expecting but interesting none the less