• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What does it mean to be spiritual?

If you ask me, the most basic premise of the spiritual mindset is that life/existence is inherently meaningful. The opposing viewpoint would be nihilism.

While I agree with this to an extent, I view it a bit differently. I find that I go back and forth between periods dominated by both spirituality and nihilism, and each seems to complement the other's development. Think of it like the Taoist concept of yin yang-- two opposite, incomplete forces that together make one whole. Nihilism is still spirituality, but just the process of deconstructing it and leveling it with reality. Nihilism therefore can allow a spiritual person to progress to a new level of spirituality by forcing them to make peace with yet another level of reality.

Nihilism therefore can allow a spiritual person to progress to a new level of spirituality by forcing them to make peace with yet another level of reality.

Your views on the subject are strikingly similar to those of Nietzsche. Though I believe that I understand the concept of dualistic interdependence of nihilism and 'spirituality,' I think that this binary opposition leaves much to be desired. For instance, where would such varying philosophical positions as idealism, pessimism, or certain Zen/Buddhist doctrines fit into this dialectic? Certain variants of the latter traditions emphasize something akin to a combination of both (nihilism and spirituality), sometimes to the point of identifying one with the other. Could there possibly be other contrastive epochs characterized by solipsism, scientism/positivism, etc.?

Also, do you consider these 'levels' of reality to be part of a contiguous whole with some kind of ultimate goal in sight, or is each level nothing more than a relativistic sociocultural/linguistic construction? If the latter, then what real hope is there for the spiritual seeker if the ultimate goal of transcendence is only capable of being tediously approximated through a long and arguably miserable process, but (perhaps) never being ultimately realized? In other words, ignoring the whole 'mountain-scaling vs summit-reaching' dilemma for a moment, doesn't this paradigm suggest some sort of overarching nihilism or glib cynicism as the only consistent approaches to understanding spirituality from the outside in, since true transcendence can only ever be progressively approximated by climbing a potentially infinite slope to God/noumenon/whatever?

To me, the proposition that your human existence is a random, one-off, purposeless accident of an utterly indifferent universe is about as far from spirituality as you can possibly get. If you share this belief, but also desire something you feel right calling "spirituality", don't take my word for it -- feel free to seek out one of the many highly verbose individuals out there who feel these two things are compatible. All I'm saying is, I've never been sold.

Spirituality inherently involves heartfelt openness to the idea that what we directly observe of the human condition is not nearly all there is.

Definite +1 for both, but with one reservation: What are your thoughts on vocal pop-militant-rationalists (the likes of Harris, Dawkins, et al) who insistently make a point of identifying with and catering to those who, regardless of religiosity or personal philosophies, frequently find themselves enraptured by a state of fascination and wonder at the beauty and magnificence of the natural world that could "only be described as spiritual?" In a similar vein, must one subscribe to the tenets of magical realism* to fit your operational definition of spirituality? That is, what would you say to the existentialist/absurdist who claims to derive their 'spirituality' from the meaning that they have intentionally created, i.e., privately and for themselves? Do you view their position as being somehow inconsistent with the belief that "human existence is a random, one-off, purposeless accident of an utterly indifferent universe?" Is such personal meaning simply not indicative of 'real' spirituality? Or is this just the kind of technical verbosity to which you alluded in your post?

And not to belabor the issue here, but don't you think that this cool, PKD-esque idea (that by implication you appear to endorse)

it's possible that some phenomena we deem supernatural are actually quite natural, but well beyond what we're currently aware of as physically possible.

near-perfectly confutes this one:

On the other hand, if by "materialist" you mean that you accept the data from empirical science (interpreted and extrapolated by formal logic, as needed) as the only reliable source of truth, then no, I don't see how anything most people would recognize as spirituality can be shoehorned into that

To be clear: According to you, if Mr. Positivist Scrooge (who adheres to your version of hard materialism) accepts only the empirical data as conferred by experimentation and the formal logical conclusions derived therefrom, then there is simply no hope for any 'spiritual' spice in his life. But if it turns out in the distant future that the empirically observable/measurable Archangel Gabriel of the Birth Announcing, Divine Postage, and Sinner Harvesting Department of Intergalactic Agriculture is actually discovered (empirically), then...what? Was Scrooge just 'right all along,' and was the whole 'spiritual transcendence' thing just a bunch of overblown navel-gazing, or is there some nuance to the situation that I'm missing here? I don't know what else to think given the following:

This is not a spiritual scenario that most of us would wish for, but it is indeed spirituality

This whole attitude reeks of a needless and false dilemma, or just a plain old 'difference that doesn't make a difference.' In the end, the compatibility of spirituality and hard materialism can't cut both ways. Either the "higher purpose" to which you alluded (and the meaning thereof) is, at least in principle, capable of being discovered, studied, and elucidated by scientific/logical means - or it isn't. If the hard materialist discovers Gabriel (or Ganesha, or whomever) and accepts the logical consequences of said being's existence, what do you believe has actually 'happened' to him, like, psychologically? A spiritual 'conversion' by empirical/logical force?

*[or something of the sort; what I mean here is as follows: It seems to me that your idea of spirituality is contingent upon some tentative built-in, overarching "Human Manifest Destiny" sort of ideology as a necessary, but perhaps insufficient, criterion of authenticity; why does human life or existence as such require some elusive intrinsic value, a grandiose goal-oriented mythos, or some other supernatural quality for me to find personal meaning or transcendence within it? And what, in your opinion, gives ontology/epistemology such a privileged status in said search for meaning, which I tend to think of as more of a existential or psycholinguistic issue? Or am I just overemphasizing the whole 'search for transcendent meaning' thing?...maybe, as you implied, there is far more to 'genuine' spirituality than that.]

Last edited:
It's realizing that you are a spirit with a body, not a body with a spirit; that you're a spiritual being having a human experience, not a human being having a spiritual experience. It means relating to things that are beyond the material realm, with an appreciation for something greater than you, but which you are also part of. It is faith over reason, creative and abstract over logical. It is feeling and observing the unseen connections between all things.

What are your thoughts on vocal pop-militant-rationalists (the likes of Harris, Dawkins, et al) who insistently make a point of identifying with and catering to those who, regardless of religiosity or personal philosophies, frequently find themselves enraptured by a state of fascination and wonder at the beauty and magnificence of the natural world that could "only be described as spiritual?"

I would say that I have felt this same sense of rapture at the grandeur of the natural world, and that it is distinct from any feeling I've been taught to call "spirituality". It's like carob for chocolate: some commonalities and reminiscences are there, and they're both good, but they are distinct, and one does not substitute for the other.

In a similar vein, must one subscribe to the tenets of magical realism* to fit your operational definition of spirituality?

I understand magical realism to be a genre of fiction, generally written by native Spanish or Japanese speakers, whose stories possess both touches of the supernatural and a high degree of verisimilitude (in character development, setting descriptions, etc.). Yes, my understanding of spirituality is something like the plots of these novels, except a little less action-packed: as a general rule the world around us operates in ways that are highly regular and predictable. But every now and then something seemingly impossible happens, something otherworldly intrudes, and we're reminded of the possibility that there may be whole layers to our world, whole narratives to our existence, that are for the most part hidden to us.

That is, what would you say to the existentialist/absurdist who claims to derive their 'spirituality' from the meaning that they have intentionally created, i.e., privately and for themselves? Do you view their position as being somehow inconsistent with the belief that "human existence is a random, one-off, purposeless accident of an utterly indifferent universe?" Is such personal meaning simply not indicative of 'real' spirituality? Or is this just the kind of technical verbosity to which you alluded in your post?

In all honesty no, I don't think this sort of spirituality is consistent at all with the proposition that we are meaningless and insignificant. To me, it seems much more compatible with the ontological notion that you yourself are the Supreme Being.

To be clear: According to you, if Mr. Positivist Scrooge (who adheres to your version of hard materialism) accepts only the empirical data as conferred by experimentation and the formal logical conclusions derived therefrom, then there is simply no hope for any 'spiritual' spice in his life. But if it turns out in the distant future that the empirically observable/measurable Archangel Gabriel of the Birth Announcing, Divine Postage, and Sinner Harvesting Department of Intergalactic Agriculture is actually discovered (empirically), then...what? Was Scrooge just 'right all along,' and was the whole 'spiritual transcendence' thing just a bunch of overblown navel-gazing, or is there some nuance to the situation that I'm missing here?

No, in your scenario, he wasn't "right all along". He drew a conclusion that followed from all the evidence currently available that his standards of reliability allowed him to accept. It turned out to be wrong in light of new evidence, but that doesn't retroactively make his former conclusion improper, given his own principles for deeming something true or possible.

What you're missing is my point that different people come to different conclusions of what's possible, and have different standards for deeming things true or possible, based on their own experiences and what they've learned and lived. I have known many hard materialists, and I have a good grasp on the sorts of life experiences and taught values that lead one to adopt their standards for "true" and "possible". That said, my own life experiences and the values I've been taught do not lead me to the same conclusions.

This whole attitude reeks of a needless and false dilemma, or just a plain old 'difference that doesn't make a difference.' In the end, the compatibility of spirituality and hard materialism can't cut both ways. Either the "higher purpose" to which you alluded (and the meaning thereof) is, at least in principle, capable of being discovered, studied, and elucidated by scientific/logical means - or it isn't.

I say it very likely isn't. And honestly, I think find the possibility that it will forever remain a mystery (at least while we wear these fleshy forms), infinitely more tantalizing than the hopes that we'll someday pin it down.

If the hard materialist discovers Gabriel (or Ganesha, or whomever) and accepts the logical consequences of said being's existence, what do you believe has actually 'happened' to him, like, psychologically? A spiritual 'conversion' by empirical/logical force?

That probably depends on the beholder, and his or her way of integrating the experience of something so earth-shattering.

It seems to me that your idea of spirituality is contingent upon some tentative built-in, overarching "Human Manifest Destiny" sort of ideology as a necessary, but perhaps insufficient, criterion of authenticity; why does human life or existence as such require some elusive intrinsic value, a grandiose goal-oriented mythos, or some other supernatural quality for me to find personal meaning or transcendence within it?

Because it seems to me that if my entire existence is fundamentally random, pointless, and doomed to be lost and forgotten without a trace, then so is everything I do, say, or think. In which case, I want out, because this life is just too damn painful to be endured for no ultimate reason. YMMV. You may find this life quite worthwhile on its own merits alone. I do not.

And what, in your opinion, gives ontology/epistemology such a privileged status in said search for meaning, which I tend to think of as more of a existential or psycholinguistic issue? Or am I just overemphasizing the whole 'search for transcendent meaning' thing?...maybe, as you implied, there is far more to 'genuine' spirituality than that.]

I thought ontology was the study of existential issues, no?

I would say that I have felt this same sense of rapture at the grandeur of the natural world, and that it is distinct from any feeling I've been taught to call "spirituality".

Fair enough.

I thought ontology was the study of existential issues, no?

No. You're equivocating here, perhaps intentionally(?). Existentialism and ontology are entirely different schools of thought, if you can even call ontology a 'school' (more like a subfield or discipline). Existentialism is a Continental tradition emphasizing personal responsibility and freedom in the context of and in reaction to growing nihilistic sentiments and philosophies in post-WWII France. Ontology is a fundamental and ancient field of philosophy concerned with existence or being as such. There really is no discursive relation, as I'm sure you're well aware.

To me, it seems much more compatible with the ontological notion that you yourself are the Supreme Being.

Even if said existentialist proposes no such thing? Isn't this just an example of garden variety aggrandizing over-interpretation? Seriously, why can't I come (spiritually) to terms with my own life on my own terms without resorting to such grand abstractions? [for the record, though this question isn't rhetorical, I'm not actually an existentialist]

That probably depends on the beholder, and his or her way of integrating the experience of something so earth-shattering.

Well, yes, but in the quote to which you're responding I had already explained said integration. The conceptual framework employed by the materialist has no difficulty integrating that which it already accepts as perfectly valid/true, even matter-of-fact, by way of empirical criteria. While the event of discovery itself may indeed be life-changingly significant, the occurrence as such is perfectly conceptually acceptable for the materialist, since it presents no threat to his epistemic worldview. See below.

It turned out to be wrong in light of new evidence

No, it didn't. In my example (informed by your - or qwe's - idea) Gabriel was capable of being empirically observed, measured, and explained, just like any other scientific phenomenon, thereby falling under the purview of the hard positivistic materialist, Mr. Scrooge. That was kind of the whole point of the thought experiment. When was Scrooge's position ever invalidated? Materialism, scientism, and positivism = anti-spirituality only by your definition, which is what I mean to address. They are, however, undoubtedly and uncompromisingly anti-supernatural, which seems to be the principle component of those worldviews with which you take issue.

I say it very likely isn't.

That's all fine and good, but what about the italicized 'in principle' bit, upon which the whole dilemma basically hangs? This has grown to feel like a petty quibble at this point, but it's really not about likelihood or probability, as I've tried to make clear. Either Gabriel (or some other bizarre, currently-regarded-as-supernatural entity) is potentially empirically verifiable, or he simply isn't at all. You can't simultaneously proclaim even the remotest enthusiasm for qwe's PKD-idea out of one corner of your mouth and tell the materialist "sorry, no spirituality for you - ever" out of the other. It's a circle that you will not be able to square. If some mystical or supernatural claim were verified by scientific enquiry, then it would cease to be either, and would fall squarely under science's epistemological jurisdiction by default and by definition. However, whether this newly validated phenomenon contained an element of transcendent meaning would still be an open - and perfectly valid - question. For instance, if it turned out that the universe were actually encased in a transgalactic supermegastructure (like, say, a Dyson sphere), in what way would the materialist or positivist be 'wrong' in discussing the transcendent implications of such a (purely empirical) discovery in spiritual terms? Surely, such a discovery really would have transcendent implications, but there's no need for any fairies beneath the garden to make it so. Remember, I'm not trying to propound a worldview here, I'm just trying to point out a somewhat disparaging inconsistency in your attitude re. materialism.

What you're missing is my point that different people come to different conclusions of what's possible, and have different standards for deeming things true or possible, based on their own experiences and what they've learned and lived. I have known many hard materialists, and I have a good grasp on the sorts of life experiences and taught values that lead one to adopt their standards for "true" and "possible". That said, my own life experiences and the values I've been taught do not lead me to the same conclusions.

I don't think I've missed anything of the sort. I completely understand, agree with, and respect the contents of the above quote. I'm not trying to trod on anyone's toes here, and I'm certainly not trying to upend your philosophical position or attack your views on life. I'm just trying to get a better grasp on your attitude re. materialism and its relationship to spirituality (and perhaps your views on spirituality itself, since you seem to be the most passionate and eloquent commentator on said subject on these boards).

Because it seems to me that if my entire existence is fundamentally random, pointless, and doomed to be lost and forgotten without a trace, then so is everything I do, say, or think. In which case, I want out, because this life is just too damn painful to be endured for no ultimate reason.

I fully sympathize with this sentiment [see below], but like you said, that's just you, man. YMMV indeed. But I guess I mistakenly presumed that you were offering a general description of spirituality as such, not a limited version of spirituality based upon your own cosmic preoccupations. In effect, you've elegantly restated my own point: your mileage may vary, and individual dispensations differ, so why constrict or delimit the possibilities of transcendence and identify it near-solely with the supernatural when there is potentially so much more that life and philosophy have to offer the spiritual seeker, whether a materialist or not?

You may find this life quite worthwhile on its own merits alone. I do not.

Nor do I.

No. You're equivocating here, perhaps intentionally(?). Existentialism and ontology are entirely different schools of thought, if you can even call ontology a 'school' (more like a subfield or discipline). Existentialism is a Continental tradition emphasizing personal responsibility and freedom in the context of and in reaction to growing nihilistic sentiments and philosophies in post-WWII France. Ontology is a fundamental and ancient field of philosophy concerned with existence or being as such. There really is no discursive relation, as I'm sure you're well aware.

I was actually using "existential" with a lower case e, for its generic dictionary definition, "of or relating to existence". I didn't mean to refer to a specific philosophical school, which is one I've certainly heard of but am really not too familiar with.

Even if said existentialist proposes no such thing? Isn't this just an example of garden variety aggrandizing over-interpretation?

Again, depends on your view of what's possible.

Seriously, why can't I come (spiritually) to terms with my own life on my own terms without resorting to such grand abstractions? [for the record, though this question isn't rhetorical, I'm not actually an existentialist]

I'm not saying you can't come to terms with your own life in a way that's existentially satisfying to you. Since I'm not living life through your eyes, it would be awfully haughty for me to tell you or anyone else how to frame your life and your world in a way that's suitable to you. I just don't feel that any worldview that negates a higher purpose or goal, beyond the apparent material world that we behold every day, to one's life, falls under the dictionary definition of "spiritual". It's similar to how bald is not a hair color. To me, attempts to square a pointless human existence with spirituality smack of semantic sophistry, and don't use the word "spiritual" anything close to the way most people would understand or define it.

Well, yes, but in the quote to which you're responding I had already explained said integration. The conceptual framework employed by the materialist has no difficulty integrating that which it already accepts as perfectly valid/true, even matter-of-fact, by way of empirical criteria. While the event of discovery itself may indeed be life-changingly significant, the occurrence as such is perfectly conceptually acceptable for the materialist, since it presents no threat to his epistemic worldview. See below.

No, it didn't. In my example (informed by your - or qwe's - idea) Gabriel was capable of being empirically observed, measured, and explained, just like any other scientific phenomenon, thereby falling under the purview of the hard positivistic materialist, Mr. Scrooge. That was kind of the whole point of the thought experiment. When was Scrooge's position ever invalidated? Materialism, scientism, and positivism = anti-spirituality only by your definition, which is what I mean to address. They are, however, undoubtedly and uncompromisingly anti-supernatural, which seems to be the principle component of those worldviews with which you take issue.

Indeed. I see no reason why there could not be whole aspects to reality, whole realms, countless entities, etc., which are real, but will never be understood or reliably accessible to us. A goldfish will never be able to make sense of, or see a pattern to, the odd faces and taps on the glass that intrude upon its world every now and then, because it's a mere goldfish. Might we, likewise, be like so many goldfish on a cosmic scale?

For what it's worth, I am a methodological naturalist in that I think that science (and politics) should deal only with those phenomena which are well-established by test data to be a part of the consensus material reality we all apparently share. But my methodological naturalism is not motivated by ontological naturalism -- it's not that things beyond our ken don't exist or never effect us, but that none of us understand what they are or how they operate, and therefore none of us is in the privileged position to make decisions that affect us all based on them.

That's all fine and good, but what about the italicized 'in principle' bit, upon which the whole dilemma basically hangs? This has grown to feel like a petty quibble at this point, but it's really not about likelihood or probability, as I've tried to make clear. Either Gabriel (or some other bizarre, currently-regarded-as-supernatural entity) is potentially empirically verifiable, or he simply isn't at all.

What is "potentially empirically verifiable"? How do you deem something such? How do you know what's possible to witness when you've never witnessed it?

You can't simultaneously proclaim even the remotest enthusiasm for qwe's PKD-idea out of one corner of your mouth and tell the materialist "sorry, no spirituality for you - ever" out of the other. It's a circle that you will not be able to square. If some mystical or supernatural claim were verified by scientific enquiry, then it would cease to be either, and would fall squarely under science's epistemological jurisdiction by default and by definition.

In my understanding, supernatural refers to things that are by definition beyond our ability to ever fully grasp, meaning things that we have the potential to experience, but don't have the potential to understand or exercise control over. Might these phenomena be continuous with the material world, but linked to it in a way that's beyond our ability to test or measure? Sure. But if we'll never unravel them, then they might as well be not of our natural world.

I take a similar approach to people who want to tear down the wall between "natural" and "unnatural". I say sometimes it's useful to draw a distinction between things that predate humans and things that are man-made, coming into existence only via human action upon the world. This is not committing the naturalistic fallacy, because nowhere am I saying [un]natural equals good across the board. Nor am I claiming this distinction is helpful in all the instances it's commonly invoked. But I do not agree that the terms are meaningless and that this distinction is never useful or meaningful. Same way with "natural" and "supernatural".

However, whether this newly validated phenomenon contained an element of transcendent meaning would still be an open - and perfectly valid - question. For instance, if it turned out that the universe were actually encased in a transgalactic supermegastructure (like, say, a Dyson sphere), in what way would the materialist or positivist be 'wrong' in discussing the transcendent implications of such a (purely empirical) discovery in spiritual terms? Surely, such a discovery really would have transcendent implications, but there's no need for any fairies beneath the garden to make it so. Remember, I'm not trying to propound a worldview here, I'm just trying to point out a somewhat disparaging inconsistency in your attitude re. materialism.

Yeah, I think I should clarify my position. I was speaking more about materialism-derived worldviews as they currently stand, as opposed to what they're capable of acknowledging. All I'm saying is, if you're currently a person who accepts only scientific data as a source of truth, there isn't much room for an external purpose to human existence or your life, because not only is there currently no data supporting it, but it's not even clear how one might collect data that would unambiguously support such an idea. Therefore, I choose to entertain the possibility that what is "true" and "possible" isn't necessarily limited to what we can test and collect data on.

Might some hard, documentable evidence someday come along that we're part of a greater plan? Maybe. Would this technically be compatible with a worldview that accepts only the physical as we know it? Sure. But as it stands now, it seems to me that the materialist camp doesn't attract many people who hold out such hope, but rather, people who've already made up their minds that such evidence won't ever be found, and is utterly at odds with the world as we know it.

I don't think I've missed anything of the sort. I completely understand, agree with, and respect the contents of the above quote. I'm not trying to trod on anyone's toes here, and I'm certainly not trying to upend your philosophical position or attack your views on life. I'm just trying to get a better grasp on your attitude re. materialism and its relationship to spirituality (and perhaps your views on spirituality itself, since you seem to be the most passionate and eloquent commentator on said subject on these boards).

Wow, thanks dude. It's something I've spent a lot of time thinking about. Simply put, I have seriously considered the possibility and implications of a pointless existence, and I refuse to accept it. That's too easy and too trendy, neither of which are my style. My response to the likes of the New Atheists / Brights is to seek out the opinions of concerned and deep thinking people who also, like myself, hold out some hope that there's a greater purpose to all this. I'll be a seeker until the day I die if need be.

I fully sympathize with this sentiment [see below], but like you said, that's just you, man. YMMV indeed. But I guess I mistakenly presumed that you were offering a general description of spirituality as such, not a limited version of spirituality based upon your own cosmic preoccupations. In effect, you've elegantly restated my own point: your mileage may vary, and individual dispensations differ, so why constrict or delimit the possibilities of transcendence and identify it near-solely with the supernatural when there is potentially so much more that life and philosophy have to offer the spiritual seeker, whether a materialist or not?

I see what you're saying. But my question is then this: why don't I encounter more materialists who are open to the possibility of a [wholly natural] external purpose to human existence or their life, if such a thing is technically possible? Where are they all? Why do I only seem to encounter ones who've settled on human existence being inherently pointless? I think this says something about the temperment and motivations of most people who are drawn to the scientistic worldview (as it currently stands). It's a temperment that's clearly uncomfortable with using the imagination to liberally fill in the blanks of what we don't know, and doesn't seem particularly friendly to the notion of insolvable mysteries. It's clearly a temperment I don't possess.

Because it seems to me that if my entire existence is fundamentally random, pointless, and doomed to be lost and forgotten without a trace, then so is everything I do, say, or think. In which case, I want out, because this life is just too damn painful to be endured for no ultimate reason. YMMV. You may find this life quite worthwhile on its own merits alone. I do not.

This issue is at the center of the concept of Tao. The ultimate meaning that you end up giving to your actions is up to you. If you dedicate yourself to reaching your absolute maximum potential, you give your actions meaning.

Life becomes worthwhile through the meaning you give it. The nihilistic sensation of life being meaningless is in fact reality if you have not given your life satisfactory meaning.

Jazz hands, I think the difference is our definitions of nihilism. Rather than get into semantics, let me go through the intellectual journey of one of my nihilistic periods (Before this, they were milder; afterwards they just skipped straight to the last part), the first half of what brought me to where I am today:

*Premise: Some of our worldviews are based on false beliefs we inherited through cultural upbringing, and if the base is wrong, everything built off of is unreliable.
*Process to resolve this: Go backwards through Socratic inquiry until you reach the most basic objective statement. Start again from there.
*Result: Everything outside outside of hard science subjective, and must be thrown out. No longer can justify feeding crippled kittens as being a more (or less) worthwhile activity than rape and murder.
*Realization: Initial premise that objectivity is preferable to subjectively is without objective basis.
*Result: Confusion which turns into a sort of fatalistic, grey void. Episodes of depersonalization.

Second half: mystic experience, then spirituality, which has moved from the idealistic-indefinite towards the pragmatic-humanistic.

(In other words, it's some very Jungian shit, I know. See: confrontation with The Shadow and his Seven Sermons to the Dead )

Last edited:
^ been there, done that.

I realize this is a stupid question, but I was hoping for clarification as far as being spiritual goes. I hear people describe themselves as such every once in a while, but I don't get it. People say they're Christian, or agnostic, or like me, atheist. I get that. But spiritual? What does that mean? Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me (no pun intended)?

I only read the original post and a couple others so i have no idea where we lie on the question, i'll just lend my opinion to the question at hand. By deconstructing "spritual" i find that it just means you believe in a spirit or soul or energy that accounts for our consciousness and life force as unrelated to the brain

Sorry that this is about psychedelics, but it's my only encounter with the 'spiritual' - and still relevant, hopefully.
*Premise: Some of our worldviews are based on false beliefs we inherited through cultural upbringing, and if the base is wrong, everything built off of is unreliable.
*Process to resolve this: Go backwards through Socratic inquiry until you reach the most basic objective statement. Start again from there.
*Result: Everything outside outside of hard science subjective, and must be thrown out. No longer can justify feeding crippled kittens as being a more (or less) worthwhile activity than rape and murder.
*Realization: Initial premise that objectivity is preferable to subjectively is without objective basis.
*Result: Confusion which turns into a sort of fatalistic, grey void. Episodes of depersonalization.

Second half: mystic experience, then spirituality, which has moved from the idealistic-indefinite towards the pragmatic-humanistic.
I can associate with a lot of this, and it has bothered me in similar ways too. But I don't think that it necessarily has to be a negative, nihilistic outlook.

The psychedelic experience makes many people seek explanations by using what they 'know' to be logically correct; which is hard to do when one has 'experienced' something that is inherently 'illogical'. This confronts only half of the issue, and doesn't lead to satisfactory 'integration' of the experience, but the denial of a felt 'spiritual' experience. One ends up providing explanations that are simply a statement of the obvious, such as 'a hallucinogenic drug caused hallucinations through interaction with the brain'. It's this, I believe, that leads to the experience being held in 'reverence', or being seen as a 'spiritual' experience; since the 'fact based' philosophy can't explain anything of the experience itself, except to question it's 'reality'.

Realizing that we 'believe that we know' every 'truth' that we 'know we believe' needn't be a negative thing. It leaves the mind open to any belief by allowing skepticism in equal quantity. It is not a negative, nihilistic outlook, but one which embraces everything by allowing a counterbalanced knowing/believing mind . Holding no firm opinions is a skeptical, self-critical, and scientific approach, that incorporates very well with psychedelic drug use; where the problems of 'integration' then cease to exist, and helps for further exploration of the 'experience' without being challenged by it in any way. It's only when we seek explanations from a one-directional philosophy that we are left challenged by an illogical 'experience'. Measured against this viewpoint, the scientific rationalist appears more like a religious believer; unquestioning their known 'truth' by pointing to facts, without seeing the belief inherent in holding a viewpoint that knows a 'fundamental truth'.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I was speaking more about materialism-derived worldviews as they currently stand, as opposed to what they're capable of acknowledging.

Gotcha.

In my understanding, supernatural refers to things that are by definition beyond our ability to ever fully grasp, meaning things that we have the potential to experience, but don't have the potential to understand or exercise control over. Might these phenomena be continuous with the material world, but linked to it in a way that's beyond our ability to test or measure? Sure. But if we'll never unravel them, then they might as well be not of our natural world.

I think I follow your meaning here, but there remains a persistent epistemic echo throughout: What does it actually mean for something to be "contiguous with the natural world" and not explicable in perfectly natural terms? This is a somewhat different issue from the one we've just discussed, but it sure sounds like philosophically dangerous territory - another difficult epistemological circle in need of squaring. Isn't this another example of the kind of 'semantic sophistry' which you so deplore (just newly employed for different purposes)? The impressive track record of the natural sciences has, in my opinion, already worked out the issue of explicability beforehand - without recourse to some haphazard inductive proof, I can simply point out the numerous successes of science when placed in new territory, many of which include a thorough and effortless debunking of the old mysterian notions of what could and could not be explained as a plus. Just as Scrooge has no way of telling anyone that Gabriel certainly doesn't exist (and perhaps for the same reasons), no one could ever tell Scrooge that Gabriel, if ever discovered, would be forever beyond the ken of natural science. Before you invoke David Hume's critique of induction, recall that this is not an attempt at a logical explanation of why Gabriel necessarily must, if empirically observed, be subject to legitimate scientific enquiry; but don't you think that the odds in this example are overwhelmingly in science's favor? Call it unwarranted optimism if you like, but if I can observe it, I can, at least in principle (more on this below), explain it scientifically. Wouldn't you agree?

Such a simple sentiment can go a long way in molding entire worldviews (which are usually, as you say, markedly aspiritual, even antispiritual - I just want you to understand that this fact is not lost on me).

I just don't feel that any worldview that negates a higher purpose or goal, beyond the apparent material world that we behold every day, to one's life, falls under the dictionary definition of "spiritual". It's similar to how bald is not a hair color. To me, attempts to square a pointless human existence with spirituality smack of semantic sophistry, and don't use the word "spiritual" anything close to the way most people would understand or define it.

Putting it that way, you're probably right. I guess I was just nitpicking.

What is "potentially empirically verifiable"? How do you deem something such? How do you know what's possible to witness when you've never witnessed it?

Well, I'm not really sure what impedes your understanding here. I consider the concept itself to be self-explanatory. Conversely, it seems to me that these questions, whether rhetorical or not, almost answer themselves. The fact that I had never seen nor inhaled xenon prior to the year 2011 had nothing to do with whether or not xenon was very probably a real/material substance capable of being empirically observed, measured, blah, blah, blah. Same goes for my putative Gabriel or yotta-scaled Dyson sphere. I would deem some object or event to be "potentially empirically verifiable" if said event is postulated by someone (you, or qwe, whomever) as though it may ("potentially") be somehow ("empirically") observed and recorded (i.e., "verified"). If this postulated entity were explicitly described in other terms (as intangible, for instance, or as 'belonging to the astral plane'), then, as I said, it surely wouldn't fall anywhere near the jurisdiction of the natural sciences - nor, by extension, the purview of materialists. The minute said 'astral being' (whatever that means) intervenes in material affairs, its epistemological jurisdiction is then immediately - and, I think, legitimately - claimed by science, by default as it were.

I say sometimes it's useful to draw a distinction between things that predate humans and things that are man-made, coming into existence only via human action upon the world. This is not committing the naturalistic fallacy, because nowhere am I saying [un]natural equals good across the board. Nor am I claiming this distinction is helpful in all the instances it's commonly invoked. But I do not agree that the terms are meaningless and that this distinction is never useful or meaningful. Same way with "natural" and "supernatural".

That's fine, but you must at least concede that, if not science proper, then something very "science-like" (in the future, perhaps) could be deployed to great effect in the event of a "supernatural-but-contiguous-with-the-natural" phenomenon taking place (being observed). Or, if you'd prefer, this outcome is quite likely to be the case.

why don't I encounter more materialists who are open to the possibility of a [wholly natural] external purpose to human existence or their life, if such a thing is technically possible? Where are they all? Why do I only seem to encounter ones who've settled on human existence being inherently pointless? I think this says something about the temperment and motivations of most people who are drawn to the scientistic worldview (as it currently stands). It's a temperment that's clearly uncomfortable with using the imagination to liberally fill in the blanks of what we don't know, and doesn't seem particularly friendly to the notion of insolvable mysteries. It's clearly a temperment I don't possess.

This is a more difficult topic to broach in a single post - it could easily occupy its own thread, and probably already has. To answer your question as simply as possible: I emphatically believe that, contrary to your suggestion, materialists possess the same or similar faculties of imagination as anyone else. Rather, there is something that materialists possess in much greater quantities than do most others (whether to good or to bad effect, depending upon your worldview): in a word, this attribute is called skepticism. But like I said, this is kind of a weighty topic for discussion in and of itself, and is too divergent from the actual topic of this thread to be of any use here. In fear of sounding too repetitive, you must bear in mind that I'm not trying to promote a materialistic worldview here. I'm just offering my opinions on the subject.

For what it's worth, I am a methodological naturalist in that I think that science (and politics) should deal only with those phenomena which are well-established by test data to be a part of the consensus material reality we all apparently share.

it's not that things beyond our ken don't exist or never effect us, but that none of us understand what they are or how they operate, and therefore none of us is in the privileged position to make decisions that affect us all based on them.

This is a popular and reasonable attitude, but unfortunately, it does not appear to be shared by most humans on this planet who consider themselves to be 'spiritual people.' Take a good look at my above post featuring two wildly contrasting, but nevertheless thematically kindred, expressions of a spiritual worldview. Though I may be guilty of some off-color humor there, the deeper (but still admittedly shallow) meaning that I was trying to convey wasn't intended to be abrasively flippant nor tongue-in-cheek. Someone upthread (maybe you) wondered why people have such a hard time with the word 'spirituality' and the definitions that 'spiritual' people tend to offer. I think that such nuanced views as the one you endorse could do the world a great deal of good, but presently, I don't see any reason to be optimistic about an enlightened future in which spirituality can be so conveniently separated from the 'real' world to which materialists tend to confine themselves. For these reasons and other, similar ones, many a [former] spiritual seeker that I've met has come to abandon the quest in disgust and frustration, defaulting to some brand of faux nihilism or materialism response. I hope that this may help to answer your final question regarding the evident correlation of philosophical materialism and spiritual skepticism.

[FTR: I'm well aware than Quang Duc was engaged in political as well as spiritual protest, as may be the (ostensibly) Muslim jihadists depicted above. However, I don't think this detracts in any way from the central issue I raised re. certain spiritual ideologies and their unfortunate real-world consequences.]

I think I follow your meaning here, but there remains a persistent epistemic echo throughout: What does it actually mean for something to be "contiguous with the natural world" and not explicable in perfectly natural terms?

Well, for example, a phenomenon could occur so unpredictably as to confound any measurement or all but the sketchiest observation, which are the foundations of scientific data gathering.

The impressive track record of the natural sciences has, in my opinion, already worked out the issue of explicability beforehand - without recourse to some haphazard inductive proof, I can simply point out the numerous successes of science when placed in new territory, many of which include a thorough and effortless debunking of the old mysterian notions of what could and could not be explained as a plus. Just as Scrooge has no way of telling anyone that Gabriel certainly doesn't exist (and perhaps for the same reasons), no one could ever tell Scrooge that Gabriel, if ever discovered, would be forever beyond the ken of natural science. Before you invoke David Hume's critique of induction, recall that this is not an attempt at a logical explanation of why Gabriel necessarily must, if empirically observed, be subject to legitimate scientific enquiry; but don't you think that the odds in this example are overwhelmingly in science's favor? Call it unwarranted optimism if you like, but if I can observe it, I can, at least in principle (more on this below), explain it scientifically. Wouldn't you agree?

You could very well be right.

Such a simple sentiment can go a long way in molding entire worldviews (which are usually, as you say, markedly aspiritual, even antispiritual - I just want you to understand that this fact is not lost on me).

Roger that.

Well, I'm not really sure what impedes your understanding here. I consider the concept itself to be self-explanatory. Conversely, it seems to me that these questions, whether rhetorical or not, almost answer themselves. The fact that I had never seen nor inhaled xenon prior to the year 2011 had nothing to do with whether or not xenon was very probably a real/material substance capable of being empirically observed, measured, blah, blah, blah. Same goes for my putative Gabriel or yotta-scaled Dyson sphere. I would deem some object or event to be "potentially empirically verifiable" if said event is postulated by someone (you, or qwe, whomever) as though it may ("potentially") be somehow ("empirically") observed and recorded (i.e., "verified"). If this postulated entity were explicitly described in other terms (as intangible, for instance, or as 'belonging to the astral plane'), then, as I said, it surely wouldn't fall anywhere near the jurisdiction of the natural sciences - nor, by extension, the purview of materialists. The minute said 'astral being' (whatever that means) intervenes in material affairs, its epistemological jurisdiction is then immediately - and, I think, legitimately - claimed by science, by default as it were.

Fair enough. But even in the event that a spiritual, paranormal, or otherwordly phenomenon were to fall right into the loving arms of an observer with just the right tools in hand to collect a lot of useful data about it during its (typically) fleeting intrusion into our world, that doesn't mean we'd end up any better at predicting the conditions that produced the appearance of the phenomenon, or any wiser to how it came into our world.

That's fine, but you must at least concede that, if not science proper, then something very "science-like" (in the future, perhaps) could be deployed to great effect in the event of a "supernatural-but-contiguous-with-the-natural" phenomenon taking place (being observed). Or, if you'd prefer, this outcome is quite likely to be the case.

Quite possibly.

This is a more difficult topic to broach in a single post - it could easily occupy its own thread, and probably already has. To answer your question as simply as possible: I emphatically believe that, contrary to your suggestion, materialists possess the same or similar faculties of imagination as anyone else. Rather, there is something that materialists possess in much greater quantities than do most others (whether to good or to bad effect, depending upon your worldview): in a word, this attribute is called skepticism. But like I said, this is kind of a weighty topic for discussion in and of itself, and is too divergent from the actual topic of this thread to be of any use here. In fear of sounding too repetitive, you must bear in mind that I'm not trying to promote a materialistic worldview here. I'm just offering my opinions on the subject.

I think you're onto something, dude. I think people who learn to not take much of what the world serves them at face value, are those who are likely to see the most merit in a worldview like scientism, positivism, physicalism, or nihilism. It never ceases to amaze me how people's view of whatever lies beyond this human life is conditioned by, and in many ways is an extension of, the way they relate to the people and the material environment around them.

This is a popular and reasonable attitude, but unfortunately, it does not appear to be shared by most humans on this planet who consider themselves to be 'spiritual people.' Take a good look at my above post featuring two wildly contrasting, but nevertheless thematically kindred, expressions of a spiritual worldview. Though I may be guilty of some off-color humor there, the deeper (but still admittedly shallow) meaning that I was trying to convey wasn't intended to be abrasively flippant nor tongue-in-cheek. Someone upthread (maybe you) wondered why people have such a hard time with the word 'spirituality' and the definitions that 'spiritual' people tend to offer. I think that such nuanced views as the one you endorse could do the world a great deal of good, but presently, I don't see any reason to be optimistic about an enlightened future in which spirituality can be so conveniently separated from the 'real' world to which materialists tend to confine themselves. For these reasons and other, similar ones, many a [former] spiritual seeker that I've met has come to abandon the quest in disgust and frustration, defaulting to some brand of faux nihilism or materialism response. I hope that this may help to answer your final question regarding the evident correlation of philosophical materialism and spiritual skepticism.

That does shed a lot of light, yes. Unfortunate indeed. It would seem that all sorts of human institutions have good, bad, and ugly varieties, I'm afraid. I think the best any of us can do is to live by the principles we'd like to see others uphold and live by, and let the rewards we reap speak for themselves.

Well, for example, a phenomenon could occur so unpredictably as to confound any measurement or all but the sketchiest observation, which are the foundations of scientific data gathering.

But even in the event that a spiritual, paranormal, or otherwordly phenomenon were to fall right into the loving arms of an observer with just the right tools in hand to collect a lot of useful data about it during its (typically) fleeting intrusion into our world, that doesn't mean we'd end up any better at predicting the conditions that produced the appearance of the phenomenon, or any wiser to how it came into our world.

Freely granted. But you're still conflating principle and praxis here, the former of which formed the basis for my original contention. But yeah, when it comes to the fleeting and the inherently unpredictable, science often, but not always, encounters an impasse. However, you've reminded me of a sentence that I read in a math book [I think it was by Gowers] following a section on the gate/node model of computing. It went something like this: "...while we know quite a lot about what computers can do, we know next to nothing about what they cannot do." I sincerely believe (call it faith if you feel the need) that, given the right conditions, science fits that description equally well.

Science's 'power' (in the Nietzschean/Foucauldian sense of the word) as a brand of human discourse is absolutely unmatched by anything other than - maybe - political or religious ideology; and even those latter two are beginning to wane in influence as the rain-dancer flees in the wake of the meteorologist, the shaman is supplanted by the modern physician, and the elder prophet (somewhat disconcertingly) finds her predictions undermined and her wisdom outclassed by the passionless data of the analyst, the statistician, the actuary, the sociologist, the economist. I do not consider myself, in any way, a technoprogressivist. But I am certainly not a luddite, either, and I would hate to see this world (or even a small part of it) go up needlessly in smoke for bad reasons - 'scientific' ones included. To wit,

It would seem that all sorts of human institutions have good, bad, and ugly varieties, I'm afraid.

This may be true, but to what other institutions can one point that are as intrinsically error-correcting and essentially humble as pure science? Mathematics? I'm not saying that science is necessarily without fault (whatever that could mean), just that I find its track record and mission statement to be far easier to stomach than other areas of discourse, excepting (apolitical, irreligious) philosophy, which is entirely innocent of mass bloodshed as far as I'm aware.

On another note:

MDAO, I truly wish that it were as simple as living by example; and, at least day-to-day, I've come to find that it often is. But on a grander scale, the issue becomes much graver and sadder than that. You'll notice that I never disagreed with your sentiments regarding the despicable absence of any redeeming qualities or intrinsic merits of life itself, sans the supernatural. I'm currently in the process of finding out how exactly to live on this planet while filled so much morbid (self-)pity and revulsion at the spectacle that it presents. I don't think I'm bitter, just spiritually stuck. But the question of how to live in a world devoid of sappy optimism and metaphysical woo-woo is one that I simply cannot ignore, one that will not go away. After having finally indulged in their literature after promising myself that I wouldn't, I emerged with the conviction that Camus and the existentialists failed to present their readership with anything more than well-dressed romanticism, nihilism, and sophistry, pretty much like any other French intellectual that I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Camus seemed pretty down to Earth at first, but he ended up being just like the others in the end. I know it sounds like I'm going through some cliched existential crisis. I'm even reading the manuals, right? Maybe I am...but I sincerely doubt it. The question goes further than that, I think. I feel in my bones that there is some real, cosmic truth buried in all this, intimately wrapped up in the reality of the futility and agony of life. I intend to find out what exactly what that truth is - even if the discovery leaves me with insight that I cannot express in words, nor share in any intelligible way. I don't intend to ramble, and, like I said, this is definitely a topic for another time and place. I mention my own sentiments, which I have hitherto withheld, in conclusion and as a disclaimer of sorts so that you don't get the wrong idea.

I have treated many hundreds of patients. Among those in the second half of life - that is to say, over 35 - there has not been one whose problem in the last resort was not that of finding a religious outlook on life.

--Carl Jung

P A, may you find whatever it is deep in your bones you truly seek.

You are master of your own destiny.

In my experience, when someone says they're spiritual it means they hold usually new-age irrational beliefs but that they don't follow any religious denomination. Often I get the sense that they gain satisfaction from a feeling of knowing better than to follow the crowd by being part of a religion but also being enlightened by realizing that there are supernatural things in the universe.

I also think those who label themselves spiritual experience a sense of awe in a stronger manner and/or at a greater frequency than those who don't label themselves as such.

Spiritual means non-physical. So to be spiritual IMO is to pay attention to things beyond their immediate (physical) appearance.

I think a lot of people claim to be spiritual, but in reality there are very very few people who actually are. Spirituality today is a rationalization of inaction and belief, as opposed to real action and attempt at answering the big questions. Everyone I see who claims to be spiritual has some kind of belief system and the big questions have been answered with assumptions, but not with real definitions.

I thought of myself as being spiritual for some time.. but I've since realized I still don't actually know anything, it's all assumption and belief. I mean I've had glimpses of things, I know there is stuff we can't see and more going on than we currently acknowledge, but I still don't know. And until you know everything, you know nothing at all.. halfway to eternity is nowhere.

"Know Thy Self" - Not many spiritual people these days bother to do that..

^dead then or ignorant ?

I don't see how that relates to the non-physical. I was referring to the deeper meaning which lies beyond the tangible surface of things.

So being spiritual means u see beyond mere appearances. For instance this can manifest as an enlarged sense of identity with more then the immediate body-mind.