Younger Brother / Vaccine

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
Wow.

Simon Posford and the gang have really achieved a synergy of musicianship that is something completely in a universe of its own.

This album is an utterly unique and incredibly powerful combination of expertly crafted melody, harmony, and lyrics; warm and organic live instrumentation and vocals; and Simon Posford's uniquely mind-bending synthesizers and electronic production.

I can't find a single imperfection.

This album almost leaves Shpongle in the dust, and I say that as a devoted Shpongle fan.

Thoughts?

P.S.: This is an album that must be appreciated with the entirety of your attention. This is one of those "dark room with headphones" albums.

I am really looking to checking out this album. Younger Brother make some awesome stuff. I am happy to hear that this album turned out to be very good. :)

EDIT: I am actually going to buy it right now, without even listening to it. Twisted has rarely (if ever) let me down. They deserve this!

EDIT: Well the album sounds a little different from what I was expecting, but nevertheless this is some top quality music. It seems Simon Posford wants to make something like a modern Pink Floyd. I'll try and post a full-on review a little later.

Last edited:
'Train' is a fucking wicked track. Really reminds me of Anathema (my favourite band). The rest of the album is too indie-sounding IMO. :s

After listening to the new album in more detail, I have to say that while it's pretty darn good, I still prefer their older albums. While Vaccine uses more traditional songs structures, it still has a distinct psychedelic feel to it. I really don't understand the comparisons to coldplay and such. You have all the signature Twisted subtle psychedelic elements and the whole album has a holistic feel to it that is often lacking in more traditional bands.

However, I would have preferred if the tracks were longer and with less vocals. In my experience vocals can sometimes blunt the psychedelic effect of such music because vocals and their associated musical structures are just too explicit too allow you to "touch the beyond within". Subtly is an essential component for any art that has any kind of depth.

I am not suggesting that YB have sold our or whatever. I respect their decision to open a new chapter in their careers. I feel that accepting changing is fundamental to coming to terms with paradoxes of existence, but, I just can't but help liking longer tracks with less vocals. :)

Maybe my opinion will change after a few more playthroughs. :)

^ Nice review. :)

Something that I found pretty cool:

In an interview about the album, Simon and Benji were describing their intention for the album, which was basically to free themselves from any genre constraint, or any expectation of the fans, or any need to stay consistent with their previous work. Rather, they wanted the create the album by freely channeling whatever ideas or feelings or emotions they wanted to express right then and there. To create music for the sake of music itself, rather than pleasing the fans.

Update:

After listening to Vaccine on repeat for the past week, I have to say that this album is definitely on par with Posford's earlier work. It's psychedelic, deep and it will touch the depth of your soul.

^ Nice!

P.S. Glad you're beginning to see the deeper side of Vaccine -- I was hoping I wasn't the only one (I'm not a hipster :p)!

^ Nice!

P.S. Glad you're beginning to see the deeper side of Vaccine -- I was hoping I wasn't the only one (I'm not a hipster :p)!

YB/Vaccine has nothing to do with hipsterism (?), it's too spaced out and it's built on an electronic foundation even though the tracks themselves have a more non-electronic feel to them.

YB/Vaccine has nothing to do with hipsterism (?), it's too spaced out and it's built on an electronic foundation even though the tracks themselves have a more non-electronic feel to them.

I just said I wasn't a hipster because I want other people to enjoy the same music I do. You know -- hipsters don't want their taste in art to go "mainstream"? Lame joke, basically. :)