Published Sleep, Mood, and Cognition: Assessing the impact of MDMA/Ecstasy use

Vanessa_Researcher

Greenlighter
I am Vanessa Smithies, a Doctor of Psychology (Clinical Neuropsychology) candidate from the School of Psychology and Psychiatry at Monash University, Australia.

I am investigating the influence that MDMA/Ecstasy use has on a function called sleep consolidated learning. Put simply, this is the process whereby our memories are enhanced and strengthened during a period of sleep.

My main aim is to investigate whether memory improvement after sleep is altered in MDMA/Ecstasy users. I will also investigate whether there are any factors that contribute to this alteration (for example, mood).

I am currently recruiting for the first phase of my study, which is an online questionnaire.

This is a questionnaire with a difference – it has an experimental component asking you to complete a memory activity. I will be asking people (very nicely) if they can return in 24 hours to complete the second half of the memory activity. Even if you would like to help out but cannot return in 24 hours, there is an option to complete the entire memory task on the spot.

The survey does take anywhere from 20 – 60 mins, depending on how you respond to certain questions, and how fast you are. About 10 mins of this time is taken up by the memory task.

I am looking for
1. People who don't use illicit drugs
2. Illicit drug users who have used MDMA/Ecstasy and
3. Illicit drug users who have NOT used MDMA/Ecstasy

The survey, along with the explanatory statement outlining further information can be found by clicking here.

A few points
• I am seeking English speaking individuals over the age of 18
• The questionnaire can be accessed from any computer or laptop with access to the internet. Please DO NOT take this survey on a smart phone (e.g. Apple iPhone or Android device)
• The images in this questionnaire may be confronting for some people. They include violent scenes and nudity. Please do not undertake this questionnaire if you think you may be sensitive to these images

If you live in Melbourne, Australia and are interested in finding out information about participating in a second phase of this research please contact me by my email address in my profile. The second phase will involve coming in to Monash University, Clayton or Caulfield campus for a session that will last approximately 2 hours.

I am interested in hearing any feedback that you may have about the survey.

If you would like to help promote this survey, please tweet the URL www.memorysleepstudy.com or “like” the facebook group page found here.

Vanessa Smithies
Doctor of Psychology (Clinical Neuropsychology) Candidate
Monash University
Australia

I'm kinda confused with this survey, I may have missed something on what to do but it seems to show 10-15 pictures at random then asks if they indoors or outdoors (well the wording seemed to imply that there was only one picture shown), though the pictures contained both indoor and outdoor images.
Have I missed what to do in this survey or is it not working correctly?

Hi Cambo,

Thanks for taking the time to do the survey!

Firstly - did you see each image for only a short time (1.5s)? Or did they come up all at once?
If you only saw them for a short time, each "Is the image indoors or outdoors?" question is only about the previous image you saw (not all of them).

If you saw them all at once, please let me know because that is a bug that would need to be fixed ASAP! :)

Hi Cambo. I took the first part, and I'll wait the 24 hours. Hopefully it will work, now all the front page says when I go to it is "You have already taken this survey."

This looks like a really interesting study, especially an interesting way of using online surveys for experiments! I will take it myself when I get some private uninterrupted time!

Please keep us informed as to your progress.

Thanks to all who have participated in the survey - but I still need more participants! If you can spare some time to help me out that would be great!

At the end of the survey there is a section for people to put in their general comments and feedback. I find this very useful and encourage your feedback. It helps with the survey development, but also general comments about the research field and your opinions can assist in the formation of future hypotheses and research questions.

tried to go back after 24 hours to complete but the web page kept not loading so im not going to finish it

Thanks to all who have participated so far, I have accumulated a wealth of information.

I am doing one last recruitment drive before the survey is taken offline in a few weeks. If you are interested in taking part, please visit www.memorysleepstudy.com

If you want to participate but feel you don't have time to return in 24 hours for the second part, that's ok because you have the option to complete it all in one sitting.

I participated in this little study, just finished the 2nd part =D

I participated in the first part and ironically forgot to go back after 24hrs. Personally though I blame the weed lol :p

We have reopened the survey to try to get the numbers up. Even if you can't do the second part, we really need people to complete the first part!

Thanks to all who have participated previously - the BL community has made a great contribution so far, we just need a little more help.

Do you people have any schools in the u.s. you work with to help with these study's it would be nice especially if the paid