Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The English Patient

I watched this movie because I was bored at the end of a trip, and I just wanted something mellow and all to put on till I passed out. I ended up finishing all damn 2hr41min of it, drinking quite a bit of vodka which I would normally find helpful in enjoying a film. Alas, it was of no use. It was a downright boring film. When I read that it won 9 Academy Awards, I realized what true Oscar bait is.

The film wasn't awful, but it wasn't quite good either. The acting was just fine, if not great. It was a very interesting story overall. Yet it was so drawn out and plodding, with little payoff. I suppose it fit the type of film I was looking for, but I just didn't feel very invested in the characters for some reason.

I can't say I'll watch it again. Perhaps at another time I may appreciate it better. For now, I don't feel the need.

6.5/10

Also watched The Fifth Element recently.

It's honestly one of the most quintessential sci-fi films of all time in my book. It was one of the most enjoyable movies I've seen in ages. Highly re-watchable.

9/10

It's honestly one of the most quintessential sci-fi films of all time in my book. It was one of the most enjoyable movies I've seen in ages. Highly re-watchable.

9/10

so good

The Devil 2010
Detective Bowden is a recovering alcoholic who is assigned to the case of the suicide. He later explains that the reason for his alcoholism was the hit and run death of his wife and son, five years previously, in which the perpetrator was never apprehended. Meanwhile, five strangers board an elevator, which later becomes stuck between floors. When security finds them, they notice that there is CCTV and a radio with which they can call into the elevator, but they have no way of hearing the passengers in return. Bowden takes the investigation regarding the elevator as it is the same building from which the suicide victim jumped.
Ramirez is revealed to be one of the security guards and is disturbed by an image of what looks like a screaming face frozen on the video monitor. His boss Lustig dismisses the superstitious suspicions and sends repair technician Dwight to investigate the elevators while Bowden tries to ascertain the identities of the individuals. Only four of the five are accounted for: Vince McCormick, a sleazy mattress salesman; Sarah Caraway, a pathological liar who plans to leave her rich husband and take his money with her; Ben Larson, a temporary security guard with a history of violence; an unnamed older woman who police mistakenly believe is named Jane Kowski who is seen on video to be a thief, and another man who later introduces himself as Tony, who does not appear to have signed in at the security desk.

smth like that

9/10
it's my 2nd favourite film of all time! it's got the lot :)

alasdair

^ 12 angry men

MV5BMWU4N2FjNzYtNTVkNC00NzQ0LTg0MjAtYTJlMjFhNGUxZDFmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,649,1000_AL_.jpg

alasdair

Her

This movie left me feeling somewhat conflicted. On one side, the cinematography was fantastic, and the plot/setting were extremely thought provoking, and the acting was fantastic. On the other, I thought many aspects of the film were just awkward/cheesy/drawn out. The film is only 2hr long and yet it felt like I watched a 3hr film. Not sure what caused this really, I watched another film after of equal length and found it to drag much less. I believe something is off with the pacing of Her and that the film has some unnecessary/long scenes.

Nevertheless, I felt like it was a good film and one I'd be willing to re-watch. It had a number of beautiful and quality actresses, from Scarlett Johansson and Olivia Wilde, to Rooney Mara, and Portia Doubleday. Also a great performance from Amy Adams. I'd say it's worth at least one watch from anyone who enjoys romance or sci-fi films. Definitely a standout among those of such a mixed genre.

8/10

The Red Violin

This film was better paced than Her (which I watched prior to this) but of course the two aren't really similar films.

The Red Violin is a sort of vignette type film somewhat similar to say Pulp Fiction, the thing tying all the shorts together being the presence of the 'Red Violin' and a fortune teller introduced to us near the beginning. Most of the stories are tragic, if not amusing in some way. It spans the the life of the violin, 300 years.

I enjoyed most of the stories, though a few were boring in their own right. The end of the film was not very satisfying, leaving me feeling like in the end I didn't enjoy the film much; however, I did enjoy the overarching concept and as I said, many of the scenes were entertaining. The film won the Academy Award for it's soundtrack and I can see why. Overall worth a watch, but maybe not a second.

7/10

Rezeta

current gem of netflix instant. perfect "wild romance" flick. beautifully filmed on film and post touching is minimal, so it is very pleasing to watch.

funny the photographer struggling to load to the 120 back. wonder if that is an intentional joke or a struggling actor.

Junebug

this is a little emotion pill. when you wanna lay on the couch and be that sad that feels warm and good. the casting is good. amy adams does well.

Don't Worry Baby

a failed Junebug. indie heart-warm garbage. isn't unbearable if that's what you're looking for.

Carrie Pilby

this is like a new subgenre. about a young girl making it on her own and including her full name in the title. made for tv movie both in production value and writing value.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture

i don't remember this movie to the point of being skeptical i've really seen it.

Mississippi Grind

character sketches are fine and there are past examples that show they can override the need for real plot, but neither of the characters are that much or fleshed out that well. while not the worst, nothing about this movie stands out as worthwhile.

The Favourite

not as bad as The Lobster. maybe his second most boring, bland movie. from such a thrilling director. yeah, it had a few witty lines. didn't have anyone in the audience laughing. the spaghetti scene from The Killing of a Sacred Deer is so recent. he hasn't lost it. a few sporadic misses as he tries to infect the mainstream. looking forward to whatever he puts out next.

on the note of directors coming out big, immediately pushing it, and then quickly mellowing ...

Wiener-Dog

Life During Wartime and Darkhorse tricked me into putting this one off. it's good. it's no Welcome to the Dollhouse or Happiness -- or even Storytelling -- but, for another attempt to infect the mainstream, Wiener-Dog is quite right. has the beautiful, sad solondz messages about life without little johnny throwing up at the breakfast table. funny the plot following a dog like children's movie; solondz loves playing with and making fun of narrative and the shape of continuity. the inconsistent green color grading outside of scenes with fluorescent lighting is sometimes irksome. he uses cgi at the end for the worst shot in the film. the greta gerwig segment was a pleasant surprise.

i didn't quite catch all the dialogue and didn't bother to rewind and compare the little girl in the painting to the quadruplets, but i wonder if the grandma is a reference to balthus models.

Last edited:
Fight Club

9/10. Score a little biased because my cousin let me watch it when I wasn't supposed to. Gave me an insight into masculinity or lack there of. Religion/cult insight. It would definently be a 1 of 5 movies/books if I was stranded on an island.

Run down for those who haven't seen it, I'm sure most have.

You have you're narrator that is aware he is suffering from insomnia. Only way he could sleep was to cry and be comforted by other human beings. A women end up "ruin" is medication for sleepless so he starts a fight club for just men. Basically spirals into your average cult from there.

It's a def see.

^^I really enjoyed The Favourite; personally, ( actually like The lobster too but can understand that it appeals to a particularly niche audience - I happen to fit that demo). I think the balance of comedy and realistic-drama was magic, in The Favourite - just a really well thought out production.

^ Fight Club is entertaining and totally agree that the theme of the film is poignant but I hate Brad Pitts face. He's a woeful actor imho.; is really good in himbo roles and playing lunatics but thats as far as his range goes ( apt for this and Kalifornia butI didnt buy him as some enlightened one/cult leader, in the film; which I thought would have given a bit more layers to the film; had it been a different actor), from what I can determine. Norton was exceptional, as always.

Recently, I've watched the first 1/3 of, Three Coins in a Fountain.
It's awful but visually appealing.

Last edited:
Went to see Cpt. Marvel. I had a little background, followed some links that allowed me to kill half a day at work reading up on the current and coming Marvel releases. Still, went in not really knowing what to expect other than "part of MCU". Without being clouded by the history of the character being Male-Female over the years, I took it at face value and enjoyed what was presented. It could be a little tough to follow the parts where the Kree were rewinding her memories, or when Kree were impersonating other people, but overall not too tough to follow. Nice to see Agent Coulson again, and a younger Fury. I very much appreciated the nostalgia of the 90's, knowing most viewers just saw it as 'old'. Good action, decent story line with a twist or two. The expected good doses of humor - the cat, while being a late character, became my of my favorites. Overall fits well in the series, sets for a sequel, though I don't expect much from it. All in all, enjoyable (says the fanboy). I will admit, in my mind, I kept hearing the news quotes of 'not for you white males' and I kept staring at her boobs saying 'yeah, those are definitely for me'. 7.5/10

Went to see Cpt. Marvel. I had a little background, followed some links that allowed me to kill half a day at work reading up on the current and coming Marvel releases. Still, went in not really knowing what to expect other than "part of MCU". Without being clouded by the history of the character being Male-Female over the years, I took it at face value and enjoyed what was presented. It could be a little tough to follow the parts where the Kree were rewinding her memories, or when Kree were impersonating other people, but overall not too tough to follow. Nice to see Agent Coulson again, and a younger Fury. I very much appreciated the nostalgia of the 90's, knowing most viewers just saw it as 'old'. Good action, decent story line with a twist or two. The expected good doses of humor - the cat, while being a late character, became my of my favorites. Overall fits well in the series, sets for a sequel, though I don't expect much from it. All in all, enjoyable (says the fanboy). I will admit, in my mind, I kept hearing the news quotes of 'not for you white males' and I kept staring at her boobs saying 'yeah, those are definitely for me'. 7.5/10

As a child of the 80's, weaned on Amblin productions, Star Wars and the accompanying milieu of those creating fantastic cinema, I am as pathetic as a fanboy can get and unsurprisingly a devotee of the MCU. As I do not find it easy to get to the cinema much at the moment and as a lifelong film collector, I periodically buy and watch releases in groups (for instance, after only getting to see Black Panther and Avengers Infinity War at the flix last year I used Christmas to buy and watch Ready Player One, Solo, Deadpool 2 and Ant - Man and The Wasp). Although I do not have a 4K system yet (Its taken me 11 years to replace my DVD collection with Blu - Rays for starts!) I am satisfied enough with my home cinema set up as while it is only 1080p, it supports passive 3D and the 3DBD format which is much better than the standard real3D system they use at most UK multiplexes which I find too dark to see properly much of the time.

So, Thursday was as good a day as I have had in at least a year, thanks in part to the beautiful cannabis which I usually find makes a good companion for helping loose oneself in a film. As it was a a matinee screening I had the entire auditorium to myself (the cinemas single IMAX system) and got to watch it all on my lonesome (nothing new but hey...) in IMAX 3D.

What a blast! I also knew little background regarding the character, having no knowledge of Marvel lore beyond what I have seen in the MCU, 20th Century Foxes X-Men Cinematic Universe and the first 5 Columbia Spiderman films, but despite the relentless pace I managed to keep up and as the ultimate aperitif for Avengers: Endgame I found the whole experience hugely satisfying.

Similar rating TLB if we are going that road, 7 / 10 but after 20 years of reading (with the last 14 being a subscription too) Empire magazine I am a hopeless slave to the 5 star rating scale, with Captain Marvel getting a solid 4.

I watched every single Star Wars movie over the past two weeks. Seen them all many times before, but I'm on a Star Wars kick lately so... yeah.

Anyways, my ranking of them, from best to worst:

1) Revenge of the Sith
2) The Empire Strikes Back
3) Solo
4) The Return of the Jedi
5) A New Hope
6) Attack of the Clones
7) The Phantom Menace
8) Rogue One
9) The Last Jedi
10) The Force Awakens

I really hated TFA, and it makes no sense to me that people were up in arms over TLJ.

I LOVED Solo, yet people hate that one too, if not most of all??

I heard they're postponing/cancelling all stand-alone films, and I'm real bummed. Rogue One wasn't bad and Solo was pretty good... I wanted to see an Obi-Wan anthology film, and a Boba Fett film. And a Vader hunting down the last jedi sans Kenobi/Yoda. And a Luke Skywalker anthology film, maybe where he's started the new academy but before Ben fell to the dark side? So much potential could be lost because people inexplicably hated Solo? Ugh...
Wife and I are rewatching all these again, and so far I stand by everything I said before. Hoping episode 9 in December turns out better, and may have to bite the bullit and pay for the Disney streaming service for exactly one month so I can binge The Mandalorian when it comes out.

Really really loved The Clone Wars series and would put it above any of the films if it were included here. I'd put Rebels about midway on this list, as it was good but fell short in many ways and Thrawn's 'death' and the series ending was absolute BS. I consider the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn to be canon over the new movie trilogy and thus Thrawn can't 'die' in rebels because he has to take over the remnants of the Empire years after Rebels ends. Stupid Disney...

Destroyer 2019

- Nicole Kidman in a role .. man, you would never recognize her.
Great flick to. Highly recommended!!

Attachments

• MV5BODI4MTI2OTAyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjY3NDY1NjM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg
    MV5BODI4MTI2OTAyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjY3NDY1NjM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: CFC
Cockfighter (1974)
Re-visited this great flick.
I am watching the version with audio commentary,very interesting. If you like a good american film then check it!

cock.jpg

Glass - 6/10. I enjoyed it for the most part, but felt that certain scenes, especially toward the end, let it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.