Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that "Unbreakable" was an excellent film, up until the end...the ending to "Unbreakable" was so bad that I literally laughed out loud when I first viewed it. It was just so incredibly abrupt and anti-climactic, like the film suddenly ran out of money during production and whoever had been writing the plot just said "fuck it" :)

isn't the whole point of m night shyamalan movies the surprise endings?

Moon

my family friendly pick (no subtitles, not in b&w, plot oriented, etc) over the holidays. served its purpose well. rockwell is great and gets plenty of room to show off. callous corporate use of technology for greed at the expense of humanity is the kinda subject matter i want plebeians to see.

The Founder

they're so scientific about their setup, but ordered the wrong number of mixers? biopics are mediocre at best.

Bridge to Terabithia

the fantasy world is not properly fleshed out. likely the result of trying to fit a book into a movie. nice they humanize the bully and the kid ends up recognizing how important his little sis is. annasoph has big eyes but otherwise acute features. thin lips and sharp chin. her character's avril lavigne wardrobe is unfortunate. it's a thrown together kids movie -- not a Labrynth. about thirty seconds in a single dress isn't worth it.

Shirkers

documentaries that are not about anything impactful are best. the super 8 footage is pleasant. fun hearing them acknowledge their influences and showing the results. their road film looks worthwhile. not sure what the word for it is, but i love works where the plot is intentionally fluid. for example, lovers betray one another but then later there's a scene where its clear they've been forever loyal. whatup, godard.

Last edited:
black mirror: bandersnatch.

This one was fucking excellent. No better way to describe it. It's an interactive film meaning you get to make decisions for the main character (for those who don't know that).

Was done extremely well. Really makes you think and can be pretty scary at times but not in the traditional sense of scary as in jump scares, blood and gore, etc. It's a psychological thriller/horror through and through and has virtually no typical thriller/horror movie tropes. It's a completely fresh experience.

It delivered on this excellently. Those who've watched the black mirror series know what I mean about the psychological horror.

Follows a young man in the mid-late 80s who is working on developing a decision based rpg game for a game developer.

Touches on themes of mental illness and extreme paranoia quite a lot. the psychological horror in it is unreal. Most unnerved I've felt in a long time watching a movie. Making decisions for this poor bastard and watching his life fall apart around him because of basically what you're doing to him.

Be prepared to sink at least 90 mins into this one. It varies from person to person but I was almost 2.5 hours going through the various scenarios presented in the movie.

Only con is that it seems to get a tad repetitive after a while but I actually didn't notice this until i finished watching/playing the movie as I was completely immersed.

Overall I'd give it a 4.5/5. Acting was downright amazing. Story was too. Presentation as well was beautiful. Very, very thought provoking and could get quite emotional at times. Drawn out a tad too long but that can be easily overlooked as it's extremely captivating.

If you have netflix, put a couple hours aside and watch/ play bandersnatch. You will NOT be disappointed.

The Appearance

When a medieval monk unexpectedly dies in a horrific way, the Church sends Mateho the Inquisitor, a rational man of science, to investigate the alleged 'witch'. When Mateho himself becomes implicated as more monks die mysteriously, he must learn that science cannot explain the horrors around him, before he is seduced by the evil that haunts this monastery.

My thoughts?

It keeps a strange atmosphere, isn't predictable & somehow wants to be a bit original here and there. Reminds me of The Apostle

Last edited:
Just watched Bertrand Bonello's Nocturama... all I can say is holy shit!
It's about a group of youngsters orchestrating a terrorist attack in Paris, and regrouping in a shopping mall after the fact (hello Dawn of the Dead!). The reasons for the attack are never made explicit, although from the subtext of the film, they're probably making some vague anti-capitalist statement, like a confused and clueless Weather Underground.
The editing is ingenious as it keeps zigzagging back and forth in time, with the diegetic music serving as reference points to situate us in time. And of course the music choices are just ace.

I don't want to reveal too much else. It's incredible.

@hydroazuanacaine
I loved Shirkers! That one stuck with me for a while. Haunted as hell.

MV5BNTkzMzRlYjEtMTQ5Yi00OWY3LWI0NzYtNGQ4ZDkzZTU0M2  IwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182  ,268_AL_.jpg

Trailer

MOLLY?S GAME is based on the true story of Molly Bloom, an Olympic-class skier who ran the world's most exclusive high-stakes poker game for a decade before being arrested in the middle of the night by 17 FBI agents wielding automatic weapons. Her players included Hollywood royalty, sports stars, business titans and finally, unbeknownst to her, the Russian mob. Her only ally was her criminal defense lawyer Charlie Jaffey, who learned that there was much more to Molly than the tabloids led us to believe.

Another above average Arron Sorkin flick that I liked and got decent reviews. 7.5/10 82% Rotten Tomatoes

Leave No Trace

LeaveNoTrace-1532124543.jpg

A father and his thirteen year-old daughter are living an ideal existence in a vast urban park in Portland, Oregon, when a small mistake derails their lives forever.

Own review > They live like our race should, in freedom without rules. I liked the cast too ( Ben Foster ) did a fuckin brilliant perfomance also McKenzie which it's quite young and don't have that many traits but this film has leaved a mark on her career too, leaving this beside. Isn't an easy movie and the idea tried to bring together some groupes of people which is self-reflective and have balanced the elements in a fair way on all levels, the
cinematography( not that new but tried to be on point with aesthetics and did a great job) also the story which it's refreshing

The Machinist.

6/10. Giving it a 6 because of Christian Bale. The story just wasnt compelling. His insanity was better portrayed in American Psycho. A lot of holes in the story I found. Won't put any spoilers. If you do watch it, dont while eating because Bale is skin n' bones lol.

^Huh, I thought the Machinest was better personally. Not amazing, but enjoyable.

I watched Risky Business the other day on a flight (Delta has free movies on some planes). It was quite enjoyable. I hadn't seen anything with nudity in a month or so, it got me excited to be home with the wife heh. Tom Cruise continues to impress me as well.

7/10

^ For real?

Im not sure of how to add a spoiler tag. But just my opinion about him being better in American Psycho. I might be biased to the story.

In Machinist from the very beginning he's aware that he's hallucinating and not sleeping. He watched a clock go one second ahead then one 2nd back.

Also he did a hit and run on a child in the middle of the day with witnesses all around and he stays in the same town and doesn't get caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
The-Isle.jpg

It got delayed conform to some news that I read on a movie forum because the director really wanted to take off the Hollywood impression and to give some hopes to the public that there is few people out there who actually do it for passion
=====================

Interesting, a mute island with only few people around and only ghost. It happens in 1846, a storm caused a ship to sink and there it's only three survivors. The island it's haunted by the spirit of mermaids if I got it right and I think I did, they can basically make you a voodoo doll, it's a bit hard to understand the story( and I don't wanna give any spoilers only little here and there) because the unfolding it's slow and pretty confusing at some parts. The idea isn't new but tries to take a different path. You somehow get the feeling that you are there because the director wanted to make the characters this way

In other words it's worth watching, the horror elements are there & they are very subtle as to keep you focused on it.

Regards,

Winter

Last edited:
i saw one and i have to see it again and i'll probably be seeing clips and bits for a while and it's making me sad

Velvet Buzzsaw

Reviews were not great so, not everyone's cup-of-tea, understandably. Nothing amazing but personally, enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.