Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just watched:

MV5BMjM0OTczMTcxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU1MDUwMjE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

note - it's not about frank sidebottom. it is fictional and is inspired by frank sidebottom.

i really enjoyed it.

alasdair

Last edited:
Time Out of Mind, with Richard Gere (and Steve Buscemi)

Beautiful film. Loved it.
A career-best performance from Gere.
The framing of shots / cinematography is highly effective.
The attention to detail (particularly with extras and sound production) is very impressive.
And, perhaps most important of all (for me), it's a very weird film. Almost hypnotizing.
It is a slow film and it's long - over 2 hours - but I wouldn't cut out three seconds.

I just watched Mulholland Drive and if you asked me what it was about, the only honest response that I could give you is, I have no idea...

Mind Game

mind_game_3.png

This is one for chemically enhanced midnight viewing. If Tekkonkinkreet had an otaku love child with Waking Life's weird Japanese cousin and then somebody splatter painted an experimental anime by blowing the bastard's third eye out through his asshole you'd have something like Mind Game (this impression being easier to appreciate after you've seen it).

34.gif

I had this one on my back burner for years and it finally boiled over for me late the other night during a reunion with MXE when I saw Netflix had just added it to their Instant viewing service. If you can manage to watch it under similar circumstances it makes for a wonderful surprise.

Last edited:
Re-watched The Messenger, after enjoying Time Out of Mind.
The writer/director - Oren Moverman - has made three great films.
Rampart / The Messenger / Time Out of Mind: all excellent, IMO.
And Steve Buscemi is in all three!

I haven't been this interested in a writer/director for ages.
I'm going to check out his non-directorial efforts, next.
Particularly looking forward to Love & Mercy with John Cusack.

Last film I watched: Jurassic World. It was awful. By far the worst of the series. Just horrible.

The film before that: Avengers, Age of Ultron. Best Avengers film so far. The Iron Man vs. Hulk fight was amazing. Spader was good as Ultron, but the plot was totally uninspired and his character (despite being acted well) got boring/predictable... And there were too many characters to begin with, before they started adding extra Avengers. Why add Quicksilver into the mix when X-Men Days of Future Past already did that character (and did it much better than in Ultron)?

Robert Downey Junior has been paid over a quarter of a billion dollars to play Iron Man in 7 films (4 Iron Man films, 1 Captain America film & 2 Avengers films.) He negotiated 80 million dollars for Iron Man 4... At this rate, he's going to be in the top 10 richest actors of all time list.

The Sound of Music.

Yeah it was cause of a girl but the movie is pretty good. Never saw it before but that Julie Andrews got it, the star quality. Probably prefer Mary Poppins but whatever it was ok for the doe, a deer song and all that twirling shit on the mountain.

i just watched:

frank.jpg

note - it's not about frank sidebottom. it is fictional and is inspired by frank sidebottom.

i really enjoyed it.

alasdair

The picture isn't showing up, but since I just watched what I believe to be the same movie I'm going to guess that the movie is Frank.

Sometimes I wish I had a large over-sized fake head. Plus I have the same name.

The main character, the red haired guy Jon (Domhnall Gleeson) was in another movie that I saw recently, About Time. I found that really enjoyable and it had a creative storyline. A fun movie to watch.

Edit:

Watched Big Hero 6 last night. Hilarious! Great animation, good story, fun movie! I had no idea what it was about prior to watching and I didn't have very high expectations so I was pleasantly surprised with the film.

I fail to see how karate makes me a better healthcare companion.

Last edited:
^ fixed the picture. given he's wearing a large, papier-mache head for 99.5% of the movie, michael fassbender's performance is awesome.

big hero 6 is fantastic.

i'll check out 'about time'.

alasdair

i watched 'aeon flux' for the second time after having seen it a long time ago. it was really good - visually stunning and some nice concepts and themes.

alasdair

^ fixed the picture. given he's wearing a large, papier-mache head for 99.5% of the movie, michael fassbender's performance is awesome.

Is that a real psychological problem? Like would it be listed in the DSM V? At one point he mentions having a certificate

Quick question:

In The Wolf of Wall Street right in the first few minutes there is a scene where there is a hooker bent over with her ass in the air and Leo looks like he's snorting coke off her ass. You see him sprinkle white powder and then he was a straw, but upon a closer look he is inhaling it through his mouth, not sniffing it. What drug would that have been?

^Coke.

People do this, apparently, when they fuck up their nasal membrane... (and they can afford to waste coke.) Therefore, it establishes two things about the protagonist: he is extremely wealthy and extremely drug-fucked.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-36028.html

Last thing I saw: Manglehorn with Al Pacino and Holly Hunter.
It's a slow movie that is (in parts) badly directed/edited.
Builds up to a satisfying (albeit soft) climax.
I liked it (somewhat), but I'm a sucker for cats.

manglehorn-poster.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the response.

Leo got paid to do that scene. I can't think of any way not to be jealous of that.

What was the last movie I saw? Oh yeah, Black Mass. Meh. Needed better editing and a little more backstory or something. It came off as flat is the best way I could describe it. Plus it's seeing Johnny Depp in another biopic. I've seen him as Dillinger in Public Enemies and now as Whitey Bulger in Black Mass and neither performance or movie is nearly as good as Blow.

Last edited:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. 8.5/10.

I was genuinely surprised that I enjoyed this as much as I did, but it is a really solid movie.

Last edited:
Quick question:

In The Wolf of Wall Street right in the first few minutes there is a scene where there is a hooker bent over with her ass in the air and Leo looks like he's snorting coke off her ass. You see him sprinkle white powder and then he was a straw, but upon a closer look he is inhaling it through his mouth, not sniffing it. What drug would that have been?
He was actually blowing the coke into her arse. Like a more romantic version of plugging

Last one I saw was the new Mad Max movie, Fury Road. It was eh. Got really good reviews. I liked the graphics/visuals, but the plot was meh, and the characters were uninteresting.

Stretch with Patrick Wilson and Ed Helms.
I didn't like it. Turned it off before the half-way mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.