Renamed: Upgrade Discussion Thread

If we're putting a reply button on each post, would it be possible to also add some kind of indicator at the beginning of the post that indicates to whom the post is directed? I'm noticing already that people are clicking the "Reply" button and not mentioning who they are replying to (since it appears to them that the post is directly above or linked somehow), leaving confusing responses. Something like @Cane2theLeft at the beginning of the post if I was replying to the post above by clicking the reply button on the post would work well. The "Post Reply" button or Quick Reply options would be the only things that would give a blank text box for responding to a thread in this case.

ya good point, although i'm not for the @"enter username" idea, as then the people have to scroll up and try to find the post. that's one of the most frustrating things about the youtube comments lol. the way it's set up i think people just get confused/forget that they aren't actually the next post underneath the person above them, since the reply box opens up directly under the post for convenience. hopefully with time people will start to recognize their mistakes, but if not i think maybe the reply button should somehow be removed? or is there maybe a way to add another button to distinguish between the reply options? (i.e., one would just say "reply" and clicking it would bring you to a new page, and then another button could say "post-comparison reply" (of course something that means the same thing but much shorter. its late and cant think atm)).

Hello thar Bluelight admins/mods/techies and users.

Love the look of the new site but having a couple problems.

With advanced search I can't specify which sub-forum I'd like to search in. Am I missing something obvious or are you guys still working on integrating this? Noticed the same exact thing on another forum today.

In chrome the 'quote' button doesn't seem to work all the time and I'm also unable to edit my posts in chrome. I'm sure these bugs be figured out eventually just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Thanks for all the hard work and it's good to have bluelight back ;)

Sorry for the double post.

Hit the edit button and it does actually open the editable text window, however clicking on 'save' and 'go advanced' does not work.

edit: Ok awesome just tried it on firefox and no problems whatsoever with editing my posts.

Might be a good idea to keep threads on each individual issue open in the help forum. Looked like two of the threads may have answered my problem but they had been merged into this thread (I think) Don't have time to read the whole 5 pages (probably 10 pages before too long) so just read the first page and last page and didn't see anything related.

Cheers :)

ps. Love the auto-save when I'm typing a post...will save many headaches in the future.

Last edited:
I miss the tab that would tell you when someone posted something new into a thread that you subscribed to.
I'm having a hard to time to find "my subscriptions"... and its anoying that it lists all of my subscribed threads not just the ones that have new posts.
I also preferred the smaller text, this new bluelight seems very bulky, which is unnecessary.
I'm happy that this site is being updated with new changes and work is being put in it, it is a home to a lot of us, and I will be patient with the new changes.
The autosave in the comment box deserves a thumbs up! Love it.

^ I don't owe you shit but I am a thief... I actually just stole a ball of psychic energy from you. I guess I DO owe you that now :\

Is it just me or does this new set-up get the "servers are too busy check back later" error message WAY more frequently now than ever before.
I very rarely remember that happening before, but now it's slower and it seems to get overwhelmed much quicker.
I don't care how it looks, per se, but how it functions, and it's noticeably slower and laggier.
Maybe this is just the growing pains or something, and it'll all get fixed up.
But what's the explanation for the increased frequency of the servers getting too busy?
Is it just that everyone came back on right around the same time, and it would've happened on any forum with similar amounts of people suddenly joining?
And the text wrap thing is weird. lol

^ It isn't slower for me, but I do get the same "servers are too busy" messages.

Site tells me I have a "bad url" when i post pics from photobucket

^ It isn't slower for me, but I do get the same "servers are too busy" messages.
Same here.

Came here to ask if anyone else, when they click "quote" or "reply" are shown the spinning "loading" icon the entire time after hitting the button? Not sure if it's a bug or if that's just the way the site is now. Kind of annoying, but there are bigger fish potatoes to fry. :p

"the servers are too busy at the moment, please try again later"

FUUUUUU

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are aware of the issue causing the "server is too busy at the moment error" and are working to get it fixed as quickly as possible. Thanks for reporting on it here :D

except for the issue for a bit with the busy signal i've found response much improved. thank you for the improvements.

Glad BL is back - aside from the errors last night, it seems to be performing a lot better than it was.

I'm not very happy with the new theme, as a lot of others have said. I have a 1080p screen, and I still feel like I can't get enough on the screen, because there's so much padding between messages in a thread. This trend towards wasted screenspace (which almost every software company is guilty of) is getting really frustrating. It's as if developers think that screen size has grown like CPU speed (until this winter, I had fewer pixels on my screen than I did in 2001), when available screenspace is static in the horizontal and shrinking in the vertical (back in the early 2000's, everyone I knew ran 1200x1024, now 1376x768 and 1440x900 is more common - and yet, vertical screen space is wasted, everywhere).

There 15-20 pixels of deadspace between posts, then a 20-30 pixel tab that only has 1 button on the far right to minimize the post, then another 20-30 pixels with just a number and a tiny icon on the left, then another 10 pixels or so on the bottom just to give a curve. That's like 80 pixels. The three elements of content could fit in a 20 pixel bar, or even on the same line as the date/time of the post, with 5-10 px of padding between posts. Zooming out helps, but it makes the text too small to read before it fits as much content as used to fit on the screen.
I'm imagining something like this - we don't need full on graphic design, we just need the padding hacked off.

Also, why is there no word wrap in the quick reply box? Before, if a word went off the edge of the quick reply text area, the whole word would appear on the next line. Now, only the letters that would go past the end of the line do. This makes editing/proofreading posts kinda hard... Is this just me? I'm running Chrome - but chrome rarely has browser-specific bugs.

Last edited: