Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Megathread The Netflix Mega-thread vs Netflix Originals Suck

The Man From Earth is surprisingly good. Won't be everyone's favorite, but I watched it twice and will def. watch it again.

(If you're religious, you mayyy want to avoid this title.)

wat

No. Perhaps my image didn't show up? It's the poster for "The Art of the Steal." It's a documentary on the famous Barnes art collection. Check it out, highly recommended. :)

WTF, no joke I just read 3 cases ruling on the Barnes controversy today for class. Weird.

I haven't had netflix in a few years and when I did the instant play titles were pretty scarce. But they did have Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and that movie is the balls.

Why watch any movie that does not feature a beautiful, young actress on the smooth, saturated film of the 60s?

A Woman Is a Woman-subtitles
Pierrot le fou-subtitles
L'Avventura-subtitles

HD:
Bunny Lake is Missing-do yourself a favor, don't read a word about it before watching
Splendor in the Grass

antichrist
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Waco: The Rules of Engagement
The thin red line

Anime:
noein
mushishi
shigurui
Ghost in the Shell stand alone complex
Darker than Black

I'll go through my list and update with some more over the weekend

The Doom Generation, The Living End, Smilie Face
Ex Drummer
Donnie Brasco
Some call it a Sling blade (Short)
Sleepers
The Man who Wasn't there

and Horror:

Audition
Ichi the Killer
Noriko's Dinner Table
The Night of the Living Dead
Muholland Drive, Twin peaks, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead

I went through everything that I had rated with four or five stars. Some pretty good stuff in here.

The crazies
the host
sympathy for Mr. vengeance
the orphanage
the Man who wasn't there
the bothersome man
the boss of it all
let the right one in
Man bites dog
bad Lieutenant
Ink
the machinist
days of being wild

anime:
Metropolis

documentary:
encounters at the end of the world
the King of Kong
land of silence and darkness
the thin blue line

tv:
archer

Am I doing it wrong, or is Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance really completely devoid of subtitles?

very odd...when i play it through my computer no subtitles. with i play it on my ps3 they show up.

These are the good but lesser known films I've seen on instant viewing that come to mind at the moment:

Dark films:

Plague Dogs: Extremely sad 1980s animated film by the same team that made Watership Down -- with voice acting by John Hurt, who can do no wrong. If you want to turn you child into a rabid animal rights activist (or possibly crush their souls -- which is sometimes healthy) have them watch this. It is not Disney's soul-thinning pablum that helps so much to turn children into deluded garbage people living second hand lives of diversion. It's meant to traumatize. Watch it on your own before showing it to them to judge for yourself.
(Contains graphic depictions of animal experimentation at a national defense laboratory).

1984: Another John Hurt film. IMO it's underrated in the extreme, most likely because it's a film adaption of the classic novel, so it naturally will attract lots of haters. It's a film, not a novel, judge it by filmic criteria and you'll see it's great.

Europa: When American pacifist Leopold Kessler (Jean-Marc Barr) journeys to post-World War II Germany, he lands a job as a sleeping-car conductor on the nightmarish Europa railway line, where he discovers a group of partisans violently resisting the Allied occupation. Though he steadfastly remains neutral, before long, his lover (Barbara Sukowa) reveals a secret that forces to him make a stand. Lars von Trier directs this surrealistic thriller.

Bronson: A film about the escapades of the UK's most violent prisoner. The film team got in trouble for sneaking an interview from the cell where the actual "Charles Bronson" is held to intro the film at festivals, but you can only hear it on the actual DVD. Still worth an instant view, though.

Dead Man's Shoes: A slick straight forward revenge horror about a ex-military man hunting down a group of drug dealers who abused his retarded brother. It's a lot better than that description makes it sound.

Frontiers: One of the best of the "French New Wave" horror films. Total unrelenting nightmare stuff. If you like brutal horror with lots of atmosphere (e.g. The Devil's Rejects), you'll enjoy this.

Imprint: Takashi Miike's most disturbing film. Banned from airing on Showtime as part of the network's Master's of Horror series. Beautiful and surreal in parts, sickening in many. Only for those who like to, or feel an obligation to, explore very dark subject matter.

Moon: Great sci-fi tragedy about a man alone on the moon in charge of a mining operation who runs into "himself" and tries to escape. Lots of philosphical themes centering around the nature of self-identity.

Following: Christopher Nolan's first feature about a man obsessed with following random strangers. He's noticed by a robber and the two team up.

Comedy:

Lewis C. K.: Chewed up (Stand up)

Doug Stanhope: No Refunds (Stand up): Really nasty stuff.

Cashback: Romantic comedy I didn't find schmaltzy (rare). A super market worker and aspiring artist finds out he can freeze time.

Documentary:

King of Kong: About the world of obsessed classic video game competition. More a comment on the American obsession with being the best at something, anything, no matter how pointless (IMO). It reminds be a lot about people's absurd respect for mainstream sports stars and the entire meaningless irresponsibly destructive enterprise that is sport entertainment and fandom. If you don't see the analogy you're social conditioning is too deep to save you.

Classics:

Fanny and Alexander: Ingmar Bergman film epic about a Swedish Family in the early 20th century that gets broken up by the death of the father and the remarriage of the mother to a religious zealot with a potentially murderous past. Contains elements of the occult and mysticism, but portrayed in the most beautiful and elegant ways. I watched it on LSD, and after using LSD for about 12 years or so watching this on it was the first time it really cracked open my heart. Easily among the best films ever made.

Surreal:

Alice: Jan Svankmejer's most accessible work and the best adaptation of Alice in Wonderland I've ever seen.

Three Extremes: Three short horror films: Takashi Miike's segment, entitled "Box," is stunning. The other two segments aren't really surrealistic but are nevertheless highly unique horror stories worth viewing.

Heartwarming:

The World's Fastest Indian: This fact-based drama stars Anthony Hopkins as quirky New Zealander Burt Munro, a 67-year-old grandfather who flies across Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats and blazes into the record books at 183.586 mph on his customized Indian Scout motorcycle. If you love nice honest-living old men I recommend it highly (also, The Straight Story -- which is not on instant unfortunately).

Awesome thread. Finally something to take my mind off the fact that I can't afford drugs anymore, have gone through withdrawals from Benzos and SSRIs.

The whole series of Louis CK show is wonderful. I've watched it several times.

Christmas Carol with George C Scott is fantastic this time of year.

Joe Rogan's stand up is a good performance.

"I am Comic" is a good documentary.

I've been watching these over and over... one of my daughters-in-law has a subscription and signed me on to her account on my laptop.

Checking over my list of what I've seen in the past few weeks that I watched again, I found...
Basic Black-The Lewis Black Story
Super High Me
Gonzo
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride (I am a huge Hunter S Thompson Fan)
Janeane Garofalo: Live in Seattle
The Botany of Desire
Ram Dass: Fierce Grace

I know Woody Allen is considered persona non grata because he has made some strange choices, but he went though a period of making movies I adored... movies that spoke to me... and they were...

Another Woman

September

The Purple Rose of Cairo

Alice

Thanks to everyone who posted here so far. I am looking up your movies in another tab while posting to this thread. Awesomeness

Plague Dogs: Extremely sad 1980s animated film by the same team that made Watership Down -- with voice acting by John Hurt, who can do no wrong. If you want to turn you child into a rabid animal rights activist (or possibly crush their souls -- which is sometimes healthy) have them watch this. It is not Disney's soul-thinning pablum that helps so much to turn children into deluded garbage people living second hand lives of diversion. It's meant to traumatize. Watch it on your own before showing it to them to judge for yourself.
(Contains graphic depictions of animal experimentation at a national defense laboratory).
I'm going to have to check this one out, though I may have to turn it off--I can't watch *too* brutal of shit. Yet somehow I sat through Cannibal Holocaust (I think because of the copious amount of cannabis :p).

1984: Another John Hurt film. IMO it's underrated in the extreme, most likely because it's a film adaption of the classic novel, so it naturally will attract lots of haters. It's a film, not a novel, judge it by filmic criteria and you'll see it's great.
Will def. check this out once I read the novel (not to compare them, but so I don't get images in my head as far as what the characters look like).

Moon: Great sci-fi tragedy about a man alone on the moon in charge of a mining operation who runs into "himself" and tries to escape. Lots of philosphical themes centering around the nature of self-identity
Totally worth viewing.

Alice: Jan Svankmejer's most accessible work and the best adaptation of Alice in Wonderland I've ever seen.
I agree.

Your other suggestions I will most likely have to check out once this semester ends.

Netflix is the shit

I'll just reccond a few random things:

TV - Lie to Me (seasons 1 & 2)

Movies_Anime - Cowboy Beebop the Movie, The Ghost in the Shell Movie