Thesis Patterns of Cannabis Use

NKGardner

Greenlighter
Hello,

My name is Nathan Gardner and I am a PhD student studying at the Centre for Public Health at Liverpool John Moores University. I am looking to recruit male and female participants (aged 18-25 years) to complete a voluntary and confidential on-line survey that should take no more than 30 minutes to complete.

The survey can be found here: http://www.survey.ljmu.ac.uk/cannabis

The purpose of the study is to get a better understanding of the influence of a variety of factors in determining patterns of cannabis use. The research project also investigates health behavior, including topics such as illegal drug and alcohol use and mental health. By getting a better understanding of how these factors influence cannabis use and potential problems, researchers and health workers will gain a better understanding about the ways in which services supporting cannabis users should be delivered and designed.

The study is being run from June 1st 2011 to December 31st 2011. The survey is open to anyone between the ages of 18 and 25. The questionnaire can be completed even if you HAVEN'T any experience using cannabis and I don't assume that because you fill it in you have used drugs. This study does not make judgments about use or assumes that use always leads to problems. Unfortunately, I will be unable to provide compensation for participation in this study.

For more information regarding the study, send me a message/e-mail or visit the survey website: http://www.survey.ljmu.ac.uk/cannabis

I can be contacted via the Bluelight private messaging system. Please note that I am unable to reply to any queries about individual cannabis use concerns.

Thanks for your help,
Nathan Gardner

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nathan, thanks for posting your survey. Best of luck with your thesis.

Interesting survey design - being all on one page! The design seems very clean. I didn't want to complete the survey because I'm too old for your demographic group. Just to check though, are you fine with 18-25 year olds from any country or are you interested only in UK residents?

Yes, the survey is open to 18-25 year-olds from any country. Sorry for such a late response!

Filling it in now, taking a short break as all those boxes to click on the one page seemed to go on forever

Unable to take due to diagnosed anxiety disorder... :(
oops. it says people diagnosed with anxiety disorder are not eligible to participate? that should be in bold. or maybe it is. either way, i missed it.

the survey was interesting, trying to honestly answer about how cannabis has impacted different aspects of your life.

edit:
fuck, the study isn't even still open. it's like i can't think clearly. and am less aware of my surroundings. look what cannabis has done to me!

OK I done that, even though I gave up cannabis I felt my opinion still mattered and it passed alot of much not needed time.
Very long survey though I must add, took about 15-20 minutes

Beautifully structured and interesting.
This survey made me, know myself better.

I really hope the study is published here.

Why's this still at the top of the page? Isn't it closed?

Also - why exclude those that USE it for anxiety and depression? Seems to cut out a very large % of users, no?

The link appears active to me although original post says study would be closed by now. We will contact the researcher to confirm and remove from headers if study is indeed closed.

Oh, I was unaware that it is closed by now, as the link is still active. I took the survey, although I am NOT a fan of cannabis, nor have I used it very much (no more than five times) but I felt that a broader range of habitual use and the like would be beneficial. Hope that's cool. ^^;;

The principal researcher's email address is not working.

I emailed what, I presume, is the supervisor's address for a status update.

What kind of drug is Semeron? It is listed in the survey as a possible drug that has been used in the past week, 30 days, year etc..

If it's not a real drug, then odds are that it is in there as a fake drug, to see whether there are people just fooling around with the survey. From what I understand, the researchers then remove anyone who says they have used the fake drug.

Yeah I just checked google. Semeron is a 'fake' drug... lol!

I really don't see the point of excluding anyone who has had any mental health issues. Asking about them and factoring it into their conclusions, yes, but it seems like a detriment to the study to exclude them from the survey. Wouldn't it be interesting to see how people are using cannabis to self-medicate and their rates of success, or whether there is any correlation between certain mental disorders and patterns of cannabis use? I just don't see the purpose in excluding anyone who has ever been diagnosed with a mental disorder/illness/depression/etc along with anyone who has ever received treatment for drugs or alcohol. Is there a reason?

'Semeron' is used to weed out (pun intended) people who want to prove how macho they are by selecting every damn drug.

It tends to be used in surveys of younger people/kids, though not exclusively.