• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

What to do if a GHB overdose occurs

^^^^

what jessejames said...

GBL come-up time is A LOT faster than pure NaGHB...

the suggestion Jes posted was most probably meant as a joke, but this is a serious thread and great harm could be caused if it was taken... Only make helpful posts here. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweetpea if G is in your neighborhood get some.

Oh of course :) And yes it's GBL- I am not comfortable dosing new people, or seeing people go overboard-I worry so much. I actually printed your post and put it in my friends drawer. One thing you didn't address was what you should do when you or a friend starts humping everything in sight, is there a cure? ;)

Thanks again

-

^^ Thanks for posting that. If with any drug, you are afraid that someone is in serious danger, CALL 911, don't worry about them being pissed at you when they come too, it only means you care and don't want to see them dead. Its always a hard judgement call of to call 911 or not to and friends being pissed or getting in trouble plays a big role in it, but in the past month I almost lost 2 friends to drugs and if 911 wasn't called they would have died. Do what is right. And if you're going to do drugs, its always a good idea to have a sober person in the bunch to watch over ya ;)

A cold shower when someone is starting to pass out on G can do wonders..

You can start with a low/normal temperature to not upset the person too much, then make the water colder if they keep nodding out.

and uhm be carefull about how many clothes you take off if it's a girl you don't know well :\

I had this happen to one of my friends while in a club...I had got kicked out and was waiting for my friends to come out looking for me (bastards wouldn't even let me back in to tell them)..nex thing I see, my friends carrying ...hmm let's call him "R", passed out completely.

I think he took around 10ml of pure GBL and an E. I knew that he would have been alright, and we had a semi-doctor in our group that was watching his pulse/pressure/heartbeats... but we had to get him back so as not to get in trouble with the police, roaming around nearby. So a friend blew some coke into his nose and sure enough, he was back with us within minutes, asking what the hell had happened and saying "let's fucking go to an afterhours club".

I don't condone fighting drugs with more drugs, but I guess this was the quickest solution to an otherwise pain-in-the-ass problem

So the bottom line is open the airways and call an ambulance...and supposedly no uppers like meth or coke. Is there anything else we could do? What sort of thing would a paramedic do in this situation that we might be able to replicate?

I saw a few G overdoses treated by paramedics, and most of the times they have no idea what they're dealing with.

what you shoud do is put the OD'er in the recovery position (Lying on his/her side) and make sure the airways are open, that the breathing is not "wet" (probable vomit inhalation)...and wait for the ambulance to come.

Lets not forget that Samantha Reid also had THC and yes, ALCOHOL, in her blood.

Two little details that were apparently meaningless to the mainstream press.

Biggest danger is vomiting whilst unconscious. Like mentioned above, just turn the poor victim on their side and monitor their breathing. Eight times a minute is fine, less than that and you need to pay close attention. Six breaths/minute you want to make that dreaded call for the ambulance.

Inform the paramedics that it is GHB and the only thing that needs to be done is breathing supported...NOTHING ELSE.

GBL is 1.6 times as bioavailable as NaGHB. Its pushier than GHB and can get you in trouble very quickly. Someone said something about 10ml of GBL...in a single dose? I doubt it.

The so called 'convulsions' or 'siezures' are no such events. They are an phenomenon called clonus, which is a type of muscle spasm that occurs when the signal from the brain to the group in question is somehow interrupted or altered. The GHB brain chemistry alerations are temporary, which means of course that the twitches vanish very quicky. Looks freaky, but nothing to worry about.

The main trouble with GHB is simple ignorance. A person flopping like afish, vomiting and unconsious, can certainly cause a panic, but a clean airway and breathing at safe rates is all that need be assured...the rest is just panic material that represents no threat whatsoever.

Fact: GHB sleep can be equivalent to Glasgow scale 3 coma, which is the deepest coma there is, but it is not an actual coma. The current scientific medical term is 'state of unarousability', because there are paradoxical elements to this state.

Another effect of GHB widely overlooked is the effect of protecting the cell from oxygen starvation. Sort of provides a safety margin for that slowed breathing...also explains the lack of any brain damage whatsoever in so called comatose patients.

GHB hysteria is much more dangerous than the drug itself.

All that talk about withdrawals from GBL is silliness. You will not get anything like that from short term use. It takes a LOT of GBL or GHB to create any type of withdrawals, and the withdrawals are not in fact withdrawals, but rather a dopamine imbalance coupled, generally, with metabolic acidosis. I have posted extensively on this matter, so I won't go further here.

I can tell you that I have many times stayed on GHB for weeks, 24/7, 20-30 ml daily, and stopped cold when I ran out without ANY type of 'withdrawals'. Just kept my blood pH proper and all was well.

I am, in fact, on G right this minute. Of course it must've been slipped to me, as I do NOT have any, and would never ever take any intentionally due to its illegal status.

Last edited:
Well

GHB is a very odd drug.... People doing stupid shit on it however is very normal. I think everyone touched on the basic ideas outlined in protecting yourself and your friends from it's effects. I think however there is one thing more important than anything mentioned above..... MODERATION!!!!

Shot after shot after shot..... you will hit the floor sooner or later. GHB has a funny effect of hiting you very hard after a short time. For the most part it is safe to "fall out", but it still is easier and more fun to moderate it.

Much luv!

id like to thank you all bluelighters. my girlfriend is very comatose from g right now andi panicked. i remembed seeing this thread on here and came on to check it out. i calmed down and i almost called the paramedics. i am just making sure she is breathing now. i will post more tomorrow. thank you all very much again.

The thing about a coma is that noone knows how long it lasts. Unconsciousness on G is generally a bad idea. Saying you're fine after going into coma is idiocy. A friend of mine had to be revived three times at the hospital after falling into coma on G and alcohol. He was clinically dead those three times. A coma does not mean you are safe.
Doctors generally have a tendency to badmouth drugcombos. I'm certain that amphetamine after g overdose have saved lives. At a party a guy took an OD, and while he vommited to get most of it up, the others hacked up a line for him. Immediately after snorting it, he fell asleep and slept for the better part of a day.
Anyways there is no chance in taking chances on dosage. You could stop breathing after two caps, or you could get dizzy after 9. I would never leave people in coma.

uh...its not a coma. Apparently the girl woke up fine or we would be reading about the disaster by now. Again, as long as breathing is at an acceptable rate, and the airway is kept clean, where, exactly, is the danger? This assumes that GHB is the only drug ingested, of course. If other drugs (especially alcohol) are invovled then its best to call the paramedics.

Amphetamines are not the anser to a GHB state of unarousability. Close attention and education are the answer.

Someone said something about 10ml of GBL...in a single dose? I doubt it.

I didn't say it was a single dose. My friend had 10ml throughout 3, 4 hours...

Anyway synchrojet... I agree with most of the things you're saying, but even if GHB withdrawals are not withdrawals from a medical standpoint, as in your body actually needing GHB to keep functioning in balance, they are VERY real and VERY nasty. Specially when you're not ready for them.

Plus, If you're saying that neurotransmitters/receptors being out of whack is no withdrawal, go tell that to benzodiazepine addicts.

I agree 100% fujicrow, about the withdrawal issue. The reason that I am particular about the mechanism involved, however, is because with this understanding a person can easily avoid GHB withdrawals and still use it on a regular basis for long periods of time.

By simply allowing the dopamine to clear every third day a buildup will not occur. It is very easy to go a day without GHB, in fact it is easy to quit anytime if one is not having to endure the rebound.

The problematic areas of the rebound are primarily a result of the conversion of dopamine to epinephrine and norepinephrine, in large amounts.

GHB is very forgiving in the beginning in terms of withdrawal intensity. It takes a good amount of regular, unwise, ignorant dosing to really get into any kind of trouble with this drug. I think it is tragic that there is so much misinformation out there about it. If I were to give advice about use, I would say use it every other day, maximum. Even with GBL, every other day is not a problem at all. 1,4 butanediol, on the other hand, can result in some problems becuase ther are issues of delayed metabolising, adn this can more reqadily result in premature redosing.

If one finds they are deveoping a tolerance, all one has to do is quit for a week or so and their dopamine levels will have returned to baseline.

The idea with GHB is to have a very high level of awareness, and know when to back off. It's very easy to control GHB impulses, especially when compared to legitimately addicting substances such as crack or heroin. Meth, even, is another story entirely when talking about cravings. GHB cravings are mild at best. Anyone who cannot moderate their intake should not do any drugs at all, because anything else will prove to be unbearably addictive compared to GHB.

In general, though, I agree with pretty much everything you have offered about GHB.

I'm now working on a medical team that works parties. Generally speaking, when a person drops out on the dance floor from GHB we bring them back to the med area and let them sleep, monitoring their vitals. If they start to breath too shallow we pack em up in the ambulance. Otherwise, they generally wake up on their own accord.

true thing about the cravings. Even while on full on withdrawal, I had no desire to do GHB. Quite the contrary in fact, I just wanted it to end.

Anyway, I have almost exclusively always used GBL. Is there anyway, in your informed opinion, to avoid blood acidosis?

Sure. Two things, Fujicrow. The first is to keep your diet healthy in general, with lots of greens and no starches. Next, incorporate 4-6 oz of wheatgrass juice into your diet daily. Green Kamut is fine...its powdered and it is what I use. Grapefruit juice should be taken in good quantity...potassium gets leached out of the system with GBL. Then, regulate your usage. I go on a 7/3 split. Seven days on, three days off. Never ever had a problem that way, no matter how much I take during the seven on. If I go 24/7 for the seven days, I find a slight angst on day TWO of stoppage. By day three, all is well and I am ready to hit it again.

Of course, since I am out of everything, I'm on the no G 24/7 approach, which also works pretty well...lol.

GHB and GBL ( a more potent version of GHB) are untraceable when in the body. If you send a friend to the hospital for an overdose, you need to tell the docs so they can take the right treatment measures. if you dont your no friend at all and you should be ashamed. covering your ass should be the least of your worries. im sure the person would rather be in a little trouble and ALIVE, than be in no trouble and dead.

PARTY RESPONSIBLY

mi$$ $hameful said:
GHB and GBL ( a more potent version of GHB) are untraceable when in the body. If you send a friend to the hospital for an overdose, you need to tell the docs so they can take the right treatment measures. if you dont your no friend at all and you should be ashamed. covering your ass should be the least of your worries. im sure the person would rather be in a little trouble and ALIVE, than be in no trouble and dead.

PARTY RESPONSIBLY

By the way, dont send them to the hospital just cause theyre in the
g-hole. if they only took G you probably have nothing to worry bout. theyll come around. but if mixed with alcohol or other barbituates, check vitals, try to wake them and they get worse(shallow breathing, vomiting while asleep) then you should probably call. ppl can still choke on vomit if sitting up or on their side. and let someone who knows a lot about g make that decision. and if you dont know much about g, then what the hell are you doing taking it?! stupidity, pure stupidity