simple possession

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartingmom

Greenlighter
hello..my son was charged with possession of a controlled subtance, this past monday...i belive they stopped him because he was speeding...when they stop him i guess the police officer could smell pot in the truck. After staying on the side of the road for more than 2 hours they let him go with a promise to appear...he is out of town so what he has told us is that he only had about a gram or 2...from what i am reading is that in Ontario if you have less than 30g it is stated as personal use? He has neve been in trouble with the law and does not have crmimal record. We are very consurned parents we dont agree with what he did and he has to own up to his mistake...just wondering if anyone has an opion on what may happen to him...we will seek legal advice but until then we just wont to know what he may be up against...

In the United States, first time offenders often must attend classes, pay fines, and probably random drug tests for a period of time. Once this has been completed, the charges are typically dropped.

I have no idea about Canada.

In the United States, first time offenders often must attend classes, pay fines, and probably random drug tests for a period of time. Once this has been completed, the charges are typically dropped.

your crazier then a $7 bill on a sunday morning with its head cut-off! In the USA first time offenders spend at least a night or full day in jail once you arrested for "simple possession" (if they have enough to bond out, if not you sit there for at least a month or longer waiting for their court date). I had a friend in highschool that was pulled over for speeding and the cop searched his car without his permission and found, and i kid you not, ONE 'alleged' marijuana seed on the floor board of his car. He was charged with marijuana possession and spent at least a day in jail, got put on like 2 years of probation, and got his license revoked. Right behind places like china, the US is the WORST place to be caught with ANY KIND of drug, including marijuana (its schedule 1 in the USA, same as heroin and LSD)

^ ^^ It sounds like U.S. drug offenders experience justice differently depending on the jurisdiction (i.e., which state, county, city).

your crazier then a $7 bill on a sunday morning with its head cut-off! In the USA first time offenders spend at least a night or full day in jail once you arrested for "simple possession" (if they have enough to bond out, if not you sit there for at least a month or longer waiting for their court date). I had a friend in highschool that was pulled over for speeding and the cop searched his car without his permission and found, and i kid you not, ONE 'alleged' marijuana seed on the floor board of his car. He was charged with marijuana possession and spent at least a day in jail, got put on like 2 years of probation, and got his license revoked. Right behind places like china, the US is the WORST place to be caught with ANY KIND of drug, including marijuana (its schedule 1 in the USA, same as heroin and LSD)

First off, holding is not jail. Second off, punishment isn't the same everywhere in the US. On my first offense, which was marijuana possession 1-2 oz in Texas (Austin, which is the most liberal city in Texas, but it's still pretty bad as far as drug laws go), I spent about 7 hours in a really shitty, solitary confinement style holding cell before being bailed out that night. It was really shitty, but I didn't go to jail and neither do most people who get bailed out.

Some places are as bad as you say, and you can definitely get charged for possession of 1 seed. But you won't in most places, how one is charged completely depends on where you are.

don't forget community service lol

id think if they let him go on the spot it wont be that bad.

also i thought canada decriminalized it??

either way for a gram or two the chances of him going to jail are slim to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.